Torchlight (10/27/09) - Anybody else interested in this?

looks pretty fun so far to bad it runs like trash on my computer. I'm gonna tweak some settings see if I can get it to be playable and then I'll be jumping in with both feet.

[quote name='humidore']Anyone recommend any good mods? Hopefully installing/managing them with the Steam version is pretty easy..?[/QUOTE]

Use Torchleech (http://www.devsource.de/torchleech/) to install/manage your mods. It also checks for conflicts, yay! The ones I'm using are below.

Potion/Scroll Stacksize
Brighter Map (1.0)
Embershield & Frostshield low brightness (1.0)
Enemy Weapon Variety (1.1)
Gem Icon MOD (1.2b)
Heron's Sword Pack (1.0)
More Gem Types (1.2)
Potions Stacksize Mod (1.0)
Quiet Gem (1.0)
Respec Mod (1.0)
Shocking (1.1)
Small Font (1.31)

Most of them are just GUI enhancements, and none of them have huge effects on changing the vanilla gameplay of Torchlight -- I'm leaving that for my later playthroughs :)

Thanks!

[quote name='Mikerrrr']Use Torchleech (http://www.devsource.de/torchleech/) to install/manage your mods. It also checks for conflicts, yay! The ones I'm using are below.

Potion/Scroll Stacksize
Brighter Map (1.0)
Embershield & Frostshield low brightness (1.0)
Enemy Weapon Variety (1.1)
Gem Icon MOD (1.2b)
Heron's Sword Pack (1.0)
More Gem Types (1.2)
Potions Stacksize Mod (1.0)
Quiet Gem (1.0)
Respec Mod (1.0)
Shocking (1.1)
Small Font (1.31)

Most of them are just GUI enhancements, and none of them have huge effects on changing the vanilla gameplay of Torchlight -- I'm leaving that for my later playthroughs :)[/QUOTE]

Yep, potions stacksize and respec mod are musts. One other I'd recommend for convenience sake is items always identified. Yes, it eliminates the need for ID scrolls, but this game rains unid items constantly and it just serves to waste time and money otherwise.

BTW, are you supposed to pretty much be one-shotting regular mobs and killing bosses in like 5 seconds flat? My marksman had a 240 dmg rifle drop when I was like level 7 and it's been godly ever since. I've been stacking dex so she hits normal for 500 and crits for over 1k lol. I took everyone's advice and started on hard, but this feels like a joke because richocet just levels everything in its path. Did I just get an extremely lucky drop or is the whole game just walking through mobs like it's nothing? I'd be pretty sad if this game takes no skill to play. :\

Have any of you retired a character yet? Does the gold transfer over as well, or just the one item that pick plus your fame level?

[quote name='Jodou']
BTW, are you supposed to pretty much be one-shotting regular mobs and killing bosses in like 5 seconds flat? \[/QUOTE]

What difficulty are you playing on? The descriptions of the difficulties are pretty accurate and well described. For someone who plays Demon's Souls adamantly you should be playing on Hard or Very Hard. Normal and below are for people new to games.

I'm playing Destroyer on Hard and I can one shot many mobs but bosses take numerous hits to whittle their health away although I'm never in any real danger. I think I should play on very hard. Since the game doesn't have very much enemy AI I think it works pretty well. Titan's Quest's final boss simply stood there and let me hit him 10 times till he died. I don't think I took a single hit.

Diablo and its clones have never been about skill-based gameplay. Everyone plays for the lure of loot.

Been playing this game for a couple of days now, on and off, and abusing the Steam Cloud feature through my laptop and gaming desktop.

