TurboGrafx-16 Mini Retro Console (Amazon Exclusive : Pre-orders start July 15th)

FatBoyInside

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1137 (100%)
gdpteemblz1zjqrwmupn.jpg
 ​
regions.jpg
 ​
 ​

OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE : MARCH 19, 2020   (MSRP is $99.99)

AMAZON will be the EXCLUSIVE SELLER for this device, and pre-orders will open up on July 15th.

Konami's plug and play mini-replica system (roughly 85% of the original console's dimensions to maintain authenticity) will feature USB-enabled original-sized controller, HDMI-output, different display modes, quick save function for its pre-loaded games, and multitap accessory support (sold separately) for up to 5 players at once.  50 pre-loaded games currently announced are :

​
American Titles (English language only)
  • Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninja Spirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II

PC Engine titles (Japanese language only)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (aka Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes (SuperGrafx game)
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts - SuperGrafx game)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Additional Turbo TG-16 mini controller - 2800 yen  (approx. $28)

Multi-tap TG-16 mini expansion accessory for 4 added controller ports - 3400 yen (approx. $34)

There are overlaps of games from the two different regions, so all titles are in their original language only.  If any other details arise, I will be sure to update this page. Cheers!

Official website is HERE

For comparison's sake, the Japanese counterpart (PC Engine Mini) will include the following exclusive titles:

• Tokimeki Memorial (Dating sim) to replace Salamander

Cool stats to noodle over : 138 licensed games were released for the Turbografx-16 in North America, with 44 of them being on the CD-format.  On the other hand, a total of 650 games were officially released commercially in Japan for the PC Engine.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure the voice in Dracula X is German with Japanese subtitles. So even "translated" it wouldn't be in English, just the subtitles.
Correct. Even in the psp remake, the German voice remains. And if I'm not mistaken, the English translation hack for the turbo version actually borrows audio from the psp version to replace the Japanese dialogue.

Ys IV is an even weirder situation. There's a version with text translated to English but the Japanese dialogue is intact, and another version where the voices have also been translated to English by fans.

Right. Because the other comments doesn't explain why games like Bonk's Adventure are only the Japanese version.
They obviously put together a one size fits all compromise that would give each region a little something. Doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

And for Bonk's Adventure, do you really need to waste space on another version where pretty much the only change is a translated title screen?

Correct. Even in the psp remake, the German voice remains. And if I'm not mistaken, the English translation hack for the turbo version actually borrows audio from the psp version to replace the Japanese dialogue.
It was German originally on release. The tg16 mini version is the same as it was released. The PSP remake updated the intro voice, in German as well.

They obviously put together a one size fits all compromise that would give each region a little something. Doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

And for Bonk's Adventure, do you really need to waste space on another version where pretty much the only change is a translated title screen?
True. It's not like it had some incredible story.

But I thought there were two different versions of the console anyway? It just seems weird that the US version has less English games than Japanese. And then you have Bonk's Revenge and Air Zonk English versions but the first game is Japanese. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

True. It's not like it had some incredible story.

But I thought there were two different versions of the console anyway? It just seems weird that the US version has less English games than Japanese. And then you have Bonk's Revenge and Air Zonk English versions but the first game is Japanese. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Could have been extensive market research - or more likely something as simple as them saying to the game selection guy, "You can't have all those Bonks on the US menu, you need to pick one to put on the Japanese side", and him saying, "fine, the crappiest out of those three is the first one, I'll just put that one on there."

Either way, definitely looking forward to the hack to tidy things up on both sides.

I had cancelled my pre order, I guess because I figured I shouldn't be buying games during coronavirus.  Now its out of stock, hopefully it comes back, it already reminds me of missing the nes classic the first time around and it didn't come back for years

Ok I bit. 116 dollars from amazon warehouse For a used good condition from amazon warehouse. That was not there an hour ago. I know it will eventually come back in stock new and then go oos like the nes mini did. I’m just hoping it is in good working condition

Edit I know it’s not ideal to buy for 116 but I just didn’t want to get completely assed out, knowing Konami they may only keep a very small stock and not bother with a restock

I got a MINT complete mini core grafx with a practically brand new 8 bit wireless Bluetooth core grafx controller. Willing to sell. PM me if interested. Everything is still boxed up.

Did you get the controller as a backup in case the original wears out? Or you wanted one with the turbo buttons?
The console only comes with one tg16 themed turbopad. I purchased the second controller (pc engine themed turbopad) for 2 player games and to have at least one spare official controller.

I wish I could have bought a tg 16 themed turbopad instead, but the mini would lose a lot of its allure for me personally if I my one controller breaks and i have to settle for 8bitdo...so I took the pce option.

And yes, I absolutely wanted the turboswitches.

You need the turbo tap for 2 player games. At least you did on the original tg16

An arcade stick like for the neo geo mini would be awesome

That is good, I would still love an arcade stick for the shooters.

Are there any arcade sticks that will work with this system? I know the neo geo mini has an arcade stick

Ys IV is an even weirder situation. There's a version with text translated to English but the Japanese dialogue is intact, and another version where the voices have also been translated to English by fans.
Are you talking about Ys IV or I & II? If you're talking about IV, Memories of Celceta on Vita/PC, and just released on PS4, if the official remake of that game. The PS4 version even adds Japanese voices if that's you're thing.

