UPDATED: Dark Souls II Pre Order - OOS: Amazon, Walmart, GS, BB, NewEgg

EvilChamp

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (67%)
9pSm52M.png

Update 03.10.14

7:10 p.m. CT - just a few more hours until midnight release. 

FRYS.com is SOLD OUT. While you can still add to cart, you will get a notice stating the supply isn't available. Thank you Erabiont for the tip!

Midnight is upon us! I'll be at Gamestop with a bunch of Titanfall lovers, but I'll be there to pick up the real GOTY - Dark Souls 2! 

Update - 03.09.14

XBOX 360 Black Armor edition and CE on NewEgg is SOLD OUT.

You can still get the PS3 Black Armor edition on FRYS.com.  Thanks Guadian_Owl for sharing! 

Update - 03.08.14 -

PS3 Black Armor edition on Best Buy is SOLD OUT.

PS3 Black Armor edition on NewEgg is SOLD OUT.   (Thanks XeroBlade for sharing.)

PS3 Black Armor edition on Walmart is SOLD OUT. 

PS3 Black Armor edition on Amazon is SOLD OUT.

Gamestop no longer taking in store preorders for either CE or Black Armor. 

eStarland is still taking preorders for PS3 Black Armor edition. 

Also ...

PC system requirments (via Polygon). PC release date is April 25.

------> Get $10 cash back or $12 credit via Green Man Gaming when you buy DkS II for $49.99.

Update - 03.07.14 -

Big news .... Gamestop is no longer taking in store pre orders for the CE or the Black Armor nationwide. "We're sold out."

You can still get the CE online through GS website. However, Black Armor edition is not showing up. Links to retailers still taking pre orders for Black Armor edition is in yellow bellow. (Just scroll down this OP)

Meanwhile, searches on Best Buy for Black Armor or CE were showing up empty. However, the website is still showing you can preorder either online. You have to search "Dark Souls ii" and not use the number 2. Weird. Thanks to midloo for pointing this out.

Just saying .... Last time DkS came out with a LE, NamcoBro had a huge SNAFU, as many didn't get their LEs. 

Update - 03.06.14

Amazon is selling the official, hardcover strategy guide for $21. Gamestop and other places are selling it for $35. Thanks to CAG user cruzadel for sharing this. 

This just in thanks to CAG user Xellos2099. 

Namco is selling the PC CE for $109.95. It includes everything as the regular CE, but you get a digital version of the game and a t-shirt. You can pre order it here. I am not sure if they charge for shipping. There is also a section for promo codes, but I don't know of any. If you do, please share. 

Update - 03.05.14: 

Amazon is currently sold out of the PS3 Black Armored Edition. Earlier, the CE was sold out as well, but has since returned to stock (as of 03/05). While I think those geting the Black Armor through Amazon will get it no problem, I should warn some about getting the CE. 

Just look at horror from the Bravely Default CE. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

Meanwhile, BB has no in store pickup ATM. 

Because Titanfall is also coming out on March 11, GS will have a midnight release for DkS II. I spoke to an employee who said they wouldn't have done the midnight release for souls if it wasn't for Titanfall. It just so happens both come out on same day. Praise the Sun. 

Also, you can save $5 by preordering the CE through Target. The Black Armor Edition is sold out however. To get the savings, click here, then checkout. If you do Target's credit card, you can save an additional 5%. Not too shabby. Link to Target DkS II CE: 

Some reviews have come in - 

Four different reviewers from Famitsu gave it a 9, 10, 9 and 9 out of 10, or a 37/40. Impressive. The previous Dark Souls received the same score. 

Meanwhile, one German magazine, M! Game, gave Dark Souls II a 90/100 and also said it is the "hardest game in the word." M! gave the first Dark Souls an 81/100. 

The CE also comes with some in game items, actually, a lot of in game items. Not sure how I feel about this, but I guess I'll take them. 

In other news, From Software said it has no plans for DLC for the game. I'm cool with this. 

If you are looking to join a Dark Souls community to talk strategy, then you can check out this forum. I've been a part of it since original release and members really get into this game here. Everyone is really kind and helpful and some people do spreadsheets with crazy data and stuff. 