My only gripe is that I'm have a tendency of playing on the default difficulty, ie Normal, and this game is no challenge at all for me, being the Mage/Alchemist class. The only mods I have for it right now is the official/unofficial respec mod for now, trying to keep my first run-through pure. If I see something as a must-download, then I'll consider it.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']

My only gripe is that I'm have a tendency of playing on the default difficulty, ie Normal, and this game is no challenge at all for me...[/QUOTE]

Well stop griping about yourself and move on to a harder difficulty ;). The game describes it's difficulty levels very clearly. Players familiar with click and kill games are recommended to play on AT LEAST 'Hard'. I'm on Hard right now and I kind of wished I had put it on V. hard. You never know your limits though until you start playing. If anything, just breeze through and retire your character and start with that new item on a harder setting.

Anyone have any fish favorites for your pets? I swear my pet was killing me as an ice elemental but I'm not quite sure...

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Anyone have any fish favorites for your pets? I swear my pet was killing me as an ice elemental but I'm not quite sure...[/QUOTE]

can't remember the fish name but the one that turns him into a goblinhound

While I agree you should step things up if you are breezing through, I found the last boss to be pretty damn hard on easy mode (was trying for the quick kill achievements), though admittedly that was probably due to not really paying attention to my gear (I think I had a few pieces with level 5 rq on them) and only pumping magic on the alchemist instead of switching to defense bonuses earlier. I also didn't
pull him out of the room like I've seen recommended either here or on other forums (I forget where I read it)

[quote name='crystalklear64']A point and click hack n slash requiring skill to play... WUUUUUUUUUUT[/QUOTE]Well, I was hoping for at least some strategy and not mindless point n' click. It's not very satisfying for players looking for a challenge sadly.
[quote name='ChernobylCow']What difficulty are you playing on? The descriptions of the difficulties are pretty accurate and well described. For someone who plays Demon's Souls adamantly you should be playing on Hard or Very Hard. Normal and below are for people new to games.

I'm playing Destroyer on Hard and I can one shot many mobs but bosses take numerous hits to whittle their health away although I'm never in any real danger. I think I should play on very hard. Since the game doesn't have very much enemy AI I think it works pretty well. Titan's Quest's final boss simply stood there and let me hit him 10 times till he died. I don't think I took a single hit.

Diablo and its clones have never been about skill-based gameplay. Everyone plays for the lure of loot.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I should have started on very hard, but chose hard instead. Still, I have a feeling all that does is give enemies more HP and dmg, which is just cheap. Wonder if you get better loot on harder difficulties like D2 was. . .

It's been seven years since I've touched a game like this and WoW beat the lootwhoring out of me so I guess I didn't know what to expect to get out of the game. That and the lack of PvP really kills any replay value for me, but D3 should fill that void some year.

[quote name='sadavis3420']encore.com has it on sale from $9.98 - great price for a solid game![/QUOTE]
But it was $4.99 on Steam. :booty: What does Fame do anyways?

[quote name='Ryukahn']So I just retired a character that had 30 fame level and got none of it on the new character, wtf.[/QUOTE]

122) What is retirement?

Retiring deletes your current character, but passes down an item to a brand new character. The item has its equipment requirements reduced and its stats enhanced. You start from Level 1. (Although, since you've beaten the game once, the Endless Dungeon is unlocked.) Note: Your descendant does NOT have to be the same class as the retiring character. You can retire a Destroyer and choose Alchemist or Vanquisher, or whatever.

I think you only pass on 1 fame level to your sire. Then when that next character retires your next inheritor gets 2 fame and so on.

Yeah, I saw it gradually goes up. I read info elsewhere that stated you get it all, which I thought was sweet, but obviously it was incorrect.

No big deal though, as I'm about done with the main quest on the ancestor toon, and I've only put in like 75 minutes so far heh. Goes so much faster when I'm not exploring every level.

First things first, I'm addicted to this game.

Secondly, does the difficulty level change anything other than, well, difficulty? i.e., gold drops, loot drops, unique item drops, etc.?

if there is one thing that I don't like, it's fighting a giant horde in a narrow space with a full pack of gear. They drop so much crap and you end up stuck clicking the gear and not fighting the monsters. Only way around it is to spam your magic

[quote name='fart_bubble']if there is one thing that I don't like, it's fighting a giant horde in a narrow space with a full pack of gear. They drop so much crap and you end up stuck clicking the gear and not fighting the monsters. Only way around it is to spam your magic[/QUOTE]

I think there needs to be a mod... and this screams it. Just like walking over gold, you should be able to just pick it up by walking over...

