UFC 2009: Undisputed - General Discussion and Info - Releases 5/19

[quote name='Regian']Well, I come asking for some advice. I certainly want this game, but debating if I should just use my Gamefly discount and Gamefly dollars to buy it for $40.xx, trying to get a good queue slot in Goozex or dish the cash out for the Best Buy deal tomorrow.

Any suggestions? Best option?[/QUOTE]

If you're not hurting for cash, I'd do the Best Buy deal. Just save your Gamefly discount/dollars on another game you'd like to get that's coming out. Chances are it won't have as good of a deal like the one Best Buy is offering. Also, Goozex could take a while even if you get a good spot in the queue.

[quote name='CannibalCrowley']She just needs to learn how to make weight.[/QUOTE]

Or they could try having her fight at her natural weight. If you saw Gina on American Gladiators at all, you know she's a thick girl. Whenever she finally gets around to fighting Cyborg, I'd like to see it at 145lbs.

[quote name='Regian']Well, I come asking for some advice. I certainly want this game, but debating if I should just use my Gamefly discount and Gamefly dollars to buy it for $40.xx, trying to get a good queue slot in Goozex or dish the cash out for the Best Buy deal tomorrow.

Well, it depends how into MMA you are. The Best Buy deal not only gives you $10 back (gift card), but it gives you a free $15 UFC DVD (I'd reccommend "Ultimate 2008") and a $10 off PPV coupon. That's an extra $35 value tacked on to an already great game. But like I said, it really depends how big of a fan of the sport you are.

I ordered this game from Amazon with Prime so hopefully I will get it tomorrow since I got release day shipping. Unfortunately as of right now it has only made it to Philadelphia. I can't wait to play as Crocop and face Gonzaga.

http://mmamania.com/2009/05/18/mirko-cro-cop-filipovic-returns-at-ufc-99-to-face-mustapha-al-turk/

Speaking of Crocop, if anyone hasn't heard this yet, he is coming back to the UFC at UFC 99. As a huge Crocop fan, here's to hoping that he returns to the UFC focused and healthy because a healthy Crocop is a handful for anyone. :whee:

Good luck getting it on GF, as a result my subscription is going away since I realized I hardly ever rent new games...But you should go out and buy it gamefly will make you wait a month unless they already are shipping to you.

[quote name='seen']Good luck getting it on GF, as a result my subscription is going away since I realized I hardly ever rent new games...But you should go out and buy it gamefly will make you wait a month unless they already are shipping to you.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I forgot that I had put it on my queue a while back. Got a surprise e-mail that said it got shipped out earlier today.

^Lucky, wish they would have sent it to me.

n8rockerasu, I could have bought the game today but the local mom & pop store wouldn't charge less then $60(can't forget tax). I'll have the game by Friday and am looking forward to joining some leagues(clubs).

Our midnight release almost didnt happen, the GS manager got pulled over on his way to the store and he got it open at about 11:55. There were about 10 people there though. Not 1 person got the PS3 version.

Its pretty good, but I'm not as excited as I was playing the full version as I was the demo. I'm not overly impressed with career mode. It's not deep at all. That being said, my 8th career match was against Thiago Silva. I walked up to him and kicked him in the head, KO in 4 seconds lol.

I have a feeling that I will play this up until FN4 and then trade it in.

I'm sure a lot of you are "hardcore" gamers but one thing I notice is people play a game and when its too easy they quit or bash it, the game is easy on default, I played enough of the demo to know default is simple, so I step up to expert and can rarely make it through a round, granted I didn't spend a lot of time with techniques or controls, just seeing how the game is in general, ill be grabbing a copy today after work and then get into it pretty good...but let's just repeat that if u find it easy change the difficulty

[quote name='archibishopthedoge']Its pretty good, but I'm not as excited as I was playing the full version as I was the demo. I'm not overly impressed with career mode. It's not deep at all. That being said, my 8th career match was against Thiago Silva. I walked up to him and kicked him in the head, KO in 4 seconds lol.

I have a feeling that I will play this up until FN4 and then trade it in.[/QUOTE]

I guess it depends what you're into. As good as FN4 might be, I just can't stomach boxing anymore. Too one dimensional. This game is far from perfect (the load times and somewhat clunky menu when creating your fighter drive me nuts!), but MMA is where it's at for me. Have you tried playing online yet? That aspect of the game has easily exceeded my expectations so far. My first match, I used Frank Mir, and of course, my opponent picked Brock Lesnar.

