TRU. Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zero 26.99 with 10.00 Gift Card.

DaddyBoJangles

CAGiversary!
Feedback
95 (100%)
Mod edit: good for all versions of the game

I closed at my TRU tonight and set up all the games in the case and whatnot. The $10 Gift Card promotion works for ALL systems (XB360, XBOne, PS3, PS4). So you should be all set there.

----

Toys R Us over on their webpage have MGS5 listed with a 10.00 gift card coming back for purchase. The ad only lists one SKU(Xbox 360) , not sure if this deal will work with other platforms. Guess we'll know more Tuesday.

OIa6M2B.jpg

Coupon Below will knock an additional 2.99 off the game at time of purchase.

iqg38z.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What am I missing. Your receipt shows the game at 24.99. I thought it is 29.99.
It actually says $24.29 before tax, which means he got 10% off the game twice somehow... :whistle2:k

It says $25.99 and that's after the 10% coupon which takes away $3.
That's $25.99 after $1.70 tax is added to the $24.29 game price.

...Also, $29.99 - $3 is $26.99, not $25.99. :whistle2:

Tempted to return my copy to Best Buy...I should have checked the math before I even left the store, but looking at my receipt it seems like the CS rep did something wonky. She was hesitant to match the gift card until confirming with a manager that she could, and then again when the picture showed the 360 version (I bought PS4)...but anyways, the receipt lists the game as $19.99* (with the asterisk), and underneath it has a $6.00 VID GM BNDL (bundle deal I guess) and a $4.00 PRICE MATCH COMP (my guess is she didn't want to do it as $10.00 because that would require an override and the manager next to her was busy?). Then for my Gamer's Club Unlocked, I didn't get a discount at all, which strikes me as complete bull. I'm not price-matching the game, I'm taking advantage of a gift card. On top of that, I PAY for that discount, it isn't a sale price, so I should have received 20% off regardless...

So she then rang up a $10 gift card to bring my total back to $29.99 before tax...just bizarre way of doing it IMO; never really had an issue before, but this rubs me the wrong way, even though it's only $6, I paid for a membership that lets me save that $6, and so I should save it even if I price match...

EDIT: I understand that the FAQ for the program states that you will get either the price match or the 20%, not both, but my point is that it shouldn't be that way, because you pay for the discount to begin with. And in this instance, the deal isn't an adjustment in price on the game, it's a $10 gift card included with purchase, so it should have been able to do both IMO...

It actually says $24.29 before tax, which means he got 10% off the game twice somehow... :whistle2:k

That's $25.99 after $1.70 tax is added to the $24.29 game price.

...Also, $29.99 - $3 is $26.99, not $25.99. :whistle2:
TRU is my part time job how I got the additional discount, sorry for the lack of clarification in my post

Tempted to return my copy to Best Buy...I should have checked the math before I even left the store, but looking at my receipt it seems like the CS rep did something wonky. She was hesitant to match the gift card until confirming with a manager that she could, and then again when the picture showed the 360 version (I bought PS4)...but anyways, the receipt lists the game as $19.99* (with the asterisk), and underneath it has a $6.00 VID GM BNDL (bundle deal I guess) and a $4.00 PRICE MATCH COMP (my guess is she didn't want to do it as $10.00 because that would require an override and the manager next to her was busy?). Then for my Gamer's Club Unlocked, I didn't get a discount at all, which strikes me as complete bull. I'm not price-matching the game, I'm taking advantage of a gift card. On top of that, I PAY for that discount, it isn't a sale price, so I should have received 20% off regardless...

So she then rang up a $10 gift card to bring my total back to $29.99 before tax...just bizarre way of doing it IMO; never really had an issue before, but this rubs me the wrong way, even though it's only $6, I paid for a membership that lets me save that $6, and so I should save it even if I price match...

EDIT: I understand that the FAQ for the program states that you will get either the price match or the 20%, not both, but my point is that it shouldn't be that way, because you pay for the discount to begin with. And in this instance, the deal isn't an adjustment in price on the game, it's a $10 gift card included with purchase, so it should have been able to do both IMO...
You agreed to be bound by the terms of the membership you bought. One of those terms is that you either get a price match (Best Buy has no obligation to give you a gift card nor match a gift card deal, so they already went above and beyond by giving you $10 off) or a 20% discount. You chose a price match and got more than 20% off, so there is absolutely nothing to complain about.

Your just looking for a way to double dip. Getting a gift card promo from Best Buy would be price matching because they aren't offering any deals on the game, so no you shouldn't get 20% off as well. I understand we are all cheapassgamers, but you sound like someone who feels like they are entitled to whatever they want.

I just got back from BBY and they PM this deal. They took $10 off the price and then I had a $10 reward cert so only $10 out of pocket.
Did you just print a copy of their online ad that shows only the x360 sku or is there something better to PM? I want to PM the Xbone copy.

