Two kids I've known for years just commited a grisly murder 20 minutes from my house.

Sofa King Kool

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
This is apparently making big news, as it's a picture perfect story of a quiet town being shocked by a grisly, unprovoked murder.

These four kids picked an isolated home at random, fully intending to kill anyone and everyone inside. The two kids that I've known for years, one armed with a knife and the other with a fucking machete, butchered a 42 year old mom to death in her bed. They then beat the living fuck out of her eleven year old daughter and slit her throat. The daughter survived through extensive surgery. The mother died on the spot. All this took place Sunday morning at 4am.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Four%20arrested%20in%20brutal%20murder%20of%20NH%20mom&articleId=adebed4a-86e4-4b29-838c-e65d632ecc83 - Article

http://www.wmur.com/video/21216564/index.html - News Report

http://p.castfire.com/RuyUq/video/170917/montvernon-murder-telegraph-640x480_2009-10-06-155333.flv - Arraignment footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzaA0A0_tSs

Update - 10/8

This story has apparently reached Spain, Italy, and Africa. A website has also been created: WeAreBetterThanThis.com

Steven Spader was a childhood friend of my younger brother. He used to stay overnight at my house all the time. I talked with him on the school bus all through elementary school, middle school, and most of high school. Whenever I saw him around town, we'd greet each other and make small talk. I used to work at a Dunkin' Donuts and he and his mom (who was really nice) would come in all the time and stay and talk. He was a scumbag in his teen years. I never actually liked him, but we were civil with each other. I never thought he'd do anything like this, though.

Chris Gribble is the one that really shocked me. He was the picture perfect son (or so I thought). He got good grades and helped the community. He never drank or smoked. He wouldn't even curse. He came from a devout Mormon family, attending church every Sunday for his entire life, always jumping at the chance to perform bible readings or help in church activities. He worked at a Subway with his brother in the same building I work in, about a two minute walk from my house. I would always go down there hoping he was working because he was always so cool and funny. I'd order my food and just sit down there for an hour chatting with him. He had a big smile, a confident voice, and a contagious laugh. He was one of the nicest kids I've ever met.

I'm trying to imagine that big friendly face of his slitting a little girl's throat...

The scary thing is how easily this could've been anybody in this town. This is a small town; we all live in fairly isolated houses. I obviously wouldn't wish this on anybody, but thank god it didn't happen to anybody I know personally. I've already begun asking myself the questions no one should torture themselves with, like "What compelled them to drive 20 minutes to an isolated house as opposed to two minutes to my isolated house, or one of my friend's isolated houses?"

Pictures of these monsters:

Gribble:
091006ChristopherGribble_85.jpg

It's unnerving how this face I always used to be so happy to see just looks completely evil now. This is not the face I knew...

091006gribble%20knife%20%28blackborder%29%28370px%29.jpg

bilde

21215880_640X480.jpg

Spader:
n506232316_8528.jpg
bilde

The fact that Gribble nonchalantly updated his Facebook status with "had an awesome time with steve and autumn! dexter is such a funny show." only few hours after the murder makes this even more unsettling. "had an awesome time with steve and atumn"?! Any normal person would read this and think he probably went to a party or to go see a movie. It's scary to think that there are people out there who are so disturbed that they look at brutally murdering someone the same way any of us look at watching a movie or chatting on a forum: as casual Saturday night fun.

This is undoubtedly the most fucked up thing that has ever happened here. This obviously won't be nearly as shocking for any of you, but I still felt like posting it. It's a huge cliche, but now having experienced it first hand, it really is the ones you least expect...

Posting this now because I can't sleep. Anybody heard anything about this? I'm sort of curious to know how far this story has spread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Horrible... murder isn't warranted in any circumstance, but this attack appearing unprovoked and completely random is especially unsettling. It's really just disgusting.

fucking scums of the earth. its so fun to kill a sleeping mom and a defenseless little girl. i hope they grow some balls before theyre sucking on someone elses

i dont think people in jail like when u mess w/ children. i hope some gang will harass the shit out of them the rest of their time in prison. seriously fucked up.

first time hearing the story but then again i dont watch the news.

A lot people are pushing the death penalty hard on this one. There's even been talk of broadening the terms of death sentencing based solely on this case...

[quote name='crystalklear64']Mormon? ITS RELIGION'S FAULT![/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a massive shitstorm of people blaming Dexter for this, based on Gribble's Facebook status...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']A lot people are pushing the death penalty hard on this one. There's even been talk of broadening the terms of death sentencing based solely on this case...

