Uncharted 4: A Thiefs End

Just finished the single player. It was really good. Gorgeous. I think 2 still wins for me as best game in the series though. I'd probably rank them 2, 4, 1, 3. I'm not great at gun battles and there were one or two that were a little frustrating. Now just have to decide whether to play it more for now or go ahead and trade/sell it in and pick it up later. I think Mirror's Edge Catalyst is my next new game purchase unless it gets delayed again.

It's kind of a drag having to unlock all the options for custom loadouts. It feels like the game won't really get started until I do. It'll eventually get done, but right now is not a good time for the matches to feel like a chore. Overwatch is right around the corner.
Totally agree the gun unlocks are stupid and limit true variety in the game because anyone who doesn't invest a large chunk of time into the MP will all be stuck with the same loadouts. Who the hell is going to honestly run around using a pistol just to unlock more pistols when you can be busy mowing people down with ARs? The whole system needs revising or better yet, don't fix what wasn't broken. :bomb:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who the hell is going to honestly run around using a pistol just to unlock more pistols when you can be busy mowing people down with ARs? The whole system needs revising or better yet, don't fix what wasn't broken. :bomb:
I have gotten all the LPs unlocked. I really enjoyed it since I got to try different weapons I normally wouldn't have. As for pistols, I've consistently gotten 22+ kills a match when soloing with just the Para only. Its range, power, blind-fire accuracy, and fire-rate outclass a lot of primaries.

What an amazing game.  Story length was excellent!  Credits are playing right now.  So many feels during the epilogue.

Makes me want to go back to the other Uncharted games.  First though, Dark Souls 3.  What a conclusion to the story.  When Uncharted 4 was announced I had just completed 3 and thought another game would be milking it.  Naughty Dog is amazing and I trust them wholeheartedly for what's next.  Sony has a powerhouse dev for sure.

The Naughty Dog stickers go great on my kibble keeper.

As I unlock more things the multiplayer gets more fun. I don't think I would have as much of an issue with how things unlock if this was the only multiplayer game I would be focusing on for the next few months. It's actually kind of interesting. I'm just worried it will be a while before I can be fully hyped playing the game, and I want it to put it's best foot forward while it competes with Overwatch for my time.

Street Fighter V is going to get less love, and it's probably time I just stop playing raid mode in Resident Evil: Revelations 2.

I have gotten all the LPs unlocked. I really enjoyed it since I got to try different weapons I normally wouldn't have. As for pistols, I've consistently gotten 22+ kills a match when soloing with just the Para only. Its range, power, blind-fire accuracy, and fire-rate outclass a lot of primaries.
Is unlocking LPs somehow tied to using different weapons? Is there anything special I should be doing to make unlocking LP go faster? I think in the beta saving your in-match money helped.

Last night when I wasn't playing the mutliplayer I kind of missed playing it, so it is starting to hook me.

The next time I play I need to see if I can swap the melee and reload buttons. If I can't I guess I can use the PS4's remapping to change them. The visual button queues will probably screw me up for a while, but after a while the actions will become second nature.

Is unlocking LPs somehow tied to using different weapons? Is there anything special I should be doing to make unlocking LP go faster? I think in the beta saving your in-match money helped.
Each of the "categories" have 1 LP slot that have an "X" use requirement. For example: To unlock 1LP in the heavy guns category, it requires you to down 200 players with any heavy gun. Another one being side kicks, which requires you to summon any of them 200 times.

There is no shortcut to unlock LPs any faster, just have to grind it out. For side kicks, I recommend the medic since he's the cheapest to summon. Everything else would be whatever your comfortable with using.

I'm past halfway through the game.  The game is great just as I'd hoped.  The graphics look spectacular.  When you get to ride your jeep and traverse the terrain, the power of the system just really pops out to you.  It's a really nice to take in.  

I've held off on MP as I just want to finish SP first since I'll have plenty of time to play MP after I'm finished with campaign.  I notice there any save/load points of the game.  It just autosaves frequently which is nice to not have to worry about making it to a certain point before stopping yourself.

