UPDATED: Dark Souls II Pre Order - OOS: Amazon, Walmart, GS, BB, NewEgg

EvilChamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
9pSm52M.png

Update 03.10.14

7:10 p.m. CT - just a few more hours until midnight release. 

FRYS.com is SOLD OUT. While you can still add to cart, you will get a notice stating the supply isn't available. Thank you Erabiont for the tip!

Midnight is upon us! I'll be at Gamestop with a bunch of Titanfall lovers, but I'll be there to pick up the real GOTY - Dark Souls 2! 

Update - 03.09.14

XBOX 360 Black Armor edition and CE on NewEgg is SOLD OUT.

You can still get the PS3 Black Armor edition on FRYS.com.  Thanks Guadian_Owl for sharing! 

Update - 03.08.14 -

PS3 Black Armor edition on Best Buy is SOLD OUT.

PS3 Black Armor edition on NewEgg is SOLD OUT.   (Thanks XeroBlade for sharing.)

PS3 Black Armor edition on Walmart is SOLD OUT. 

PS3 Black Armor edition on Amazon is SOLD OUT.

Gamestop no longer taking in store preorders for either CE or Black Armor. 

eStarland is still taking preorders for PS3 Black Armor edition. 

Also ...

PC system requirments (via Polygon). PC release date is April 25.

------> Get $10 cash back or $12 credit via Green Man Gaming when you buy DkS II for $49.99.

Update - 03.07.14 -

Big news .... Gamestop is no longer taking in store pre orders for the CE or the Black Armor nationwide. "We're sold out."

You can still get the CE online through GS website. However, Black Armor edition is not showing up. Links to retailers still taking pre orders for Black Armor edition is in yellow bellow. (Just scroll down this OP)

Meanwhile, searches on Best Buy for Black Armor or CE were showing up empty. However, the website is still showing you can preorder either online. You have to search "Dark Souls ii" and not use the number 2. Weird. Thanks to midloo for pointing this out.

Just saying .... Last time DkS came out with a LE, NamcoBro had a huge SNAFU, as many didn't get their LEs. 

Update - 03.06.14

Amazon is selling the official, hardcover strategy guide for $21. Gamestop and other places are selling it for $35. Thanks to CAG user cruzadel for sharing this. 

This just in thanks to CAG user Xellos2099. 

Namco is selling the PC CE for $109.95. It includes everything as the regular CE, but you get a digital version of the game and a t-shirt. You can pre order it here. I am not sure if they charge for shipping. There is also a section for promo codes, but I don't know of any. If you do, please share. 

Update - 03.05.14: 

Amazon is currently sold out of the PS3 Black Armored Edition. Earlier, the CE was sold out as well, but has since returned to stock (as of 03/05). While I think those geting the Black Armor through Amazon will get it no problem, I should warn some about getting the CE. 

Just look at horror from the Bravely Default CE. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

Meanwhile, BB has no in store pickup ATM. 

Because Titanfall is also coming out on March 11, GS will have a midnight release for DkS II. I spoke to an employee who said they wouldn't have done the midnight release for souls if it wasn't for Titanfall. It just so happens both come out on same day. Praise the Sun. 

Also, you can save $5 by preordering the CE through Target. The Black Armor Edition is sold out however. To get the savings, click here, then checkout. If you do Target's credit card, you can save an additional 5%. Not too shabby. Link to Target DkS II CE: 

Some reviews have come in - 

Four different reviewers from Famitsu gave it a 9, 10, 9 and 9 out of 10, or a 37/40. Impressive. The previous Dark Souls received the same score. 

Meanwhile, one German magazine, M! Game, gave Dark Souls II a 90/100 and also said it is the "hardest game in the word." M! gave the first Dark Souls an 81/100. 

The CE also comes with some in game items, actually, a lot of in game items. Not sure how I feel about this, but I guess I'll take them. 

In other news, From Software said it has no plans for DLC for the game. I'm cool with this. 

If you are looking to join a Dark Souls community to talk strategy, then you can check out this forum. I've been a part of it since original release and members really get into this game here. Everyone is really kind and helpful and some people do spreadsheets with crazy data and stuff. 