The match starts, and I learn this dude is a straight up button masher. He's just starts pummeling away any time I get close. I did a decent job of timing my shots, but with Brock's giant hands, he still got some good shots on me, one of which knocked me down. The guy tries jumping on top to continue to pound me, but I caught his arm, sunk in an armbar, and made him tap. I got the "ultimate submission" achievement in my first fight, haha.

I then played a guy who used BJ Penn who was just dominating. He kept me on the mat almost the entire fight, and ended up winning the decision. It was frustrating as hell, but basically felt as it would in real life. The game does a great job capturing the struggle on the ground. Playing skilled human opponents is a hell of a challenge. To me, that will probably be the longevity of the game.

[quote name='n8rockerasu'] There's also talk that Crocop is coming back soon, so that could be another potential matchup.[/QUOTE]

UFC 99 against Mustapha al Turk. Announced yesterday. Can't wait. I definitely need to pick this game up at some time.

Went ahead and did the BB deal today. Got the UFC 92 DVD as well. Started my career on the second highest difficulty setting and am getting my ass kicked thus far. Probably need to go back to some exhibitions and back into the flow again.

I'll post my CAF after I get out of work here tonight.

I made a guy in CAF.. went into career.. hit load fighter.. and I have to do all my skill stats again? What the hell?

Pretty decent midnight launch, about 30 guys there.

I'm finding the career to be abit of a bastard. I think its mainly due to being so accustomed to Shogun and Liddell with their maxed out skills and than having to play my CAF who just is a shitty fighter right now.

I wasn't able to go to a midnight launch, and now I have to wait till 6 Pacific/9 Eastern to pick up my game. You guys are lucky.

But I did finally go to a decision in the demo on Expert the other night. I'm 18-8 on Expert, I believe.

[quote name='Scorch']I made a guy in CAF.. went into career.. hit load fighter.. and I have to do all my skill stats again? What the hell?

Pretty decent midnight launch, about 30 guys there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, not really sure how that works, but you didn't need to create your CAF beforehand. If you just go into career and select "new fighter", everything carries over for exhibition/Live anyway.

So far, I'm 4-4-0 online. I've run into quite a few button mashers though. It sucks because while they're not hard to beat, you have to approach the fight differently. It's kinda ridiculous when guys just run in close and continuously throw high kicks. It's not much fun, but I've learned to just stay away, let them tire themselves out, take them down, and then slap a submission on 'em. Despite these retards, I've had a couple really good fights go deep into the 3rd round. I'm really enjoying playing against human opponents far more than the AI.

Well my experience has been interesting thus far, haven't played online yet but in my career I'm 11-5 with losses to Hendo, Yushin Okami, Drew McFederies, Evan Tanner and some made up guy. I'm gettin a little better but going up against Hendo I could tell my stats were just absolutly nowhere near his. I plan on getting online soon and checking it out!

One really cool thing is, at least when you're in the Xbox Live lobbies, it displays your win/loss record. I saw Nate's record displayed earlier (on my friend list; won't have the game for a couple hours) as he browsed the lobbies.

I was pretty surprised to find the game in my mailbox from Gamefly today. I've gone 6 matches in career thus far. It's fun, but I'm kind of glad I didn't buy it. I can see it getting sort of old and tired. It's a nice rental, though.

[quote name='Regian']Any lag or delay in control while playing online?[/QUOTE]

I've had a few fights with lag. My hunch is that it was the other person's connection though, because I know mine was fine and it didn't seem like that many people were online for the servers to be slammed. Even as recent as 6pm est today, I've tried finding a ranked quick match and got the "no sessions found" message. But oddly enough, when I created one myself, I was matched with somebody within 20-30 seconds. It seems like the matchmaking for this game is a little rough, but at least it works.

Also, why the hell would anyone want to talk to their opponent while they're trying to fight? It's not like other sports games where you have time for chit-chat. This game is too intense to try to have any kind of conversation. It seems like the only use is to talk shit. The last thing I want to hear is some 14 year old telling me he just beat my ass, lol.

I can't fucking believe it... I canceled my pre-order at Gamestop to get the game at best Buy, and both BB stores in my city are sold out.

Now I have to hope I can find it someplace else, and get no bonus stuff. Son of a bitch.

