Tony Hawk's Project 8 - General Discussion

I can't wait for Outpost to ship mine... 1up's review made it just sound like a completely open world and nothing but goals, which is what I've wanted in a THPS game for a very long time.

[quote name='Roufuss']I can't wait for Outpost to ship mine... 1up's review made it just sound like a completely open world and nothing but goals, which is what I've wanted in a THPS game for a very long time.[/QUOTE]

That pretty much sums it up! Some areas are locked at first but aren't hard to open up. I think I need two or three more myself.

[quote name='Roufuss']I can't wait for Outpost to ship mine... 1up's review made it just sound like a completely open world and nothing but goals, which is what I've wanted in a THPS game for a very long time.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'm really looking forward to, as well. I'm far, FAR from the best TH player in the world; I just have fun going everywhere and seeing what I can do. Doing this without having to go to the 'choose level' screen is a big plus for me. I can't wait to play it :)

The 360 version is a little hard to find in my area. My gamerush is only getting one copy to sell. Best Buy was sold out. Luckily, Gamefly is coming through for me so I can play it. I love tony hawk even if it is the same old same old.

[quote name='deadite76']That pretty much sums it up! Some areas are locked at first but aren't hard to open up. I think I need two or three more myself.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome... to be honest, I played THUG 1 and 2 and American Wasteland and I just feel that trying to add some kind of outlandish story to the series really ruined them, along with some incredibly stupid objectives.

I mostly just played Classic mode, and wishing they made a game based off of that.

Now they have, where the story only serves as a purpose to shred things up, and they finally have the technology to make one giant open ended world.

All the reviews that are giving it low scores are just calling it "more of the same" but I have been dying for "more of the same" of THPS 1 - 4 for years now... I wish Outpost would hurry up and ship me my damn order!

Are there any secret characters yet? That's always one of the best parts.

Picked it up today from Target, and there is a slip of paper that says there is a Target exclusive character with a code, pretty sweet.

[quote name='rustyrage']Picked it up today from Target, and there is a slip of paper that says there is a Target exclusive character with a code, pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

It's just Travis Barker I think and the code is on GameFAQ's ;)

The game is completely awesome... it feels just like the older THPS games.

I'm digging it more than anything else out right now, but that's because I was always a huge huge THPS fan.

This game has definitely surprised me. I picked it up on sale at Fry's, and I've put more time into this one than GOW (still love that one) and COD3 (disappointed in this one). If you're a fan of the series, then this is a no-brainer purchase.

[quote name='toper']This game has definitely surprised me. I picked it up on sale at Fry's, and I've put more time into this one than GOW (still love that one) and COD3 (disappointed in this one). If you're a fan of the series, then this is a no-brainer purchase.[/QUOTE]

I'll even go more than that... if you are a fan of THPS 1 - 4 than this is a no brainer.

The game has had ONE cutscene at the beginning and the rest of the game has been skating and goals. It is so awesome.

Also, the emphasis on leaving your board has been reduced by a ton... you can still get off the board but it's not such a large part of the series, it's all about being on the board on this one.

[quote name='rustyrage']You're on crack.[/QUOTE]

I agree there.

American Wasteland was one of the worst Tony Hawk's I ever played... I'm so glad they went back to basics.

In my mind this is THPS 5 and THUG 1, 2, and American Wasteland never existed.

is this turned into the official game topic?

If so I want to talk about chances for THPS9.

I am hoping for a return to the ways of THPS1-4. Where it is level based and not a giant open level. I also don't want to create a character. I want to start off choosing between Tony Hawk, Ryan Scheklar, Stevie Williams, Daewon Song, Bam Margera, Bob Burnquist, Mike Valley. Make the game more about the pros and not so much making "yourself a pro.

Change it to classic style, have single levels, a 5:00 minute time limit, and a checklist of say 15 goals per level. Find the secret tape, get a high score, pro score, sick score, high combo, collect skate and combo, then a bunch of other level goals.

I just miss that feel from THPS1 where you would keep running the same line over and over until you finally hit it just right with enough speed to make it up to the secret tape.