It is a medium sized community, which I like. Your questions get answered and not buried a la Gamefaqs, but to each their own. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLACES YOU CAN STiLL PRE ORDER BLACK ARMOR EDITION ( as of 03.07.14) Thanks to @lookatthat for sharing!

ps3:

http://www.estarland...duct.41844.html

http://www.overstock...tml?searchidx=0

http://www.frys.com/product/7998180?source=googleps&gclid=COGeiL7vhL0CFS1p7AodMwoAVQ (added 03.09.14)

xbox 360

http://www.estarland...duct.41845.html

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&keys=keys&st=dark+souls+ii+black+armor1&_dynSessConf=ATG22126305800&id=pcat17071&type=page&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960&fs=saas&saas=saas&keys=keys&st=dark+souls+ii+360

http://www.amazon.co...ds=dark souls 2

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng.do?search_query=dark+souls+2&ic=16_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16874156044

http://www.play-asia...en-70-7g8z.html

http://www.gohasting...ts#.Uxo4BIWPNWI

http://www.overstock...19/product.html

Earlier, Sept. 23, 2013: 

What joy! It's finally here! Dark Souls II Limited Edition! 

dark_souls_2_collectors_edition_ce.jpg

It's already being dubbed "prepare to be broke" edition. Selling for $119.99. Last time, From Software gave everyone who preordered Dark Souls a free upgrade to the collector's edition, but for those of us that remember, there was one big SNAFU with that. (People didn't get their LEs, unless they preordered at Gamestop, for the most part.)

I'm dropping the big bucks on this. I don't care. This is my favorite game of this console generation. Here's what it comes with, from Joystiq:

"The Collector Edition is priced at $119.99 and includes a cloth map of the game's world, an art book and a 12" Warrior Knight figurine. It also contains the Black Armor edition of Dark Souls 2, meaning you'll have a soundtrack and metal case to go with the steeled will any Dark Souls fan undoubtedly harbors." 

Amazon is taking preorders here

Just went to my local GameStop and preordered it there. I'll be there at midnight. 

I should note, GS requires a minimum $25 to preorder the CE. 

Also, considering how From Software is notorious for messing up pre orders, and how insane the Souls community is, this might be one of those "you snooze you lose" type deals. Then again, this could be $79.99 three months after release. I did a poll on a Dark Souls forum, and pretty much everyone is getting the CE. Then again, those guys are like me. Also, I recommend PS3 version. Just my two bits. 360 version just as good, but more Souls fans play on PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
So now not only will this game be a pain in the ass to play, it will be a pain in the wallet too.

Don't understand the allure of super hard games, guess I never will. And I love RPGs too, own this series... can't freaking stand how hard it is.
The difficulty is a result of its depth. I have two thousands (PC/360) the platinum, and two platinums for Demon's Souls as well (US/UK). I love this series. I love it not only due to its style and atmosphere, but due to the ridiculous amount of depth within all of the gameplay systems. The game is difficult, but not usually in an unfair way. The people that find it too hard to play never understood how to play it properly and make proper use of the different systems provided in the game. The challenge also presents an enormous feeling of jubilee and a strong sense of accomplishment when you overcome something. And you are usually only able to overcome an obstacle by making full use of the game's systems and by enemy pattern memorization and correct exploitation. It's the old-school difficulty of something like Mega Man combined with some very deep RPG mechanics for an experience that is not only taxing on your fingers, but on your brain, too.

Anyone that found it too hard to complete or enjoy simply did not understand it.

At what point will we know if this is rare or not?  Obviously it'll have to sell out prior to shipping, but.....

Thoughts?

Most games you don't have any emotion invested in them.  You die, start at check point.  DS will make you scared when someone invades your world while in the middle of a big fight, because you have a lot to lose.  But after defeating them you get really excited.  The game is very rewarding, and if you go in knowing you will die a lot you most likely won't rage.

Yeah my heart was racing the very first time I got invaded in the Darkmoon Forest on the bridge towards Sif.

It was an epic duel that ended with me killing the invader on the bridge and just as I had delivered the killing blow, an NPC killed me as well.

Even better was that I had hit with the R2 of the Black Knight Greatsword so his body hadn't even hit the ground by the time the npc killed me.

DS will make you scared when someone invades your world while in the middle of a big fight, because you have a lot to lose.
I love the hate mail I receive when I kill them. Sooo goood! :rofl: I do agree with others that the difficulty lies in learning the game and adapting to the situations your in. Its pretty straight-forward after that.

I am not a big invader in DS but I make a PVP build and just wait for them to come to me.  It makes PVE harder but, it's more my style to counter gank. 

People who say this is their favorite game of the generation... do you just love really hard games? Are you masochists?
I love great games. I love this and Demon's Souls for embracing everything that is great about video games and creating a living, breathing world full of despair and adventure. The sense of discovery when finding a new area for the first time is unparalleled. The dread around every corner from both in-game monsters and other human invaders. The subtleties in its lore and storytelling, the unyielding sense of hopelessness but its overall emphasis on hope and perseverance. Playing these games makes playing anything else feel completely unrewarding by comparison.

But that's just me.

