UPDATED: Dark Souls II Pre Order - OOS: Amazon, Walmart, GS, BB, NewEgg

EvilChamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
9pSm52M.png

Update 03.10.14

7:10 p.m. CT - just a few more hours until midnight release. 

FRYS.com is SOLD OUT. While you can still add to cart, you will get a notice stating the supply isn't available. Thank you Erabiont for the tip!

Midnight is upon us! I'll be at Gamestop with a bunch of Titanfall lovers, but I'll be there to pick up the real GOTY - Dark Souls 2! 

Update - 03.09.14

XBOX 360 Black Armor edition and CE on NewEgg is SOLD OUT.

You can still get the PS3 Black Armor edition on FRYS.com.  Thanks Guadian_Owl for sharing! 

Update - 03.08.14 -

PS3 Black Armor edition on Best Buy is SOLD OUT.

PS3 Black Armor edition on NewEgg is SOLD OUT.   (Thanks XeroBlade for sharing.)

PS3 Black Armor edition on Walmart is SOLD OUT. 

PS3 Black Armor edition on Amazon is SOLD OUT.

Gamestop no longer taking in store preorders for either CE or Black Armor. 

eStarland is still taking preorders for PS3 Black Armor edition. 

Also ...

PC system requirments (via Polygon). PC release date is April 25.

------> Get $10 cash back or $12 credit via Green Man Gaming when you buy DkS II for $49.99.

Update - 03.07.14 -

Big news .... Gamestop is no longer taking in store pre orders for the CE or the Black Armor nationwide. "We're sold out."

You can still get the CE online through GS website. However, Black Armor edition is not showing up. Links to retailers still taking pre orders for Black Armor edition is in yellow bellow. (Just scroll down this OP)

Meanwhile, searches on Best Buy for Black Armor or CE were showing up empty. However, the website is still showing you can preorder either online. You have to search "Dark Souls ii" and not use the number 2. Weird. Thanks to midloo for pointing this out.

Just saying .... Last time DkS came out with a LE, NamcoBro had a huge SNAFU, as many didn't get their LEs. 

Update - 03.06.14

Amazon is selling the official, hardcover strategy guide for $21. Gamestop and other places are selling it for $35. Thanks to CAG user cruzadel for sharing this. 

This just in thanks to CAG user Xellos2099. 

Namco is selling the PC CE for $109.95. It includes everything as the regular CE, but you get a digital version of the game and a t-shirt. You can pre order it here. I am not sure if they charge for shipping. There is also a section for promo codes, but I don't know of any. If you do, please share. 

Update - 03.05.14: 

Amazon is currently sold out of the PS3 Black Armored Edition. Earlier, the CE was sold out as well, but has since returned to stock (as of 03/05). While I think those geting the Black Armor through Amazon will get it no problem, I should warn some about getting the CE. 

Just look at horror from the Bravely Default CE. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

Meanwhile, BB has no in store pickup ATM. 

Because Titanfall is also coming out on March 11, GS will have a midnight release for DkS II. I spoke to an employee who said they wouldn't have done the midnight release for souls if it wasn't for Titanfall. It just so happens both come out on same day. Praise the Sun. 

Also, you can save $5 by preordering the CE through Target. The Black Armor Edition is sold out however. To get the savings, click here, then checkout. If you do Target's credit card, you can save an additional 5%. Not too shabby. Link to Target DkS II CE: 

Some reviews have come in - 

Four different reviewers from Famitsu gave it a 9, 10, 9 and 9 out of 10, or a 37/40. Impressive. The previous Dark Souls received the same score. 

Meanwhile, one German magazine, M! Game, gave Dark Souls II a 90/100 and also said it is the "hardest game in the word." M! gave the first Dark Souls an 81/100. 

The CE also comes with some in game items, actually, a lot of in game items. Not sure how I feel about this, but I guess I'll take them. 

In other news, From Software said it has no plans for DLC for the game. I'm cool with this. 

If you are looking to join a Dark Souls community to talk strategy, then you can check out this forum. I've been a part of it since original release and members really get into this game here. Everyone is really kind and helpful and some people do spreadsheets with crazy data and stuff. 