Honestly, I'm surprised there hasn't been a massive shitstorm of people blaming Dexter for this, based on Gribble's Facebook status...[/QUOTE]

their will be. If not Dexter it will be blamed on TV and movies. Some one will come to the side of theis two and blame the media for them being fucked up.

[quote name='sendme']their will be. If not Dexter it will be blamed on TV and movies. Some one will come to the side of theis two and blame the media for them being fucked up.[/QUOTE]

Video games will also be blamed in some way.

Yeah thats ture. Hell maybe we will even hear that music is part to blame. Some one always has to blame the media for stuff like this. I think the only thing that I have never heard blamed for this type of stuff is books.

To blame anyone but them is some BS. Just cause you see something doesn't mean you need to go out and do it. Its sad anytime things like this happen cause its just crazy. I pray that the girl isn't completely messed up by this happening to her.

Honestly, in cases like this, I'd be very surprised if they didn't blame something else. Murder by itself if is a horrible, scary thing, but an illogical and random murder, involving (what appeared to be) normal people going psycho is exponentially more terrifying. People are going to ask "Why did this happen?" and here there is no answer. At least by blaming something, they have an answer they can find comfort in.

What a fucked up story. As others have said, people won't lay the blame where it belongs: with these murderers. No one wants to think that some people are just plain evil, but it really sounds like that's the case here. I'm not aware of any video games or television shows that advocate the torture and murder of a child, but someone will make a connection somehow.

Disgusting.

I guess I'll go ahead and say "In before Jack Thompson sticks his two cents into it" (Not that I'm trying to make light of the situation by any means, but you all know it's coming)

In a sincerely disgusting turn of events, a friend of mine who works at a video store around here told me last night that Spader was in the store a few days prior to the murder renting Friday the 13th.......

I don't mean to imply that this was in any way the film's fault (I believe the incident would have occurred regardless) but that's too much of a coincidence for my liking. I'm definitely not one to blame media for violent events, but I can certainly get on board with the idea that he could get a little inspiration on how to commit this crime from a film.

Thank god that bit of info hasn't been on the news. The "blame the media" fucktards would be swarming...

How did they get in?

The only reason I ask is that you said it is a small community. I live in a smaller one myself and many people I know leave their doors unlocked (for reasons I can't fathom).

Either way, sorry to hear about this. My sister's friend was murdered in high school senselessly so I can kind of relate.

I don't see it as a coincidence. Maybe the machete thing, but that's possibly a stretch.

People like to put puzzle pieces together after the fact as if all major criminal activity is planned and not spontaneous.

I'd have to have more info, but something about the nature of wanting to go into a house and kill everyone inside of it doesn't really display (to me) a large degree of planning. Premeditation? Absolutely, from a legal standpoint. But not really long-term planning at all.

It's scary how those pictures make them look so innocent. I'd never imagine kids like that could stab me with anything sharp, let alone something Jason Voorhes carries around.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']How did they get in?

The only reason I ask is that you said it is a small community. I live in a smaller one myself and many people I know leave their doors unlocked (for reasons I can't fathom).[/QUOTE]

People here leave their doors unlocked because no one really believed there was any danger in such a small town. This is the first recorded murder here in over 20 years...

[quote name='mykevermin']I don't see it as a coincidence. Maybe the machete thing, but that's possibly a stretch.

People like to put puzzle pieces together after the fact as if all major criminal activity is planned and not spontaneous.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the choice to use a machete was all I was getting at, but I suppose I'm just over thinking it, as I do totally that this is something they probably decided to do within the hour of actually doing it.

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']Yeah, people leave their doors unlocked because no one really believed there was any danger in such a small town. This is the first recorded murder here in over 20 years...
[/QUOTE]
That reminds me of Bowling for Columbine where the people Michael Moore talked to in Canada about leaving their doors unlocked felt safe even though kids occasionally stole booze and shit from them. Good thinkin'.

Regarding all this talk about leaving your door unlocked.

This idea that a door with a lock is going to stop someone who is determined to slice your throat open is an ultimate kind of foolishness. It's not that much harder to get in through a window.

In fact it never stopped the Nightstalker whose entire M.O. was breaking into houses and killing people in their sleep.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/notorious/ramirez/terror_1.html

The bottom line is that you can be killed in your sleep regardless of whether you leave your door locked or not. This is something people have to come to grips with and accept. No amount of paranoia will change that, so why bother?