I've noticed blindfire accuracy is high with pistols after being shot while a person ran from me and downed me with two bullets. I just kinda sat there stunned for a second and realized I'm taking MP in this game too seriously because it's not a PvP game. Sucks because I'm trying to scratch that PvP itch and the imbalance in some of these games is frustrating.

The SP on the other hand has been top notch and I just made it to chapter 11. I can see a lot of ways how this can all play out, plus a ton of not so obvious stuff that is neatly tucked into the story. I hope I'm wrong about a lot of things and I can't wait to finish this one.

I finished the rest of the game last night and gave it a 9/10 for SP:

I liked how the game’s map design and levels allowed for exploration and freedom to reach a destination. It’s not RPG-esque in map size but there is a noticeable difference in the density and scale of the levels you come across. Again, the maps and views are breathtaking. Especially when you hit your destination after your plane ride. I played it on moderate and didn’t find the game to slow me down much. The difficulty should apply to the gun fights and there’s always cover to help you as long as you’re patient. I liked how they made the gameplay more realistic and less stale by having cover destructible. The game still has it’s fair shares of major set pieces which made me yell out loud from time to time. I think the boss battle was a little bit of a let down. They could have done a lot more given where the final setting takes place. I’m going to jump into MP tonight and expect this to be my main for awhile. I’ve been stuck on TLoU MP for years and desparately need to find a different MP itch to surpass TLoU. I did get to try out the beta and enjoyed the time I had with it so I have a good idea of how much I’ll enjoy the MP already.

The game did a great job in balancing the supporting cast. It was good to still be able to see Sully and Elena while making way for Sam’s inclusion. For some reason, a part of me thought Sam was going to betray Nate for leaving him at the prison and use him for own selfish reason the whole time. And even though it was kind of like that, I’m glad it didn’t go down that road. It would have been too easy. I liked how they tied up the mystery behind Drake’s last name (Morgan?) that they alluded to since Uncharted 3. Good way to tie up the loose ends about his past orphanage and his relationship with Sam.

So Rafe recruits Sam again two years before Uncharted 4 occurs. Sam betrays Rafe to basically go off with Nate. If Nate walked away from Rafe and the Avery hunt after the prison escape thinking he lost his brother the whole time, why didn’t Rafe just recruit Nate as well when he got Sam out of jail? Was it to just have a bigger share of the treasure instead? The guys were so close to each other that it only seems logical Rafe would have foreseen Sam reaching out to Nate to restart the hunt all over again.

As for the ending, I thought they were going to kill off Nate with all the hype around the conclusion but was glad they didn’t go that route. That also would have been too easy. Since I was assuming this the whole time, for a second there during the ending I thought Sam was going to take his place but glad that didn’t happen either. I’m guessing Nadine made out in time but they never really showed what happened to her and I’m curious since her guys basically cut her out. The epilogue was a perfect way to stay true to their stance on Nate’s story being over. Sam seems like the logical choice that they continue the Uncharted series with. I have a feeling Sony will push for that to continue and use another studio to keep that going for at least one more title. TLoU 2 has been confirmed already by Naughty Dog so bring it on!

I finished the rest of the game last night and gave it a 9/10 for SP:

I liked how the game’s map design and levels allowed for exploration and freedom to reach a destination. It’s not RPG-esque in map size but there is a noticeable difference in the density and scale of the levels you come across. Again, the maps and views are breathtaking. Especially when you hit your destination after your plane ride. I played it on moderate and didn’t find the game to slow me down much. The difficulty should apply to the gun fights and there’s always cover to help you as long as you’re patient. I liked how they made the gameplay more realistic and less stale by having cover destructible. The game still has it’s fair shares of major set pieces which made me yell out loud from time to time. I think the boss battle was a little bit of a let down. They could have done a lot more given where the final setting takes place. I’m going to jump into MP tonight and expect this to be my main for awhile. I’ve been stuck on TLoU MP for years and desparately need to find a different MP itch to surpass TLoU. I did get to try out the beta and enjoyed the time I had with it so I have a good idea of how much I’ll enjoy the MP already.