It is a medium sized community, which I like. Your questions get answered and not buried a la Gamefaqs, but to each their own. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLACES YOU CAN STiLL PRE ORDER BLACK ARMOR EDITION ( as of 03.07.14) Thanks to @lookatthat for sharing!

ps3:

http://www.estarland...duct.41844.html

http://www.overstock...tml?searchidx=0

http://www.frys.com/product/7998180?source=googleps&gclid=COGeiL7vhL0CFS1p7AodMwoAVQ (added 03.09.14)

xbox 360

http://www.estarland...duct.41845.html

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&keys=keys&st=dark+souls+ii+black+armor1&_dynSessConf=ATG22126305800&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&keys=keys&st=dark+souls+ii+360

http://www.amazon.co...ds=dark souls 2

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=dark+souls+2&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16874156044

http://www.play-asia...en-70-7g8z.html

http://www.gohasting...ts#.Uxo4BIWPNWI

http://www.overstock...19/product.html

Earlier, Sept. 23, 2013: 

What joy! It's finally here! Dark Souls II Limited Edition! 

dark_souls_2_collectors_edition_ce.jpg

It's already being dubbed "prepare to be broke" edition. Selling for $119.99. Last time, From Software gave everyone who preordered Dark Souls a free upgrade to the collector's edition, but for those of us that remember, there was one big SNAFU with that. (People didn't get their LEs, unless they preordered at Gamestop, for the most part.)

I'm dropping the big bucks on this. I don't care. This is my favorite game of this console generation. Here's what it comes with, from Joystiq:

"The Collector Edition is priced at $119.99 and includes a cloth map of the game's world, an art book and a 12" Warrior Knight figurine. It also contains the Black Armor edition of Dark Souls 2, meaning you'll have a soundtrack and metal case to go with the steeled will any Dark Souls fan undoubtedly harbors." 

Amazon is taking preorders here

Just went to my local GameStop and preordered it there. I'll be there at midnight. 

I should note, GS requires a minimum $25 to preorder the CE. 

Also, considering how From Software is notorious for messing up pre orders, and how insane the Souls community is, this might be one of those "you snooze you lose" type deals. Then again, this could be $79.99 three months after release. I did a poll on a Dark Souls forum, and pretty much everyone is getting the CE. Then again, those guys are like me. Also, I recommend PS3 version. Just my two bits. 360 version just as good, but more Souls fans play on PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
EvilChamp said:
What joy! It's finally here! Dark Souls II Limited Edition!

dark_souls_2_collectors_edition_ce.jpg

It's already being dubbed "prepare to be broke" edition. Selling for $119.99. Last time, From Software gave everyone who preordered Dark Souls a free upgrade to the collector's edition, but for those of us that remember, there was one big SNAFU with that. (People didn't get their LEs, unless they preordered at Gamestop, for the most part.)

I'm dropping the big bucks on this. I don't care. This is my favorite game of this console generation. Here's what it comes with, from Joystic:

"The Collector Edition is priced at $119.99 and includes a cloth map of the game's world, an art book and a 12" Warrior Knight figurine. It also contains the Black Armor edition of Dark Souls 2, meaning you'll have a soundtrack and metal case to go with the steeled will any Dark Souls fan undoubtedly harbors."

Amazon is taking preorders here

Just went to my local GameStop and preordered it there. I'll be there at midnight.

I should note, GS requires a minimum $25 to preorder the LE.

Also, considering how From Software is notorious for messing up pre orders, and how insane the Souls community is, this might be one of those "you snooze you lose" type deals. Then again, this could be $79.99 three months after release. I did a poll on a Dark Souls forum, and pretty much everyone is getting the LE. Then again, those guys are like me. Also, I recommend PS3 version. Just my two bits. 360 version just as good, but more Souls fans play on PS3.
You do realize it says Collector's Edition not limited. Most the time that means it's going to be mass-produced. Too many games that I want instead. $120 is too much.

Not buying even if Dark Souls is one of my favorites - they released an absolute piece of crap port for PC. Yes I know about dsfix and all that, which is an unofficial fan patch and doesn't change the fact that Namco themselves released such a poor quality port. I'll be waiting to hear details about DS2 for PC before I even spend $50-60 for a preorder.
Apparently the PC version is the lead version this time, so in theory at least it should be the best one. Of course, things can always go wrong when the game is being optimized for various PC and graphic card configurations.

