Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception coming 2011

Oh yeah, and don't stick around for the game credits. Nothing there.

Am I the only one who sits there after beating games hoping there is a hint at what's coming next in sequels? lol. At least toss us a joke or something! :)

According to a post by Arne on NeoGAF, they're having a gamer in the Santa Monica area go down to their studio to show the devs what the issue(s) is/are.

Really, Naughty Dog? You can't play your own game and see there's a problem? I'm kinda losing a little respect for them...

But, if it gets a patch put into place, I guess I'm all for it. I do hope whoever it is that goes to the studio posts an update of how things went.

[quote name='Vinny']Well, there's no direct answer from ND but their last two series have only been 3 games, Crash and Jak & Daxter. Sure there were other games in the series but not part of the main story. I'm not saying there wo't be other Uncharted games, but there's a good chance there won't be any more games as part of the main series.[/QUOTE]
I'll be honest and say that I never played Crash or Jaks - but the impression I get from them is that they were tired of making those games or that they were excited to move onto something more involved. They are constantly talking about how much of a challenge Uncharted games are, and they get infinite praise for them. It wouldn't surprise me if they held on to it.

That said- after Golden Abyss comes out, if it's successful they may release the reigns.

[quote name='Rig']According to a post by Arne on NeoGAF, they're having a gamer in the Santa Monica area go down to their studio to show the devs what the issue(s) is/are.

Really, Naughty Dog? You can't play your own game and see there's a problem? I'm kinda losing a little respect for them...

But, if it gets a patch put into place, I guess I'm all for it. I do hope whoever it is that goes to the studio posts an update of how things went.[/QUOTE]

They've been playing/testing it for the past 2 years and have likely been used to the issue from the start. They probably won't see it like we do. Either way, this seems really odd... they're just having some random gamer come in and show them?

Just finished the game. 8 hours long. Story and characters were great. Looks better than anything I've ever seen on a console. The gameplay, however, leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, did they ever explain
why the bad dude is seemingly invulnerable?

[quote name='Rig']According to a post by Arne on NeoGAF, they're having a gamer in the Santa Monica area go down to their studio to show the devs what the issue(s) is/are.

But, if it gets a patch put into place, I guess I'm all for it. I do hope whoever it is that goes to the studio posts an update of how things went.[/QUOTE]

have you ever played against the nd devs they suck so its not surprising theyd need someone outside to show them the issues.

I'm done with this game, and I don't mean I've beaten it. This is pretty rare for me, and it's not a good sign.

The gunplay SUCKS TERRIBLY and I just can't enjoy myself with it anymore. Not to mention the way enemies charge at you and don't take damage (they're not, especially if I can put 3 bullets in their skull and not even flinch). Story, Graphics, Music, all great. Gameplay...fucking atrocious.

[quote name='Vinny']They've been playing/testing it for the past 2 years and have likely been used to the issue from the start. They probably won't see it like we do. Either way, this seems really odd... they're just having some random gamer come in and show them?[/QUOTE]

That's what it sounds like, yeah. I sincerely hope the person they got was literate and was able to show them the issue. Hopefully they didn't get jaded just from going in the studio. :/

[quote name='lokizz']have you ever played against the nd devs they suck so its not surprising theyd need someone outside to show them the issues.[/QUOTE]

Heh, nope, never played any of them.

[quote name='KingBroly']I'm done with this game, and I don't mean I've beaten it. This is pretty rare for me, and it's not a good sign.

The gunplay SUCKS TERRIBLY and I just can't enjoy myself with it anymore. Not to mention the way enemies charge at you and don't take damage (they're not, especially if I can put 3 bullets in their skull and not even flinch). Story, Graphics, Music, all great. Gameplay...fucking atrocious.[/QUOTE]
Herm.. I've actually been impressed with how well headshots work on Hard and Crushing. Granted- the controls are a bit unresponsive, I turned up the sensativity and have taken to doing more hand-to-hand, and shooting explosive tanks It's actually making the game more fun. I'd say that change in style is more a personal preference and the direction ND was sending the players (based on the opening chapter)- and not a result of the aiming problems.