It is a medium sized community, which I like. Your questions get answered and not buried a la Gamefaqs, but to each their own. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLACES YOU CAN STiLL PRE ORDER BLACK ARMOR EDITION ( as of 03.07.14) Thanks to @lookatthat for sharing!

ps3:

http://www.estarland...duct.41844.html

http://www.overstock...tml?searchidx=0

http://www.frys.com/product/7998180?source=googleps&gclid=COGeiL7vhL0CFS1p7AodMwoAVQ (added 03.09.14)

xbox 360

http://www.estarland...duct.41845.html

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&keys=keys&st=dark+souls+ii+black+armor1&_dynSessConf=ATG22126305800&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&keys=keys&st=dark+souls+ii+360

http://www.amazon.co...ds=dark souls 2

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=dark+souls+2&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16874156044

http://www.play-asia...en-70-7g8z.html

http://www.gohasting...ts#.Uxo4BIWPNWI

http://www.overstock...19/product.html

Earlier, Sept. 23, 2013: 

What joy! It's finally here! Dark Souls II Limited Edition! 

dark_souls_2_collectors_edition_ce.jpg

It's already being dubbed "prepare to be broke" edition. Selling for $119.99. Last time, From Software gave everyone who preordered Dark Souls a free upgrade to the collector's edition, but for those of us that remember, there was one big SNAFU with that. (People didn't get their LEs, unless they preordered at Gamestop, for the most part.)

I'm dropping the big bucks on this. I don't care. This is my favorite game of this console generation. Here's what it comes with, from Joystiq:

"The Collector Edition is priced at $119.99 and includes a cloth map of the game's world, an art book and a 12" Warrior Knight figurine. It also contains the Black Armor edition of Dark Souls 2, meaning you'll have a soundtrack and metal case to go with the steeled will any Dark Souls fan undoubtedly harbors." 

Amazon is taking preorders here

Just went to my local GameStop and preordered it there. I'll be there at midnight. 

I should note, GS requires a minimum $25 to preorder the CE. 

Also, considering how From Software is notorious for messing up pre orders, and how insane the Souls community is, this might be one of those "you snooze you lose" type deals. Then again, this could be $79.99 three months after release. I did a poll on a Dark Souls forum, and pretty much everyone is getting the CE. Then again, those guys are like me. Also, I recommend PS3 version. Just my two bits. 360 version just as good, but more Souls fans play on PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I just opened my package from Best Buy, and I could already see on the top of the case it's dented and in the top left corner has some sort of bump to it.  The sealed wrap felt half-a**ed.  Feel like it's Dark Souls metalpak all over again! Can anyone suggest me what should I do now?

Well I just opened my package from Best Buy, and I could already see on the top of the case it's dented and in the top left corner has some sort of bump to it. The sealed wrap felt half-a**ed. Feel like it's Dark Souls metalpak all over again! Can anyone suggest me what should I do now?
That really sucks. I'm really sorry man.

I've had two bad experiences w/ best buy and both times managers just shrug shoulders and say, "do you want a refund?"

You're really in a bad spot - you may not be able to get the game elsewhere and you can't really be like, "I want a $25 gift card."

If you can find another CE, I'd return. If not, call customer support and hope you get a gamer on the other end.

Well I just opened my package from Best Buy, and I could already see on the top of the case it's dented and in the top left corner has some sort of bump to it. The sealed wrap felt half-a**ed. Feel like it's Dark Souls metalpak all over again! Can anyone suggest me what should I do now?
Get over it.

That really sucks. I'm really sorry man.

I've had two bad experiences w/ best buy and both times managers just shrug shoulders and say, "do you want a refund?"

You're really in a bad spot - you may not be able to get the game elsewhere and you can't really be like, "I want a $25 gift card."

If you can find another CE, I'd return. If not, call customer support and hope you get a gamer on the other end.
Yea, this is actually my first bad experience from Best Buy, I'll try calling customer support. If not, then guess I'll just keep it sealed.