[quote name='mr ryles']is this turned into the official game topic?

I am hoping for a return to the ways of THPS1-4. Where it is level based and not a giant open level. I also don't want to create a character. I want to start off choosing between Tony Hawk, Ryan Scheklar, Stevie Williams, Daewon Song, Bam Margera, Bob Burnquist, Mike Valley. Make the game more about the pros and not so much making "yourself a pro.

Change it to classic style, have single levels, a 5:00 minute time limit, and a checklist of say 15 goals per level. Find the secret tape, get a high score, pro score, sick score, high combo, collect skate and combo, then a bunch of other level goals.

I just miss that feel from THPS1 where you would keep running the same line over and over until you finally hit it just right with enough speed to make it up to the secret tape.[/QUOTE]

There is classic 2 minute timed sessions in Project 8 with 10 goals per checklist, with all the things you just named... the real challenge comes from doing them all in one run. I just did the Suburbia one, all 10 goals in one run in 1:42, got my shiny achievement for it and it took about two hours :lol: Try finding the perfect line to get all 10 goals finished in under 2 minutes, and that feeling from THPS 1 should return.

The one in Suburbia is called Property Values, if you want to check it out. You have to get the three scores, find the missing DVD, get skate, get combo, and then do some other miscellaneous crap.

I've wanted the game to go back to using the pro's for a long time now instead of creating your own character but I think the majority likes it the way it is.

Likewise, I don't think we'll ever go back to single levels now that a seamless non loading world can be done... I'd rather have it this way though, I like it alot better. I also like alot of goals in that alot of the sick scores actually take some challenge, rather than just "Breaking 5 things to get a goal".

I really haven't seen a goal yet that wasn't about skating in some form, which is a huge improvement over recent Tony Hawk games.

Having a scoreboard for each goal was an awesome idea too. I'm #44 in the world for Property Values!

[quote name='rustyrage']You're on crack.[/QUOTE]
Word.

This game is way better than American Wasteland. This isn't an amazing game, however. If I had to give it a numerical rating, I'd give it a 7.

The insanely limited create-a-skater puts a larger-than-you'd-think damper on the experience.

Ah, see, if I had to rate it I'd easily go for a 9 or a 9.5... alot of the sick goals are really challenging and there is such a sense of accomplishment pulling off some incredibly hard shit.

I can't wait until this game is $20. I played the demo and liked it but I am a little tired of TH games (even though I like them) and I refuse to pay full price for it - especially since THUG2 was $10 less than 6 months after release.

man the create a skater is lame. I don't want to skate looking like any of the dudes they offer so I just ended up choosing a girl so I could at least have some eye candy on the screen. Wasn't there supposed to be facemapping with the vision camera for this game? Create a skater on this is worse than previous versions big time.

i'm not trying to sound like a biggot, but most of you are playing this game from a gamers stand-point. coming from a skater's standpoint, the game appears to really be unrealistic. at first glance i thought it would be a breath of fresh air, but it's soonly turning into a version of repetitive, unrealistic challenges, comparable to THUG2.

After the first real price drop, I'm all over this. I know it was $45 over in the deals forum, but I have bought too many new games as of now to get it.

[quote name='xxxafibenderxxx']i'm not trying to sound like a biggot, but most of you are playing this game from a gamers stand-point. coming from a skater's standpoint, the game appears to really be unrealistic. at first glance i thought it would be a breath of fresh air, but it's soonly turning into a version of repetitive, unrealistic challenges, comparable to THUG2.[/quote]

yeah, but that would be lame if all you could do was realistic stuff.

[quote name='xxxafibenderxxx']i'm not trying to sound like a biggot, but most of you are playing this game from a gamers stand-point. coming from a skater's standpoint, the game appears to really be unrealistic. at first glance i thought it would be a breath of fresh air, but it's soonly turning into a version of repetitive, unrealistic challenges, comparable to THUG2.[/QUOTE]

I take it you've never liked any THPS game then, since, from a skater's standpoint, they all must be pretty unrealistic.