Did you just print a copy of their online ad that shows only the x360 sku or is there something better to PM? I want to PM the Xbone copy.
When I went into the store I didn't see any PS4 copies so and saw the store supervisor. I asked him if they had any copies in for PS4 and tries to locate a copy. I was telling him about the TRU offer and asked if they would match it. The supervisor told me they would just take $10 off making it $19.99. After returning from the back he brings me the game and says we only got 4 copies. I didn't get my 20% off for GCU but wasn't going to argue since they would look at it as a double dip/PM. When you get a helpful supervisor you don't want to look pain in the ass and burn future PM/GC promotions. I was happy to walk out there with it for $11 after my $10 certificate.

The supervisor just took my word on it and didn't look it up. Luckily this CAG doesn't lie even those my name is Bumslie!

When I went into the store I didn't see any PS4 copies so I saw the store supervisor. I asked him if they had any copies in for PS4 and tries to locate a copy. I was telling him about the TRU offer and asked if they would match it. The supervisor told me they would just take $10 off making it $19.99. After returning from the back he brings me the game and says we only got 4 copies. I didn't get my 20% off for GCU but wasn't going to argue since they would look at it as a double dip/PM. When you get a helpful supervisor you don't want to look pain in the ass and burn future PM/GC promotions. I was happy to walk out there with it for $11 after my $10 certificate.

The supervisor just took my word on it and didn't look it up. Luckily this CAG doesn't lie even those my name is Bumslie!
Your avatar freaks me out.

Had a coupon from the mail for $10 off $30, used it to get the xbox one version and a pack of M&Ms for around $20 plus the $10 gift card. Good times

Bojay and bigant = the truth
I understand completely the terms, but a gift card offer is not a 'price match'. They aren't matching a price, they are matching an incentive, and most retailers do distinguish between the two (many places will only match prices, and not incentives).

As for agreeing to the terms, I'm well aware. I love my GCU membership, especially since I renewed in the fall and was automatically granted the new membership without having to pay any $60 or $30 fee (forgot how much it was)...so my $15 got turned into the $120 version at no extra charge, valid through September - an amazing deal, and I've definitely benefited greatly from it already. I was merely expressing my opinion that their terms concerning price matching and the GCU are indefensible in practice, because GCU members pay for that discount - and thus the more ethical business practice would be to let you use that it in addition to any price/incentive match (even if you take the 20% off of the matched price instead of the original). Moreover, I do not view the TRU deal as a 'price match', and thus I was a little annoyed that it was treated as such. Even if Best Buy is no longer matching such deals as a whole, my local store does (as do many stores; CAG users frequently get away with much, much more than company policy dictates at this and other retailers), and so it would have merely been nice to have it treated as the incentive it was, and not matching a cheaper price.

I still spend far too much money at Best Buy, as I still enjoy shopping there, but their policies have taken a dive in the last year, especially with price matching. I won't fret too much over the $6 I feel I should have saved, but I felt like sharing the experience nonetheless.

Does anyone know what TRU's policy is with pre-orders? I put $20 down on something months ago and never picked it up. Do I have $20 credit there or did they just eat my money?
It depends on what you pre-ordered exactly. Most video games and movies are only $1 down to reserve the copy of it. If you still have the receipt and the pre-sell card you used, you should be able to still purchase the item if its in stock and have the $20 credited towards it, but I have no idea how long ago it was that you did this or what the item is. Never really had this issue come up before.

I understand completely the terms, but a gift card offer is not a 'price match'. They aren't matching a price, they are matching an incentive, and most retailers do distinguish between the two (many places will only match prices, and not incentives).
Exactly. So the fact that they even matched the incentive in the first place should have been more then enough. Their Low Price Guarantee even states it excludes gift card offers for matching. You already shop there often enough, so the $10 gift card is a better deal in the long run then the $6.

I just got back from BBY and they PM this deal for the PS4. They took $10 off the price and then I had a $10 reward certificate so only $11 out of pocket.
Did you get the 20% off

Last edited:

As for agreeing to the terms, I'm well aware. I love my GCU membership, especially since I renewed in the fall and was automatically granted the new membership without having to pay any $60 or $30 fee (forgot how much it was)...so my $15 got turned into the $120 version at no extra charge, valid through September - an amazing deal, and I've definitely benefited greatly from it already. I was merely expressing my opinion that their terms concerning price matching and the GCU are indefensible in practice, because GCU members pay for that discount - and thus the more ethical business practice would be to let you use that it in addition to any price/incentive match (even if you take the 20% off of the matched price instead of the original). Moreover, I do not view the TRU deal as a 'price match', and thus I was a little annoyed that it was treated as such. Even if Best Buy is no longer matching such deals as a whole, my local store does (as do many stores; CAG users frequently get away with much, much more than company policy dictates at this and other retailers), and so it would have merely been nice to have it treated as the incentive it was, and not matching a cheaper price.

