Too Human - Gen. Discussion & Info

I would be however I will be working over the weekend. Monday-Wednesday are better for me because that as of now is my weekend.

[quote name='pete5883']Mielke liked KUF: CoD though. So it's not supposed to be much of an insult.[/QUOTE]

Oh what? Wow. He's lost all credibility for me then when it comes to dungeon-crawling, loot collecting games.

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Oh what? Wow. He's lost all credibility for me then when it comes to dungeon-crawling, loot collecting games.[/quote]
That's a bit of a stretch though, as his latest blog post lists a bunch of loot-centered games that are his favorites in that subgenre and it's not on there at all. His post on why he couldn't put Circle Under Fire down isn't very glowing, especially when he agrees with a D- review for that game.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's a bit of a stretch though, as his latest blog post lists a bunch of loot-centered games that are his favorites in that subgenre and it's not on there at all. His post on why he couldn't put Circle Under Fire down isn't very glowing, especially when he agrees with a D- review for that game.[/QUOTE]
Didn't see those. I remembered this article:

Let's just be honest: Like most reviewers, we didn't really enjoy Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom. In his review of the game, 1UP copy editor Andrew Fitch called the game "the perfect way to sabotage the Kingdom Under Fire series."

But then something strange happened. 1UP's editor-in-chief of videogames, James Mielke, got really into the game. He played it obsessively, quickly moving past the faults that so many saw, and discovered an addictive Diablo II-style lootfest that he couldn't get enough of. Fascinated by his fascination, Mielke got in touch with Kingdom Under Fire's game director, Henry Lee, to discuss how he found such an enthralling experience within a game that so many people were quick to ignore.

And quotes like:

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle Of Doom might be one of the best games to successfully combine the addictive Diablo II-style dungeon hack-n-slash qualities with item (loot) collecting around.

He never says he likes it, though, just that he obsessed over it. The fact that he didn't bring it up in his post on his newest blog post on the subject says a lot about that to me.

YO YO YO ITS HERE CAGS lol. even though its gettin harsh reviews i dont think its goin to stop me from buyin this game

I just beat the first boss. Not to hard. Only died once and got a dre just as I was about to kill it. I still have yet to try the armor codes again. I can see me playing this game more then once with all classes.

[quote name='sendme']I just beat the first boss. Not to hard. Only died once and got a dre just as I was about to kill it. I still have yet to try the armor codes again. I can see me playing this game more then once with all classes.[/quote]

Thats good enough for me although I was going to get it regardless.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']He never says he likes it, though, just that he obsessed over it. The fact that he didn't bring it up in his post on his newest blog post on the subject says a lot about that to me.[/QUOTE]

I'd generally assume that becoming obsessed with a game generally means there's something enjoyable about the game to become obsessed with. I can't imagine he sat there playing for hours playing the game thinking 'Man I hate this game! I'll stop playing it, just after one more level'.

I think given the expectations, internet message board drama, etc, it will be impossible to find a truly objective review of the game.

Personally, I enjoyed the demo and plan on picking up the game and judging for myself. I only expect the game to be a dungeon hack with a combat system that's more fun than the usual dungeon hack of pressing the attack button over and over until enemies are dead.

I purchased this game around 10 am this morning at Gamestop, I was a little skeptical at first due to reviews bein less then favorible. After 3 hours of game time, I have to say I'm impress with the deep character advancement, great loot system, story has me on my toes. As for the camera its actually pretty good once you choosee the right camera mode for your style (I prefer ISO, pulled back camera view).

Bottomline if you go in on this game looking for a good action/RPG, and love some loot and wouldent mind having something in your 360 until Diablo III comes out, then you will not be dissapointed. I have no clue how one reviewer said KUF: Circle of Doom was better (that game was terrible, even for a loot fanatic).

If you guys have any questions, just shoot, and I will try to answer them to the best of my knowledge

[quote name='whiptcracker']I'd generally assume that becoming obsessed with a game generally means there's something enjoyable about the game to become obsessed with. I can't imagine he sat there playing for hours playing the game thinking 'Man I hate this game! I'll stop playing it, just after one more level'.[/quote]
Sometimes bad games can be oddly compelling, compelling enough that you have to keep playing out of principle. These are a few of his quotes about the game from his blog post:

For the record, I completely agree with Andrew Fitch's review, and yet this is one of those crap games that I keep on playing. Kind of like Bullet Witch, but different.
The list of FAIL that Circle of Doom conjures up is going to be so massive that by the time I'm done, you too will wonder why on Earth I'm playing it after acknowledging its faults, but bear with me.
Still, the lure of even better stuff (the best stuff usually drops in the infrequent boss fights) and harder difficulty levels has me enduring what must be one of the most unfinished games of all time. A simple dungeon crawler can and should be easy enough to get right, and yet so few of them do

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sometimes bad games can be oddly compelling, compelling enough that you have to keep playing out of principle. These are a few of his quotes about the game from his blog post:[/quote]

This I have to agree, it happen to me, When first playing Two Worlds, I heard how horrible it is, but come friday I tried it out and low and behold I sat their playing the whole weekend (20 hours+) 700 worth of achievments, and I still dont like the game but it had me by the balls and I dont know what was keeping me their......