And we need another mod to increase storage space.

The damn dog should pick this stuff up.

Anyways, I'll have to look at that bee spell, seems awesome.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I need to find a mod that will silence: "Your pet has been injured. Your pet is fleeing."[/QUOTE]
For fucking real. It wasn't helpful the first time they said it and I'm about to just turn off the sound.

Torchlight is now eligible to show up in your quick picks as of today FYI. Extra $1 savings if you plan to buy the retail version (DRM free plus ferret pet).

[quote name='ChernobylCow']I need to find a mod that will silence: "Your pet has been injured. Your pet is fleeing."[/QUOTE]

There is a mod for that. Look up an entire list with TorchLeech.

That mod will also remove the XP/Fame levels and that message about going to town and coming back. I think it does that Trap triggered message too.

[quote name='xycury']There is a mod for that. Look up an entire list with TorchLeech.

That mod will also remove the XP/Fame levels and that message about going to town and coming back. I think it does that Trap triggered message too.[/QUOTE]
It must not be rated very high because I stopped looking at mods that had less than 70%.

[quote name='Jodou']It must not be rated very high because I stopped looking at mods that had less than 70%.[/QUOTE]

It's a simple audio change.

I really don't find it annoying, thus probably why the low scoring.

I don't ever look at 'scores' if I can try it out for free, applies to games too, fuck metacritic :roll: I can make up my own opinion which is ultimately the only opinion that matters.

Well, there are a ton of mods on there, so scoring really helped me find the must have mods quickly like respec mod and potions stacksize. That's all.

[quote name='Jodou']Well, there are a ton of mods on there, so scoring really helped me find the must have mods quickly like respec mod and potions stacksize. That's all.[/QUOTE]

The Font one and the Map brightness have really helped. I suggest those to anyone wanting a better gaming experience.

[quote name='hero101']But it was $4.99 on Steam. [/QUOTE]

It was, when? I would bite at $5. At $10 I tried the demo and thought I'd rather just play D2 again.

Torchlight isn't nearly as good as D2... it's a great game for the price, but considering how similar it is to D2, it's just not worth going with the inferior product... it's like generic soda... Torchlight is like generic soda...

[quote name='Koggit']Torchlight isn't nearly as good as D2... it's a great game for the price, but considering how similar it is to D2, it's just not worth going with the inferior product... it's like generic soda... Torchlight is like generic soda...[/QUOTE]

considering the age, I would say D2 is like that 6pack pull tab beer you found in the basement.... sure it was good then, but would you really be drinking it now?

Pull tab beer...

Going back to your first arguement though, with Torchlight having TorchEd and being fully mod friendly, I just can't say that it is "nearly as good".

I'd call it "nearly as better" considering the age and the potential.

If only Blizzard wouldn't have waited so damn long and played with their WoW e-peen... we'd be playing with D3 already.... freaking crack-whores.

User created content will push this as a great game.... price considering it is.

[quote name='xycury']I think there needs to be a mod... and this screams it. Just like walking over gold, you should be able to just pick it up by walking over...

And we need another mod to increase storage space.

The damn dog should pick this stuff up.

Anyways, I'll have to look at that bee spell, seems awesome.[/QUOTE]

Shift Click items and the Dog / Cat / Whatever you turned yours into will.

Bee spell does seem awsome ... has yet to drop for me though haha.

[quote name='Koggit']Torchlight isn't nearly as good as D2... it's a great game for the price, but considering how similar it is to D2, it's just not worth going with the inferior product... it's like generic soda... Torchlight is like generic soda...[/QUOTE]
I don't understand how people can literally SEE D2 with its 640X480 resolution (or 800X600?) on a modern monitor. I mean its tiny unless you make it stretch to fit the screen, then it looks like total ass. Are there people somewhere still playing with 15" CRTs?