Yeah, only thing I don't like is the invaders. As a result, I ended up making Demon's Souls twice as hard as it already was because I played in soul form (with half health) nearly all the time to avoid that problem. I think it was easier in Dark Souls - I don't think it had the 50% health penalty, right? It's been a while since I've played though.

The PvP in Dark Souls was a little better because at least there were places where it was encouraged/focused (like the Forest guild thing). Both sides could go into that expecting it. But when it pops up at random when you are struggling to get to or past a boss, it is pretty annoying. Most of my PvP interactions happened while helping others though. I'd get summoned maybe along with a 3rd person - and then someone would invade. That usually didn't end too well for the invader. Although many other times we'd never even run into them because some of the areas are so large.

In any case, I am really excited for this. It's just too bad it isn't coming out in the next couple of months. That is so a "cold winter night" type of game. Playing it in Spring just doesn't seem right ;).

Hated Demon's Souls, thought it was the worst game due to having to start over from the beginning all the time, little did I know...traded it in. A couple years later picked up Dark Souls, thought wait, isn't this the same game I owned and hated a while ago?... It sat on my shelf for a while then one day I played for a few hours and was hooked. Over 200 hundred hours of game play later it is no doubt one of, if not my favorite game(s) of all time, own it for PS3 and 360 with DLC for both. Just started playing Demon's Souls again today and am loving it! Felt so good yelling at my TV as I died before recovering my souls for the first time. I can not wait for Dark Souls II and it is probably the only reason why I can wait on purchasing on of the next gen. consoles. I'll probably be picking up the CE but as someone else mentioned hate that the statue does not have a shield.

Damn. I wish I could afford something like this or had the disregard to spend that much for a video game (not to knock on those who ARE buying it lol). Pretty sick. Id love that figurine for sure. That art book will probably be amazing. 

Damn. I wish I could afford something like this or had the disregard to spend that much for a video game (not to knock on those who ARE buying it lol). Pretty sick. Id love that figurine for sure. That art book will probably be amazing.
I know this has been posted in other threads but the Dark Souls: Design Works is still available for pre-order. Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Design-From-Software/dp/1926778898/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1380862060&sr=8-14&keywords=dark+souls

I hope the Dark Souls 2 artbook in the CE is better quality than the first one. I opened my DS CE art book and pages fell out. I couldn't believe the shitty quality Namco let slide.

People who say this is their favorite game of the generation... do you just love really hard games? Are you masochists?
I speak as one of those people that counts himself among those calling this a gen favorite... Its not that friggin hard. Its really not. There are games this gen I gave up on after 15 minutes because I'm an impatient bitch of a gamer sometimes and didn't want to deal with learning anything, but Dark Souls game play weight is so perfect, so rewarding and gratifying of a feel, nothing else could stop me from continuing to play, and as I played I quickly realized if I took an extra 5 seconds to think through my approach or just block and wait for my opening to attack, then the difficulty was spot on for a decent challenge.

The only times I ever felt the souls games were flicking me off was with Flame lurker in Demons Souls and Ornstein and Smough in Dark Souls without using pyromancy.

However, I've also never felt greater sense of accomplishment in a game then after finally beating Ornstein and Smough without pyromancy. I fucking respected those mother fuckers.

I know a lot of people say it "isn't a RPG game", due to not having long winded conversations with npcs.  But the story is kind of hidden in item descriptions, and in the subtext.  And all the characters have some sort of back story you can miss if you're not paying attention. 

here is a taste:

The last born of Lord Gwyn, Gwyndolin, is the leader of the Blade of the Darkmoon covenant and the only remaining deity in Anor Londo. His followers are few, but their tasks are of vital importance. Although male, due to his magic and association with the moon, he was raised as a daughter. Gwyndolin, all too aware of his repulsive, frail appearance, created the illusion of a sister Gwynevere, who helps him guard over Anor Londo. An unmasking of these deities would be tantamount to blasphemy.

Demon's Souls is much the same way in its storytelling.

I am hoping they end up overprinting the collector's edition and I can pick one up below MSRP later since they don't actually say "limited" anywhere, but I suppose that is just wishful thinking.

I bought dark souls and returned it a couple days later. I hated not knowing what the hell to do and I don't use guides. A year after that I picked it up super cheap and started playing again. I beat it several times since then and got all the achievements, though I i did end up using a guide.

My only beef with this series is that they don't explain anything. Like, you really have no indication on where to go or what equipment you will need. The game is great beyond that and It isn't super difficult. The best advice I can give to anyone who hasn't played it yet is to:

Accept death as part of the gameplay.  It's not always a bad thing and can actually be useful.

Get a basic guide, if only to figure out where to go in what order, because they game will decimate you if you go to the wrong places.