Honestly depending on the materials, $60 for a 12" statue is a decent deal. I just dropped $80 on that Arkham City Solomon Grundy figure. But if I find out its cheap kinda like the Skyrim Dragon then I'll probably cancel. I'm still debating keeping my Arkham origins CE that have paid off and that's $120 too.

Not sure if I actually want to spend that much but pre-ordered one earlier just in case so I don't wait too long and regret it like the Wind Waker HD CE.

I'm going to preorder it today. I can't help it. I have the NA and EU collectors edition of Demon's Souls, the NA and just ordered the Japan Collectors Edition of Dark Souls (basically just for the map, art book, and different covers and it wasn't cheap). If that pic of the Japan set is real, then I'll probably get both of those too.

Actually, the more I look at that statue, the more generic I think it is.  I guess I'll keep my pre-order for now, hope for an early unboxing/review and then make my decision.

But yeah, even at 12", if the statue isn't cool, this won't be worth it for me.

have the deluxe demon souls and LE dark souls... passing on this one and going with just the steelbook edition.  $120 is over priced.  Would consider it at $80, but this is more like NIS price gouging!

Amazon really screwed the pooch with these when Dark Souls 1 was launched, tons of people got dented cases. I want it, but I think ill go GS this time.

Too bad this whole series is too hard to play and just a monumental exercise in frustration and anger.  And yes, I've been playing RPGs since the late 80s.  This is not an RPG.  It's a hard as nails NES style platformer disguised as a fantasy RPG.  To be fair, I have the same amount of trouble playing it as I do New Super Mario Brothers U.  Except there is no hold your hand because you suck mode if you keep failing.  

Too bad this whole series is too hard to play and just a monumental exercise in frustration and anger. And yes, I've been playing RPGs since the late 80s. This is not an RPG. It's a hard as nails NES style platformer disguised as a fantasy RPG. To be fair, I have the same amount of trouble playing it as I do New Super Mario Brothers U. Except there is no hold your hand because you suck mode if you keep failing.
The main thing to remember is not to rush or run around every corner all willy nilly. If you take the time and are patient you will find victory to be yours. I can't wait for Dark Souls II.

Too bad this whole series is too hard to play and just a monumental exercise in frustration and anger. And yes, I've been playing RPGs since the late 80s. This is not an RPG. It's a hard as nails NES style platformer disguised as a fantasy RPG. To be fair, I have the same amount of trouble playing it as I do New Super Mario Brothers U. Except there is no hold your hand because you suck mode if you keep failing.
Once you get "established" and know how to upgrade gear, it's not too bad.

And mario can be very hard :)

The "eastern" CE looks far better.  I'd much rather have some cool little weapons like that than another generic statue.  In this day and age a plain statue doesn't cut it anymore.  They really need something better, if it's a statue add in some cool lights or some other cool stuff.

The "eastern" CE looks far better. I'd much rather have some cool little weapons like that than another generic statue. In this day and age a plain statue doesn't cut it anymore. They really need something better, if it's a statue add in some cool lights or some other cool stuff.
Other than the pic on play-asia, which looks like a drawing, I have found nothing on a different Japanese collectors Edition.

The only thing that makes the bosses hard is that they deal a lot of damage.

But once you figured iut the patterns, youll be fine.

Also there are spots in some boss fights where you literally cant get hit. And theres a way to kill a boss without fighting him.

There are so many things you can exploit its not even funny.

Realizing the exploits and patterns are the frustrating part though...

You might not want to comment on video game genres if you think that Dark Souls is a platformer. :/

The "eastern" CE looks far better. I'd much rather have some cool little weapons like that than another generic statue. In this day and age a plain statue doesn't cut it anymore. They really need something better, if it's a statue add in some cool lights or some other cool stuff.

I thought about this, too. But I also thought about how "the grass is always greener on the other side."

But seriously, though, the weapons and case for the weapons does look awesome. (Scroll down for image).