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sometimes bad games can be oddly compelling, compelling enough that you have to keep playing out of principle. These are a few of his quotes about the game from his blog post:[/quote]

Kinda why I kept playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 all the way to completion.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sometimes bad games can be oddly compelling, compelling enough that you have to keep playing out of principle. These are a few of his quotes about the game from his blog post:[/QUOTE]

I can see that point. There have been some pretty bad games that I've played over and over again, though generally it was because the game did something different enough from other games that I kept coming back to it even if it did everything else wrong.

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm having fun with it.

I made my berzerker a cybernetic; hope I made the right choice.[/quote]

From what I have heard—Giant Bomb—it doesn't matter either way.

I have yet to even see the preorder armor. I thought it would be in my inventory when I started but it was not.

[quote name='Mojimbo']Anyone know if the pre-order armor is locked to a certain level?[/quote]
From what I hear, no its not. However, it basically becomes obsolete after the first few levels

I've been going back and forth. At first I was unimpressed with the controls and camera. I got used to both and was enjoying myself....until the 2nd boss fight. I just finished it minutes ago. I won't go into any spoilers but my god it is the most irritating boss fight I can remember. I'm sure I have had a worse boss fight in some game in the past....but if it exists I've blocked it from my mind. Also it has nothing to do with difficulty since the way the death system is, the game seems to have none.

[quote name='SoulReaver']From what I hear, no its not. However, it basically becomes obsolete after the first few levels[/QUOTE]

Does anybody know where to get the armor? I thought I could buy it in the store where it says download content, but I don't see it there.

you have to create your character then the armor you start out with should be the preorder armor, if not it should be in your inventory

Does the game throw away loot that's worse than what you have equipped? One hour plus and I don't have a single piece of extra armor or weapons in my inventory.

Definitely enjoying the gameplay so far. The opening cinematics were simultaneously cool (story) and hilarious (robo animation gliding lol!). Still trying to get a handle on the "advanced" combat tricks, but getting there.

I'd play more tonight, but I'm just too tired. Soon as I get home tomorrow, the first level will be finished.

Now, for your viewing pleasure:

A defense of Too Human:
http://api.seesmic.com/#/video/bC3G2bh7jy/watch

And just for kicks:
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/2humanalypse-now-strictly-for-my-gamerz/160/

[quote name='Mojimbo']Does the game throw away loot that's worse than what you have equipped? One hour plus and I don't have a single piece of extra armor or weapons in my inventory.[/quote]

Check your loot management settings on the bottom of the equipment page. Make sure it says "off" or "smart". I messed up and started with "everything" getting salvaged.

[quote name='Callandor']I'm sorry, let me rephrase the question, based on your prior post:

Is anyone who is actually planning on picking the game up interested in coop this weekend?

There, that's better.[/quote]

I could play some coop this weekend.

I have some pre-order codes I will post, I have no idea if its one-time only use or one code will work many times - either way here is a few:

R38B4-HG2TF-MVYWF-R89XK-2RH7W

KY6VG-63HDK-2YD4F-T88FM-PJTDY

W39FM-MR8GF-3DDDD-QV4QJ-V4VBT

FW9RP-7V88R-KQMQP-X6DRB-HKYWJ

KDYTJ-HRMG9-72T9D-47B4W-GPC48

GQTR7-B97TD-H72RD-98PH3-WHBVQ

XVX3M-DRVJV-7CP3B-XJVJY-2GFJG

B9Y6G-2GF8B-K4RD6-84FWR-2CDYT

KTJHK-7VKVY-PFYKB-MW484-7BV78

I would like to know if they are multi-use or one-time. So if you use one, or get shot down please let me know.

Enjoy!

[quote name='fuss']I have some pre-order codes I will post, I have no idea if its one-time only use or one code will work many times - either way here is a few:

XVX3M-DRVJV-7CP3B-XJVJY-2GFJG

I would like to know if they are multi-use or one-time. So if you use one, or get shot down please let me know.

Enjoy![/quote]
I used this one, and it seems they are a one-time use. Thanks! :cool:

Ice Forest is the longest fucking level in video game history, with the most redundant fucking boss. Also, the fact that I was playing co-op with someone and they couldn't even see the boss or ride the elevator up to help me with the boss is madness.

All bitching aside, this game is terribly addicting (especially after getting 325 achievement points in one sit down).

And it seems that the last two levels will be even longer than the Ice Forest because it has 5 checkpoints instead of 4 :|

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Ice Forest is the longest fucking level in video game history, with the most redundant fucking boss. Also, the fact that I was playing co-op with someone and they couldn't even see the boss or ride the elevator up to help me with the boss is madness.

All bitching aside, this game is terribly addicting (especially after getting 325 achievement points in one sit down).

And it seems that the last two levels will be even longer than the Ice Forest because it has 5 checkpoints instead of 4 :|[/QUOTE]

I hate the second level. I though it was 5 and the rest were 3 or 4. It just felt like it would never end when the first one went buy so fast. I'm at 40% compleate in the game already though. So I dont see how much longer the last 2 or 3 levels can be.