[quote name='rickshankshaw']
The bottom line is that you can be killed in your sleep regardless of whether you leave your door locked or not. This is something people have to come to grips with and accept. No amount of paranoia will change that, so why bother?[/QUOTE]

Thanks... :roll:

I actually passed through Mont Vernon a few times back when I lived in MA, and it always struck me as a nice place, just goes to show these fucked up things can happen anywhere. As someone who grew up in a small town not too far over the border, I can certainly picture how something like this would rock a community.

I'm sure people will blame movies, games, and specifically Dexter, though anyone who watches that show would know it does just about the exact opposite of glorifying senseless murder.

For the record, though New Hampshire has the death penalty, they haven't executed anyone since 1939. One inmate is currently on death row (a cop killer, IIRC) but they don't even currently have an execution chamber. Wouldn't surprise me if it was pushed for in this case, though I'd imagine they'll end up taking a straight life plea. These things have a way of working themselves out behind bars, I suppose.

[quote name='rickshankshaw']Regarding all this talk about leaving your door unlocked.

This idea that a door with a lock is going to stop someone who is determined to slice your throat open is an ultimate kind of foolishness. It's not that much harder to get in through a window.

In fact it never stopped the Nightstalker whose entire M.O. was breaking into houses and killing people in their sleep.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/notorious/ramirez/terror_1.html

The bottom line is that you can be killed in your sleep regardless of whether you leave your door locked or not. This is something people have to come to grips with and accept. No amount of paranoia will change that, so why bother?[/QUOTE]

Hearing a window being broken would most likely wake you up. Someone opening an unlocked front door isn't going to get you up to react.

[quote name='wildcpac']Hearing a window being broken would most likely wake you up. Someone opening an unlocked front door isn't going to get you up to react.[/QUOTE]

I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and a broken window, unless its the one in my room, would not wake me up.

Looks like I'm going to need bars on all my windows.

[quote name='wildcpac']Hearing a window being broken would most likely wake you up. Someone opening an unlocked front door isn't going to get you up to react.[/QUOTE]

It is not hard to quietly break a window. All you would need is a hammer, some masking or duct tape and a piece of thick cardboard.

This what is like deja vu to me. I was good friends with one of the people who was murdered in that whole Deltona fiasco over the xbox. I knew 2 of the murderers also. My condolences go out to the family. It's hard losing a loved one, no matter if its a friend or family.

[quote name='Brownjohn']I'm a pretty heavy sleeper and a broken window, unless its the one in my room, would not wake me up.

Looks like I'm going to need bars on all my windows.[/QUOTE]

Nah, just a motion sensor on your stairs hooked up to a blaring alarm would suffice.

By the by, these aren't "kids." Only one of the 4 is under 18, and at 17, he is too old to be a juvenile based on NH state law, so he'll automatically get bumped up to criminal court as an adult.

Same here have a dog. So hopefully he barks... then out comes the loaded 44 mag and things turn quickly.

its a time thing, the locks give you time or sound... also I would bet that some small robbery out there was foiled by having a door or window locked and the person went to the next house... that same robbery could have turned out to be murder in a worse case scenario..

Why the hell would you not lock your doors?

Also I am sure there will be mention of the shaved heads... watch and see.

dirty mother truckers. i hope they rot in hell and get a new a$$hole torn on top of their existing arse!!! no good son of a guns. poor little girl and her mother. typical young age losers probably still living at home still with mommy who is probably defending them to the very end. you know what? shit like this makes us young people look like were incapable of our actions. (spits on the floor) this is sick!

This is absolutely horrible to hear, OP. What a bunch of fucking bastards. I really do think that in these cases the death penalty is warranted. No motive, no nothing, just a bunch of asshat kids thinking it'd be fun to kill someone. fuck them.

[quote name='hungryheepo']typical young age losers probably still living at home still with mommy who is probably defending them to the very end.[/QUOTE]

Spader's parents have all but disowned him. I don't know about the Gribbles, but they're a highly religious family. They've likely done something similar.

[quote name='Snake2715']Same here have a dog. So hopefully he barks... then out comes the loaded 44 mag and things turn quickly.

its a time thing, the locks give you time or sound... also I would bet that some small robbery out there was foiled by having a door or window locked and the person went to the next house... that same robbery could have turned out to be murder in a worse case scenario..

Why the hell would you not lock your doors?