It probably helps that the last shooter I played was Gears- and that game is extremely stiff, so even if U3 is unresponsive, it still felt better.

Anyway- haven't seen anyone mention the 3D yet. I did my hard playthrough regular, but I'm on chapter 8 or 9 on crushing in 3D and it looks really good. I was surprised to see how nice it looked after Resistance looked pretty crummy.

The only problem i have with all 3D shooters is that the crosshair disappears because of the depth and you can't see where you are aiming.

Up to Chapter 9 now and boy has the gameplay got worse.
- The intro of grenades now just gets frustrating whether it is the fact that whenever I try to grab it and throw it back I normally grab either a different gun on the ground or maybe an different explosive device around me. The same can be said of the cover system at times.
- The rushing of guys is just so bad. Don't they have brains? I love such joys like when in Chapter 8
where I try to hold up in a spot I had to climb to with no ladders up yet guys still somehow super mario jump the wall and still come from every side.
Just wow.

Today I came across two issues/glitches...
1) Huge framerate drops in sections of Chapter 7 and 8.
2) A glitch were my G-Mal disappeared and I could shoot it (i.e. did the motions with nothing in hand). The bullets went down yet nobody could get hit. I ended up having to kill myself to undo it.

For a game of this level, issues like this are unacceptable, especially since 1 and 2 outplay 3 by MILES. Did any of these reviewers actually play this game? No matter how good the story finishes there is no way I give this game above an 8 at best. Based on today, either 6-7 on 10 point scale.

[quote name='nbballard']Herm.. I've actually been impressed with how well headshots work on Hard and Crushing. Granted- the controls are a bit unresponsive, I turned up the sensativity and have taken to doing more hand-to-hand, and shooting explosive tanks It's actually making the game more fun. I'd say that change in style is more a personal preference and the direction ND was sending the players (based on the opening chapter)- and not a result of the aiming problems.

It probably helps that the last shooter I played was Gears- and that game is extremely stiff, so even if U3 is unresponsive, it still felt better.

Anyway- haven't seen anyone mention the 3D yet. I did my hard playthrough regular, but I'm on chapter 8 or 9 on crushing in 3D and it looks really good. I was surprised to see how nice it looked after Resistance looked pretty crummy.

The only problem i have with all 3D shooters is that the crosshair disappears because of the depth and you can't see where you are aiming.[/QUOTE]

Gears of War isn't really stiff, and it certainly doesn't have 2 degrees of aiming down the sights that greatly vary. Your aiming is constant and doesn't get slower when you hover your reticle over an enemy.

And I'm going to return this game to Redbox. Just a guess on what happens in the end:
Sully dies/makes some kind of heroic sacrifice for Drake to show everyone he's not just out for #1.
If I'm right, PM me, because I really don't care at this point. Otherwise, don't.

[quote name='lordopus99']Up to Chapter 9 now and boy has the gameplay got worse.
- The intro of grenades now just gets frustrating whether it is the fact that whenever I try to grab it and throw it back I normally grab either a different gun on the ground or maybe an different explosive device around me. The same can be said of the cover system at times.
- The rushing of guys is just so bad. Don't they have brains? I love such joys like when in Chapter 8
where I try to hold up in a spot I had to climb to with no ladders up yet guys still somehow super mario jump the wall and still come from every side.
Just wow.

Today I came across two issues/glitches...
1) Huge framerate drops in sections of Chapter 7 and 8.
2) A glitch were my G-Mal disappeared and I could shoot it (i.e. did the motions with nothing in hand). The bullets went down yet nobody could get hit. I ended up having to kill myself to undo it.

For a game of this level, issues like this are unacceptable, especially since 1 and 2 outplay 3 by MILES. Did any of these reviewers actually play this game? No matter how good the story finishes there is no way I give this game above an 8 at best. Based on today, either 6-7 on 10 point scale.[/QUOTE]

Main issue I'm having with the grenade throwback is the fact that he just chucks it wherever he damn well pleases (including sometimes into the damn wall next to you, so it drops about 6 inches from your feet). I thought throwback meant throw BACK, not throw in any random direction.

