[Updated] Redbox Renting Video Games: $2 per Night

MInes51

CAGiversary!
As the title says, I'm not 100% if this is all red boxes, but it sounds like it's either a really good idea or a really bad idea. Either way when they start selling the excess stock like they do for the movies, there probably will be some deals to be had. Just a heads up.

Games out for the 360
Fable 3
Halo Reach
Fallout: New Vegas
Medal of Honor
Enslaved
NBA 2K11
Dead Rising 2
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
Mafia 2
Kane and Lynch 2

Games out for PS3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
Fallout New Vegas
Medal of Honor
Enslaved NBA 2K11
Dead Rising 2
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
Mafia 2
Kane and Lynch 2

Games out for Wii
Family party 90
Deca Sports 3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
NBA Jam
New Carnival Games
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
Metroid: Other M

No games currently out for DS or PS2, altough there seems to be plans got them.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='slidecage']good luck finding codes though. last year when redbox was sort of new you seen free movie codes come out like candy.. now its very hard to find codes

I wonder why they list DS games.. I doubt you will ever see DS games in a Redbox... wii.ps3,360 all are DISC games meaning its the same barcode as movies... Ds is cart based and would be a major pain in the ass to rent out of redboxes[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dastly75']Promo codes don't work on games unless explicitly stated. Movies and Games are not grouped together.[/QUOTE]

It should still work. Before you rent enter promo code and its gonna automatically deduct 1.00 from the purchase, thats what i do for blurays and they cost me .50 cents. It only works once per account though. Also if you have an iphone or a android phone download the redbox codes app its free. Sometimes people post a code that actually works.

[quote name='BAMAJD']So, what happens if you never return the game back to the box?[/QUOTE]

Hired goons come to your house and beat your ass for being a thief.

Looks like no Reboxes with games in my area yet (South NJ). I checked a few other locations in the Northeast out of curiosity, and nothing in any of those areas either. Hopefully this goes well for Redbox and it comes nationwide next year.
Sounds good for short games as others have mentioned, but I wouldn't mind giving longer games I have no intention of buying a rent as well, maybe just for trophies/achievements and the such.

There are three Redbox machines in my town of 12,XXX. None of them stock games.

The only time I've ever used the machine is when my gf and I got a free code.

I'd definitely rent short single-player games at that price.

I get free codes (maybe they're $1 off, I haven't tried on a BR yet) codes texted to me from Redbox. Probably a checkbox you can select on the website for your account.

Are the games in the box or you have to order them online because I have one a couple blocks away from my house?And I never understood like if you get a movie you have to pay $1 and you get for a night from that box but how will they know if you return it or not?

[quote name='Gears24']Are the games in the box or you have to order them online because I have one a couple blocks away from my house?And I never understood like if you get a movie you have to pay $1 and you get for a night from that box but how will they know if you return it or not?[/QUOTE]

You have to swipe a credit card to get the machine to give you any titles, they time it from when you check and return it then charge $2 a day for games to your card. I assume there's some kind of maximum rental time where they just assume the title is lost though (probably a month? haven't used it myself).

The DVDs have barcodes on them so as soon as you rent it or return it you get an email instantly. It's seriously the greatest invention in the world. Also you can rent anywhere you want and return it anywhere you want it's very easy. You sign up for this at the vending machines and all you need is a credit card with an email address. Once you swipe your credit after you have rented from red box the machine automatically knows your info.

Not over here yet but I remember reading that it was supposed to start rolling out to places end of October/early November so maybe in the next couple weeks.

I think this is perfect for those games with short campaigns that you can knock off in 1 night, like MoH or Kane and Lynch 2. Don't need to bother waiting for a price drop, just rent it and beat the campaign for a mere $2.

