Too Human - Gen. Discussion & Info

I can't wait to try the demo, but the latest previews have turned me off a bit for this game (all mention that it's quite short).

man o man, I really want to like this game. Really I do, but it just seems uninspiring and the right stick to control your melee just seems lame. I didn't enjoy the combat at all and with games like God of War around today....well I guess its just sorta poopy. Definitely a rental just to go through it, but as far as a day 1 purchase? Epic fail. Too bad though, I really love Silcon Knights. The animation is so choppy looking though and when your floating through the air fighting, ugh it just seems so cheesy and yuck.

Any more impressions? I'm downloading it now (13% in five minutes on a 1.1GB file.. I love XBox Live), but from everything I've heard so far, it's not good..

After playing the demo I don't know how I feel. I've been waiting for this game for a couple of years and the only words that come to mind are solid and average, not spectacular or awful, it's very middle of the road. The game takes some chances with the combat which takes some getting use to, but it's not as innovative as I thought is could be (or as bad as others have described around the web). The RPG elements are strong. However, the limitation of only one class and lack of coop make this not the best demo (unlike Crackdown's demo) making it difficult to discern how I feel. If this game is financially successful for MS to greenlight part two I would image that it would be better now that the groundwork has been laid. Regardless I would recommend the demo because it's still pretty fun.

It's good.
Barely.
Graphics are average.
Yeah, the controls were pretty wonky at first, but when you have dudes up in the air doing DMC-esque combos, it's pretty sweet.

This is one of those games that I knew would be awful from the moment it was announced. I never bought into the hype for this because I always thought it was going to flop.

Judging by everyone's responses to the demo, it looks like I made the right call...

The demo felt very average to me as well. Control, gameplay and graphics were all just okay. Maybe I need to give it another chance.

I knew nothing about this game before other than it being highly anticipated and just played through the demo. Average is right. If I was on hype train for this, I'd probably be really disappointed. Part of me was hoping to be blown away.

Its like take the dullness of KUF and put it in the future world of Mass Effect, minus the fun of Mass Effect. It seems like its okay enough to warrant a rental though.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']This is one of those games that I knew would be awful from the moment it was announced. I never bought into the hype for this because I always thought it was going to flop.

Judging by everyone's responses to the demo, it looks like I made the right call...[/QUOTE]

You've been waiting 9 years to say this. huh? :lol:

Just tried the demo as well. Average is putting it about right. I just didn't find it that interesting. Very bland environments, enemies uninspiring, Didn't care about the loot. Also i didn't find i was really fighting, just pushing the right stick around hoping something was there.

Snif, I really wanted a diablo clone, this aint it. I'll pick it up when its been discounted. I really wanted to like it, but I would be lying to myself.

I was really looking forward to this game, but I doubt I will buy it now. The graphics are nice, but the combat is so boring. The camera takes some getting used to as well.

All i can say is Wow to the demo.

day 1 purchase for me. Just finished the demo. I was on the fence at first thinking i'll rent it first and see, but now this is definitaly a day 1 purchase. The combat is great, the equipment and gunning is awesome. The cinimatics are great. It looks like there will be a nice deep story in the game although from the demo I was a little confused as to what was happening. A hack and slash RPG is just what i've been waiting for.

Will go preorder it tomorrow.

The only Cons i see so far are:

1. Menu's seem a little laggy

2. Your constantly getting new weapons/ammo but you can't concentrate on what exactly your getting since it displays to fast. So you constantly have to go through each armor slot and weapon slot to see whats new. They should have had like a little symbol that tells you which slot has new things in it or a section where it shows all your new things in contrast to your equipped stuff so you dont have to go to each slot individually.

3. The melee combat seems to take some time to get used too. Maybe its just me but i am constantly trying to use the right stick to adjust the camera.

4. Camera can get pretty funky at times.

Otherwise great game and demo. Dunegeon crawler / RPGish / hack n slash / with a decent story = WIN imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I put a solid 1.5 Hours into this demo and was unimpressed at first, but I dug deeper, ignored the camera, practice the controls....and I am now buying it on day 1

+Loot System
+Gun Combat
+Story seems strong
+Co-Op

-Melee combat mapped to the muther fucken RS?
-Wonky camera

The demo wasn't bad. Combat is reminiscent of Jedi Outcast (using the stick to aim attacks). There's definitely potential for depth with all the customization. I love Diablo, but I probably won't get it due to the combat.

