Torchlight (10/27/09) - Anybody else interested in this?

Picked this up on the $5 sale, I made the foolish choice of picking easy. Is there a way to up the difficulty or do I have to make a new char?

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Picked this up on the $5 sale, I made the foolish choice of picking easy. Is there a way to up the difficulty or do I have to make a new char?[/QUOTE]

you can use the change difficulty cheat without being labelled a "Cheater" by the recent patch- verified by a few people.

You could test this by creating a new character, "cheat" on it and see if it will label you as... if it doesn't, well just get rid of it and do it on your 'Easy' Character.

[quote name='xycury']you can use the change difficulty cheat without being labelled a "Cheater" by the recent patch- verified by a few people.

You could test this by creating a new character, "cheat" on it and see if it will label you as... if it doesn't, well just get rid of it and do it on your 'Easy' Character.[/QUOTE]
Pretty stupid that they wouldn't allow you to increase the difficulty without calling you a cheater. Poor insight IMO.

I'm done with this game already. No multiplayer just kills it after level 50 because there's absolutely no reason to advance your character.

[quote name='Jodou']Pretty stupid that they wouldn't allow you to increase the difficulty without calling you a cheater. Poor insight IMO.

I'm done with this game already. No multiplayer just kills it after level 50 because there's absolutely no reason to advance your character.[/QUOTE]

I suppose you think of that of WoW and D2?

You fail at the true purpose of the game. The LOOT.

Mods for this game will get better too. And there is already a mod for co-op.

[quote name='xycury']I suppose you think of that of WoW and D2?

You fail at the true purpose of the game. The LOOT.

Mods for this game will get better too. And there is already a mod for co-op.[/QUOTE]
WoW and D2 both have PvP (well, if you can call it that heh) so no, the loot served a purpose for competition. In Torchlight it's just pointless gear that is replaced over and over until you hit the level cap. So yeah, the purpose of the game is lost on me.

[quote name='Jodou']WoW and D2 both have PvP (well, if you can call it that heh) so no, the loot served a purpose for competition. In Torchlight it's just pointless gear that is replaced over and over until you hit the level cap. So yeah, the purpose of the game is lost on me.[/QUOTE]
Yup. What good is the godly loot if you've no one to show it off to? No co-op to "impress" your buds/make them jealous. No PvP, so no "lolol i pwn you scrub get some gear." All you get is PvE, and while I haven't played Torchlight, I bet you don't need the best of the best items to kill the monsters. Oh joy of joys I can kill monsters slightly faster, but the monsters aren't impressed or jealous :' (

Yes loot is the point, but whats the point with no one to share with?

[quote name='crystalklear64']Yup. What good is the godly loot if you've no one to show it off to? No co-op to "impress" your buds/make them jealous. No PvP, so no "lolol i pwn you scrub get some gear." All you get is PvE, and while I haven't played Torchlight, I bet you don't need the best of the best items to kill the monsters. Oh joy of joys I can kill monsters slightly faster, but the monsters aren't impressed or jealous :' (

Yes loot is the point, but whats the point with no one to share with?[/QUOTE]

I never got the "Look what I have" in games.... so I wouldn't understand.

good game doesn't need that bragging really.

Eh, they've got a point. I still find Torchlight fun, but without multiplayer it's losing it's appeal to me. I'm sure I'll be back when some sweet mods come out though.

I don't expect this is going to be a game I come back to, nor do I want it to be. I just want to beat it and be done with it. Maybe I'll experiment around with the other classes a bit, but I doubt I'll do multiple runthroughs. Its good at what it does, at any rate. Complaining about lack of multiplayer is pointless, because that's not how the game was designed. If you wanted multiplayer, you should not have bought it to begin with...

[quote name='PrarieD0G']I don't expect this is going to be a game I come back to, nor do I want it to be. I just want to beat it and be done with it. Maybe I'll experiment around with the other classes a bit, but I doubt I'll do multiple runthroughs. Its good at what it does, at any rate. Complaining about lack of multiplayer is pointless, because that's not how the game was designed. If you wanted multiplayer, you should not have bought it to begin with...[/QUOTE]
I didn't buy it for exactly that reason. In any event, this was the game salvaged from the Mythos wreckage is it not? That was multiplayer, infact I believe that was the reason the game was made, to test the multiplayer system for use in Hellgate: London (which I loved by the by). Diablo 2 really is the standard for this sort of game, so when one comes out you simply expect it to have at least co-op of some sort.