I don't even remember when THPS games touted realism as a strong point.

[quote name='xxxafibenderxxx']i'm not trying to sound like a biggot, but most of you are playing this game from a gamers stand-point. coming from a skater's standpoint, the game appears to really be unrealistic. at first glance i thought it would be a breath of fresh air, but it's soonly turning into a version of repetitive, unrealistic challenges, comparable to THUG2.[/QUOTE]

Really? I thought all skaters could pull off a double backflip christ air heelflip. I thought all the guys in those videos they showed where just newbs.

[quote name='Roufuss']I take it you've never liked any THPS game then, since, from a skater's standpoint, they all must be pretty unrealistic.

I don't even remember when THPS games touted realism as a strong point.[/QUOTE]

the best realistic gaming title was Thrasher: Skate and Destroy for PS1... after that, skating went to insanity (I still remember a skating game that had boss fights cosisting of the player killing huge bugs for the PS2...?).

haha well the other tony hawks, like THPS1 and 2 are awesome. in American wasteland, there was a sense of realism with Auto Kick off.THUG1 was pretty realistic, the story was badass and the areas were rad too because most of them were just like city type places. i don't really go crazy in the game unless it's for challenges or whatever, then when i play free-skate i play realistic. it's looking hard to play realistic judging by how some of the levels look. i mean, they've already done suburbia in past games, they've already done the school, and who the fuck wants to skate in a foundry/factory again like in THPS3? i sure as hell know that i don't.

and
[quote name='mr ryles']Really? I thought all skaters could pull off a double backflip christ air heelflip. I thought all the guys in those videos they showed where just newbs.[/quote]

i've only done a double backflip christ air, i can't manage to get that heelflip in.. it's just too risky.

I am pretty darn pissed. Somehow, my save file disappeared. I was doing fine, about 6 hours into career mode, played multiplayer with Brak for a bit. Two days later, I go to play again, and there's no "Continue" option. I keep trying to load, but all I can do is start a new career. I really don't want to do that. That just sucks. Project 8 is worth just that to me -- an 8 out of 10 -- but I still was having fun and wanted to keep it up.

Oh well...it's not like there's nothing else to play. I would've liked to beat it, though; I was too far and too pissed to start all over.

Anyone else experience this at all?

[quote name='ViolentLee']Anyone else experience this at all?[/QUOTE]
I think I did, actually...

When I first played the game, after creating my custom skater, I beat the entire tutorial (see achievements), saved (or, at least, I swear I did...) and called it a night.

The morning I played with you, I noticed that my save was gone. Thankfully, I didn't do any of the single-player portion, so I didn't lose anything, other than my custom skater and my finishes on the tutorial portion of the game.

Like I said, I swear I saved that shit...

Maybe it screwed me during one of the, like, 4 times my 360 froze up while I was playing online that night. Strangely, I had no problems when you and I were playing.

Since THPS3 the series has had minor changes, so of course I stopped buying the game. This go around might be different with the addition of "Nail The Trick". This mode is what TH is all about and is a breath of fresh air for the series. Finally Neversoft is back to making innovative changes instead of tweeking old shit.

I really liked the demo, and I haven't been into a TH game since 4 (and the only one I've played the hell out of was the original). I'll probably nab this tomorrow with the B2G1 at GameStop.

[quote name='mr ryles']is this turned into the official game topic?

I just miss that feel from THPS1 where you would keep running the same line over and over until you finally hit it just right with enough speed to make it up to the secret tape.[/quote]

Ahh...I know what you mean. The good ol' days. It's like perfection only gets hit what, maybe once or twice (4 with tweaks and bumps and pushes in this case). Still, to see next gen graphics on a classic true to school tony game would be awesome. Wasteland was weak, but at least it played nicely on the DS for some quick and intermediate DS play

Picked this up last weekend after borrowing it from a friend in November. I'm lovin it so far, only the 3rd Tony Hawk I've ever owned. I got the 1st one for my birthday the year it came out, and bought 3 when it was $10 at EB.