Absolutely hate using the right stick only for melee. Also thought that the skill tree was rather weak and I'm not a fan for cameras I can't control outside of repositioning.

Outside of that I didn't find it bad, but considering how big melee was apart of it... I don't know if I'd buy it for anything more than $20.

Wasn't feeling it after playing the demo for around half an hour. I wasn't interested in the story at all either. Looks like a pass for me.

I was really disappointed in this game.
The controls are lacking, the camera blows, and the animation is choppy. You got my hopes up Silicon Knights, and you let me down.

I didn't try this demo, but I think they tried to hype this game, but interest was never there. Looked floppy from the start.

I tried giving the demo a chance. The game has horrible controls, the camera is awful, and the graphics are a disappointment. I was indifferent before I started the demo, but I will definitely pass on this game. I guess I really just don't like most hack and slash games.

Last edited by a moderator:
I played the demo for a bit and it has its pros and cons. What it does well, it does really well and what it does not so well, lets just say it needs some major tweaking.

First the pros:

The story piqued my interest. I am a big fan of sci fi in any medium and the way they combined ancient mythology with futuristic elements (both characters and environments) is cool and unique. The settings were gorgeously done for the type of game it is; it looks LOTR was a big influence on the game.

Now the cons:

The animation looked stiff and the characters looked and moved like action figures rather than people. The combat controls is also another negative. It seemed like a de-evolution back to the days before God of War revolutionized the action genre. While GoW was smooth and visceral, Too Human was the exact opposite. The camera was also annoying because I had to keep pressing LB and RB all the time. I should be concentrating on the game but the camera kept distracting me.

The reason I keep comparing GoW to TH is because they both deal with mythology as the inspiration and putting a new spin on it. Silicon Knights should have known that.

Summary: The saving grace for the game looks to be the story and the atmosphere but the actual gameplay is sorely lacking. If they do manage to make a TH 2, they have to go back to the drawing board for the animation/combat/camera.

Verdict: Will wait to buy this game at $20-30.

This demo is taking me forever to download. How long did it take you guys?

[quote name='Blackout542']This demo is taking me forever to download. How long did it take you guys?[/quote]

Maybe 20 mins, the demo took me an 1 hr and 22 mins to beat, pretty lengthy demo

[quote name='Poor2More']Maybe 20 mins, the demo took me an 1 hr and 22 mins to beat, pretty lengthy demo[/quote]

Weird. I've been downloading for over half an hour and I'm at 35%.

Took me like over an hour to download. Xbox live is being spammed right now by people downloading demo's trailers and everything. Dont worry it will keep chugging along.

Btw i cant wait for this game. Demo was fantastic. After playing ninja gaiden 2 there is no camera that can ever phase me again. I really hope they are at least halfway done with #2 and it will be released spring 09 at least.

Once I got a hang of the controls it was actually pretty cool. Definitely a learning curve involved though. I don't understand one thing though. The art direction on the armor is great, but the character models(faces and such) are terrible. You can definitely tell they had to build a new engine after much of the core work was done. I really wish they had a co-op demo. I think that is what will really make this game fun.

[quote name='ninja dog']total piece of shit, as expected.

10 years dev time *bow*[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's just trolling. CAG doesn't need your kind.

[quote name='wwfward']The reason I keep comparing GoW to TH is because they both deal with mythology as the inspiration and putting a new spin on it. Silicon Knights should have known that.[/QUOTE]

That's kind of flawed logic. The mythological elements are just the trappings: Too Human and God of War are drastically different genres of game, so comparing the two based on elements of the story or setting is like comparing Dead or Alive to Izuna, because they both have ninja.

[quote name='trq']That's kind of flawed logic. The mythological elements are just the trappings: Too Human and God of War are drastically different genres of game, so comparing the two based on elements of the story or setting is like comparing Dead or Alive to Izuna, because they both have ninja.[/QUOTE]

Very true... I think it was a mistake to have Too Human look so much like an action game when it isn't.

