Trials Evolution (RedLynx's Trials HD sequel) - Out Now! - 1200 points

[quote name='crunchewy']I wonder if tracks downloaded via Track Central have leaderboards? I'm guessing probably not, but would love it if it had that. At least a friends leaderboard. I haven't downloaded any yet, so don't know for sure.

Also, Trials Evo broke the record for highest first 24 hours sales on XBLA. They aren't saying the numbers, though.

http://playxbla.com/trials-evolution-breaks-xbla-record/[/QUOTE]

They have leaderboards, though from what I can tell it's only up to 100 people?

Ah, that is better than none, though I wonder if I'd crack the top 100 on any of them given all the potential players. Mostly I'd want to see the comparison with friends.

As far as I know custom tracks have full leaderboards and work with your friend icons as well.

I was a little bummed RedLynx didn't make an official Hill Climb... but after just a few days there are quite a few good ones in the custom tracks. I am really loving the custom tracks. They basically make this game endless. Custom skill games are the shit too. And the fact that you can make custom multiplayer tracks... I can't wait to see what tops the list after a month or so.

I usually am pretty competitive with Spy in Trials, but there is one guy on my friends list (LonelyKing) from pinball that is as fast as lightning lol. I don't know how he does it.

Also the requirements for the Platinum metals are ridiculous lol.

Anyone try "Yeti" in the custom tracks? It's a series of ramps in a circle and you have to time your jumps over a swinging pole... That one is insane lol. Check it out.

If anyone is on the fence about picking this one up... Go ahead and treat yourself to the most polished and most likely the best XBLA game to ever be released thus far. I know this is CAG, but damn, shell out the $15 and have yourself a blast. If you are waiting for a sale (like some CAGS are)... it will most likely be discounted to 800 MSP around Christmas time. Are you willing to wait 8 months to save $5? I wasn't!

[quote name='GUNNM']I have more fun playing MP than I do the SP but I can't connect to it.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I love the game even though I suck at it...but I haven't been able to get into one online game.

[quote name='GUNNM']I have more fun playing MP than I do the SP but I can't connect to it.[/QUOTE]

I jumped into MP without going far into single player... and found out you really need to do the single player to learn about the tracks. I experienced tracks for the first time in MP and in MP you don't have time to play with the track or learn it. One of the levels I played with was the Limbo track and I wish I had played the Limbo track earlier.

I think that's why all the voting went toward the tracks that were early in the SP campaign so that people weren't racing in the dark.

If you voted for a later track, people would end up dropping out of the race before it even started (reminds me of Gears horde voting, ugh, there has to be some incentive or disincentive to keep people from bailing when a map is picked that they don't like).

Yeah playing uphill track for your first time is a barrel of loufs as you try to figure out you need to hold up to go up the hill. I wish there was a supercross mode with hard maps

[quote name='GUNNM'] I wish there was a supercross mode with hard maps[/QUOTE]

I'm sure the track wizards out there will make a few (thousand lol) ;)

BTW, I left some pretty good times for you to beat on the first set of medium tracks Spy. You gotta check out my replay for the sewage one... I got lucky as hell!

I need to try out these fan made maps I've never messed with the track editor thing. Btw what an awesome mode to add maps made by random people and you can dl them for free I'm almost surprised MS allowed this

I need some competition on my friends leaderboards, can you add me on your lists if you dont mind? I'll send some requests tomorrow.... This game is dangerously addictive...

This game is a blast. The custom tracks these guys create are wild. If any of you want to send me a friend request, feel free. Just make sure you say you are from CAG.

I'll be adding some of you just because I need more competition on the leaderboards. :)

And inversely, feel free to shoot a request.

I've been able to play a few multiplayer Supercross matches. It's a bit hectic, doing four-player. When all four people are near each other, it can be difficult to see what angle your bike is at so you can adjust your ride.

I've won most of the matches, which is cool. I like that there's a leveling system for multiplayer and a few unlocks.

I spent a ton of time on Trials HD, and if you're an experienced player, you'll find Evolution to be a lot easier. I have been through all the tracks except for the last few Insane tracks already. I think having a more gradual learning curve is going to be helpful for new players.

I like the idea of the multiplayer, but I find the controls to be spongy or "floaty" compared to the single player. The bikes are just not as responsive as they are in single player mode.