The game did a great job in balancing the supporting cast. It was good to still be able to see Sully and Elena while making way for Sam’s inclusion. For some reason, a part of me thought Sam was going to betray Nate for leaving him at the prison and use him for own selfish reason the whole time. And even though it was kind of like that, I’m glad it didn’t go down that road. It would have been too easy. I liked how they tied up the mystery behind Drake’s last name (Morgan?) that they alluded to since Uncharted 3. Good way to tie up the loose ends about his past orphanage and his relationship with Sam.

So Rafe recruits Sam again two years before Uncharted 4 occurs. Sam betrays Rafe to basically go off with Nate. If Nate walked away from Rafe and the Avery hunt after the prison escape thinking he lost his brother the whole time, why didn’t Rafe just recruit Nate as well when he got Sam out of jail? Was it to just have a bigger share of the treasure instead? The guys were so close to each other that it only seems logical Rafe would have foreseen Sam reaching out to Nate to restart the hunt all over again.

As for the ending, I thought they were going to kill off Nate with all the hype around the conclusion but was glad they didn’t go that route. That also would have been too easy. Since I was assuming this the whole time, for a second there during the ending I thought Sam was going to take his place but glad that didn’t happen either. I’m guessing Nadine made out in time but they never really showed what happened to her and I’m curious since her guys basically cut her out. The epilogue was a perfect way to stay true to their stance on Nate’s story being over. Sam seems like the logical choice that they continue the Uncharted series with. I have a feeling Sony will push for that to continue and use another studio to keep that going for at least one more title. TLoU 2 has been confirmed already by Naughty Dog so bring it on!
I thought Rafe was bitter that Nate walked away and found his own success. Rafe was rich and really didn't needed the treasure anymore after his inheritance. Seems he just wanted to accomplish something that Nate hasn't, so complex issues.

guess im one of the only ones that found single player to be boring.

some chapters just felt like filler to extend the play through time. i didnt really like the driving parts. the action doesnt really pick up til very late in the game.

and to top it off, no super natural element to break up the boring enemy design

some chapters just felt like filler to extend the play through time. i didnt really like the driving parts. the action doesnt really pick up til very late in the game.

I actually liked that they didn't include that. It felt way out of place in the other Uncharted games.

I feel the same way about the SP. It just bored me with the "boost me up" loading sequences until Sully's involvement, the convoy, and the late game sequences.

I've noticed blindfire accuracy is high with pistols after being shot while a person ran from me and downed me with two bullets. I just kinda sat there stunned for a second and realized I'm taking MP in this game too seriously because it's not a PvP game.
They are pretty high, especially that mini-Uzi one. For the long guns without any mods, the AK and the XCR have great blind fire accuracy too.

I feel the same way about the SP. It just bored me with the "boost me up" loading sequences until Sully's involvement, the convoy, and the late game sequences.
so much "boost me up" in the SP or the classic "mash triangle to move this heavy object" gameplay mechanic.

They are pretty high, especially that mini-Uzi one. For the long guns without any mods, the AK and the XCR have great blind fire accuracy too.
I found out I was doing it wrong last night. FAL used to be a great weapon in U2, so naturally I picked it up and proceeded to see poor results while scratching my head. Started looking at what I was being killed by constantly and it tended to be AK or XCR. Swapped to AK for the next round and did twice as good. Why? Because of blindfire and being able to go fully automatic. In fact, since the discovery I noticed NOBODY was using FAL at all because it's FAIL. Balance, how does it work?

Also I wasn't using NPC helpers because I thought they were cheap in PvP. They still are but if I wanted to get that extra LP I needed to unlock the other two NPCs and it opened my eyes just why they're so broken. The helper can be upgraded to the point that it's a pocket healer, reviving you or teammates while tossing out medpacks. Are you serious Naughty Dog? For real? It even counts ressing yourself as a TEAM REVIVE towards medals and more cash flow. They persist after death even until they're killed! WTF! Lol.