My only problem with this is the goals that don't really have much to do at all with actual skating, for example the hilltop falling one with the gates. I see no way how that's possible even with practice. I mean, I can't even get AM on it, and when I read other people's stories of how they got it they say they got lucky and his a glitch and just walked through them then found a way to crash for the however high hospital bill.

I'd love to play some online sometime, just shoot me a friend request or invite anytime.

Wow, I've read so many great reviews for this game. Hmm....really makes me want it.

[quote name='Roufuss']Ah, see, if I had to rate it I'd easily go for a 9 or a 9.5... alot of the sick goals are really challenging and there is such a sense of accomplishment pulling off some incredibly hard shit.[/quote]

I hate the damn hospital bill goals as well. It just doesn't make sense. I'll take what looks to be a really gnarly (to use proper skating terms) fall and I'll get less broken bones and hospital bill than another fall that doesn't seem so brutal. And the downhill one through gates--I was able to actually guide my character down, but only good enough for the Amateur level. I don't know how I'll ever get the Pro or even the sick one in that.

There's just some sickeningly difficult Sick objectives as well, especially the Classic ones where in order to get the Sick rating, you have to finish what sometimes amounts to over 12 tasks in a run of say 3 minutes.

A glitch I've run into: I was able to get the achievement points for beating Bam's Pro Challenge without ever having to do any of his challenges. You don't actually clear him from the goals, but you do get the achievement points. (Which came as a surprise, 'cause I'm not good enough to do the sickeningly long grind line he has you do for the first run.)

Anyway, once you start up his challenge he has you grinding this long line collecting 16 icons all in one run. What I ended up doing in trying to get to the top and working my way down the line triggered that challenge as complete. Just skate down to the right side of the map (if you're entering from the school yard) down where the quarter pipes are next to the huge smokestack like building. Skate back and forth up and down the ramps vert-style and it'll just kick you to the next challenge and give you the achievement without any of the work. The wonky thing is that once the next Bam challenge starts, it freezes, but you can still opt to quit out of the challenge.

Needless to say, I'm stuck 'cause I just can't figure out how I'm ever going to be able to do that one grind run to clear challenge one.

I just rented this game and while it is indeed awesome and a great addition to the TH franchise and great improvement over recent titles in the series, the difficulty in this game is definitely marring it from great status. There is something fucking wrong with those Sick goals. I have only gotten two, one was getting the air in the pool at the school and the other was by some glitch/getting lucky.

I'm actually getting happy with just getting Amateur on some of these missions.

The rag doll physics are fun, but I really don't care for the hospital bills as I can go flying to 50 fucking cartwheels and magically not break enough bones to get Sick or even come close to Pro level. The missions are fun though.

Anybody can help with the school classic twins challenge. I can get the scores and skate mostly, but can't figure out how to let the kids out and how to stop the noise thing

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I just rented this game and while it is indeed awesome and a great addition to the TH franchise and great improvement over recent titles in the series, the difficulty in this game is definitely marring it from great status. There is something fucking wrong with those Sick goals. I have only gotten two, one was getting the air in the pool at the school and the other was by some glitch/getting lucky.

I'm actually getting happy with just getting Amateur on some of these missions.

The rag doll physics are fun, but I really don't care for the hospital bills as I can go flying to 50 fucking cartwheels and magically not break enough bones to get Sick or even come close to Pro level. The missions are fun though.

Anybody can help with the school classic twins challenge. I can get the scores and skate mostly, but can't figure out how to let the kids out and how to stop the noise thing[/QUOTE]

Sick goals are for the best of the best... they are hard for a reason, but they also optional, so you don't have to mess with them if you don't want to. They also get easier once you've built your stats up a ton.

Getting Sick on the Classic challenges... now THAT'S hard as hell. I was only able to do it on Suburbia.

[quote name='Roufuss']Sick goals are for the best of the best... they are hard for a reason, but they also optional, so you don't have to mess with them if you don't want to. They also get easier once you've built your stats up a ton.