My CE box is mint cond, but I am thinking of throwing it away because I plan on sleeping with my figure.
hahaha

Also, your avatar was the first NES game I ever purchased. I remember being a kid at Toys R Us and having to decide between that and the first Ninja Turtles (the first one, not the good one).

Anyway, that was a great game lol ... Hard as hell, though!

Just played 6 hours of DS II... very confused being back in the real world... time for sleep...

[quote name="jay_remedy" post="11606366" timestamp="1394689180"]Get over it.[/quote]

It's not dented or bumped. The case is just extremely textured.

On another note, I'm rather let down with the game (~18 hours in). It's still good, but so far I prefer Demon's Souls, and I prefer Dark Souls 1 by a country mile.

CE is still available for both PS3 and X360 at Namco's site for anyone who still wants the CE.
I just picked one up from Best Buy's website this morning. Not sure if these will be rare or not, but I'm willing to part with the cash for that statue. Saw one in person and it was awesome.

Saw one in person myself as well and it's alright. The details on the statue are pretty nice, but the statue itself is kind of awkward and stiff looking. Maybe that's just me.

As bad as I want this game, I think I'm going to hold off. I see this CE slowly coming down in price over the next year or so. Looks like a lot of store are receiving more stock. Looks like NewEgg and Amazon are stocking back up!

hahaha

Also, your avatar was the first NES game I ever purchased. I remember being a kid at Toys R Us and having to decide between that and the first Ninja Turtles (the first one, not the good one).

Anyway, that was a great game lol ... Hard as hell, though!
I didn't think about it until now, but maybe Billy is the reason why I love the DS games so much.

On a side note, the CE statue base is a little cheap imo.

My CE box is in okay condition but I plan on throwing it out because it's a fucking box.
You never know when you might want to dust the old thing off and play with it one more time. That is why I keep your mom's box around, even if it is torn and a little damaged.

Guys, Amazon still has the Hardcover Strategy Guide on sale for $21. Best Buy will PM. Fortunately, all the stores in my area have stock on it, so I walked in and got mine while I still could.

Best Buy also has healthy stock of the BAE's, even online. Those with GCU's can nab it for $48. The metal case is decent (has a cardboard sleeve with a raised design on the front of the metal case), comes with a plastic casing inside that holds the game disk and the soundtrack, and a voucher for a few startup weapons.

On another note, I'm rather let down with the game (~18 hours in). It's still good, but so far I prefer Demon's Souls, and I prefer Dark Souls 1 by a country mile.
Knowing how much you love the series, this saddens me. I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I guess as long as it's good I won't panic.

My Newegg PS3 Black Armor Edition shipped this morning. I ordered it two days ago and it went to backordered after I ordered, but apparently they finally got their stock.

For those playing the game, don't forget to check this thread out:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/299489-dark-souls-ii-go-beyond-death-3112014/

I just asked a question in there about jumping which I am finding nearly impossible in this game. I love everything about the game except that is just controller-throwing frustrating. This is not one of those things that is hard because you have to be patient and watch enemy patterns, etc. It is just a clunky controller thing. Fortunately, so far it only seems to be necessary to get to optional items. But it annoys me to have to pass those up.

o'yeah, i wanted to ask what platform/version/system are you guys playing dark souls II on? isn't there an online multiplayer for it too?

YBX87 said:
o'yeah, i wanted to ask what platform/version/system are you guys playing dark souls II on? isn't there an online multiplayer for it too?
I couldn't imagine playing it on anything other than PS3 - but maybe that's because I've been with the series since the PS3-only Demon's Souls.

Yes, it is always a multiplayer game unless you disconnect your Internet. You see the white phantoms of other players running around and you see messages left by others. Later (I assume since it didn't happen to me at all in the first 6 hours) you can get invaded by jackasses who try to grief you ;).

I couldn't imagine playing it on anything other than PS3 - but maybe that's because I've been with the series since the PS3-only Demon's Souls.