[quote name='akokonas']The DVDs have barcodes on them so as soon as you rent it or return it you get an email instantly. It's seriously the greatest invention in the world. Also you can rent anywhere you want and return it anywhere you want it's very easy. You sign up for this at the vending machines and all you need is a credit card with an email address. Once you swipe your credit after you have rented from red box the machine automatically knows your info.[/QUOTE]

bad thing after using the same credit card (email account) for around 3 months they will STOP sending emails saying you return the movie... this has happened on 3 email accounts this year...

[quote name='BargainGamer']This all will depend on those games that can be beaten in 8 hours or less. I wonder what games they'll offer.[/QUOTE]

This is their list, more or less covers all the big releases of the year. But with no online reservation on games, it's kind of hard to tell which ones will be at your local store.

[quote name='Psybuster']You have to swipe a credit card to get the machine to give you any titles, they time it from when you check and return it then charge $2 a day for games to your card. I assume there's some kind of maximum rental time where they just assume the title is lost though (probably a month? haven't used it myself).[/QUOTE]
Hm thanks never used one myself either.

for just a week, you would be paying close as much as 1 disk at a time/month gamefly sub, which is better?

My Redbox got games early last week. They have good, recent titles, like New Vegas, Enslaved, and a few others. Now, I can see myself walking down there on a Saturday morning with crappy winter weather, picking up Enslaved for $2, and finishing it that weekend before it's due on Sunday night. I can't see myself renting Fallout and paying $2 a day until I finish it. Still, I guess if it was a new IP that I was unsure of, $2 to try it out would be worth it.

Couldn't find MOH. I was able to fine Enslaved at most of them and Halo reach/NBA 2K11 different machines. Will keep my eye out for availability for sure but i gotta say:

It would help much if you knew which games were available at which machines.

Blockbuster is already down for the count. Now folks like Redbox and Netflix are just beating it to a bloody pulp. With video games added to the mix, it is literally beating a dead horse :)

None that I see in CT yet. But I'd love to beat Enslaved in a day or two and spend $4 instead of $20 to own, unless the DLC is gonna be awesome.

rented Enslaved tonight. don't have work tomorrow so plan on playing through what i can. if i don't finish it, i'll just rent it again over the weekend. i think $2 is a great price point.

[quote name='slidecage']bad thing after using the same credit card (email account) for around 3 months they will STOP sending emails saying you return the movie... this has happened on 3 email accounts this year...[/QUOTE]

I need a slidecage translator... wtf are you talking about.

The only thing I could see are 2 senarios... A) Redbox is sick and tired of your constant renting 1 movie every day for the past year(s) and said fuck it on the emails.... or B) You rent sooo much and redbox sending you an email so often that your email account holder has permently blocked them because they were flagged as constant spamming.

So do you get the receipts that it states you rented one?

I think these things could only happen to you and you alone.

ok so staying on topic....

This is a GREAT move by Redbox, and jumps the gun on Netflix. Now if Netflix buys out Gamefly... then there will be heaven on earth, and maybe I wouldn't have to wait 13 days for a game.

Second point is that they can do DS games because they could slap a sticker on the back of the DS cart, and develope a special case that would center the cart in the center like CDs.

I haven't checked, but I know my two boxes have games, just never bothered to look. If they can score on location/inventory & online ordering then it's win-win. But for now it's a mad hunt. And release titles will be prime to get stocked.

This overall is a gamer's delight, with a buffet style play-fest. You can surely beat most games in under a day. Trophies/Cheevos may be harder, but for those that pump out games, $2 bucks could be CAG heaven.

Saturday morning, rent, play through Sunday and return by 5pm. Done.

Seems like I have one a couple of miles away. Never used Redbox before since I use Netflix for my movie fix.

I would definitely try this out since I'm not able to purchase many games like I used to.

I read about this last week, I think this is great. Redbox has been testing this in I think the midwest area, (can't remember), but now that those testing were apparently successful enough they have expanded to practically everywhere.