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']Main issue I'm having with the grenade throwback is the fact that he just chucks it wherever he damn well pleases (including sometimes into the damn wall next to you, so it drops about 6 inches from your feet). I thought throwback meant throw BACK, not throw in any random direction.[/QUOTE]

Not exactly, the direction and distance he throws is depends on the angle of the camera when you hit triangle (assuming you hit it in the throwback range). Basically in most cases you wanna have the camera horizontally centered on the target but vertical position depends on how far away the target is (the farther the target, the higher you need to go but don't bother trying hit targets very far away, the grenade will explode mid-air). Of course, this depends on how far the target is but once you get the hang of it, it's fucking awesome to do. If you want to get a feel for it, as soon as you see an enemy ready to chuck a grenade, just turn the camera to Nate's left or right and you'll see how he throws it.

Additionally, where the throwback range (white range) falls depends on how far the enemy threw it from. If it was thrown from close by, it'll be near the beginning versus if it was throw from afar, it'll be near the end (i.e., since it's been active longer, it'll be close to exploding).

The throwback thing was actually very well done and is a lot better than I expected it to be.

^yea- throwback works like the run and gun and he throws it towards the center of the camera. it works alright- mostly it's just a tool i use to get them the hell away from me.

[quote name='nbballard']^yea- throwback works like the run and gun and he throws it towards the center of the camera. it works alright- mostly it's just a tool i use to get them the hell away from me.[/QUOTE]

I was failing hard at throwing back grenades until I realized this. At first I figured Drake would just automatically throw it away safely...lol.

Sorry to hear that some of you guys are giving up. It never crossed my mind but then again I played Shellshock 2...twice. :D

Just finished it; took me around 8 and a half hours on normal. What an amazing game; you know you're playing something really special when you can just sit and stare at an ocean wave or look at the sand on the ground. The game takes a little while to get going but when it does it's awesome. I can tell getting the platinum on this is going to be a tuff one though...

After reading everyones posts about the aiming, I personally thought it wasn't so bad. Then I jumped into a Co-op game and WOW. Massive difference. They've gotta be planning a patch soon. Crushing is going to be a massive pain in the ass with the aiming the way it is.

Does anyone have any DLC they want to trade?

I have:
Red Shirt Drake (Baseball Shirt Drake) Skin
PAX East 2011 Hero T-Shirt
AMC Cinema Event Villain T-Shirt
G-MAL Clip Size Mod Unlock

So I'm playing it on Crushing now and made it to Chapter 10 by playing here and there today (as time permits). I'm definitely not dying as much as I thought I would be (except when needed to farm for trophies).

Still, I am not looking forward to some of the later fights, especially in the water levels and the final stage.

[quote name='Vinny']So I'm playing it on Crushing now and made it to Chapter 10 by playing here and there today (as time permits). I'm definitely not dying as much as I thought I would be (except when needed to farm for trophies).

Still, I am not looking forward to some of the later fights, especially in the water levels and the final stage.[/QUOTE]
supposedly you can bypass that entire area ala super mario 3 swim under everything strategy. Kind of a shame- that was probably my favorite gunplay part of the game.

Really, Naughty Dog? You can't play your own game and see there's a problem? I'm kinda losing a little respect for them...[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Vinny']They've been playing/testing it for the past 2 years and have likely been used to the issue from the start. They probably won't see it like we do. Either way, this seems really odd... they're just having some random gamer come in and show them?[/QUOTE]
Dumb. This is not why they had people go down to the studio. They already had some potential fixes in place, and the people they invited were trying them out.

Despite my issues so far with the story (on Chapter 11) and gameplay, I have to admit, the puzzles are better than UC2. I really enjoyed the
mural
, it was pretty cool.

[quote name='JMEPO']Just finished it; took me around 8 and a half hours on normal. What an amazing game; you know you're playing something really special when you can just sit and stare at an ocean wave or look at the sand on the ground. The game takes a little while to get going but when it does it's awesome. I can tell getting the platinum on this is going to be a tuff one though...[/QUOTE]

I just started it and I have to say its the best looking 3D game I've played so far.