[quote name='strikeratt']Shift Click items and the Dog / Cat / Whatever you turned yours into will.

Bee spell does seem awsome ... has yet to drop for me though haha.[/QUOTE]

I don't even want to SHIFT + click ... it should be like gold, you walk over it and pick it up.

There should be a mod for that.

[quote name='redline']I don't understand how people can literally SEE D2 with its 640X480 resolution (or 800X600?) on a modern monitor. I mean its tiny unless you make it stretch to fit the screen, then it looks like total ass. Are there people somewhere still playing with 15" CRTs?[/QUOTE]

Indeed, D2 on a widescreen 22 inch lcd looks like ASS... that's why I stopped playing.

If Blizzard would release a High resolution graphic upgrade, I might still be playing.

At least with Torchlight, the dungeons are unique and look unique, Diablo tries to pull that off but Torchlight has a Z axis!!!! and winding stairs and steps to go to different levels within a dungeon floor.

If Torchlight is generic soda, it's in the most beautiful fucking can I've ever seen, and attached to that can is a 5lb bag of awesome magic power to change that flavor into something else 128 times over with modding.

Blizzard is losing out.... They could have pushed D3 now... but I'm stuck playing Torchlight, and really.... It's awesome.

[quote name='strikeratt']Bee spell does seem awsome ... has yet to drop for me though haha.[/QUOTE]
It's been appearing for me non-stop on the general store vendor. I gave it to the pet and it's pretty worthless. The bees last maybe 3-5 seconds before scattering and while they do make enemies turn and flee, I've found that the summon skeleton spell is far more useful since they almost never die and last half a minute. They serve as great off-tanks and the pet AI is so amazing I wish every game did this well.

So having finished the main story the other day, I installed a bunch more mods such as the unique drop+enchantment. I thought this would pretty much break the game in terms of balance but it has actually made me want to play through the shadow vault. You have no idea how many unique/set items are in this game until every drop is something rare. It's actually still pretty balanced because not every mob drops something and when they do it's only 1-2 items. I'm STILL trying to collect pieces to sets even after playing for ~8 hours yesterday, so if anything it's much more satisfying knowing that you're not wasting your time trying to complete a set with the old drop rates. That and drops are still based on your level so if you outgrow the set level range, you're SOL for ever having it drop. Enchantment still costs a ton of money so I can't imagine playing the game with wipes. I'd recommend it to anyone who has finished the main story because it actually gives the game replay value.

[quote name='redline']I don't understand how people can literally SEE D2 with its 640X480 resolution (or 800X600?) on a modern monitor. I mean its tiny unless you make it stretch to fit the screen, then it looks like total ass. Are there people somewhere still playing with 15" CRTs?[/QUOTE]

Lol, I totally agree with this. The resolution options absolutely blow for D2 and make it look like shit. I too would still play it regularly if they released some kind of option to change it to something better.

There are millions of users still running machines with 15" CRTs.

You have users on truly low budgets like children centers and after school programs. Outside of homework assistance they offer computer game time for various reasons.

You have people in impoverished countries that use this technology because it is readily available.

Then you have truly hardcore old school gamers that only play 1 or 2 games and don't see a reason to upgrade. I know of a couple that to this day only play Starcraft, Diablo (1) and TFC. That's it. Everything else is bah to them. Meanwhile btw the both of them they bring in about 300k a year but they just love that old school gaming and have a steady gaming group they meet with weekly.

Btw you can stretch the game without pixelation using a bi or tri filter :)

Torchlight is diablo3 for me. Really, Blizzard isn't blizzard anymore it's Runic and the Hellgate London folks.

And for the record, Diablo 2 looked bad when it came out...

Torchlight is great. Sure, it's no Diablo 2. But it is a solid product. The combat feels great.

My only disappointment is that the skill trees pretty much suck. I also do not understand the spell system...you're telling me you have to find spells? Uh...