Are you talking about Ys IV or I & II? If you're talking about IV, Memories of Celceta on Vita/PC, and just released on PS4, if the official remake of that game. The PS4 version even adds Japanese voices if that's you're thing.
Ys IV for PC Engine, which is completely different than the one released for Vita/PS4. The PCE one is more like Ys I & II. There is a fan translation of that, which took many years to complete.

Ys IV for PC Engine, which is completely different than the one released for Vita/PS4. The PCE one is more like Ys I & II. There is a fan translation of that, which took many years to complete.
At this point why bother with that instead of the official remake done in the superior Ys Seven style?

There are some games I prefer their original art to the modern updates.  Dragon Quest... I still love the original "Dragon Warrior" versions on NES.  For a serious fan of a series, it's cool to play the original version translated.  Especially the games we never got.

At this point why bother with that instead of the official remake done in the superior Ys Seven style?
Because this system doesn't play vita or ps4 games due to it being a turbografx tribute.

Plus owning and having played both versions, I actually like the original PCE version better, so I'd disagree with the new one being called "superior."

Finally got fed up with waiting and just ordered a TG16 from Amazon Japan. I was considering buying one of the AWD units but decided against it for several reasons. If it arrives in bad condition it's a $100+ dollar return which is a red flag for an Amazon ban.

Also, how can AWD charge above MSRP on these? I thought the MSRP was $99.99 and they're selling "used--acceptable" units for ~ $105 and "used--good" ~ $115. Isn't this technically illegal?

Anyways, happy to have scored a brand new one direct, it worked out to be only about five dollars more than if I had purchased one new from Amazon US at MSRP, shipping included. Can't wait to dig into the library!

Finally got fed up with waiting and just ordered a TG16 from Amazon Japan. I was considering buying one of the AWD units but decided against it for several reasons. If it arrives in bad condition it's a $100+ dollar return which is a red flag for an Amazon ban.

Also, how can AWD charge above MSRP on these? I thought the MSRP was $99.99 and they're selling "used--acceptable" units for ~ $105 and "used--good" ~ $115. Isn't this technically illegal?

Anyways, happy to have scored a brand new one direct, it worked out to be only about five dollars more than if I had purchased one new from Amazon US at MSRP, shipping included. Can't wait to dig into the library!
Amazon and Walmart allow 3rd party sellers on their website. Those sellers can charge whatever they want for non-essential items. If the demand is higher than the supply, then items cost more.

Amazon warehouse is different from a reseller. Items have a manufacturers suggested price, but I always figured the suggested retail price was just a suggestion. I bought one in good condition from awh for 114. It’s silly for Konami to produce too few of these

Amazon warehouse is different from a reseller. Items have a manufacturers suggested price, but I always figured the suggested retail price was just a suggestion. I bought one in good condition from awh for 114. It’s silly for Konami to produce too few of these
I assumed Amazon Warehouse would sell the 3rd party sellers' inventory that was damaged in the warehouse, so they're knocking a percent off of what the 3rd party was selling it for. I don't know shit about shit, though.

Amazon and Walmart allow 3rd party sellers on their website. Those sellers can charge whatever they want for non-essential items. If the demand is higher than the supply, then items cost more.
I am aware that third-party sellers can charge what they want. I am referring to "Amazon Warehouse Deals" (AWD). It's a division of Amazon's sales and as far as I can tell, that does not classify them as a third-party. It's an outlet for Amazon to sell used and returned merchandise. That would be like Walmart taking a return on a Nintendo Switch that they sold for $300 and putting it back on the shelf for $350. From what I understand, this is illegal, i.e. retailers (technically) can not sell an item above its MSRP.

I am aware that third-party sellers can charge what they want. I am referring to "Amazon Warehouse Deals" (AWD). It's a division of Amazon's sales and as far as I can tell, that does not classify them as a third-party. It's an outlet for Amazon to sell used and returned merchandise. That would be like Walmart taking a return on a Nintendo Switch that they sold for $300 and putting it back on the shelf for $350. From what I understand, this is illegal, i.e. retailers (technically) can not sell an item above its MSRP.
I dont think its Illegal...unethical yes....I could see how it violates contracts.

When the mod is released expect the USB ports to be unlocked. The Neo Geo X stick should work then.
I don't have a neo geo x stick, https://www.amazon.com/Neogeo-x-Arcade-Stick-Electronic-Games/dp/B0098F6PSY/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=neo+geo+mini&qid=1593020519&sr=8-17

Will this work with the neo geo mini, and how do you unlock the turbografx mini to use this stick? Or should I get something else? I mostly want a stick for shooters, I don't play that many of the fighting games.