At any rate, once you figure out that spray n' pray with a pocket healer beats skill, you win. On that note, I'm having much more fun with it as a scrublord. ;)

Also I wasn't using NPC helpers because I thought they were cheap in PvP. They still are but if I wanted to get that extra LP I needed to unlock the other two NPCs and it opened my eyes just why they're so broken. The helper can be upgraded to the point that it's a pocket healer, reviving you or teammates while tossing out medpacks. Are you serious Naughty Dog? For real? It even counts ressing yourself as a TEAM REVIVE towards medals and more cash flow. They persist after death even until they're killed! WTF! Lol.

At any rate, once you figure out that spray n' pray with a pocket healer beats skill, you win. On that note, I'm having much more fun with it as a scrublord. ;)
My medic would never do anything useful besides stand in the open and die. :???: Even if I modified the medic with a revive pack, it would get close to me, throw the pack, and then go for a close revive. At least the medic recharged the team's gear.

If any side kick is broken, it has to be the brute because of its buff since the beta. One is easy to take down, but more than that..it gets hilarious. My friends and I went into every match and called in Brutes with speed increase at the same time. No matter what game mode or map we were in, those brutes dominated. We couldn't be flanked because of the brute's auto aim, they always stared at the direction enemies were coming from, and their damage was brutal. I felt sorry for the other teams. :lol:

My medic would never do anything useful besides stand in the open and die. :???: Even if I modified the medic with a revive pack, it would get close to me, throw the pack, and then go for a close revive. At least the medic recharged the team's gear.

If any side kick is broken, it has to be the brute because of its buff since the beta. One is easy to take down, but more than that..it gets hilarious. My friends and I went into every match and called in Brutes with speed increase at the same time. No matter what game mode or map we were in, those brutes dominated. We couldn't be flanked because of the brute's auto aim, they always stared at the direction enemies were coming from, and their damage was brutal. I felt sorry for the other teams. :lol:
I know what you mean, the medic can be full-blown retard sometimes; standing over my corpse retarded haha. That's why I didn't bother using him for a bit but now I've come to love his pocket healer ways, ressing me so I can get up and kill the guy that downed me is hilarious. The two brutes thing is pretty OP but I'm a brute killer just emptying a clip into them from AK. They go down fast if they're trying to catch up to their owner and ignore you. I find the medic is just a powerhouse of support and has ressed me so many times now, I love having it for just 2 LP. They really broke their MP with all this garbage haha.

sidekicks arent OP against a competent team, if youre playing 5 randoms that are just doing their own thing, sure they might seem overpowered, but not to a team that actually knows what they are doing and how to play competently.

anyone using a medic, i just toss a grenade at them before the medic can pick them up. brutes, just head shot or power weapon kill them. hunters just vault over cover to slow them down when they are chasing. snipers are sitting ducks, so they are pointless.

those dumb kickbacks in u3 were way worse then anything in u4

sidekicks arent OP against a competent team, if youre playing 5 randoms that are just doing their own thing, sure they might seem overpowered, but not to a team that actually knows what they are doing and how to play competently.
The brutes dominated on Diamond I rank where people are in full parties. But we only played five matches there so who knows.

I was wondering if I was playing the multiplayer too conservatively. In games where I felt I was doing great I would get around 10 kills and 3 deaths. The thing is I regularly see match leaders with around 20 kills. I'm kind of playing the way I play Last of Us multiplayer. This is a faster game, so I thought maybe my pace is too slow.

Today mines made a difference. A booster I want requires 100 markings via explosive damage, so I started using mines. Now I'm starting to get around 20 kills a game.

I earned Nadine's FAL gun. It has a silencer and extra starting ammo. I want to get Elena's FAL. It has a silencer and a bigger clip. It'll be great for flanking.

Once I get all the FAL hero guns I'm going to start redeeming hero gun chests (so far I've just been getting vanity chests). Since I have so much progress done with the FAL it would feel like a waste to get a FAL hero gun from a chest. I'm going to redeem hero gun chests because I would like to change up my loadouts every now and then, but I don't want to grind XP for every gun to get good modifiers for each one. So I'll just get hero guns from chests, and work with those guns that have two modifiers set.

The brutes dominated on Diamond I rank where people are in full parties. But we only played five matches there so who knows.
diamond doesnt really mean much. also full parties doesnt equal competency although it does certainly increase the chances. headshots down brutes pretty quickly.