I am on my 2nd run with a dual pistol vanquisher on V. Hard and, man, it feels like a top down shooter ;).

Mods: The identify all mod conflicted with stacked potions so I only have the pots one.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Torchlight is great. Sure, it's no Diablo 2. But it is a solid product. The combat feels great.

My only disappointment is that the skill trees pretty much suck. I also do not understand the spell system...you're telling me you have to find spells? Uh...

I am on my 2nd run with a dual pistol vanquisher on V. Hard and, man, it feels like a top down shooter ;).

Mods: The identify all mod conflicted with stacked potions so I only have the pots one.[/QUOTE]

The skill trees are "ok" It definatly winds out near around lvl 50-60 when you're just getting skills you won't use. Seems like each branch as it's archtypes.

And the spells are good that you can boost elemental damage or protection on all your characters. It would be lame to just give all the spells to the alchemist when it doesn't call for that.

Plus I would hate too that only one person can raise an army of frost sabering sheild carrying skellies of death.

I have yet to go down the other two characters yet, but I'm loving my pet/minion master alchy. 6 Imps, 5 skels, 3 zombies, 4 archers, 2 golems, and Extra bugged Golems per level jump.

I once had 4 of each golem, was a mess. I couldn't move anywhere and they were constantly blocking me.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Torchlight is great. Sure, it's no Diablo 2. But it is a solid product. The combat feels great.

Mods: The identify all mod conflicted with stacked potions so I only have the pots one.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't matter, they conflict for me as well but work fine. All it's warning you about is that they share a file, so there's potential for one not working if they both alter the same line of code.

Man, I think I burned out on this game already because there's no online to PvP. My Vanquisher is just decked out with the best of the best and dominates with an ES build. There's really no room for experimenting in this game because the skill trees are worthless (i.e. once you hit level 50 or so, there's no reason to put points in anything else) and gear is limited in focus (once you find the ideal base items, that's pretty much it unless you enchant lol). I tried theorycrafting but for a Vanquisher it's dump everything into Dex and Def with just enough magic and strength to wear the gear you want. I got this tits rifle called Tesla's rape cannon or something like that with ~1000 base DPS plus 160 physical stat. That thing is just DOOM every time I fire an explosive shot so the game just becomes point and click.

BTW, if you play a Vanq get Royba's gloves and hat for a total of 100% missile reflect. Other than that, just look for items that push your ranged damage bonus up, adds crit, or has +armor/armor % (not defense). I personally use a 2H gun over dual wield because the skill tree spec only adds DPS to the MH, not both, and they nerfed shields working to give the bonus. Remember that ES is based on MH DPS and is not boosted by +fire damage, so you want to have the best possible base DPS. GL.

Man, I've been playing this game as a mage (or whatever they're called) and it has been ridiculously easy. I shoulda started out on hard. :/

It's an awesome game though; definitely worth the $5 I spent on it. All the options drive me crazy though. I'm bad at making decisions, haha. I've pretty much decided to max out my little imps and have like an army of them, just for fun, and sit back and cast spells while they ravage the enemies. So far it's been working out pretty well, but we'll see how it is once I up the difficulty.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChernobylCow']I am on my 2nd run with a dual pistol vanquisher on V. Hard and, man, it feels like a top down shooter ;).[/QUOTE]

I'm also using dual-pistols on hard.. but using a Destroyer and it's my first character. Why'd you choose Vanquisher? I thought Destroyer would be best for dual pistols because of the 60% bonus to dual-wielding. What skills/spells do you like with a pistol Vanquisher?

[quote name='Koggit']I'm also using dual-pistols on hard.. but using a Destroyer and it's my first character. Why'd you choose Vanquisher? I thought Destroyer would be best for dual pistols because of the 60% bonus to dual-wielding. What skills/spells do you like with a pistol Vanquisher?[/QUOTE]

I think all chars have a dual wielding skill they can go into

bread's done
Back