Also I am sure there will be mention of the shaved heads... watch and see.[/QUOTE]

From what I've learned from a former cop and a self defense teacher is that bigger dogs usually growl first before barking, and I could be wrong about this, but in situations like that, the dogs are shot dead before the home invaders start making their way up to your bedroom.

Smaller dogs are better because they start yapping up a storm, alerting you in the process, and are just harder to kill overall.

If you do have a gun, barricade your door, alert the person outside that you are armed and ready to kill anyone who enters the room. If you shoot them without warning, you could be charged with manslaughter regardless because in most states you can only use equal force in return. If someone comes at you with a knife, you can't shoot them because you aren't using similar force.

Also you can't shoot anyone in your yard. This only applies inside the house.

I was just walking through our dining room where we have a bunch of framed pictures, and I noticed one with my younger brother and Spader posing for a school photo of the 8th grade theater club they joined together. I forgot that was there...

[quote name='Sofa King Kool']In a sincerely disgusting turn of events, a friend of mine who works at a video store around here told me last night that Spader was in the store a few days prior to the murder renting Friday the 13th.......

I don't mean to imply that this was in any way the film's fault (I believe the incident would have occurred regardless) [/QUOTE]If it weren't that film, it would have been another. Evil doesn't need a reason or a catalyst; but inspiration may push it a little further.

Rape in prison everyday until the "Black Momba" gives them one final "Mr. Hands" shove up the cavity causing a blood cot is what I see in their future.

Shit like this always happen. People change. You change, I change, everyone changes. Sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad. I'm a firm believer that people change. You never truly know what kind of person you or others will become day by day, year by year. Shit one of my childhood friends is now a methhead. Never in a million years would I have guessed that, but shit happens. We aren't static beings. Nothing shocks me these days.

I don't know those guys but based on the pics they don't look too friendly. Hell, the guy is posing with a knife. I don't know normal people who do that.

The facebook status update is pretty messed up and is going to bite them in the ass in court. Shit like this isn't surprising at all. People are just sick fucks, plain and simple.

[quote name='Blackout']I don't know those guys but based on the pics they don't look too friendly. Hell, the guy is posing with a knife. I don't know normal people who do that.[/QUOTE]

I don't even recognize Gribble in these pictures. I used to walk down to the store all the time during the summer where he'd greet me with a big glowing smile and an enthusiastic "Hey dude! What's up!" I usually hung out and talked with him about movies, games, etc, for an hour or so before leaving. He was great. He always seemed like that rare gem of a person who was always happy and smiling.

The kid posing with the knife in that photo looks like Chris, but the sense of friendship and pleasant surprise I once felt upon seeing it has been replaced by something sinister...

Was that knife pic recent, as in maybe the past couple of days?

[quote name='Blackout']Was that knife pic recent, as in maybe the past couple of days?[/QUOTE]

Not sure. I'm not his friend on Facebook, I wasn't even aware he had one. I don't spend too much time on FB. I found his profile yesterday but I believe his family changed it to private, so I couldn't see anything.

[quote name='Sk']Shit like this always happen. People change. You change, I change, everyone changes. Sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad. I'm a firm believer that people change. You never truly know what kind of person you or others will become day by day, year by year. Shit one of my childhood friends is now a methhead. Never in a million years would I have guessed that, but shit happens. We aren't static beings. Nothing shocks me these days.[/QUOTE]

I used to dislike broccoli, now I like it. Yes, everyone changes, but someone changing into a brutal murderer, well, not as common.

Mormon huh? This could make it interesting

Still its a terrible thing, that poor girl. It should be a swift trial, painful slow toture (i.e. the rack) and a a painful execution sounds like justice

[quote name='rickshankshaw']From what I've learned from a former cop and a self defense teacher is that bigger dogs usually growl first before barking, and I could be wrong about this, but in situations like that, the dogs are shot dead before the home invaders start making their way up to your bedroom.

Smaller dogs are better because they start yapping up a storm, alerting you in the process, and are just harder to kill overall.

If you do have a gun, barricade your door, alert the person outside that you are armed and ready to kill anyone who enters the room. If you shoot them without warning, you could be charged with manslaughter regardless because in most states you can only use equal force in return. If someone comes at you with a knife, you can't shoot them because you aren't using similar force.

Also you can't shoot anyone in your yard. This only applies inside the house.[/QUOTE]

Good info. yeah the dog is my wifes present feb of 2008. Hes all but 10 lbs. I am hoping to never have to use the gun of course, but it is there for these instances...

If someone shoots the dog I would hear it... if they have silencers, well I am probably screwed anyway.

bread's done
Back