TRU. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zero 26.99 with 10.00 Gift Card.

DaddyBoJangles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
Mod edit: good for all versions of the game

I closed at my TRU tonight and set up all the games in the case and whatnot. The $10 Gift Card promotion works for ALL systems (XB360, XBOne, PS3, PS4). So you should be all set there.

----

Toys R Us over on their webpage have MGS5 listed with a 10.00 gift card coming back for purchase. The ad only lists one SKU(Xbox 360) , not sure if this deal will work with other platforms. Guess we'll know more Tuesday.

OIa6M2B.jpg

Coupon Below will knock an additional 2.99 off the game at time of purchase.

iqg38z.png

Last edited by a moderator:
$2 at Redbox, if only they rented out PS4 games around here.

I do think Ground Zeroes is a very anti-consumer move. I hope it fails hard in sales, as much as I am looking forward to the full game. It's a demo, plain and simple.

i just finished this game, I got a copy early. It only takes about 90 minutes to finish the main campaign. Save your money guys. This will be dirt cheap soon enough.

$2 at Redbox, if only they rented out PS4 games around here.

I do think Ground Zeroes is a very anti-consumer move. I hope it fails hard in sales, as much as I am looking forward to the full game. It's a demo, plain and simple.
anti consumer indeed. the good news is as we all saw with the xbone drm disaster our voices have power. we must let publishers know with our wallets that this isnt going to be acceptable

i just finished this game, I got a copy early. It only takes about 90 minutes to finish the main campaign. Save your money guys. This will be dirt cheap soon enough.
They should have just combined both games, I couldn't see spending more then 10 dollars on a game this short.

Well first I need to get a xbox one

They should have just combined both games, I couldn't see spending more then 10 dollars on a game this short.

Well first I need to get a xbox one
It wouldn't surprise me if it does get combined the main game don't come out until 9 months from now the earliest the early buyers who buy this could get screwed and a combo pack could be released when the main game comes out

strait edge follower said:
anti consumer indeed. the good news is as we all saw with the xbone drm disaster our voices have power. we must let publishers know with our wallets that this isnt going to be acceptable
I do think the stars are going to align and this will do very well on PS4.

- People are salivating to see a game engine take advantage of the PS4. The game looks okay on last-gen and Xbox One, but even Konami is saying the PS4 version is the definitive version.

- As we know, gamers have no self-control.

- Gamers will justify it in their head by saying, "Oh, it's not $60. Only $30."

- Gamers will justify it in their head by saying, "They dropped the price from $40! So I'm saving money!"

- While the average age of gamers is in the 30s, there is a significant number who are dependents and do not purchase games with money they earn. Therefore, they have not developed an awareness of what things should cost. I do think the MGS demographic skews younger than average.

The upside is that I don't think this will become too common. To pull off this bullshit, you have to have a high-profile game series and be in the console transition period. Later on, I don't think glorified demos such as Ground Zeroes will be too appealing if quality games are already out for the PS4.

My piece about this is if you want your voices heard do not buy it at all. Don't buy and flip and what not because Konami won't feel your disgust.

Either buy and enjoy it for what it is. It's not like they are misadvertising it. They are quite clear with the fact that it's short. Or just don't buy it and wait and your voice will be heard.

I myself will be buying it, playing it and enjoying it taking it for what it is. I'm not gonna sit and complain. I'll have fun playing it over and over, and doing everything in the game.

hmm i have three options

1. buy this from tru for full msrp (paying this much for a 1 hour demo burns smh) get the gift card and trade it in asap before the tiv nukes

2. get this for 23.99$ at bestbuy using gcu, get no gift card and trade it in asap

3. use gamestops ”7 day rental” policy and just spend nothing

i think imma do option 3 cause as much as i looooove metal gear im not letting konami pimp me out of this much money for a seemingly one hour demo. plus if this does really well other publishers will try it too :(

You merely are spitting out false rumors you heard about on the internet without actually trying to find a fact from an actual real source

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-rumor-vs-reality/1100-6418111/

That is from people who power through the game cutting corners, skipping side content, and not watching cut scenes.

If you look here according to the color chart the accuracy is marked as poor because its red http://www.howlongtobeat.com/search.php?t=games&s=metal+gear+ground+zeroes

Youll also notice that is was only polled by 4 people.

Besides you can burn through the original MGS in like 4 or 5 hours if you really want, but that doesn't mean the game is actually 5 hours long.

this is going to be on the phantom pain disk when that game releases correct ? if so i would advise people waiting for that to come out as imo this game is ant cag imo. you get no equal value for your buck
No, it isn't. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-rumor-vs-reality/1100-6418111/

Again if people who actually look for information from a source that actually knows what its talking about then people spreading poor rumors they read from some guy on a forum who heard from reddit that heard from a 9 year old kid on a Nintendo forum then the gaming world would be a much nicer place.