Regardless, the "PvP" in this game is trash. I wouldn't consider it competitive at all with NPCs running around being able to down a player by themselves. Rule #1 of PvP: DON'T MIX IN PVE.

I haven't gotten as far in this as I expected... I'm on chapter 16 and from the looks of it, this is the final third of the game. I hope I can finish this weekend. 

And as awesome as the set pieces are, I still feel like 2 is better... nothing has yet to match the building scene and the train level... yet. 

I thought 2 was the best overall with it's gameplay but 4 has the best character development and story. I would rank the series 2, 4, 3, and follow by 1.

Came across this on Neogaf.  Really interesting perspective after having finished UC4 (kinda spoilerish thread so I would not venture here if you haven't finished the game yet)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221340

So Sam being the voice from the original trailer clues you in that Sam was meant to be the villain.  Troy Baker wasn't sign up for Sam yet which lead to the recasting for Troy after Amy left.  In all fairness UC3 was not going to live up to the hype after UC2 and even though Amy was criticized for it, they forget that she was also largely responsible for UC2's success being a game director.  Not saying that Amy's version would have been better, but that we'll never know now since she left for EA with speculation that she had creative differences on UC4 which led to her departure.

Just finished the game... it was awesome, although I'll say that
final boss fight sucked. Almost as bad as the one in the first game but at least that one was shorter.
Still can't figure out where I'd place this game in terms of best in the series... 2 is unquestioned as the best and 3 was unquestioned the least favorite.

Came across this on Neogaf. Really interesting perspective after having finished UC4 (kinda spoilerish thread so I would not venture here if you haven't finished the game yet)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1221340

So Sam being the voice from the original trailer clues you in that Sam was meant to be the villain. Troy Baker wasn't sign up for Sam yet which lead to the recasting for Troy after Amy left. In all fairness UC3 was not going to live up to the hype after UC2 and even though Amy was criticized for it, they forget that she was also largely responsible for UC2's success being a game director. Not saying that Amy's version would have been better, but that we'll never know now since she left for EA with speculation that she had creative differences on UC4 which led to her departure.
It kinda sucks that we'll never know what Amy wanted. I also think that
Sam as the bad guy would have been awesome. Rafe was kinda lame.

Just finished the game... it was awesome, although I'll say that
final boss fight sucked. Almost as bad as the one in the first game but at least that one was shorter.
Still can't figure out where I'd place this game in terms of best in the series... 2 is unquestioned as the best and 3 was unquestioned the least favorite.

It kinda sucks that we'll never know what Amy wanted. I also think that
Sam as the bad guy would have been awesome. Rafe was kinda lame.
Yup I agree with you about Sam would have been a better antagonist and final boss than Rafe. However, I think one thing they did good with UC4 was to really transition Nate to the 'normal' life. Sam was basically what Nate was for the last 15 years. He's still stuck in that treasure hunting addiction. Nate's moved on from that. He was only pulled back in to save his brother.

Neil and Bruce said they really wanted to focus on a more human story so it makes you wonder if Amy's vision would have been lighter on the plot like UC3 was. Although it would have been really fascinating to see what the original UC4 script called for. Laura Bailey was also supposed to be voicing somebody else apparently.

Just finished a crushing playthrough. Wasn't all *that* bad. Lack of checkpoints only occasionally really frustrating. Still enjoyed it, but stick by my original placement of liking 2 better than 4. So I still rank them 2, 4, 1, 3.

I started doing a Crushing run, but all the loading screens you see if you skip cinematics were making it unbearable. I think I'll go back to the run after a few months pass. I'll then want to experience the entire game again. Right now I'm just rushing for the trophy, and that's hurting my enjoyment.

After beating the first three games it was a year before I played them a second time.

I'm close to finishing the game; did the last patch fix that or can we still cheese it? I've enjoyed most of this game so far except for
young Nathan parts.
I'm with everyone else on rankings: 2, 4, 1, 3. U2 was just flawless and the MP was simple and fun (and free; PS+. . .)