[quote name='CouRageouS']Anyone have a link to a good submission faq/tutorial?[/QUOTE]

Do you mean like the different types of submissions? Because that's really determined by the position that you're in. You can look at the control list by pausing the game and clicking the appropriate option. Then, just scroll through the different positions until you see ones that you can attempt submissions from. Of course, which ones you can do will depend on your fighter's background. Between that list and the submission training in the in-game tutorial, I'm not sure how much more there is to learn.

[quote name='cgarb84']I fear for the future of Affliction. They are spending an assload of money on their shows,losing money on every one (I think). They also are hurt by only putting on a few shows a year, to really step up they need to put on more shows, maybe one every 2 months or so. I hope they make it but I am a little pesimistic.

As for the game I have been cautiously optimistic since they first announced it last year. So far I'm really happy with what I've seen from it, it looks like its on the right track. I know it won't be perfect but I think us MMA fans are just desperate for any MMA game at this point.[/QUOTE]

yeah more ppvs would be nice

It would be nice if Bas and Pedro Rizzo were in it. Maybe even Gracie?
Some of the "old skool" fighters didnt make the cut huh?

ive been playing the demo alot and ive upped the difficulty. against shogun, he keeps taking me to the ground and i cant seem to get up or defend it very well.

any tips?

[quote name='scrub0bk']ive been playing the demo alot and ive upped the difficulty. against shogun, he keeps taking me to the ground and i cant seem to get up or defend it very well.

any tips?[/QUOTE]

Spin the right stick to fight the takedown, if you get taken down and if hes got the advantage you have to do a minor transition to get the advantage and then a major transition to escape/reverse. Just use the action list to find out how. Its all done with the right stick.

[quote name='n8rockerasu']Do you mean like the different types of submissions? Because that's really determined by the position that you're in. You can look at the control list by pausing the game and clicking the appropriate option. Then, just scroll through the different positions until you see ones that you can attempt submissions from. Of course, which ones you can do will depend on your fighter's background. Between that list and the submission training in the in-game tutorial, I'm not sure how much more there is to learn.[/QUOTE]
Okay, I guess I was hoping to find answers as to why sometimes it feels like the stick rotating does nothing :lol: Like maybe there was something I may have missed.

Thanks to Wet Bandit over at OS; answered my question that looks like others have too.

THQ addressed the submissions in their latest Q&A. I bolded some of the more relevant bits.

Quote: I’m so glad someone has asked this question! I’ve seen more than a few people misunderstand our submission system, so here’s the scoop.

Submissions pit two people against each other in a struggle that takes into account many factors. First, the offensive fighter’s submission skill and the type of submission being performed are considered. The higher a fighter’s Submission Offense and the more advantageous the position from which the submission is attempted, the higher the likelihood the submission will succeed. That’s why some people have noticed in our demo that Mauricio “Shogun” Rua’s triangle submission from mount is easier than other submissions, like the knee bar from guard or the kimura from half guard. Also, the method the offensive fighter uses to sink in the submission plays an important part. There are two ways to execute a submission – mashing the face buttons or rotating the right stick, a maneuver we call The Shine. In all cases, The Shine is going to be a better method to sink in a submission. Make sure you rotate that stick fast! The faster you rotate the stick, the higher your chance of success.

It’s the defensive side and how players deal with submissions that I think confuses a lot of people. Similarly to the offensive fighter, a defensive fighter has stats that influence how successful he is at getting out of submissions. But in the defensive fighter’s case, they have two different stats – Strength and Submission Defense – and which state is used depends on which type of escape is performed. Brute force escapes, which are performed by rapidly mashing the face buttons, only take into account Strength. The other type of submission escape, Technical Escapes, which are also executed via The Shine, only look at a defensive fighter’s Submission Defense. As a defender, your best bet is to know which of these two stats is higher and to utilize the escape suited to that higher stat.

There is another extremely important factor in the success rate of a submission, and that is the defender’s energy level. I have seen many people incorrectly assert that the best way to execute a submission is to weaken your opponent by beating him up. This is simply not true! Energy is not lowered by hurting your opponent; stamina is the answer. Energy is only depleted when your opponent performs actions; running, striking, transitions, etc. all temporarily lower energy levels, and the lower your opponent’s energy level, the more vulnerable he is to submissions. We didn’t want fighters coming out and submitting people instantly, simply because they have a higher Submission Offense. We feel this would be very frustrating for players (and yes, there are fighters in the game with higher Submission Offense than Shogun and lower Submission Defense than Chuck Liddell, so there will be matchups where submissions are a bit easier than others). For example, Brock Lesnar has extremely high Strength and Standing Striking Offense, but even he can’t just one-punch KO everyone in the game at will. It just wouldn’t be fun, and we just don’t think it’d be fun with submissions, either.