The game is a prologue, it isn't a demo.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bottom line is if you don't want to buy, then don't buy and shut the fuck up. Nothing but bad information and crying from a bunch of internet babies in here. I didn't think GTA5 was worth 60 bucks to me so guess what? I didn't buy it for 60 bucks and not once did I ever complain about it. Just like I don't complain that like 60 bucks for dinner at mitchells fish market is too much for me, I simply don't go there to eat.

Mr_hat said:
You merely are spitting out false rumors you heard about on the internet without actually trying to find a fact from an actual real source

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-rumor-vs-reality/1100-6418111/
I read it. Sounds like mirroring the race track in a racing game to pad out a game's replayability.

Sounds like saying Mass Effect has hundreds of hours of content because you go replay the game and choose to be snarky instead of some kind of Space Jesus. The end result is the same.

I expect Ground Zeroes to be on par with that of the tanker level demo in MGS2, which had a ton of replayability. Maybe slightly beefier. But Ground Zeroes is absolutely in the spirit of a demo. A good demo, a beefy demo, but a demo nonetheless.

Ground Zeroes is like if 2K Sports released a $10/$20 copy of NBA 2k15 a few months before release with three or four teams that allowed you to save your progress with that team and port it over to the full game. Or all the teams, but you play the first month of MyCareer or something.

There are already youtube walkthroughs of the game up, and the one I watched clocked in at just around 45 minutes for the main story. That includes the 10 minute opening cutscene, and about 6 minutes of credits. The playthrough was not a speed run, and did not skip any cutscenes included.

As a die-hard Metal Gear fan, I decided to do this only after seeing the overwhelming reports of how short the game was. I normally never watch "let's play" videos or walkthroughs, but I had to see if the rumors were true.

I hate to say it, but.....seriously folks, the original 15 minute trailer is 90% of the story content from Ground Zeroes. That is not a padded over-estimate.

That said, anyone who wants to just play around killing/rescuing no-name NPC's in however many side missions there are, be my guest. But anyone expecting this to actually whet their appetite for Phantom Pain's plot will be sorely disappointed.

Think I'll wait until this officially hits $20 or less.  TRU hasn't been good to me to buy something at $30 in order to get a $10 gift card.

I don't even see any retailers offering some kind of pre-order bonus for Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.

Think I'll wait until this officially hits $20 or less. TRU hasn't been good to me to buy something at $30 in order to get a $10 gift card.

I don't even see any retailers offering some kind of pre-order bonus for Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.
What preorder bonuses were offered for Titanfall? For South Park? What does a preorder bonus(es) have to do with anything?

Yoshi's New Island with the $10 gift card is tempting even though the metacritic is low. Nintendo games usually take awhile to get a deal/sale.

Yoshi's New Island with the $10 gift card is tempting even though the metacritic is low. Nintendo games usually take awhile to get a deal/sale.
I agree; with the extra $10 it is a solid deal---however this past year the 3DS has had some first party duds that hit lower then normal prices fairly quickly (Sticker Star, M&L Dream Team)

I guess I don't find this clear. Since GZ has pre-order bonuses such as exclusive base staff, would anyone still get the pre-order stuff if anyone was to go in-store on tuesday, not pre-ordering but buying on the date?

'Cause if this is valid for other consoles, i'd like to score a nice little $10 gift card

I don't think anyone would know this answer, but I thought it's worth raising.

I guess I don't find this clear. Since GZ has pre-order bonuses such as exclusive base staff, would anyone still get the pre-order stuff if anyone was to go in-store on tuesday, not pre-ordering but buying on the date?

'Cause if this is valid for other consoles, i'd like to score a nice little $10 gift card

I don't think anyone would know this answer, but I thought it's worth raising.
That all depends on how the pre order stuff was set up. If it's in the gamecase then yes getting a day one copy should have it. Some places like best buy and gamestop print out codes based on if you pre ordered it. So in that case even a day one copy wouldn't get you the pre order bonus.

@donut i want something to hold me over till phantom pain as well but a 30$ 1 hour demo isnt what i had i mind lol. good news is theres lots of games to keep me busy so i can wait :D
I think a backlog should take priority as well. I keep up with the games I actually want to play though so for me certain games (i.e. Titanfall, MGS: GZ, etc.) that I look forward to always get the Day One purchase from me. Some cags never pay MSRP but I think the big AAA games like Metal Gear deserve the exception.