Yes, it is always a multiplayer game unless you disconnect your Internet. You see the white phantoms of other players running around and you see messages left by others. Later (I assume since it didn't happen to me at all in the first 6 hours) you can get invaded by jackasses who try to grief you ;).
thanks io, you must love this series, seeing as your spend 6 hours straight on it, with being a moderator on this forum, and being a parent. LOL

YBX87 said:
thanks io, you must love this series, seeing as your spend 6 hours straight on it, with being a moderator on this forum, and being a parent. LOL
There's also more to the multiplayer than I mentioned. You can also summon people to help you (with bosses or even invaders). But I think you have to be fully non-hollow to do so, which means you have to have not died at all (and I must have died 30 times in my 6 hours so far - mostly from trying those jumps) or use an item (human effigy) to return to non-hollow state.

I think you're going to get people who don't like this game - that is a given with any game. 

There are also a lot of Demon Soul hipsters, "I played the game BEFORE it was cool." We get it ... 

I spent a lot of my life on Dark Souls. Loved the game. Loved the story just the way it was. Things needed to be fixed, and a lot of those things are fixed in this game. 

I know I like it, played for hours on end, got sucked into the lore and everything. 

If you're unsure whether you'll like it, wait for the price drop. It will come. If you really enjoyed DkS, I would certainly recommend this game. 

Also, check out some reviews. 8.5-plus across the board. That says something. DToid's review came from Chris Carter, who is a pretty legit Souls fan, and he gave it a 9. 

But again, to each their own. Not everyone is going to like this game. 

I spent a lot of my life on Dark Souls. Loved the game. Loved the story just the way it was. Things needed to be fixed, and a lot of those things are fixed in this game.
Totally agree. So far, I'm loving Dark Souls 2. It doesn't feel quite as dark to me, however. The hubworld of DS2 is cheery in comparison to Dark Souls.

One improvement I was hoping for was an actual 'compare inventory' feature when buying from a merchant. Yes you are going to be finding most of your equipment in the world and you see a compare when you own the item, but it just seems like a silly design choice at this point. "Well we've always done it that way, so let's just keep doing it." I see some people online saying that it makes it more hardcore and it's just part of the experience to have to write down 40 some stat numbers from the merchant item and compare it to your own. HOGWASH. It's just bad design. That's an example of a few things in the series that drag it down for me.

Obtuse can be fun, but that's just a little too obtuse.

I have seen web-based calculators to compare inventory by name for Dark Souls. Those are dedicated fans filling a real gap in the game. I'm sure we'll see them for Dark Souls 2 as well.

There are also a lot of Demon Soul hipsters, "I played the game BEFORE it was cool." We get it ...
Haha I am the opposite! My copy of Demon's Souls has been lent out to so many people and gotten so much use.

When discussing games I naturally always bring up the Souls series as it is by far my favorite of this generation and whenver someone is not as well aware of it I am like, YOU NEED TO PLAY IT HERE, I ALSO HAVE DARK SOULS WHEN YOU ARE DONE!

Hahaha I just want to share the amazingness of the game and make sure everyone gets to experience it. Since its launch in October of 09 I have been the biggest cheerleader for the game/series ever.

That being said you were talking about pricepoints and if people should buy it as well. I highly recommend it obviously and the consistently high marks it has been receiving should only help sway you more if anything. The price drop is likely inevitable but as with everyone I have introduced the game to, they all wish they had started playing the game sooner.. so go get it! : P

I ordered on Overstock and they cancelled my order last night.  I would be upset but the gamestop near me has a bunch of ps3 black armor editions in stock so I can just pick one up on my lunch break.  

I still own my LE of Dark Souls. Even now, it's worth something to some people still. My Dark Souls 2 BAE looks nice right beside it. But these two are among many games that remind me why it's worth it to own a PS3.

Same here. Have my very first Deluxe DEmons Souls, Dark Souls CE and now DArk Souls 2 CE altogether on a shelf. Clearly this series has created a genre all it's own for me and I consider it one of the best series last gen. =)

I was really excited to get my new Black Armor Edition for PS3 that I ordered from GoHastings through Amazon on Tuesday. However, when I opened it, it was the regular edition and the plastic wrap had been removed. 