[quote name='jgerry']I spent a ton of time on Trials HD, and if you're an experienced player, you'll find Evolution to be a lot easier. I have been through all the tracks except for the last few Insane tracks already. I think having a more gradual learning curve is going to be helpful for new players.

I like the idea of the multiplayer, but I find the controls to be spongy or "floaty" compared to the single player. The bikes are just not as responsive as they are in single player mode.[/QUOTE]

I love the fact that the difficulty progression is more gradual in Trials Evo compared to HD. Once I hit the wall in HD, it was game over for me and it became a small game since I didn't have the time to pour into it to get better (I have such a backlog and kinda pick up games like water).

As for the multiplayer, of course the control can't be as tight as single player due to Internet lag. But it also depends on whether you're the host or not (it's randomly assigned?) as I believe Evo is P2P. So if you're the host, controls are going to be very tight.

I still can't get into any multiplayer. Anyone else still having issues? Feel free to send friend requests for time comparison.

Was finally able to race some multi. Great fun but I'm stinking at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Viva Las Vegas']I still can't get into any multiplayer. Anyone else still having issues? Feel free to send friend requests for time comparison.

Was finally able to race some multi. Great fun but I'm stinking at the moment.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I have gotten into one against one other person. I keep getting into one and then the track vote shows up. Both tracks say undefined and then get booted because the data is corrupt. Something to that extent.

Yeah I get the data is corrupt a lot too have only played one game yesterday and today. I just hope its because so many people are playing and can be fixed easily

Finally got in a 4 person one. Man it is fun.

Seems a bit easier to control the bike in single player though. Maybe it is just nerves. It is much more tense racing against other people.

[quote name='krashhole']This game is a blast. The custom tracks these guys create are wild. If any of you want to send me a friend request, feel free. Just make sure you say you are from CAG.[/QUOTE]Same. Always happy to add CAGs. Adding me will probably make you feel better about your times, too, because I'm not very good. :lol:

Local mutiplayer is good stuff too. Some friends and I played the game Friday, and we were having a ball...well, the two of us that were good at the game. :D

It's essentially the same as Supercross multiplayer, except that in local mutliplayer, if you crash, it'll warp you ahead so that all bikers stay together on the screen at the same time.

At the end, you'll be awarded points, but even if you finish "first" do to all the track-warping, your faults will be subtracted. It's very balanced.

[quote name='Danimal']Same. Always happy to add CAGs. Adding me will probably make you feel better about your times, too, because I'm not very good. :lol:[/QUOTE]Sent you a friend request.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Local mutiplayer is good stuff too. Some friends and I played the game Friday, and we were having a ball...well, the two of us that were good at the game. :D

It's essentially the same as Supercross multiplayer, except that in local mutliplayer, if you crash, it'll warp you ahead so that all bikers stay together on the screen at the same time.

At the end, you'll be awarded points, but even if you finish "first" do to all the track-warping, your faults will be subtracted. It's very balanced.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - I played this a bit with one of my kids (9) and we had fun with it. The fact that it warps you ahead is good for newbs, but it still gives the advantage to the player not crashing/getting behind as they will have a head of speed when the other person warps back in at a stand still.

If anybody finds some outstanding download tracks, please post. I downloaded 4 of the RedLynx Picks ones and they ere decent enough, but nothing spectacular like some of the tracks I downloaded (with difficulty) in Trials HD. I presume there's some really great stuff out there, or at least coming.

And FYI, downloaded tracks have a 100 spot leaderboard and it seems to have a friends leaderboard too even if you don't place in the top 100.

Gave in and bought it. So far it's probably my favorite game that has come out this year. If they can get the matchmaking fixed up a bit it'll be just about perfect.

[quote name='crunchewy']Yeah - I played this a bit with one of my kids (9) and we had fun with it. The fact that it warps you ahead is good for newbs, but it still gives the advantage to the player not crashing/getting behind as they will have a head of speed when the other person warps back in at a stand still.
[/QUOTE]

Yeh even my seven year old can play the earlier levels. Even my dad played a few rounds, now he wants to download the game... and he only plays Kinect type games.

It's weird that they saved the easiest Skill Game for last, as that
Splosion Man-esque
level was easy enough for me to reach the end on my second try. It seems to be the only one of those games that has a definite end instead of being infinite as far as I've seen.

He can't wrap his brain around throttling the gas, adjusting your center of gravity to manipulate the bike. Well that's a big part of the game lol.