My suggestion would be for submission fighters to pay close attention to what actions their opponents are performing to see when a submission opportunity presents itself. If you land a takedown and your opponent immediately starts spamming transition attempts or has just delivered a flurry of strikes and left himself gassed, this means he’s using up a lot of energy and thus will be vulnerable to a submission. However, if the opponent is playing a calmer strategy and is perhaps only attempting to protect himself while throwing carefully timed strikes, submitting isn’t going to be a very viable option.

Hope this helps!

[quote name='seen']Thanks to Wet Bandit over at OS; answered my question that looks like others have too.

THQ addressed the submissions in their latest Q&A. I bolded some of the more relevant bits.

Quote: I’m so glad someone has asked this question! I’ve seen more than a few people misunderstand our submission system, so here’s the scoop.

Submissions pit two people against each other in a struggle that takes into account many factors. First, the offensive fighter’s submission skill and the type of submission being performed are considered. The higher a fighter’s Submission Offense and the more advantageous the position from which the submission is attempted, the higher the likelihood the submission will succeed. That’s why some people have noticed in our demo that Mauricio “Shogun” Rua’s triangle submission from mount is easier than other submissions, like the knee bar from guard or the kimura from half guard. Also, the method the offensive fighter uses to sink in the submission plays an important part. There are two ways to execute a submission – mashing the face buttons or rotating the right stick, a maneuver we call The Shine. In all cases, The Shine is going to be a better method to sink in a submission. Make sure you rotate that stick fast! The faster you rotate the stick, the higher your chance of success.

It’s the defensive side and how players deal with submissions that I think confuses a lot of people. Similarly to the offensive fighter, a defensive fighter has stats that influence how successful he is at getting out of submissions. But in the defensive fighter’s case, they have two different stats – Strength and Submission Defense – and which state is used depends on which type of escape is performed. Brute force escapes, which are performed by rapidly mashing the face buttons, only take into account Strength. The other type of submission escape, Technical Escapes, which are also executed via The Shine, only look at a defensive fighter’s Submission Defense. As a defender, your best bet is to know which of these two stats is higher and to utilize the escape suited to that higher stat.

There is another extremely important factor in the success rate of a submission, and that is the defender’s energy level. I have seen many people incorrectly assert that the best way to execute a submission is to weaken your opponent by beating him up. This is simply not true! Energy is not lowered by hurting your opponent; stamina is the answer. Energy is only depleted when your opponent performs actions; running, striking, transitions, etc. all temporarily lower energy levels, and the lower your opponent’s energy level, the more vulnerable he is to submissions. We didn’t want fighters coming out and submitting people instantly, simply because they have a higher Submission Offense. We feel this would be very frustrating for players (and yes, there are fighters in the game with higher Submission Offense than Shogun and lower Submission Defense than Chuck Liddell, so there will be matchups where submissions are a bit easier than others). For example, Brock Lesnar has extremely high Strength and Standing Striking Offense, but even he can’t just one-punch KO everyone in the game at will. It just wouldn’t be fun, and we just don’t think it’d be fun with submissions, either.

My suggestion would be for submission fighters to pay close attention to what actions their opponents are performing to see when a submission opportunity presents itself. If you land a takedown and your opponent immediately starts spamming transition attempts or has just delivered a flurry of strikes and left himself gassed, this means he’s using up a lot of energy and thus will be vulnerable to a submission. However, if the opponent is playing a calmer strategy and is perhaps only attempting to protect himself while throwing carefully timed strikes, submitting isn’t going to be a very viable option.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE]

Thanks for the post bro I will be using these tips definitely.

This game makes me wanna talk actual UFC.

UFC 98

Main card

Hughes vs. Serra
Evans vs. Machida
Sherk vs. Edgar

Those 3 fights make this a must-watch for me. It's a big test of Edgar and a real chin-check for Sherk. The Matt Battle (yeah I know the joke) is fairly personal and when I met Serra he definitely gave me the impression he is looking forward to this. Two undefeated light heavies with two totally different styles facing down. This fight has the potential to be amazing, but also risks being boring due to the evasive styles both have displayed before. Hopefully we're get a real war out of these two.