Should have done this:

http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/5630477-post252.html

It was posted by 8bitArtist in the Ps4 thread and it worked for me. Took about 5 mins and I also unlocked the 70% accuracy trophy.
Nice, I was afraid I'd need to play it once for the speed run trophy and once for the sharpshooter trophy. This will cut out one of them, at least.

Going through Crushing now, up to chap 9 and I agree with the poster about the load times. I don't get how they take so long... might as well just watch the cut-scenes. Honestly didn't appreciate the level designs before but they def put a lot of effort into this game.

BTW, is there a way to track what conversations/notes you collected/missed? I know treasures are kept in an orderly fashion but notes are just in the journal as you collect them and I don't see any way to see what conversations you got/missed.

Random thought: in another 4-5 years (probably in the next cycle of consoles), we might see graphics of this caliber in a game like GTA. :whistle2:k

I'm close to finishing the game; did the last patch fix that or can we still cheese it? I've enjoyed most of this game so far except for
young Nathan parts.
I'm with everyone else on rankings: 2, 4, 1, 3. U2 was just flawless and the MP was simple and fun (and free; PS+. . .)
doesnt matter if the newest patch fixed it or not, just delete the game data, keep your save data and pause the patch download.

Nice, I was afraid I'd need to play it once for the speed run trophy and once for the sharpshooter trophy. This will cut out one of them, at least.

Going through Crushing now, up to chap 9 and I agree with the poster about the load times. I don't get how they take so long... might as well just watch the cut-scenes. Honestly didn't appreciate the level designs before but they def put a lot of effort into this game.

BTW, is there a way to track what conversations/notes you collected/missed? I know treasures are kept in an orderly fashion but notes are just in the journal as you collect them and I don't see any way to see what conversations you got/missed.

Random thought: in another 4-5 years (probably in the next cycle of consoles), we might see graphics of this caliber in a game like GTA. :whistle2:k
the exploit will net you speed run, 70% accuracy and crushing at once if you really wanted

the exploit will net you speed run, 70% accuracy and crushing at once if you really wanted
Really? In that case, I will probably end up doing it... I don't like taking shortcuts for trophies unless they involve cutting tedium. I figure, if I beat the game on normal and then crushing, I probably won't care too much about a third run for the speedrun/accuracy.

doesnt matter if the newest patch fixed it or not, just delete the game data, keep your save data and pause the patch download.

Word, I'll have to try that later; thanks!

I only got the speed run and 70% accuracy to worked. Where you suppose to watch all the credits to unlock the crushing trophy too?
Difficulty trophies pop after you return to the main screen so I'd have to assume yes. I'm gonna try it tonight because those are the most annoying trophies to get and an easy workaround is always welcome. :D

I only got the speed run and 70% accuracy to worked. Where you suppose to watch all the credits to unlock the crushing trophy too?
i didnt watch any of the credits, just skipped immediately. if you look at my trophy card i got the speed run and the crushing at the same time. i had the 70% accuracy from my normal play through.

I used the glitch for the speed run, but beating Crushing is something I'd want to do. I might use the glitch again for the accuracy trophy.

So to report: 1.04 did patch the exploit and I had to delete my game data. However, deleting game data wipes your encounters as they're not saved in the profile. What this meant for me is I missed out on the easy 70% accuracy trophy unless I wanted to play through the game and record them all again, which at that point I might as well just play on easy with super auto-aim for practically 100% accuracy lol. Not worth. I wasn't really trying to plat this but I'm always down to exploit. ;)

In other news, I tried out the blindfire mod and found by comparison I do better while not trying to aim and just hip-firing the entire game. I'm realizing now that the reason I had so much trouble before is because this is exactly what other players already figured out and were doing to me constantly. Aim vs blindfire at close range, blindfire wins 95% of the time. What a joke. Without any real unlockables or ranking/prestige system in place, there's no real reason to continue playing MP so it's off to DSII again.

It's too bad they didn't include MP in the U2 remaster; I'd have played the hell out of that.

Yeah, it's fast and easy to do if you just follow any youtube video. Accuracy, speedrun, and crushing can all pop at the same time after like 3 minutes of work.

bread's done
Back