Edit: I'm up to France now and this is definitely going to be my go to game for showing off 3D. Not many games with this much detail use 1080p in 3D, usually they display in 720p.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']So I'm playing it on Crushing now and made it to Chapter 10 by playing here and there today (as time permits). I'm definitely not dying as much as I thought I would be (except when needed to farm for trophies).

Still, I am not looking forward to some of the later fights, especially in the water levels and the final stage.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm on chapter 9 on Crushing right now and I'm surprised that it's not harder. It felt like I died a lot more in UC2 when playing that on Crushing. But maybe that's just because I haven't gotten into the more difficult fights in this game yet. Like you said, the later fights will probably be a pain.

I'm really surprised that so many people complained about the difficulty/cheapness while playing the game on normal. Was it really that hard for some people? I thought the game was almost too easy and I'm no expert player by any means. Sure, it was a little annoying having to retry certain portions of the game a handful of times (hello, cruise ship) but it never took that long to get past and once you figured out a good plan to attack them, it was pretty simple.

I also didn't have issues with the aiming but I can understand why some people would. I noticed it right away during one of the first gunfights but I just played through it and it stopped bothering me after about five minutes. I didn't even really think about it again after that. But maybe it's my play style that kept it from bugging me since I tend to just sit in cover and wait for an enemy to peek his head out. The aim speed doesn't really matter as much if you're normally fixated on a small area.

whoever mentioned renting it at redbox thanks for the info i went ahead and got it there gonna beat it today and return it. so far im not full on impressed but im glad i played arkham city before this makes the mele very easy to deal with.

yeah im not seeing a perfect 10 with this game at all hell i honestly think its worse than u2 so far and im up to chapter 10. its hard to stay in cover , your allies dont do shit when it comes to killing enemies its crazy to have them right next to you or near you and an enemy will run right past them to get you and your teammates will stand there and do nothing.

i also see what people meant about the enemies rushing you enemies seemed smarter in u2 where in u3 theyre just cheap.how the hell is a guy holding a shield and shooting more accurate than an ememy with a gmal ? the shield guys are more of a nuisance to me than the armor guys at this point.

im also confused by the changes they made in mp that dont show up in sp like the way the dragon sniper works or the lack of sprinting in sp.

so far the story is meh and i have a prediction that
elena is dating the bald guy theyre teamed up with or possibly sully or shes working with the old bitch.

i knew u3 wouldnt be the best but fuck theres alot of issues in this thing and the speed with which you aim is shit even tweaking the sensitivity doesnt do much if anything.

Finished up the game. Loved it the whole way through, especially the variety of the things you're doing that makes U3 more of an action game than the others were. The aiming issues became less of a problem the more I played the game.

My major issues are the lack of medals and unlockables that provides bonus content beyond the trophies. Uncharted was one of the first games for me that showed that trophies/achievements don't have to be a part of the game that is completely separate from the experience. There's also the lack of the ability to switch shoulders when aiming that was also oddly not included.

Edit: Looking through the options, shoulder swapping is there but it's not on by default? Why would that not be on?

Edit 2: I'm glad that you can redeem the online pass in-game, as Resistance and Ratchet both forced you to quit back to the XMB to do that if you didn't think to do that before starting up either game.

I love the MP in Uncharted 3 and it keeps me wanting to back and play. I loved the single player and plan on getting a platinum on this game

Just finished it up today. I enjoyed the whole game, and was thoroughly entertained the whole way through. I didn't think it was any better(or worse) than U2, though the graphics seemed even better. Which would now make this game, IMO, the best-looking game on the market. Never had any issues with aiming, in fact I was over half way through before I found out anyone was having problems. I also had just played through most of U2 again leading up to the release of U3, so you'd think if there really was a glaring error that I would have noticed it from the get-go.

I'd give this game a solid 9.5, which is the same score I would have given to U2. It's GotY material, but I have a feeling that Batman will end up taking most of the honors. Either way, I view U3 as a success for the guys(& gals) over at ND and I'm excited to see what they come up with next, whether it's continuing forward in this world or something entirely different.