[quote name='eastx']Yeah, that's just trolling. CAG doesn't need your kind.[/quote]

Yeah, I just played the demo and tore through the first groups of enemies by holding the right analog stick forward and not much else. There's neon everywhere and typical bald head military game dialogue but with some nordic terminology thrown in every few lines. They animated limbs with hardly any animation in the character's body. The juggle attacks have the same animations in air. The controls are beyond fucked up and different for the sake of being different (i.e. they provide no additional functionality that a normal action game/rpg control scheme couldn't have accomplished.) On top of that, the main character's mug is based off of Denis fucking Dyack himself.

Is that a complete enough explanation or is it still trolling because you

I didn't like it. Major pass for me. :( Sucks too, was looknig forward to it. Will probably rent it for the online play, it might help it some. Some single player blows IMHO.

Story looks bland, but could be interesting later on. Combat controls are beyond lame.. seriously, right stick for melee? Add the camera too, it's really bad.

The graphics were a mixed bag. Armor and environments looked really good. The faces looked tacked on.

Loot system and customization look promising.. I'm torn.

I'll definitely rent it. Seems like a perfect game priced at 40$. For such a long development period they could have done a lot more though.

One more thing. The rumble in this game (if there is) isn't satisfying. I'm assuming it's just because it's a demo, but every time I pointed the stick at someone, and I got contact with the enemy, I really wish I would've gotten some sort of big impact on my controller instead of not feeling anything. That really bothered me.
But it might just be me.

I actually got bored during the demo. Those ridiculous flashbacks should come in between dungeons -- not in the middle of them. I also thing that using the right stick for melee combat (instead of for fluid camera control) was an interesting experiment -- but a failed one. I think this game is gold now, so what you see in the demo is what you're gonna get. :(

Bring on Fable 2 and Fallout 3!

Beat the demo twice (it took me a while to get use to the controls).

Pros:
+ Story seems interesting
+ The game is somewhat fun
+ Controls can lead to some nice combos

Cons:
- Combat lacks fluidity
- the camera takes some time getting use to
- the enemies aren't aggressive enough

Personally, I'll rent the game just for the story, although bigger bosses and tougher enemies could make the game more enjoyable. Not quite what I expected.

[quote name='eastx']Trolling is just saying something quick and negative with no explanation or evidence that you actually tried the product. I don't mind if people dislike this game (or any game) as long as they give it a chance and have valid reasons for disliking it. Thank you for clarifying your position. Sorry I hated on you.[/quote]

No problem and I appreciate the explanation. :)

[quote name='kill3r7']Beat the demo twice (it took me a while to get use to the controls).

Pros:
+ Story seems interesting
+ The game is somewhat fun
+ Controls can lead to some nice combos

Cons:
- Combat lacks fluidity
- the camera takes some time getting use to
- the enemies aren't aggressive enough

Personally, I'll rent the game just for the story, although bigger bosses and tougher enemies could make the game more enjoyable. Not quite what I expected.[/quote]

yea I wanna like this game and im still 75% still buying it but the stick was kinda weird I always feel like im not doing enough or something. If anything maybe they can make it so u can remap the buttons? probally not =( I dunno I still wanna buy everything kill3r7 said is what I feel like too. Ill play the demo again when I get home

For those of you who actually liked the demo like me, theres a way to play the commando and berserker class in the demo. I have tried this and it just worked for me.

I have a CONFIRMED way to unlock the berserker and commando for all those of us who were only able to play the Champion. Follow these steps:

1- Shut down the Xbox360 (if it isnt already)
2- Unplug your internet cable
3- Start up the 360 and go to the date setting
4- Change the year to 2009
5- Play demo with Berserker or Commando

You can also just logout of live i heard instead of unplugging everything.

I liked the demo. I didn't have the sound up so I didnt hear much of it. I just wanted to see if I would like the game play and from the demo I didn't think it was bad. I may download it again and try the trick to get the berserker and commando.

bread's done
Back