@ElektroDragon

Yea, some of my friends felt the same way when I recommended DkS with insane enthusiasm. They're hardcore RPG fans like me, too. The thing is, however, that while the game is hard, it is very rewarding. Death seldom felt cheap, and beating enemies like the Great Wolf Sif, pictured below, was just the absolute best.

I own a husky, and delivering the final blow to Sif was sad. Like, rip out my heart why don't you! lol

maxresdefault.jpg

Eh, price don't justify what you get. Strategy guide would be cool, if they are even doing one this time around after the last one was rendered useless in the stats department. Soundtrack won't be hard to get, can download a map of the game, and the statue looks kind of bland.

Part of me wonders if Namco Bandai thought about including any future DLC with this. For this price point, it would be awesome if they included it, and I think almost ALL AAA companies would do something like this, too. 

Then again, part of me thinks NB hasn't thought this far ahead. They'll probably wait until they get 1 million Twitter followers to release any sort of DLC =D

I love the Souls series and have both of the previous special edition for Demon's and Dark Souls but I think I'm going to pass on this. The price to me doesn't justifty what you get. The statue doesn't impress me at all. Black Armor Edition it is for me.

I can see where you are coming from, but seriously, if I can play (and beat) both Demons Souls and Dark Souls then I think pretty much anyone over the age of 12 can. I get totally owned in the PvP and thus detest it, but the single-player and coop aspects are manageable. Even with the occasional troublesome boss, you can always get help from others.

The main thing to remember is not to rush or run around every corner all willy nilly. If you take the time and are patient you will find victory to be yours. I can't wait for Dark Souls II.
Yeah, and maybe this is why I appreciate the game. I approach most games with deliberation and caution and in this game it actually pays off. In a lot of other games that tactic doesn't work (especially when there is a time limit).

Amazon's website message: This item will be available to download on March 31, 2014 at 12:00 AM (US/Pacific)

I am sad that the US website version will not let me get the collector's item. This sucks hard!

Looks nice, but overpriced. I loved what i played of dark souls, i need to finish it. 

Should be MSRP $79.99 not $119.99.  I may bite it for $49.99 or less.  Still waits for regular edition dropping down $19.99 or less ;)

As long as it's a pretty good quality statue made by someone reputable, this isn't a high price at all.  I collect figures and I would pay $60 alone for a decent Dark Souls statue/figure.  I can see this not being a good value for a lot of people, but this is not bad at all.  If you're no tinto figures and think this is too much, I can see why you'd want to pass.  But as a dude who loved Dark Souls and loves collecting this stuff this is a great price.

Other than the pic on play-asia, which looks like a drawing, I have found nothing on a different Japanese collectors Edition.
Still, if real...much cooler. I've actually been saying since Oblivion was released that there needs to be a CE with weapons or realistic looking armor (not a whole figure, just the armor like would be displayed in a mansion or something). Even better would be a weapon that would be cast iron and double as a letter opener or something to that effect.

I thought about this, too. But I also thought about how "the grass is always greener on the other side."

But seriously, though, the weapons and case for the weapons does look awesome. (Scroll down for image).
For me it's just the idea that sort of the standard "nice" CE nowadays always includes some kind of figure/statue of one of the main characters. I'd personally like a break from that. The reason I don't buy most of these is that there's no way I could possibly have room to put them. I'd need a whole room to dedicate to these and even at that I'd need tons of dedicated storage space/shelving/etc in the dedicated room.

I think it being extremely hard is overall a misunderstanding. It's not so much hard as it is a game where you really need to play it as the developers intended. For instance in a lot of "stealth" games you can just go in guns-blazing, or vise versa. Many games out there you can kind of bend the rules and play it how you want. In these games you HAVE to play methodically and you have to take every single enemy seriously whether you're just starting or if you're a high level.

Crazy thing is, one of the best things about this game...and I know this sounds EXTREMELY contradictory, but it's not...is that there's so much room for improvisation in the battles too. Yes you have to play methodically, but at the same time what that encourages is that you figure out your own ways to win.

Just throwing in my 2 cents since most everyone is.

Demon/Dark Souls is indeed hard but to act as though it is unplayable is ludicrous. It is challenging yes and as many have said requires a certain finesse to play. I for one love that I can build a character with nothing but strength and blaze through the game dodging like a fiend and landing massive hits and then afterwards make a completely ranged character and the game feels totally different, though equally hard each time. I could go on a rant forever about why I love this game but many people have made valid points on the difficulty being at a perfect level.