EDIT:

Didn't notice anything overly hard(I played on normal) that seemed cheap until the last chapters, and part of that was me not strategizing well. :roll:

Finished it last night, thought is was great but far from perfect. I think UC2 is the better game overall. I'd give it a solid 9. UC2 remains my favorite in the series though.

Edit:

Also wished we would have got more backstory on what happened between Drake and Elena. I think it's safe to say they were married at some point because of the rings but it would have been nice to have more info.

Finished it today and that thought it was awesome. Not as grand as UC2 but still one of the best games of the year. The shooting had problems but I didn't think they were that terrible. The one thing I hated was that the controls weren't as responsive as they should have been. Many times I try to turn a corner or try to dive into cover and Nate would grab a ledge or completely roll over the cover. Besides these minor flaws this is still one of the best cinematic games on the market.

finish the game today didn't like the story in this one
for me this the worst of the three best2.1.3

Gamer4life88 i think they ran out of time and cut alot of stuff out there is a lot of parts that need more info or saving it for dlc or for uncharted 4

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
Edit: Looking through the options, shoulder swapping is there but it's not on by default? Why would that not be on?[/QUOTE]

That's one thing I simply didn't get... it seems like they should have at least asked you when you start a new game if you want it enabled or not. I didn't know about it until much later in the game, like chapter 15. Before then, I thought they had removed the feature.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']Finished it last night, thought is was great but far from perfect. I think UC2 is the better game overall. I'd give it a solid 9. UC2 remains my favorite in the series though.

Edit:

Also wished we would have got more backstory on what happened between Drake and Elena. I think it's safe to say they were married at some point because of the rings but it would have been nice to have more info.
[/QUOTE]
From the way it's implied with the way they "talk" about it, it seems like they were married, but it kind of ended when Nate couldn't commit to her due to his obsession with Drake's ring and all of the stuff that came with it. That's why she still has the ring on her finger as a sign of still wanting to get back together, but Nate doesn't until he's able to let Drake's ring go and focus on what was really important to him. Then Sully gives him the ring, which he recovered after Nate got rid of it during their fallout.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']
From the way it's implied with the way they "talk" about it, it seems like they were married, but it kind of ended when Nate couldn't commit to her due to his obsession with Drake's ring and all of the stuff that came with it. That's why she still has the ring on her finger as a sign of still wanting to get back together, but Nate doesn't until he's able to let Drake's ring go and focus on what was really important to him. Then Sully gives him the ring, which he recovered after Nate got rid of it during their fallout.
[/QUOTE]

Yea, that's what i got from it also. Seems like Drake didn't want to leave all his fortune hunting ways behind and that's what caused the rift. Another thing, anyone disappointed in the lack of a "boss battle"? I surely thought Marlowe would be one. I remember thinking what it would be like when she was first introduced as the main villain...but she kinda just dies. The only one we kinda get is the Talbot fight scene at the end.

Patch incoming this week for the shooting. Once patched, it'll be a toggle so those who need it can use it and those who aren't having issues can keep it as is.

[quote name='Gamer4life88']
Yea, that's what i got from it also. Seems like Drake didn't want to leave all his fortune hunting ways behind and that's what caused the rift. Another thing, anyone disappointed in the lack of a "boss battle"? I surely thought Marlowe would be one. I remember thinking what it would be like when she was first introduced as the main villain...but she kinda just dies. The only one we kinda get is the Talbot fight scene at the end.
[/QUOTE]
I don't really think the Uncharted games really need bosses in the traditional gaming sense, as their stories are grounded enough in reality that something like a boss fight doesn't really mesh well with them at all. The way they did it in 3 is pretty much right on as far as how it should be done for this series.

The closest thing they have to "bosses" are the epic moments/sequences.