I still spend far too much money at Best Buy, as I still enjoy shopping there, but their policies have taken a dive in the last year, especially with price matching. I won't fret too much over the $6 I feel I should have saved, but I felt like sharing the experience nonetheless.
You can view the match any way you want, it doesn't change the fact that you are in the wrong here. The fact that you paid for GCU is totally irrelevant. You know what the policies are and whether it was a free program or paid, when you signed up, you agreed to be bound by them. Best Buy gave you an extra $4 that you weren't entitled to under any of their policies. The price at Toys R Us is $29.99 and then they give you a $10 gift card applicable to some other item. Here, Best Buy sold you the item for $20. You got a great deal and should be thanking them for even allowing such a thing.

Just brought the game from TRU, the shelf doesn't show the gift card tag so you'll have to ask them about it. The clerk says the 20% off doesn't stack unless he overrides it or something. However, I used a $10 off $30 that I got in the mail like a user above me did but I didn't have to add anything extra, I just left it at $29.99.

Long story short, the $10 off $30 card from the mail does not stack with the 20% off coupon but it does work by itself on a $29.99 game without adding anything.

Shout outs to the salesman for saving me around 66%. However, I doubt anyone will buy this 2 hour game so I guess I got ripped off regardless.

I understand what you're saying. Your opinion is that despite the store allowing you to match the incentive, you didn't get your GCU membership discount. But you need to understand that to Best Buy, price matches are just viewed as a separate offer altogether. The actual fine print of the old policy used to allow price matching of gift cards as they referred to it as "compensation." Ultimately a lot of cags ran into problems matching the compensation clause as stores were given the final authority whether to do so or not. Since then, they have updated the terms so that they do not need to match the compensation making it a YMMV deal with respect to matching incentives.

GCU does not stack with other offers. It's meant to work on Best Buy regular prices (MSRP). As an exception, it will stack with Best Buy's own sales prices. It makes more sense if you just look at it that way. If you price match another retailer, it is an offer. Not a Best Buy sales price. GCU is another separate offer. The POS is coded to not stack multiple offers. Therefore the system by design is telling you one or the other. You can't have both. Their terms have called out no price matching with GCU discounts. I hope that clears it up for you.

You've admitted yourself you've come out way ahead due to the new program. It sure as hell beats Gamestop/Walmart/Amazon and every other retailer out there. Let's just be happy we have this program.

Even as a GCU I couldn't pass on $26.99 + $10GC (which I used on a $20 PSN card) for the PS4 version

Great day 1 deal

So...it looks like this game can be completed in 10 minutes.....I'm...not....sure....if I want this still.
No, it can't on your first play. My first playthrough took almost 4 hours. The person who beat it in 10 minutes literally had played through it multiple times and was speed running. You can speed run Morrowind in 5 minutes, Ocarina of Time in 20.

I'd say replaying the campaign and all side missions wlill probably put you at 6-10 hours

Sorry to be a nuisance but I'm on my mobile phone viewing this... Is this deal for ONLY today? I got the gist it was after reading the first post. I know this game is short and possibly not worth it but I'm a hugeee MGS fan and want this game at the best possible CAG discount possible. Thanks in advance!

I understand what you're saying. Your opinion is that despite the store allowing you to match the incentive, you didn't get your GCU membership discount. But you need to understand that to Best Buy, price matches are just viewed as a separate offer altogether. The actual fine print of the old policy used to allow price matching of gift cards as they referred to it as "compensation." Ultimately a lot of cags ran into problems matching the compensation clause as stores were given the final authority whether to do so or not. Since then, they have updated the terms so that they do not need to match the compensation making it a YMMV deal with respect to matching incentives.

GCU does not stack with other offers. It's meant to work on Best Buy regular prices (MSRP). As an exception, it will stack with Best Buy's own sales prices. It makes more sense if you just look at it that way. If you price match another retailer, it is an offer. Not a Best Buy sales price. GCU is another separate offer. The POS is coded to not stack multiple offers. Therefore the system by design is telling you one or the other. You can't have both. Their terms have called out no price matching with GCU discounts. I hope that clears it up for you.

You've admitted yourself you've come out way ahead due to the new program. It sure as hell beats Gamestop/Walmart/Amazon and every other retailer out there. Let's just be happy we have this program.
Why do people insist on defending BestBuy and not see the obvious flaw in the GCU since they changed ship in January and no longer stack the 20% on price matching??? Best Buy has to laugh all the way to the bank with the GCU fees they collected because when they give you a discount on your game but do not offer that at the cheapest price for the game you are not really coming close to a real 20% discount. I mean my gosh TRU is a way better deal on MGS V than the BestBuy pay MSRP and we will discount it 20%. If BestBuy really wanted to get everyone's gaming business they would give the GCU 20% on price matching but instead they want to take the GCU fees and laugh to the bank by only discounting their 99% MSRP pricing standards.

