[Updated] Redbox Renting Video Games: $2 per Night

MInes51

CAGiversary!
As the title says, I'm not 100% if this is all red boxes, but it sounds like it's either a really good idea or a really bad idea. Either way when they start selling the excess stock like they do for the movies, there probably will be some deals to be had. Just a heads up.

Games out for the 360
Fable 3
Halo Reach
Fallout: New Vegas
Medal of Honor
Enslaved
NBA 2K11
Dead Rising 2
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
Mafia 2
Kane and Lynch 2

Games out for PS3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
Fallout New Vegas
Medal of Honor
Enslaved NBA 2K11
Dead Rising 2
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
Mafia 2
Kane and Lynch 2

Games out for Wii
Family party 90
Deca Sports 3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
NBA Jam
New Carnival Games
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
Metroid: Other M

No games currently out for DS or PS2, altough there seems to be plans got them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tried it for AC : Bros, pretty good deal. Nearly plat it for 4 bucks. I just wish they'd have some sort of online inventory for me to check if the game I want is in instead of always having to try my luck at the machines.

To bad they still dont have games anywhere near me. Seems to be missing FL completely still. Strange since this is one of the largest states, you would think it wouldnt take them so long to get games in here.

[quote name='wrencrest']To bad they still dont have games anywhere near me. Seems to be missing FL completely still. Strange since this is one of the largest states, you would think it wouldnt take them so long to get games in here.[/QUOTE]
Same with me wondering why they do not just put atleast one in every major city to see how it does then expand.:roll:

Yeah, none here in TN as far as I know. The RedBox's here do have a game category, but when you click on it it says it couldn't find what you were looking for. Honestly, the selection would probably be piss poor if they did have them here anyways. The bluray selection here is godawful.

My redboxes are always full stocked with games. Sadly the entire redbox library is like 6 games. Great deal though for testing out games. Glad I didn't buy two worlds 2 after renting it. :|

[quote name='Buuhan1']Yeah, none here in TN as far as I know. The RedBox's here do have a game category, but when you click on it it says it couldn't find what you were looking for. Honestly, the selection would probably be piss poor if they did have them here anyways. The bluray selection here is godawful.[/QUOTE]

Actually I live in knoxville, TN. We have games in every single redbox. Great selection as far as I have seen. There has been PS3-WII-360 games. And pretty much all new releases each time.

[quote name='wrencrest']To bad they still dont have games anywhere near me. Seems to be missing FL completely still. Strange since this is one of the largest states, you would think it wouldnt take them so long to get games in here.[/QUOTE]

They def aren't missing Florida, we've had games in Orlando since May 2010. Seems to go as far west as Kissimmee, at least. Zip code 32801 works, for example or for anyone curious to see what some boxes carry. A local box actually carries up to 12 games some days.

They've allowed online reservations for game (and stock checks) since the early part of this year at least, but I don't usually reserve online so I can use one of my Redbox codes to reduce the night by $1.

They aren't carrying everything either, just recently they've beefed up but for example, they lack something like Bulletstorm (but they do have Killzone 3, MVC3, and Megamind). Once a game is 'too old' it seems they're phased out, since Mafia II is MIA in this region now.

New releases are usually put into the boxes in Orlando on Thursday at the earliest, FWIW. Depends on who stocks your box, though, I would imagine, since you can usually see them slowly populate throughout the weekend.

[quote name='Foladar']They def aren't missing Florida, we've had games in Orlando since May 2010. Seems to go as far west as Kissimmee, at least. Zip code 32801 works, for example or for anyone curious to see what some boxes carry. [/QUOTE]

Good to know, I didnt think to look in Orlando. I tried Miami and Tampa and found nothing, so I assumed.

[quote name='theking20']nothing here in Boston but they did put a "video games" tab, but it says "nothing currently available"

fuck you red box :/[/QUOTE]
Okay, if they aren't testing in a large city like Boston, where are they testing?

[quote name='Lucian']Okay, if they aren't testing in a large city like Boston, where are they testing?[/QUOTE]

Vegas, baby. Vegas.