I was very surprised when I discovered the lack of multiplayer.

From the Steam page: "Runic Games will initially release Torchlight as a standalone Single Player game, Torchlight will be released in the latter part of 2009 as a download or in box. Following the single player release, work will commence on a fully-featured MMO version."

That's why I didn't expect multiplayer when I bought it. Then again, I'm always one to do an inordinate amount of research before I buy anything, haha. I wonder how the MMO will turn out...

Dunno how I confused the two, but Torchlight is based on the game Fate, not Mythos. Fate was not multiplayer, so I guess if I would have known that I wouldn't have expected multiplayer as much. Still as a Diablo clone I still have some multiplayer expectations.

I wonder what the budget was for this game, relative to Diablo 3, and I wonder what they could've done with more money

[quote name='Koggit']I wonder what the budget was for this game, relative to Diablo 3, and I wonder what they could've done with more money[/QUOTE]

And I wonder if D3 will handle Mods?

I think they are holding out to see what the community brings up, which is a brilliant move considering they are thinking of putting out an MMO.

I would think that they wouldn't want to have to design more even if they had alot of money, considering this isn't their A game plan. This was just Step 1 in their MMO project.

Really great game but stopped playing it after 14ish hours despite my all day addiction to finish the game.
If it had multiplayer I would have kept coming back for more.
But I still see it as the only PC exclusive in 09 that I'll go back to again the future (gota try out Killing Floor some time).

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Really great game but stopped playing it after 14ish hours despite my all day addiction to finish the game.
If it had multiplayer I would have kept coming back for more.
But I still see it as the only PC exclusive in 09 that I'll go back to again the future (gota try out Killing Floor some time).[/QUOTE]

What's with the multiplayer talk????

I can't fathom why one would want to struggle with someone else...

I could see if there is any intelligence in this game (Tacticle/Strat), or say a FPS or RTS.. but it's a point and click.

I never got into D2 multiplayer either... just didn't see the point in it.

[quote name='xycury']I could see if there is any intelligence in this game (Tacticle/Strat), or say a FPS or RTS.. but it's a point and click.[/QUOTE]
You just identified the problem: game is boring.

[quote name='Jodou']You just identified the problem: game is boring.[/QUOTE]

it's a fucking point and click... D2 is BORING...

I'm talking about multiplayer... and why would anyone want it.

[quote name='xycury']it's a fucking point and click... D2 is BORING...

I'm talking about multiplayer... and why would anyone want it.[/QUOTE]

The same reason tons of people still play D2. They want to play with friends and/or trade their unwanted shit for stuff they can use.

[quote name='Ryukahn']The same reason tons of people still play D2. They want to play with friends and/or trade their unwanted shit for stuff they can use.[/QUOTE]

I guess I really don't care to play with friends on such a mundane game.

And the trading shit sounds interesting though. But is that the only reason? seems shallow to me.

[quote name='xycury']I guess I really don't care to play with friends on such a mundane game.

And the trading shit sounds interesting though. But is that the only reason? seems shallow to me.[/QUOTE]

Besides the regular content. There are also mods and maps that are really, seriously tough to handle solo (some are just unplayable) so for that you get together with friends and family.

Personally, I love playing with friends and family on a great many games.

Plus, I always play on max difficulty with any game so it's always good to have friends to rock it out with.

I have not played D2 in a long time and I am going to be trying TorchLight out this Wed, but I remember this one map where it was in prehistoric times and we have to fight over 30 T-rex per wave while defending this temple. It was a hard map with unforgiving damage being dealt out by the enemies.

[quote name='xycury']And the trading shit sounds interesting though. But is that the only reason? seems shallow to me.[/QUOTE]
Economy was a lot of fun in D2, back when everything was done on a BB style trade channel and probably still is lol. With all the duping, only UNID uniques held any value because you knew they were legit, otherwise you might wake up the next day with your windforce deleted (happened to a friend after they paid 40 SOJs for it; he was PISSED). I personally spent hours selling my wares to save up and build the ultimate character (99 full Tal's nova sorc with 800+ MF that could clear a full hell cows game in 2 minutes FLAT), so it definitely gives the game life over Torchlight. That and getting to level 99 was an achievement in itself since dying just once could cost you enough exp for a days worth of grinding (couldn't de-level though, thank god). You never see hardcore games like that anymore with the exception of Demon's Souls.