Getting Sick on the Classic challenges... now THAT'S hard as hell. I was only able to do it on Suburbia.[/quote]

Technically they aren't optional. To get to spot 4, you have to have 80% of the challenges beaten at Pro/Sick difficulty. To get to spot 1, you have to have 100% of the challenges beaten at Sick and find 100% of the gaps. fuck that.

[quote name='Trakan']Technically they aren't optional. To get to spot 4, you have to have 80% of the challenges beaten at Pro/Sick difficulty. To get to spot 1, you have to have 100% of the challenges beaten at Sick and find 100% of the gaps. fuck that.[/QUOTE]

Well, yea, they aren't optional if you want to 100% the game, but if you just want to do everything there is and unlock everything you can just beat the game on Amateur / Pro.

Pro isn't that hard at all, though, and Sick isn't so bad once you max out your stats... I've gone back and done alot of challenges on Sick no problem.

Now, getting Sick on the Classic challenges? That's hard as fuck, I won't lie there. Having to do all 10 goals in two minutes? Almost impossible. It took me about 5 hours and finding one perfect line and nailing it PERFECTLY to get Sick on the Suburbia challenge... I don't even see how it's possible on any of the others.

[quote name='Roufuss']Well, yea, they aren't optional if you want to 100% the game, but if you just want to do everything there is and unlock everything you can just beat the game on Amateur / Pro.

Pro isn't that hard at all, though, and Sick isn't so bad once you max out your stats... I've gone back and done alot of challenges on Sick no problem.

Now, getting Sick on the Classic challenges? That's hard as fuck, I won't lie there. Having to do all 10 goals in two minutes? Almost impossible. It took me about 5 hours and finding one perfect line and nailing it PERFECTLY to get Sick on the Suburbia challenge... I don't even see how it's possible on any of the others.[/quote]

Well, obtaining spot #1 is beating the game for me. I ain't gonna be able to do it though. The Suburbia one I did on my first try, but Main Street took 80-something tries. I think I'm done with this game.

[quote name='SteveMcQ']I hate the damn hospital bill goals as well. It just doesn't make sense. I'll take what looks to be a really gnarly (to use proper skating terms) fall and I'll get less broken bones and hospital bill than another fall that doesn't seem so brutal. And the downhill one through gates--I was able to actually guide my character down, but only good enough for the Amateur level. I don't know how I'll ever get the Pro or even the sick one in that.

There's just some sickeningly difficult Sick objectives as well, especially the Classic ones where in order to get the Sick rating, you have to finish what sometimes amounts to over 12 tasks in a run of say 3 minutes.

A glitch I've run into: I was able to get the achievement points for beating Bam's Pro Challenge without ever having to do any of his challenges. You don't actually clear him from the goals, but you do get the achievement points. (Which came as a surprise, 'cause I'm not good enough to do the sickeningly long grind line he has you do for the first run.)

Anyway, once you start up his challenge he has you grinding this long line collecting 16 icons all in one run. What I ended up doing in trying to get to the top and working my way down the line triggered that challenge as complete. Just skate down to the right side of the map (if you're entering from the school yard) down where the quarter pipes are next to the huge smokestack like building. Skate back and forth up and down the ramps vert-style and it'll just kick you to the next challenge and give you the achievement without any of the work. The wonky thing is that once the next Bam challenge starts, it freezes, but you can still opt to quit out of the challenge.

Needless to say, I'm stuck 'cause I just can't figure out how I'm ever going to be able to do that one grind run to clear challenge one.[/quote]
to beat this, while grinding just keep jumping. It makes it sooo much easier

#1 actually only requires 95% sick, rather than 100. I'm at #6 right now, but I've been looking at a gap guide so hopefully I can move up tonight.

And for those having trouble with the classic goals at sick difficulty, here's a video of someone getting sick on main street, and he's finished the suburbia one too if you need help with that one. I used it, and it helps a bunch.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLrdBQ1M7h0[/media]

And here's a video I found for the construction crash goal:
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CdfwvHH-Ng[/MEDIA]

bread's done
Back