This is a great idea. Too bad there are no games within 50 miles of Indianapolis. I guess that means it's a pretty limited roll out so far.

[quote name='Buuhan1']Yeah, none here in TN as far as I know. The RedBox's here do have a game category, but when you click on it it says it couldn't find what you were looking for. Honestly, the selection would probably be piss poor if they did have them here anyways. The bluray selection here is godawful.[/QUOTE]

In TN too (nashville area) and wish they would start doing games as well. Agree on your assessment of how crappy the selection is for blu rays. :bomb:

I haven't checked into this thread for quite a while, and I see that Redbox is still a fail. Quite simply they just didn't run their gaming set up the way they did movies. Even if they had a small, but slightly larger then current supply of games it would be fine, but its so inconsistant if they will get any games that have come out in the past 2 years or how many they will have.

I've randomly checked a couple of Red Boxes near my house and they've had at most 6 games to choose from and all were old and crap. Also, none were those from the OP.

[quote name='KillerSmokey24']Actually I live in knoxville, TN. We have games in every single redbox. Great selection as far as I have seen. There has been PS3-WII-360 games. And pretty much all new releases each time.[/QUOTE]
Eh?! Well, that sucks. I'm in Nashville and none of the RedBox's I've gone to have had games. Then again, there's only 3 around me that I know of (one outside a Thorton's, one outside a Walgreens, and one outside a Kroger).

Why are people randomly checking Red Boxes in person when you can easily check online? I haven't used it myself, but the availability in LA appears to be pretty good. Black Ops 360 is the only game not available within a few miles.

[quote name='jkanownik']Why are people randomly checking Red Boxes in person when you can easily check online? I haven't used it myself, but the availability in LA appears to be pretty good. Black Ops 360 is the only game not available within a few miles.[/QUOTE]

I guess you keep walking past the Redbox you are walking past, go home and check online to see if it had any games in it? ;^)

I've never really taken this Redbox stuff seriously, but I'm looking here online, and supposedly they have a fairly huge selection of movies at the one at my Kroger's.

They must really cram the discs in somehow, because there' must be easily a half dozen films I'd be willing to see that I haven't yet. No games at mine though.

I'm almost thinking of renting something from one, just to try it out, though Netflix is a better deal for me and I'd rather support my Family Video too.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I've never really taken this Redbox stuff seriously, but I'm looking here online, and supposedly they have a fairly huge selection of movies at the one at my Kroger's.

They must really cram the discs in somehow, because there' must be easily a half dozen films I'd be willing to see that I haven't yet. No games at mine though.

I'm almost thinking of renting something from one, just to try it out, though Netflix is a better deal for me and I'd rather support my Family Video too.[/QUOTE]

they are in paper sleeves right? so they dont take up much room. they are closing up most of the blockbusters in my area, so the only choices in the future will be redbox, netflix, blockbuster online, or mom and pop stores.

[quote name='nakanenui']they are in paper sleeves right? so they dont take up much room. they are closing up most of the blockbusters in my area, so the only choices in the future will be redbox, netflix, blockbuster online, or mom and pop stores.[/QUOTE]

They are in thin plastic cases so I'm sure they can store hundreds of discs in one machine. Redbox has overtaken all video stores in my area, it's become so popular that most locations have had to add a second machine to keep up with demand.

All the Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos closed up shop over a year ago, too many other alternatives to rent movies/games nowadays.

Wish Redbox would start getting games in my area though...

Wow, that would suck with local stores closed. I guess there are quite a bit fewer than there used to be here, but there's still at least Family Video and Blockbuster...I guess two instead of three of those though. Don't think any of the Family Video's have closed, in fact there's a brand new one that was built a year or two back.

I kind of feel bad about using Netflix instead of Family Video though... Although the selection of shows probably is much worse.

[quote name='AdmrlBalls']They are in thin plastic cases so I'm sure they can store hundreds of discs in one machine. Redbox has overtaken all video stores in my area, it's become so popular that most locations have had to add a second machine to keep up with demand.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, in one shopping center near where I live there are at least SIX Redbox kiosks. 2 at Wal-Mart, 1 at the gas station and 3 at Harris Teeter. No wonder the local Blockbuster is going out of business. Only one seems to have games but I wish they'd up their selection. Plus $2 a night is kind of steep IMO.

