Unreal Tournament 3 - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Chacrana']As for there being no hype... it's not that surprising considering how inundated the market is right now. This game is launching a month or two too late. But whatever. I'm having fun with it.[/quote]

I don't know that if is really it. I mean Sony had been trying to hype this game for the last couple of years by showing it (or videos related to it) at the conventions.

Recently they did a blog update talking about mods and encouraging people to come up with some stuff.

I think perhasps, the gaming media doesn't really know what to make of the game and are waiting for the gamers to speak up first. A bit backwards, but titles like UT are usually mainly really good PC games. What was the last GOOD PC to system port? I think maybe they are bit confused because this is a console version that might be as good (or even better from some of the opinions I've seen) then the PC version.

Add in the free, "uncontrolled" mod system on a home gaming system... Something that hasn't been done to this scale yet (you can basically create you're own games if you wanted with the engine and tools) outside of the exclusive PC market and you get more blank stares. Consoles have always been about controlling content, but Sony/Midway seem to be opeing the doors a bit. I don't think they really truely believe it is happening and like I said, they are on the fence.

I think they should be embracing it and giving Midway some props for at least attempting everything they are here.

I've posted links to interviews/videos and what not but they have been from "out of the way places". Wonder how long until the more known sites notice the title for better or worse.

Here is a huge detailed review of the PC version BTW. :D

I hope this game doesn't get lost in the shuffle... I mean, I just can't pull myself away from CoD4. I love the tactics and realism of CoD4, and its going be hard to go back to the fantasy of UT 3. I definitely want to try this game out and buy it, at least to see how far it actually pushes the PS3.

[quote name='chaarlieee']Will best buy have this tomorrow? I heard some stores might not get it until wednesday or thursday.[/quote]
Yes that could be likely, my guess it depends on where you live.

>>Hey here is PS3 version review.

Gameplay: 8.5
While it has continually been improved, the gameplay hasn’t remarkably changed over the years. Long-time fans are essentially playing the same game rebuilt with a new graphics engine. But, do not fret – the gameplay is still whole-heartedly entertaining. For PS3 fans, the large-scale combat is particularly the most intriguing part to experience online.

Graphics: 9.6
Beautiful in both motion and at a standstill, the Unreal Engine 3 provides eye-popping graphics for Unreal Tournament 3. Not having played Uncharted yet, I’d have to say this is the best game, in terms of graphics, to be released on the PS3.

Sound: 9.1
The announcer that Epic Games has provided is great to add to the intensity of the battles.

Difficulty: Medium
While the default settings are easy for the single-player campaign, the higher settings tend to be insanely hard.

Concept: 8.7
The combat is insane, but it’s basically the same game that has continuously been improved since 1998. Though, I will give props where props are due and the style is among the most unique to be released this year.

Multiplayer: 9.7
This is hands-down the best multiplayer game on the PS3 due to the ability create maps, skins and mods for the PS3 version.

Overall: 8.8
With all that said, the main reason I am captivated by UT3 is because how much it differs from shooters currently on the next-generation consoles. Too many shooters are still stuck in World War II or trying to “advance” to modern combat, while not enough are cranking up the speed and providing thrilling action to boot. If you have enjoyed the previous installments, then I have no doubt that Unreal Tournament 3 will be a fine purchase this holiday season.

Does anyone know if this will have split screen online like Halo does where me and a friend can sit down on one ps3 and both play online from it?

[quote name='Bleg']Does anyone know if this will have split screen online like Halo does where me and a friend can sit down on one ps3 and both play online from it?[/quote]
No don't think so. Split screen for offline co-op single player though I believe.

My GS didn't have it in yet.

"Lemme look and see if we have the 360 version in, because I'm sure they both came out at the same time."

:lol:

EDIT: The review in the above post confirms that it features 10-16 person online multiplayer, but says nothing about the maps being smaller.

[quote name='mykevermin']:shock: sonofabitch. My GS, 5 minutes from my house, has lotsa copies of Rock Band in the store. Perhaps I should trade some stuff in. Hmmm.[/quote]

also dont forget the 30% trade in bonus too!

not gonna pick it up till thursday lol(too busy with school)

[quote name='Furashu']also dont forget the 30% trade in bonus too!

not gonna pick it up till thursday lol(too busy with school)[/QUOTE]
Well I win because as of yesterday I'm done with school :D

[quote name='NamPaehc']They brought that back, if you mean the +30% for trades coupon? Ends on the 13th though. I had some stuff but they aren't giving me enough to part with anything even with the bonus sadly.[/quote]
Yea, that's what I was talking about. I have a bunch of junk to unload, and I'll just get w/e I can get for it there, selling them is too much of a hassle and not worth my time.