[quote name='Megazell']Besides the regular content. There are also mods and maps that are really, seriously tough to handle solo (some are just unplayable) so for that you get together with friends and family.

Personally, I love playing with friends and family on a great many games.

Plus, I always play on max difficulty with any game so it's always good to have friends to rock it out with.

I have not played D2 in a long time and I am going to be trying TorchLight out this Wed, but I remember this one map where it was in prehistoric times and we have to fight over 30 T-rex per wave while defending this temple. It was a hard map with unforgiving damage being dealt out by the enemies.[/QUOTE]

Torchlight does have a co-op Mod being tested, it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't get finished.

[quote name='Jodou']Economy was a lot of fun in D2, back when everything was done on a BB style trade channel and probably still is lol. With all the duping, only UNID uniques held any value because you knew they were legit, otherwise you might wake up the next day with your windforce deleted (happened to a friend after they paid 40 SOJs for it; he was PISSED). I personally spent hours selling my wares to save up and build the ultimate character (99 full Tal's nova sorc with 800+ MF that could clear a full hell cows game in 2 minutes FLAT), so it definitely gives the game life over Torchlight. That and getting to level 99 was an achievement in itself since dying just once could cost you enough exp for a days worth of grinding (couldn't de-level though, thank god). You never see hardcore games like that anymore with the exception of Demon's Souls.[/QUOTE]

That does not sound like fun, nor a game I'd like to play. Difficulty, sure but grind, no thanks.

[quote name='xycury']That does not sound like fun, nor a game I'd like to play. Difficulty, sure but grind, no thanks.[/QUOTE]
Well, Torchlight is just one giant grind for loot TBH.

Hate to say it but I'm already losing interest in the game. I've gotten to the 4th or 5th floor and all the enemies die in 1-2 hits. Even if it were harder, all the enemies do is zombily walk at you. New gear just throws up more numbers and usually looks cooler. I think I'll play a bit more but not get too in to it and hold out for D3.

I've played the game a lot more now and I like it more. Though I'm concerned that

(a) NO SKILLS OR SPELLS ARE SATISFYING. there's nothing awesome like D2 had. No whirlwind or ice orb or hydra or anything. I just don't feel like a badass in this game. god dammit, i wanna feel like a badass when i'm destroying demons in infinite dungeons!

(b) the skill trees top out way too early. i'm not really there yet.. but I know some people are level 60+. if the skills top out around level 35 (with 10 points in it) then how can you keep getting stronger? My alchemist's Pyre will be the same strength when I'm level 60 compared to when I'm 35... won't it be useless by that point? it's even pretty useless now.

(c) the skills don't have synergies. so if you put points into something that sucks (the descriptions are vague before buying so you have to experiment), you're boned, those points were just wasted. unless you use the respec mod. that's pretty dumb.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Hate to say it but I'm already losing interest in the game. I've gotten to the 4th or 5th floor and all the enemies die in 1-2 hits. Even if it were harder, all the enemies do is zombily walk at you. New gear just throws up more numbers and usually looks cooler. I think I'll play a bit more but not get too in to it and hold out for D3.[/QUOTE]

I had the same problem (as Alchemist on Normal) and my solution, which worked well, was to just run past them and try to get to the boss ASAP. Just rush through it. When you get to guys that are too hard to run past, then start fighting them -- by then they're a challenge and giving you more experience. This let's you do everything faster: you level faster, you get loot faster, you progress the story faster, you beat bosses faster (which means new scenery more often)... really, IMO, this is a MUCH better solution than increasing the difficulty level. The joy of the game, like most games, is in destruction. Just like in God of War it's fun to destroy giant hydra with your super-powerful avatar, it's fun to go spelunking with giant weapons to silence the demons within.

[quote name='Koggit']I had the same problem (as Alchemist on Normal) and my solution, which worked well, was to just run past them and try to get to the boss ASAP. Just rush through it. When you get to guys that are too hard to run past, then start fighting them -- by then they're a challenge and giving you more experience. This let's you do everything faster: you level faster, you get loot faster, you progress the story faster, you beat bosses faster (which means new scenery more often)... really, IMO, this is a MUCH better solution than increasing the difficulty level. The joy of the game, like most games, is in destruction. Just like in God of War it's fun to destroy giant hydra with your super-powerful avatar, it's fun to go spelunking with giant weapons to silence the demons within.[/QUOTE]

See now I wasn't a seasoned D2 player so I wouldn't think of this, that's a great idea! I sometimes forget you don't NEED to kill EVERYONE. I'll try that out.