Glad that Redbox is opening up to games; they have the infrastructure in place, no reason not to give it a try.

I also wanted to point out that through GameHuddle.com you can rent for just $1 a day (and just 40c a day after the first 5 days). Plus, part of your money goes to your fellow gamers who have loaned their games to the program (or you can make money sharing your games).

It's by mail, so even if you don't have Redbox w/ games near you you can do it. And there's no monthly fee, you only pay for what you rent.

$2 a day is too much in my opinion. $1 would be perfect. Gamefly has a 2 day turnaround for me so that works perfecty! Unfortunately I have no video stores around me 2 Hollywood videos 2 blockbuster's, 4 movie gallery's, and 3 family videos closed lol. Literally all I have is redbox, which completely dominated my area.

Gamefly only makes sense if you rent a lot of games, which I don't. I wish redbox would get their $2 rentals in my area. I'm fine with that pricing though, sure, I'd rather pay $1. :)

[quote name='bugeeker']Glad that Redbox is opening up to games; they have the infrastructure in place, no reason not to give it a try.

I also wanted to point out that through GameHuddle.com you can rent for just $1 a day (and just 40c a day after the first 5 days). Plus, part of your money goes to your fellow gamers who have loaned their games to the program (or you can make money sharing your games).

It's by mail, so even if you don't have Redbox w/ games near you you can do it. And there's no monthly fee, you only pay for what you rent.[/QUOTE]
Woah this site just blew my mind. Is it legit? Has anyone used this site?

Yeah, the only reason I'd rent is in order to try a game out before buying (or not), and for party games for parties. For example, Yoostar 2. I'd like to get that for a party, but I'm not sure I'd want to buy it. I can't see playing that game on my own at all, so renting it every once in a while for a party or other gathering would fit the bill just fine.

That gamehuddle site is intriguing. I might give that a shot.

Gamehuddle sounds very intriguing indeed, I'm going to check it out further. The grace period is what gets me, considering they would need to seriously delay their shipping to screw you. Gamefly just throttles a bit and you waste days waiting for the game to get there.

2 bucks a night is basically the same price as BBV, only you don't have to rent it in 5 day blocks, so it's a decent price. I think 24 hours is a good amount of time to evaluate whether a game is worth purchasing, or if it's short like Kane and Lynch 2, should be sufficient to beat within a day or two. Of course, that's also dependent if games are available in the area, and I'm lucky I'm surrounded by Redbox machines with games in a 5 mile radius, which is not the case for number of CAGs here.

Man I'd love it if the Redboxes near me got video game rentals! I'm dying to try Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions to see if it is good or not.

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, but there a lot of redbox codes out there that offer $1 off a DVD rental making them free. You can use these codes for games too making the game rental $1 for the first night. It's one code per credit card, but if you have 3 credit/debit cards and there are 3 codes, that's a $9 savings. The codes that immediately come to mind are DVDONME, BREAKROOM, and DVDATWAG (Only at walgreens). There are a few other ones out there and some pop up monthly.

One Redbox near me has a game. One game, specifically: Just Dance 2 for the Wii. And it's always there, never checked out. None of the other kiosks in my part of the city seem to have any games. I'm thinking someone just returned it from some Redbox in another part of the country just to mess with me. It's like hope-trolling.

Looking forward to being able to rent some proper games, though.

[quote name='JoeyLYCAN']$2 a day is too much in my opinion. $1 would be perfect. Gamefly has a 2 day turnaround for me so that works perfecty! Unfortunately I have no video stores around me 2 Hollywood videos 2 blockbuster's, 4 movie gallery's, and 3 family videos closed lol. Literally all I have is redbox, which completely dominated my area.[/QUOTE]

Where do you live at that 3 family videos closed? The reason I ask is because in the 5 years I have worked for them I only know of one store that was closed and that was because it got robbed every single month so it wasn't worth the hassle anymore.

bread's done
Back