What really sucks is the 5 injuries that changed this card:

Lyoto in for Rampage
Larson in for Koschek
Foupa in for Irvin
Sonnen in for Okami (this one really sucks. okami needs a big fight on the main card so badly.)
Krystof in for Gusmao

I think Evans has a chance of being the first one to defeat Machida. I don't think Machida is going to knock Evans out and not sure if his dart in-dart out-counter strike fighhting will work for five rounds.

Sherk was doing well before his recent mess, I'm hoping he is able to get back on track.

It's hard to say if Machida can knock him out because Rashad has an amazing chin. The guy does have a tendency to get rocked and then do something ridiculous (Rashad Dance, groin grab, etc...) and I feel Machida is the kind of guy that will head kick you for that. So he'd best be careful.

If Machida is gonna win this it's going to be Sokujou style with a trip takedown into some sort of submission.

Curious what people are getting for sparring points? I can't seem to get over 50 and thats with winning with GnP. Whats the highest you can get ?

Haha, that's awesome. On the subject of illegal strikes, I played Gary in 5-6 matches tonight. He won the last one by kicking me in the back of the head. Motherfucker rabbit kicked me. Thus, his new nickname is "Thumper".

My friends list is sorely lacking people playing this. Feel free to add me guys. I'm going to go back the last couple pages and randomly add some of you too.

[quote name='Matt Young']Haha, that's awesome. On the subject of illegal strikes, I played Gary in 5-6 matches tonight. He won the last one by kicking me in the back of the head. Motherfucker rabbit kicked me. Thus, his new nickname is "Thumper".[/QUOTE]

You forgot the best fight of all, the Lesnar/Russell fight. The first one sucked cause you one punched me with my Crappy CAF. Then I found my good one which is rated at 70 and man, I slammed his ass every chance I got. What is the button press to do the shooting star press though? :p

How far are you guys in your careers? I ask because Gary was like 24-8 earlier. I just went to 10-0 with a 28 second KO at UFC 117 (December 2010) over Dan Henderson to become UFC Middleweight Champion. Still, I'm only rated 40 overall.

I'm trying to get through this ASAP so I can have a skilled fighter for the multiple leagues I'm in.

EDIT: I forgot- I earned my first Fight of the Night award for that 28 second KO, LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Matt Young']How far are you guys in your careers? I ask because Gary was like 24-8 earlier. I just went to 10-0 with a 28 second KO at UFC 117 (December 2010) over Dan Henderson to become UFC Middleweight Champion. Still, I'm only rated 40 overall.

I'm trying to get through this ASAP so I can have a skilled fighter for the multiple leagues I'm in.[/QUOTE]

I kept fighting lower level guys as well cause I Wanted my wrestling up there. Thus that many matches. I just didn't go after the next guy on the list.

I'm on the fence on this one. Played the demo a couple times and really liked the fighting mechanics and I like what is being said about the career mode. My main concern is that I suck at fighting games like SFIV and Mortal Kombat. and by suck..I mean I'm really awful. I was quite decent at Fight Night Round 3 (in the sense that I got through career mode) I'm afraid all the detailed moves and intrect controls would be too overwhelming.

My q.. is there a difficulty setting for this game..and can you adjust this anytime during the career mode? Does one have to be familiar with UFC inorder to build a proper fighter that can advance through the career mode?

I'm hoping Blockbuster carries this soon so that I can give in a decent number of hours before I purchase this game.

You can change difficulty any time during career mode (except mid-match). I suck at Street Fighter, but I'm not bad at this. The controls aren't really that complicated. The ground game is tough and complex, but once you've gone through the tutorial and gotten some hours in, it's second nature.

Enjoyed the demo but didn't really play it alot besides the first couple times I touched it. Received it today from gamefly and played 3 exhibition rounds before going online and mother fucker I hate this game. lol i'm like 1-15 and i'm backing out from playing real high level guys since level 10 guys are destroying me. I was destroying a guy standing up, knocked him down and was pounding him then he caught my arm spun me and I tapped.... Glad I rented it I play to many games to master all the advanced tricks to compete here. It's retarded you can't play as the same two guys against each other let's at least have a fair fight player wise.

To even be decent at the game, you have to go through the tutorial. Otherwise once it hits the ground you'll probably lose since you won't know how to do transitions or anything on the ground.

I got mixed feelings about the game, mostly the ground game and submissions, and flash KOs; which happen way too often. I don't know how much longevity the game will have for me once I go through the career mode a couple of times. I don't really plan on playing online since it's been very laggy for me on the PS3 which makes it impossible to play. I kinda wish I rented it instead and saved the money for buying an actual PPV or something.

bread's done
Back