I was really excited to get my new Black Armor Edition for PS3 that I ordered from GoHastings through Amazon on Tuesday. However, when I opened it, it was the regular edition and the plastic wrap had been removed.
Same here, only mine was still sealed. Gohastings can Gofuckthemselves.

I remember getting the Asian version of Demon's Souls back in May of 09 due to people hyping it on GameFAQS. I never did finish it though so I think I might try to go back and conquer it once I'm done with Dark Souls 2. That might be a while though since DS2 has basically consumed my life since midnight on Tuesday. Friends have been bugging me to play Titanfall with them but I cannot pull myself away from DS2. Going to try to get out and go to the gym today before I start playing again because I have spent most of my vacation on my ass due to this game. :D It's going to be hard to top when GOTY comes around at least in my opinion.

I remember getting the Asian version of Demon's Souls back in May of 09 due to people hyping it on GameFAQS. I never did finish it though so I think I might try to go back and conquer it once I'm done with Dark Souls 2. That might be a while though since DS2 has basically consumed my life since midnight on Tuesday. Friends have been bugging me to play Titanfall with them but I cannot pull myself away from DS2. Going to try to get out and go to the gym today before I start playing again because I have spent most of my vacation on my ass due to this game. :D It's going to be hard to top when GOTY comes around at least in my opinion.
Major differences between Asian version and NA version?

You jelly? :p Anyway, looking forward to my JP CE arriving. :)
lol ... No, not jelly. I got in late with Demon Souls, but it was perfect timing. While I played it late, Dark Souls was just around the corner for release. Turned out to be my favorite game on either the 360/PS3/3DS. And I have a lot of games.

Major differences between Asian version and NA version?
It wasn't out yet in North America yet, Sony chose not to bring it over here even though they helped fund it and published it in Japan, Atlus had to take the initiative to do that. So the only way to play it for 7 months was to import the Asian version which had English subtitles as an option.

Not cool. GoHastings screwed me over in similar fashion for an LE edition of another game. I refuse to buy from them any more after running into a handful of issues like these.

received my black armor edition 360 version today from bestbuy.com ordered it on Wednesday and received it today I was worried the steel case might be damage during shipping or that I would end up with the vanilla version but nope the steel case in mint condition and it was the black armor edition indeed was a little worried it would be vanilla since I didn't preorder so very happy with this then

Same here, only mine was still sealed. Gohastings can Gofuckthemselves.
there a listing on amazon for both the vanilla version and black armor version so if gohastings sent you the vanilla version when you both ordered specifically the black armor version listed under the black armor listing then you should both file a amazon a-z claim against gohastings.com here the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200783750 especially to help prevent it happening to more people especially more cags

received my black armor edition 360 version today from bestbuy.com ordered it on Wednesday and received it today I was worried the steel case might be damage during shipping or that I would end up with the vanilla version but nope the steel case in mint condition and it was the black armor edition indeed was a little worried it would be vanilla since I didn't preorder so very happy with this then
I preordered my BAE for 360 back in November. Still hasn't arrived. Should've done store pickup.

Received mine from BandaiNamco (reorder, the one I got from Amazon was in pretty rough shape). This time, it came prisitne! Lol, also got scared because when I was checking the box, there was something shaking inside that was pretty heavy so I thought that a part of the statue got damaged or was loose so I had to open it. 

Found out that it was actually the T-shirt that it comes with if you buy it from Bandainamco...and everything was indeed in great condition! Couldn't have been happier, got a perfect set CE, got a bonus shirt and it even came with a 15% off coupon from bamco that I can use for Xillia CE! =)

I platinum'd the game late last year. You wouldn't believe how assuring it was. The last trophy I think I needed involved having to deal with this blue dragon fuck cker in one of the early maps. Had to work my way through a NG replay to get back to that point, and kill him in a specific way that took so effing long...but when he dropped and I got the trophy, I felt satisfaction after the crap he put me through. This game, Arkham Asylum, and FF13 were the three most satisfying platinums I ever got.

bread's done
Back