I was psyched at first, but that quickly died down. I have a hard enough time beating average lengthed games in 5 days, forget a single day. It'll be a last resort, or if it's a game I'm confident I'll breeze through.

[quote name='CaoPi']$2 a night? that's a whole $14 a week if your trying to finish a long game, or don't have the time[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but it's a great fucking deal if you have a good amount of time available to play on a weekend or holiday. There are tons of games out there that you can get through in 7-8 hours, which would be like 1-2 days at most,

Not sure how long this will last. Redbox can afford to take a loss on fraud from stolen DVDs and Blu Rays, as they are relatively inexpensive, stolen video games however are another story, and given their high value, will be a far bigger problem than any fraud that might occur with movies. Wal-Mart tried this exact same thing with with their own brand of Kiosks maybe a year or two ago, and it failed for this reason, people would rent games with those stored value cards you can buy that work the same as a credit card, and then just not return them.

None near me here in KY :(

Though I do live in walking distance from a Redbox at a McDonalds, so if we get them, this'll be sweet :D

[quote name='spmahn']Not sure how long this will last. Redbox can afford to take a loss on fraud from stolen DVDs and Blu Rays, as they are relatively inexpensive, stolen video games however are another story, and given their high value, will be a far bigger problem than any fraud that might occur with movies. Wal-Mart tried this exact same thing with with their own brand of Kiosks maybe a year or two ago, and it failed for this reason, people would rent games with those stored value cards you can buy that work the same as a credit card, and then just not return them.[/QUOTE]

redbox does not take pre paid debits or pre paid credit cards

only debit and credit cards and you will be charged full price if u do not return it

saw this at a market the other day. Had fallout new vegas. Almost begging to be kept for at least a week if you actually play it all night each day. Maybe if you're curious and want to try it out for a night ok, but I'd hate for someone to rent FO and keep it way too long and fall into redbox's evil plan.

To people saying this is expensive and complaining about gas, do you never have to go grocery shopping? Stop acting like you don't ever leave the house. There are redbox locations EVERYWHERE. Pick one up when you have to go someplace.

Let's stop acting like people on this site don't eat McDonald's quite a bit.

Kansas City unfortunately doesnt appear to have this yet. At least the Northland doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='killer9']redbox does not take pre paid debits or pre paid credit cards

only debit and credit cards and you will be charged full price if u do not return it[/QUOTE]

If there's a will, there's a way. Plenty of stolen or spoofed debit cards out there, plenty of crooks out there using fake IDs to open checking accounts too.

I'm definitely going to use this often if and when they add games to the Redbox machines mear me. Gamefly and Blockbuster always seem to expensive since I only play games 1 or 2 days a week and then end up paying out the ass for a bunch of days of the game sitting on my shelf.

Anyone know when they add new games or movies to the machines? Is there a certain day/time? Say, would new movie releases be there by Tuesday mornings?

Just checked mine in the Sacramento Area. Stocked with Dead Rising 2, Fallout New Vegas, Nba 2k11, Kane and Lynch 2, Halo Reach, Mafia 2, and Enslaved. Better selection than I thought it would have.

[quote name='2&2']Anyone know when they add new games or movies to the machines? Is there a certain day/time? Say, would new movie releases be there by Tuesday mornings?[/QUOTE]

New release movies are available at midnight on their releae date since the studios ship them out to retailers sometimes weeks in advance. Games on the othe hand don't usually get shipped to retailers until their exact date of release, so I would guess there moght be a weeks delay on new releases.

[quote name='schuerm26']To people saying this is expensive and complaining about gas, do you never have to go grocery shopping? Stop acting like you don't ever leave the house. There are redbox locations EVERYWHERE. Pick one up when you have to go someplace.

Let's stop acting like people on this site don't eat McDonald's quite a bit.

Kansas City unfortunately doesnt appear to have this yet. At least the Northland doesn't.[/QUOTE]

Haha! Well put. I never understood the stupidity people write on here.

bread's done
Back