Moon shoes, moon shoes, moon shoes! :lol:

So... Halfway through the medium maps, I got so frustrated I just started jumping my bike off of things. I must have some mental block against throttling the gas. Even when I barely touch it, my bottom tire shoots out from underneath of me and I fly backwards.

Still, I bought it to play local MP, and for that purpose, it's at least a new way for my friends to point and laugh at me.

[quote name='Broken Cage']So... Halfway through the medium maps, I got so frustrated I just started jumping my bike off of things. I must have some mental block against throttling the gas. Even when I barely touch it, my bottom tire shoots out from underneath of me and I fly backwards.

Still, I bought it to play local MP, and for that purpose, it's at least a new way for my friends to point and laugh at me.[/QUOTE]

You could also lean forward before you hit the gas. Also, I greatly prefer playing with the d-pad versus the analog stick. For leaning the game is *not* analog, it's digital. You've got 3 possible positions, back, middle or forward. That's it. The analog stick just makes things mushy. Now the throttle is analog, but as far as leaning is concerned it's digital. Maybe you'll do better if you switch to the d-pad?

[quote name='Broken Cage']So... Halfway through the medium maps, I got so frustrated I just started jumping my bike off of things. I must have some mental block against throttling the gas. Even when I barely touch it, my bottom tire shoots out from underneath of me and I fly backwards.

Still, I bought it to play local MP, and for that purpose, it's at least a new way for my friends to point and laugh at me.[/QUOTE]

It's a combination of throttling the gas and using the analog stick to balance and shift your rider's weight to offset the acceleration of the bike. You could learn these techniques with Trials HD's ability to watch someone's replay and input buttons during their track run. It also depends on which bike you're using. I tend to stay away from the Phoenix, the "best" one, due to it having too much acceleration. It's like racing games that give you a fast car but also the warning it's for experts only. Not to call you out but I know many people that think the fastest bike will give them the fastest times. Hahahaha nooo nooo.

Gigatrack. That's a low point of this game. It's ludicrously long and turns from fun to a chore that seems like it might never end. I doubt I'll ever gold medal it. Heck, I might never even try it a second time. It would have been fun if it was about half as long as it is.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Those intro songs repeatedly mentioning "Monday Nitro" caused me to dig out some WCW DVDs.[/QUOTE]

Lol yeah speaking of the music I was playing Trials Evo last night with the newest album of Chevelle, Hats off to the Bull, and I was in utter gaming bliss.

[quote name='crunchewy']Gigatrack. That's a low point of this game. It's ludicrously long and turns from fun to a chore that seems like it might never end. I doubt I'll ever gold medal it. Heck, I might never even try it a second time. It would have been fun if it was about half as long as it is.[/QUOTE]

I agree as a few more checkpoints for that track would have made it a lot better but I believe that's the point of Gigatrack. Gigatrack, I can see as the track the hardcore fans would do over and over again enjoying the challenge while everyone else does it once and puts it in the rear view mirror lol.

Lol oh my gosh I knew there'd be a Portal themed track in this game eventually ---> Test Subject 001

[quote name='Spybreak8']Lol oh my gosh I knew there'd be a Portal themed track in this game eventually ---> Test Subject 001[/QUOTE]

Is that a downloadable track or is it actually in the game? I am still half way through the singleplayer tracks...

This is my first Trials game and I'm loving it! Should I get Trials HD as well or just enjoy the never ending playability of this one?

[quote name='WV Matsui']This is my first Trials game and I'm loving it! Should I get Trials HD as well or just enjoy the never ending playability of this one?[/QUOTE]
Stick with Evolution and don't look back.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Stick with Evolution and don't look back.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Frisky I can always count on you! :)

[quote name='Spybreak8']
Lol oh my gosh I knew there'd be a Portal themed track in this game eventually ---> Test Subject 001[/QUOTE]

You can't use a track name to help find a level for download. What's the gamertag of the person who created it?

[quote name='teddybass']Is that a downloadable track or is it actually in the game? I am still half way through the singleplayer tracks...[/QUOTE]

It's a downloadable user track and it was in the RedLynx's Picks category. There's also a neat little silhouette level which I thought was pretty creative. Messaged the creator of the track and checked out his bio, "Code of Conduct", "Code of Conduct", "Code of Conduct" lol. Well he's got skills in making a track but he maybe swears a lot lol. Forgot either Gamertags sorry.

bread's done
Back