The game is hard in the sense that it doesn't hold your hand.

What I love about this game:

-No death feels cheap.

-Beating bosses, enemies is rewarding. Once you figure out movements, you can kill any boss without getting hit.

-Such depth. There are so many weapons, armor with so many different movements and stats. Beyond that, you can further customize those weapons and armor. Sure, you can wear armor that makes to take less damage, but you'll be slow, for example. Me? I love the fast movements and katanas.

-PvP. Every time I play PvP I battle someone with a different setup. There are so many ways to customize your character and everyone seems to have their own play style.

-The story. Yes, I love this about Dark Souls. You create your own story based off the little lore in the game. In this game, less story works better than more, IMO.

-Immersion. There is such a variety of environments.

-There is no one way to beat play the game. If you want, and you're skilled enough, you can beat the game in a few hours. You're open to go pretty much where you want.

-I could go on ...

I've always preferred game play over story. I didn't enjoy the Uncharted series, nor did I think Bioshock 3 was the masterpiece the gaming media made it out to be. That's just me and to each their own.

I enjoy a challenge from a publisher that does its own thing. So, no, I'm not, and I don't think most Soul fans are, masochists. We just enjoy a game that doesn't hold your hand.

I know this has been posted in other threads but the Dark Souls: Design Works is still available for pre-order. Here's the Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Design-From-Software/dp/1926778898/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1380862060&sr=8-14&keywords=dark+souls

I hope the Dark Souls 2 artbook in the CE is better quality than the first one. I opened my DS CE art book and pages fell out. I couldn't believe the shitty quality Namco let slide.
WOW. This looks awesome. This is exactly the type of stuff I want from a LE/CE (too bad it's not DkS II). I had no idea about this. Thank you for sharing.

I know it's a niche, but I love collecting strategy guides just for the art. I could see this being more rare (for those that care) than anything being sold for DkS II in the future.

Thanks for sharing. Just ordered it.

ALERT::: 

It is 1:51 p.m. Central Time right now. In nine minutes, PS3 owners may receive a beta code from Namco for the Dark Souls II beta. It's first come first serve. 

I don't know what happens when you get code or what the steps are, but they will be releasing them any minute now. 

update  

NB said there is a delay. How long is anyone's guess. 

You guys realize beta is just code for E3 demo.  Every company does this and I think I'll just wait til March for the real deal.

The beta was playable for half an hour. But they kicked everyone out. It was really enjoyable from what I managed to play.

I'm not playing the demo and I'm only going to watch that official trailer.  Hopefully I forget most of what I've seen by the time the game comes out.

UGH. I wish I got in this. 

If anyone on CAG got this and would like to share their account I would be beyond appreciative and drop some stuff there way ; )

Anyone else's art book from Dark Souls completely fall apart?  All of the pages fell outta mine, it's like they bound it together with a glue stick.  Guess I can't complain since it was free.  Tempted to get this and put it next to the skyrim dragon and colonial marines statues.

Anyone else's art book from Dark Souls completely fall apart? All of the pages fell outta mine, it's like they bound it together with a glue stick. Guess I can't complain since it was free. Tempted to get this and put it next to the skyrim dragon and colonial marines statues.
Yeah mine fell apart the first time I opened it. I hope this art book is better quality.

Anyone else's art book from Dark Souls completely fall apart? All of the pages fell outta mine, it's like they bound it together with a glue stick. Guess I can't complain since it was free. Tempted to get this and put it next to the skyrim dragon and colonial marines statues.
I'm honestly thinking of just ordering the Hard Armored edition and this artbook. This thing is truly a piece of art.

I already ordered artbook and put down $25 for the CE. I'm now thinking of just getting the HA edition and this artbook. It's more my style, especially since I collect strategy guides and what not.

Check out images and more details from this article from Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/the-dark-souls-art-book-probably-wont-try-and-kill-y-1242920221

Side note: So pretty ...

IMAG0040_zpsb5b212c6.jpg

As an animator I buy pretty much all art books available both for reference and to further support the artists.

I have had the Dark Souls Design Works preordered since it was available and it just recently actually got pushed back. It originally was slated to release in the middle of November.

I was heartbroken when I saw that it was delayed haha.

Also I got into the next test cycle. I really wish we could play the beta outside of the single time provided (here in Chicago I have to wait until 1am to get on) and just be forced to play in offline mode or something.

And since this is the CE thread, I ordered the CE the moment it was announced haha.

Has anyone got in on the Beta? It should be live right now. It looks like its trying to log on the servers now but I cant get on, after a few tries it keeps telling me I don't have the latest version like its been saying.

bread's done
Back