[quote name='Tha Xecutioner']Ice Forest is the longest fucking level in video game history, with the most redundant fucking boss. Also, the fact that I was playing co-op with someone and they couldn't even see the boss or ride the elevator up to help me with the boss is madness.

And it seems that the last two levels will be even longer than the Ice Forest because it has 5 checkpoints instead of 4 :|[/QUOTE]

It seems that elevator co-op glitch is widespread.

That's fucking shitty.

[quote name='zewone']It seems that elevator co-op glitch is widespread.

That's fucking shitty.[/quote]Yeah, but that on top of you not even being able to see the boss? :bomb:

[quote name='sendme']I have yet to even see the preorder armor. I thought it would be in my inventory when I started but it was not.[/quote]

It was in my inventory at start. But then, I activated the armor code BEFORE I created my character.

It lasts for about the first....maybe 8 to 10 levels. After that, it's salvage bait.

[quote name='Callandor']Definitely enjoying the gameplay so far. The opening cinematics were simultaneously cool (story) and hilarious (robo animation gliding lol!). Still trying to get a handle on the "advanced" combat tricks, but getting there.

I'd play more tonight, but I'm just too tired. Soon as I get home tomorrow, the first level will be finished.

Now, for your viewing pleasure:

A defense of Too Human:
http://api.seesmic.com/#/video/bC3G2bh7jy/watch

And just for kicks:
http://www.giantbomb.com/news/2humanalypse-now-strictly-for-my-gamerz/160/[/quote]

OMHH, I agree with K.P.

:)

I'm about 5 or 6 hours into the game and I'm having a blast...just about half way through the 2nd area, I think....

Love the loot, love the combat...the camera goes wonky every blue moon but rarely in combat. The only "frustrating" thing I've found is that I'm so USED to being able to spin the camera, I occasionally still try to do it with the right stick. :)

The story, so far, is not bad. I think that you get a LOT more from actually stopping to listen to some NPC conversations (in town, especially) than you do from just blowing through the areas to get to the next cutscene. I'm a mythology "nut", of all kinds, and the Norse mythology is some of my favorite. That might be why I enjoy their take, so far.

The loot is varied, and even the "trash" can be somewhat useful (the exp % boost items outweigh their armor/damage value, sometimes). It all looks cool, even mismatched, and the full sets are bad ass.

The combat is visceral. It can get repetetive if you let it (the juggle mechanic can get overused, but it doesn't have to), but even when repetetive, it's FUN. I actually enjoy the slide mechanic and the different techniques for different enemy types (dark elves, polarity enemies, etc). And the "canon fodder" is LOTS of fun to just bash apart.

The graphics are stunning....I don't care if the character models aren't A+ quality, they do their job and get their point across. The backgrounds are lush. The framerate is steady and I haven't had a single "stutter" yet.

The audio is likewise awesome. Hearing the positional sound (Dolby Digital is almost necessary with the game) and the neat little sound effects (birds in Cyberspace??!!) really show polish. The base shakes my freaking house, which is always cool (though I found that, after the kids are in bed....best to drop my reciever into "night time" mode...otherwise I shake them out of their beds!).

Like KF, I see the "ugly" in the game. The interface is a bit of a pain. Two to three layers of menus to assign skill points...multiple layers to deal with equipment (especially salvage)...all that would need tweaking in a future title. It's not perfect, I'll grant you. But it's fun. And that's WITHOUT having delved into coop yet (something I'll try this weekend), which sounds like it might be even MORE fun than the single player game.

So, anyone scared off by the reviews...I'd say give it a shot. It's not NEARLY the abortion that many of the review sites are making it out to be. Does it llive up to the hype? Maybe not. But it's a good Action RPG, and does enough right to be worth a look.

[quote name='lilboo']So people ARE liking this game? :whistle2:k
Hmmm.[/quote]

I am, that's for sure.

This seems to be one of those times when the reviewers might not speak for the masses.

It's not that I disagree with a whole lot of the context of the reviews. They all bring up some valid points.

But for me, the FUN factor (which, after all, is what it's all about, right?) far outweighs the small (and sometimes not so small) objections the reviewers have.

I'd give the game a solid 7.5 out of 10, and that's without having played coop. Coop could bring that score up just a tad....though from reading about some of the glitches, it could also bring it down just a tad.

[quote name='Kilger']you have to create your character then the armor you start out with should be the preorder armor, if not it should be in your inventory[/QUOTE]
That makes sense. I was wondering why the stats were so high for my starting armor and my character looked different than the one on the selection screen. Well, I'm starting to find better stuff now anyway, so I guess it was a nice bonus, but not that great.

I really dont understand some of the bad reviews some of the reviews are giving Too Human. yes i agree the game has some problems but its just the first game and its not like most of the problems cant be fixed with a patch or two. Now when the second game comes out then ill be judging it hard because there is so much potential in this game its crazy like fucking 4 player coop or even 6. Anyways love the game and it was worth my 65 bucks of my hard earn money.

bread's done
Back