I was sorely disappointed with this one I played through all of today. This one seemed like a stripped down bare bones version of U2 . No real incentive for me to replay this as all the funny cheats don't work. I thought the story was mediocore. This will probably be going to BB to put towards something better. Thank fully I only spent 30$ on it so I will get more for trading it.

man i dont get how you all are gushing over this game i finished it last night and yeah it sucks. they went from being challenging to cheap especially towards the last few chapters enemies are way too accurate and there are 2 guns in particular that they weild so well just a few shots and youre dead ( and im not talking sniper rifles or magnums) . aind dont get me started on their damn homing grenades or how useless the throwback system is . if a grenade they throw lands near or on a gun fuck it and run you wont be able to pick it up and even if you do luck out and pick it up then what ? you toss it and itll eithergo nowhere near an enemy or land near you and get you killed.

on top of that im dissappointed with the amount of recycling they did from u2 there are many instances of the same damn shit being done from that game to this i wont be specific but you cant have played this and not seen it.

the ending was lame and for all her pomp and hype wtf did that chick really do or bring to the game?

maybe i expect alot more from games and when it comes to the 3rd games in a series you should but this game was a step back in alot of ways. in expectation and delivery it was worse than god of war 3 which at least had a fun ride until the dissappointing end of the story.

my prediction was way off but the game was basicaly sosdg. i guess in a funny way i envy those of you who can play this and see greatness because i cant see what you see.

im also curious what they did to the cover system more times than not when i went to go into it id roll off to the right or left right into enemy fire and die which is funny beause in u2 i had the opposite issue especially in mp.

I really think the reason most are disappointed with the game is because it was a big step down from UC2. UC2's story was very well paced, had plenty of big moments and really kept you interested the whole way. UC3's story just felt like they had a bunch of different ideas for it and basically just slapped them all together. Plus with all the hype they were giving the desert areas, they're really not in the game that much.

i think they should have just done the story like a young indiana jones and go with that it would have worked better for me

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']I really think the reason most are disappointed with the game is because it was a big step down from UC2. UC2's story was very well paced, had plenty of big moments and really kept you interested the whole way. UC3's story just felt like they had a bunch of different ideas for it and basically just slapped them all together. Plus with all the hype they were giving the desert areas, they're really not in the game that much.[/QUOTE]

yeah the stoy was all over the damn place and many parts didnt really feel connected at all . like they had an idea of the places they wanted in the game but they couldnt bring it all together and just said fuck it lets add it and toss in some wow stuff theyll enjoy it.

i agree with you about the desert not impressive at all hell the game didnt look that great to me overall. alot of the more hyped scenes/experiences werent as amazing as i hoped theyed be. it was basically like playing a michael bay movie tons of big special effects holding up a poorly constructed story.

this game wont win goty arkham city blew it away and skyrim looks like its set to be awesome and im not sure about the new zelda but im curious.

[quote name='rpg']
i think they should have just done the story like a young indiana jones and go with that it would have worked better for me
[/QUOTE]

that could have been cool or if theyd gone
the mummy returns route he and elena have a kid who goes around with them. anything would have been better.

but if they go the young indy route how would they handle gunplay? people might get weird about having a kid using guns especially with all the shit that goes on these days.

u have a point guess mid 20's for gunfight
yeah agree this game should not get goty i have not finish batman yet but so far its 100times better then this game story wise

Wow, I can already tell this game will be short seeing as I'm two hours in and on chapter 9. I think there's way too much exposition this time and very little to slow down the pace. It's not like I'm not enjoying it, but this is a borderline interactive movie. I'm liking it much more than 2 though, because the chemistry with Sully is just perfect.

Really digging the environments again, since U2 was pretty meh. The whole point of Uncharted is to explore imaginary or off-the-map places, so it's nice to see some creativity here again. Maybe it has been a while, but I swear the graphics are a huge step up too. Just seems like everything is even more amazing looking, especially character models. Still a lot of game to go, so I'm reserving judgment on best in the series but it's definitely got my vote for better than the last game.

Also, I'm not running into any issues with aiming, so I'm guessing there's a delay with certain TVs? My only complaint is movement because I swear it's so distracting whenever you get near a wall or change direction with the amount of unnecessary animations. I get they're going for realism, but it just looks stupid and unnatural.

bread's done
Back