In terms of the CE itself. Yes it seems a bit overpriced seeing as the statue is quite bland, though in reality 12 inches is a massive figure for a CE and although the pose and character may not be the most flashy, if looking closely you can tell that it is an extremely detailed figure.

I for one will gladly pick it up at full price.

As long as it's a pretty good quality statue made by someone reputable, this isn't a high price at all. I collect figures and I would pay $60 alone for a decent Dark Souls statue/figure. I can see this not being a good value for a lot of people, but this is not bad at all. If you're no tinto figures and think this is too much, I can see why you'd want to pass. But as a dude who loved Dark Souls and loves collecting this stuff this is a great price.
This is my thought exactly, and I collect figures/statues, too. If it's high quality it's TOTALLY worth it. But if it's like the Infamous 2 or Uncharted 3 one, just a little taller, then it's a total ripoff. I'll wait to pick it up until I see an unboxing.

For those curious about the US Beta, from FS Facebook page:

Dark Souls II Beta Details for North and South America!

-There is no registration required for the Dark Souls II Network Test in North and South America.

-Select players will receive a message from Sony Computer Entertainment America through the PlayStation 3 XMB with a download code prior to the Network Test.
-The Dark Souls II Network Test will be available on a first-come, first-served basis with a limited number of participants allowed.
-The initial Dark Souls II Network Testing round that commences on 10/12 will accommodate up to 5000 players; a larger participant pool will be opened for a later testing round on 10/26.
-More information will be shared in the future regarding the timing of the XMB messages and the Network Test download availability. Please stay tuned here on Facebook and on
http://darksoulsii.com/us/

@ElektroDragon

Yea, some of my friends felt the same way when I recommended DkS with insane enthusiasm. They're hardcore RPG fans like me, too. The thing is, however, that while the game is hard, it is very rewarding. Death seldom felt cheap, and beating enemies like the Great Wolf Sif, pictured below, was just the absolute best.

I own a husky, and delivering the final blow to Sif was sad. Like, rip out my heart why don't you! lol

maxresdefault.jpg
Interestingly enough, I didn't have much issue with Sif. He was easy to dodge and you just had to watch out for his jump move. Once he hits the dirt, I was able to wail on him for 2-3 hits, run out of his range before he does his spin move. Rinse and repeat. I had a harder time with timing the hydra heads as I tend to use spears mainly, small hit box. I ended up going light and two handing a katana then the second one wasn't as difficult once the heads got stuck for a second or two in the beach.

Interestingly enough, I didn't have much issue with Sif. He was easy to dodge and you just had to watch out for his jump move. Once he hits the dirt, I was able to wail on him for 2-3 hits, run out of his range before he does his spin move. Rinse and repeat. I had a harder time with timing the hydra heads as I tend to use spears mainly, small hit box. I ended up going light and two handing a katana then the second one wasn't as difficult once the heads got stuck for a second or two in the beach.

That's awesome. I must have died at least 100 times on Sif. Not joking, either. But when I figured out how to beat him, I was able to kill him without taking a single hit. He was the one boss that gave me the hardest time, and it might have been because I tried fighting him too early.

@Bayou Billy

loooooooooooooooooool.

And second, Bayou Billy was the FIRST NES game I bought with my hard earned cash when I was like five. That is one hard game!

So now not only will this game be a pain in the ass to play, it will be a pain in the wallet too.

Don't understand the allure of super hard games, guess I never will.  And I love RPGs too, own this series... can't freaking stand how hard it is.

People who say this is their favorite game of the generation... do you just love really hard games?  Are you masochists?

I really never saw it as super hard, like sure it's difficult, but a lot of it is learning the way the game works since it does so little to teach you like other games that shove tutorials in your face.  You don't get long-winded hints and health potions that pause the game and stuff like that, and it requires you to make as little error as possible.  It took me a long time to get used to it, but just the way movement works, the exploration, the fact that the game doesn't tell you anything about the world except for what little bits you can put together, the clanking sound of your armor as you run, it just "feels" good.

bread's done
Back