OK the neo geo x arcade stick is a cheap knockoff, this is a first party controller, from neo geo that will work with the mini, but apparently not with the tg 16 mini.

https://www.amazon.com/Neogeo-Arcade-Stick-Pro-Neo-Pocket/dp/B07Y71JM6X/ref=asc_df_B07Y71JM6X/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583520389475351&th=1

I'd love a stick that would work good with the tg 16 for all of the shooters. I bought a 20 dollar hori switch controller that does work with the tg 16 mini, and will test it out tomorrow when my tg mini arrives, if I think I'd like the neo arcade stick, I will go ahead and get that as well, but jeez 160 dollars is a bit much.

How much did it cost you?

I’ve been playing this like crazy. Is there any chance Konami makes a part 2? Legendary axe 1 and 2, Ys 3 and 4, devils crush, bonk 3, super air zonk, beyond shadow gate , dungeon explorer 2, macross 2036, macross love song, gate of thunder, exile 1 and 2, vastest 1 and 2, neo nectaris

That is off the top of my head. Put all of those games on one system and I’d be a happy man put half on USA and half on pc engine .

Is there a way to mod the tg 16 mini like the snes mini?

I’ve been playing this like crazy. Is there any chance Konami makes a part 2? Legendary axe 1 and 2, Ys 3 and 4, devils crush, bonk 3, super air zonk, beyond shadow gate , dungeon explorer 2, macross 2036, macross love song, gate of thunder, exile 1 and 2, vastest 1 and 2, neo nectaris

That is off the top of my head. Put all of those games on one system and I’d be a happy man put half on USA and half on pc engine .

Is there a way to mod the tg 16 mini like the snes mini?
You are probably best off looking for a Raspberry Pi based solution if you want more. I'm not sure if they have hacked it yet, but you are probably going to run into space issues given many of the best TG16/PC Engine games are on CD - although an OTG connected USB Drive for more space (like with the PS Classic) might be an option eventually. And I really doubt they make a new one.

I don't see anything illegal about it. AWD is probably a separate business entity of Amazon so any contracts the company has to abide by with manufacturers probably doesn't apply. Alternatively, AWD can charge what it wants for used items. Really no differrent from what Gamestop does and has done on certain games.

I don't see anything illegal about it. AWD is probably a separate business entity of Amazon so any contracts the company has to abide by with manufacturers probably doesn't apply. Alternatively, AWD can charge what it wants for used items. Really no differrent from what Gamestop does and has done on certain games.
Not to mention MSRP where the "S" means "suggested". Stores can charge more for items, and they really only get in trouble with the law when they are necessities and run afoul of price gouging laws (food, water, gas, etc.). It's not uncommon in some mall stores in prime, heavy traffic locations to add a few dollars premium to items. The Electronics Boutique I worked in back in college many times would be a couple dollars more on some popular games because we had a center of the mall location near a major entrance, whereas Babbage was over in a recessed corner. It happens less these days because companies have basically settled on pretty standard pricing and markups are more noticed by customers.

The main risk is consumer and manufacturer backlash. Consumers don't like feeling cheated, and manufacturers often have contracts preventing stores from selling above or below certain levels without permission.

Anytime you see post like that for Amazon, just assume it's gone if it's no longer showing, as once info like that, hits a board like this, it never last long.
I think it lasted about a week after it hit the board if you were willing to buy the packaged deal. I was pissed Splatterhouse wasn’t in it so I passed. I regret doing so now.

On March 6th, TheVerge said this:

"The TurboGrafx-16 Mini, a retro revival of the classic Japanese gaming console ..., has been delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak, Konami announced today."

(Can't post links yet.)

On March 6th, TheVerge said this:

"The TurboGrafx-16 Mini, a retro revival of the classic Japanese gaming console ..., has been delayed due to the coronavirus outbreak, Konami announced today."

(Can't post links yet.)
It was available on Amazon Japan in April and Amazon US preorders shipped in May. There was a brief window in June when Amazon US still had inventory, but now they are sold out. It may still be available from Amazon Japan.

The TG16 mini is still available at Amazon Japan. Surely Konami will make more of these available for sale in America at some point. No point in going through all the design work and set up manufacturing, then only sell a handful in the US. There is clearly a demand for them, as Amazon US sold out pretty early once they had them in stock. Then again, it's Konami we are talking about.

Given that these are essentially emulation boxes, you're basically paying for the tiny exterior, and the software work done by M2. While the games themselves are nice to have in an official capacity, there are are other options for those less concerned with legality. And in this particular instance, there wouldn't even be much in the way of economic quandary, as the original TurboGrafx was never a big seller to begin with. The actual hardware inside these mini-boxes has been largely generic, so there is no real value for them when it comes to the internals. The hardware shells and the customized software is where the real value lies.

Ys4 will probably not happen as Falcom doesn't register as the official (Dawn of Ys) rather SNES one (Mask of the Sun), and now, Celceta are consider proper.

as for Riot games...did anyone ever get their licensing rights for their games?

Ys4 will probably not happen as Falcom doesn't register as the official (Dawn of Ys) rather SNES one (Mask of the Sun), and now, Celceta are consider proper.

as for Riot games...did anyone ever get their licensing rights for their games?
Seems most of Riot's (and Telenet) games sit with sunsoft (according to Wikipedia, I say most as opposed to Wikipedia stating all because.... Don't ask what happened to the Valis series) :(

bread's done
Back