I'm not sure how long it takes to get 1000/1000/Platinum/100% Achievements but the general consensus is that the game is about 2-3 hours in length for a general play through of the main mission and a few side missions, even less if you just do the main mission. So people are going to be bitter about spending $30 on a 2-3 hour game.

$20 makes this a lot easier to swallow. I wish it was $10, but obviously this is the best deal around.

I think a backlog should take priority as well. I keep up with the games I actually want to play though so for me certain games (i.e. Titanfall, MGS: GZ, etc.) that I look forward to always get the Day One purchase from me. Some cags never pay MSRP but I think the big AAA games like Metal Gear deserve the exception.
since i caught up with what i wanted to play on ps3 before i retired it and im also waiting for ps4 games like lego marvel to get cheap my back log isnt really big like it used to be. good news is this week will give me extra goodies to play on my vita/ps4 lol

I think the idea behind giving the game a low score due to price is principle. Giving it high scores and helping it succeed commercially will only encourage Konami and other publishers to repeat this glorified demo BS. 

I'll rent this from redbox since it so short or buy presented from gamestop and return it within a few days for full refund

Seriously, Ive played this.  If you're a fan, buy it.  If you're not, try it, you will buy it.  The game's atmosphere was just mind-blowing.  Graphics, sound, gameplay.  Also if you haven't played Peace Walker HD, then you can't judge the MGS series, it's also a terrific game.  BTW I read Peace Walker is free if you buy this on PSNPS3, which will make the price tag much easier to swallow for some.

I think I'll go this route... I'll see if I can get Best Buy to match the $10 gift card. Combine that with the GCU price and it's worth it knowing I'll be able to trade it back the next day for whatever price they give. If they won't match it, then never mind. 

I'm not sure how long it takes to get 1000/1000/Platinum/100% Achievements but the general consensus is that the game is about 2-3 hours in length for a general play through of the main mission and a few side missions, even less if you just do the main mission. So people are going to be bitter about spending $30 on a 2-3 hour game.

$20 makes this a lot easier to swallow. I wish it was $10, but obviously this is the best deal around.
Sounds like a great redbox game to me

Lol, so you judged MGS series without playing the best in the series, MGS3 or even MGS4 which was better then MGS2
Ok thanks, didn't know you could peak into my life and figure out that MGS3 was my fave. Apparently I've never played Twin Snakes or Guns of the Patriots either.

Peacewalker was terrific.  Great PSP game that deserves a playthrough for any MGS fan.  The asset retrieval concept in Peacewalker is supposed to be the same way the "key advantage" works in playing Ground Zeroes before Phantom Pain.  Holy cow, I gush over MGS3.  Loved it.  I'm guessing it won't work, but I wonder if any PS3 players will have their assets carried over cross-gen to PS4 by the time Phantom Pain comes out.  Wonder if I should tweet Kojima and see if he responds. 

Ok thanks, didn't know you could peak into my life and figure out that MGS3 was my fave. Apparently I've never played Twin Snakes or Guns of the Patriots either.
Didn't say it was your fav, don't care either

It's the best in the series and you judge the series based on MGS2

Lol

Added an update to the main post, you can save an additional 10% off the game if you use the coupon. 3 bucks is 3 bucks my fellow cags ;) Now to just hope the gift card deal works with the other platforms.

The coupon specifically states 10% off of a regular priced VIDEO GAME.
Ok thanks for correcting me on that. I didn't bother reading the T&C since TRU coupons have excluded games for years now. However, it should be noted that in the past, the POS is supposed to only take one promo at a time. Promos no longer stack depending on how they are coded. Whenever a gift card is issued with a game, it comes up as a promo at the POS. Therefore, I still believe it is unlikely we will be able to stack the 10% coupon with the $10 gift card. Only the gift card offer should work.

Also, it has happened on a rare occassion but I'd expect this gift card offer to work on all platforms.

Ok thanks for correcting me on that. I didn't bother reading the T&C since TRU coupons have excluded games for years now. However, it should be noted that in the past, the POS is supposed to only take one promo at a time. Promos no longer stack depending on how they are coded. Whenever a gift card is issued with a game, it comes up as a promo at the POS. Therefore, I still believe it is unlikely we will be able to stack the 10% coupon with the $10 gift card. Only the gift card offer should work.

Also, it has happened on a rare occassion but I'd expect this gift card offer to work on all platforms.
Yeah, I don't really see it stacking either. So the $10 gift card is ultimately the better deal.

I work part time at a TRU and the last gift card deal stacked with a 20% off regular priced video game coupon for Plants Vs Zombies. Not sure if its because the 20% off was someones rewards card coupon and those are personalized to be something different every month to my knowledge.

Unfortunately, this game doesn't even have a platinum trophy. It only has 15 total trophies.

bread's done
Back