Weird, i thought BB PM policy said they do not match gift card offers, i prolly woulda gone for that (unless changed, guessing YMMV).

Also, our 1 TRU is by the mall (a huge pain traffic-wise) and has small games department, i hate going over there.

Edit: and you guys would be proud, i held on getting this today. If infamous SS wasnt friday i woulda picked it up, cuz well kojima needs my money.

People shouldn't judge this game by some guy who played it a lot and decided to speed run it in 10 minutes.

I know one of the reviews I read the reviewer said he played for around 8 hours doing everything twice. I expect to play it more than one and will probably end up messing around for awhile.

I am hoping that Ground Zeroes and Phantom pain will be bundled at some retailers at the release of Phantom Pain. I may be ok paying $79.99 combined for the PS4.

Was able to get this deal just fine this evening. Got the game for $28 after taxes and the gift card. Will use the gift card tomorrow on another item. Win win. Thanks OP.

Why do people insist on defending BestBuy and not see the obvious flaw in the GCU since they changed ship in January and no longer stack the 20% on price matching??? Best Buy has to laugh all the way to the bank with the GCU fees they collected because when they give you a discount on your game but do not offer that at the cheapest price for the game you are not really coming close to a real 20% discount. I mean my gosh TRU is a way better deal on MGS V than the BestBuy pay MSRP and we will discount it 20%. If BestBuy really wanted to get everyone's gaming business they would give the GCU 20% on price matching but instead they want to take the GCU fees and laugh to the bank by only discounting their 99% MSRP pricing standards.
to my recollection it never did stack with price matches. now with the soon to be extinct @gamet coupons it did stack with those. sadly they nuked that

I am hoping that Ground Zeroes and Phantom pain will be bundled at some retailers at the release of Phantom Pain. I may be ok paying $79.99 combined for the PS4.
It should be no more than $59.99 as a bundle as GZ, while good and not as short as some say, is totally like chapters one and two of a 10 chapter book/game/etc

Sorry to be a nuisance but I'm on my mobile phone viewing this... Is this deal for ONLY today? I got the gist it was after reading the first post. I know this game is short and possibly not worth it but I'm a hugeee MGS fan and want this game at the best possible CAG discount possible. Thanks in advance!
No, this specific sale runs 3/18-3/22 (this saturday).

When does the $10 expire? Don't TRU coupons expire in a few months like BBY?
The current promotional gift card expires May 3rd, so you'll have to use it by then or lose out.

Your avatar freaks me out.

FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit should lock you both of you in a room and conduct a month long study to find out what other disturbing images are in your heads. Im predicting at least ONE of you will turn out to be the next Jeffrey Dahmer.

Just brought the game from TRU, the shelf doesn't show the gift card tag so you'll have to ask them about it. The clerk says the 20% off doesn't stack unless he overrides it or something. However, I used a $10 off $30 that I got in the mail like a user above me did but I didn't have to add anything extra, I just left it at $29.99.

Long story short, the $10 off $30 card from the mail does not stack with the 20% off coupon but it does work by itself on a $29.99 game without adding anything.

Shout outs to the salesman for saving me around 66%. However, I doubt anyone will buy this 2 hour game so I guess I got ripped off regardless.
The 20% coupon doesn't work with it at all.

When does the $10 expire? Don't TRU coupons expire in a few months like BBY?
Depends on the gift card your handed at the register. There are TRU Gift Cards that have a red line on them that say Promotional Gift Card with an expiration date on them. They take 6 hours to activate and generally expire in a month or so.

Then they have Merchandise Gift Cards, they never expire and are activated immediately its what is generally used for returns but some cashiers put promo gift cards on them if no promo cards are lying around.

The offer is valid through March 22nd.

So...it looks like this game can be completed in 10 minutes.....I'm...not....sure....if I want this still.
took me 60 minutes, not including the cut scenes but was worth the $2 from red box.

if you skip all the cutscenes and just run to the objectives and do them i can see it be done in 10 minutes , be prepared to fight lots of guards if you just run and gun

There is no flaw. The 20% discount is a popular deal for cags. Any further stacking only makes it unprofitable for Best Buy. If anything, it would be a flaw on their part to not code the POS to prevent stacking.

I beat this game last night in under 5 minutes.  By beat, I mean literally beat (punched and kicked) the disc, I didn't actually play the game but I heard it was quite good.  

bread's done
Back