So what kind of game is this exactly? I feel I'm so out of touch with games I misclassify them all the time.

I've played about 30 minutes of this and like it so far... just going around hacking and slashing wolves and spiders in the mine and I beat this big boss looking creature too. Fun so far.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']So what kind of game is this exactly? I feel I'm so out of touch with games I misclassify them all the time.

I've played about 30 minutes of this and like it so far... just going around hacking and slashing wolves and spiders in the mine and I beat this big boss looking creature too. Fun so far.[/QUOTE]

ARPG or dungeon crawler is what I call them.

[quote name='Koggit'](a) NO SKILLS OR SPELLS ARE SATISFYING. there's nothing awesome like D2 had. No whirlwind or ice orb or hydra or anything. I just don't feel like a badass in this game. god dammit, i wanna feel like a badass when i'm destroying demons in infinite dungeons![/quote]Exploding Shot is pretty much the endall spell in this game. Just click and things die. Zero skill required.
(b) the skill trees top out way too early. i'm not really there yet.. but I know some people are level 60+. if the skills top out around level 35 (with 10 points in it) then how can you keep getting stronger? My alchemist's Pyre will be the same strength when I'm level 60 compared to when I'm 35... won't it be useless by that point? it's even pretty useless now.
Tell me about it. Not only that, but you don't have to invest any points into a tree to get the endgame skills. Once you reach level 50, you have plenty of points to use and everything is unlocked. Everyone will have the same spec and that's boring.
(c) the skills don't have synergies. so if you put points into something that sucks (the descriptions are vague before buying so you have to experiment), you're boned, those points were just wasted. unless you use the respec mod. that's pretty dumb.
Thank god someone made that respec mod or I wouldn't even have bothered with the game. It's absolutely idiotic to not allow experimentation, especially since nobody knows how well a spell works until they try. For instance I tried all the rogue abilities before realizing they were awful next to the power of exploding shot.

I finished playing the demo and it reminded me of playing D1 and 2 back in the days. I would've picked this up but since there's no multiplayer as of yet. I'll hold off and see what the "mmo" version brings. Very fun game though.

[quote name='xycury']You mean if just looking at it for 5 minutes, sure.

So like with D3 comes out, all he would have to do is Copy Pasta?[/QUOTE]

I think you take him to seriously. He does like games. It's just he finds faults and makes entertainment out of them. I own and enjoy at least half the games he destroys. Yet, I still find him funny.

[quote name='mogamer']I think you take him to seriously. He does like games. It's just he finds faults and makes entertainment out of them. I own and enjoy at least half the games he destroys. Yet, I still find him funny.[/QUOTE]

No, I was making the point of other poeple taking it too seriously.

yeah the cartoon is funny, but meh, the review was just all "reading the inner flap of a book and making a book report from it".

It's enertaining, but I would hardly ever take his opinion on judging games.

[quote name='xycury']No, I was making the point of other poeple taking it too seriously.

yeah the cartoon is funny, but meh, the review was just all "reading the inner flap of a book and making a book report from it".

It's enertaining, but I would hardly ever take his opinion on judging games.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the man's made a character of himself and he has to uphold that personality for the fans. He may not of loved the game but I'm sure he enjoyed it to some extent.

[quote name='xycury']yeah the cartoon is funny, but meh, the review was just all "reading the inner flap of a book and making a book report from it".[/QUOTE]well hey that's how they made "The Bourne Identity" movie and that turned out great. Lesson is: sometimes you don't have to read the book.
yeah i really had no reason to bring that up right now I just always find that fact hilarious.

on the plus side I did get Torchlight to run at like almost full speed yesterday and actually playing it was pretty darn fun. Still can't get into menus without insane slowdown but outside of that it's almost playable.

Huge Torchlight fan here - lvl 26 Alchemist going Lore crazy.

Anyone have feedback on the games set items? I have several different pieces of armor, all belonging to different sets. So far I have yet to find more than one item belonging to the same set. Do set pieces show up more often later down the line?

bread's done
Back