Today is actually a big round-up of crap I'm not ever gonna play/watch and I'm just gettin whatever I can for it.

[quote name='whoknows']Well I win because as of yesterday I'm done with school :D[/quote]

haha congrats, ill be done as of next tuesday i cannot wait !!

this will actually be my first UNREAL TOURNAMENT purchase, i played the 2000 on my cousins computer 2 years ago and i loved it.
my laptop's graphics card blows so im excitied to play it...
though i still have mario galaxy to play lol!

I got mine in the mail today, I love pre-orders. :D Probably wont be able to start it up til later tonight though. I got a lot of shit to do today, but yeah anyone that has it by this weekend look me up or add me via Psn so we can play. UT is always so much fun and a blast via multi player.

[quote name='CrimsonPaw']Hope you grabbed the $10 off any PS3 title copon.[/quote]
Oh man, what thread is that in?

It'll be better for this game instead of the 10% off

I just got the game, it's not bad but maybe I'm used to CoD4. But this game doesn't touch CoD4. Anyways, it's still a good game and for those wanting quick, super fast battles, I'd recommend this game.

I'm pretty close to going out and buying this today. I'm guessing the 360 wont have the KB&M and Mod support that this version has?

[quote name='seanr1221']I'm pretty close to going out and buying this today. I'm guessing the 360 wont have the KB&M and Mod support that this version has?[/quote]
Nope. 360 version is delayed as well, and seems to be the weakest version of the three.

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']Nope. 360 version is delayed as well, and seems to be the weakest version of the three.[/QUOTE]

I'll take KB&M and Mod support over Live play. I'll pick it up after I'm done watching Superbad with the 10.00 coupon :bouncy:

[quote name='seanr1221']I'll take KB&M and Mod support over Live play. I'll pick it up after I'm done watching Superbad with the 10.00 coupon :bouncy:[/quote]
Same here man, I'd rather have KB&M support along with mod support then just live play. Hopefully they find a way to make cross platform play as well. Whether it be in DLC or w/e, just would be a really nice feature to have IMO. I got mine in the mail today but have not been able to play it yet, I heard from a few friends already though that it's "Awesome". Hopefully I'll catch you online playing it this weekend, since that is when I am going to be playing it a lot. :)

[quote name='Pootie Thang']I just got the game, it's not bad but maybe I'm used to CoD4. But this game doesn't touch CoD4. Anyways, it's still a good game and for those wanting quick, super fast battles, I'd recommend this game.[/QUOTE]

I'm hooked on that CoD4. I want to see what type of mods become available for download.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']I just got the game, it's not bad but maybe I'm used to CoD4. But this game doesn't touch CoD4. Anyways, it's still a good game and for those wanting quick, super fast battles, I'd recommend this game.[/QUOTE]
That's why I'm hesitant to get it, I'm not sure I really need anything besides COD4 as far as online gaming goes.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']I just got the game, it's not bad but maybe I'm used to CoD4. But this game doesn't touch CoD4. Anyways, it's still a good game and for those wanting quick, super fast battles, I'd recommend this game.[/quote]

Well there not exactly the same type of FPS there....

[quote name='gsr']ok now folks are saying this is 720p only...no 1080i

confirm please?[/quote]

720p only.

It actually runs in 1080p as well. Just like NBA 2K8, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty 4, you have to uncheck 720p and 1080i and it will run in 1080p

[quote name='Silent Assassin120']Well there not exactly the same type of FPS there....

.[/QUOTE]

that's why I didn't feel bad about getting the game.

[quote name='Pootie Thang']It actually runs in 1080p as well. Just like NBA 2K8, Assassin's Creed, and Call of Duty 4, you have to uncheck 720p and 1080i and it will run in 1080p[/quote]

Alright I didn't know that, on the back of the game it says 720p as the only supported HD video output. So take that for what you will, but if PT says it can run in 1080p as well then I believe him. Just do what he said to do.

Here I decided to take some quick pics off of my Sony KDL-46XBR2

UT001.jpg

UT002.jpg

Picked this up a couple hours ago. I traded some stuff into EB with the 30% coupon and got it for $4 out of my own pocket.

Hopefully I'll get to play some tonight/tomorrow because after that I'll be out of the area + state for the next 3 weeks.

SilentAssassin did you ever get my friend request on PSN?

YES the game DOES play in 1080i, but it is upscaled and not rendered. I just tried it. It looked a little blurry to me so I'll be setting it back to 720p and see how it works out. Anyway, this hasn't been an issue for a long while so I hope people stop getting so nervous.

bread's done
Back