[Updated] Redbox Renting Video Games: $2 per Night

MInes51

CAGiversary!
As the title says, I'm not 100% if this is all red boxes, but it sounds like it's either a really good idea or a really bad idea. Either way when they start selling the excess stock like they do for the movies, there probably will be some deals to be had. Just a heads up.

Games out for the 360
Fable 3
Halo Reach
Fallout: New Vegas
Medal of Honor
Enslaved
NBA 2K11
Dead Rising 2
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
Mafia 2
Kane and Lynch 2

Games out for PS3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
Fallout New Vegas
Medal of Honor
Enslaved NBA 2K11
Dead Rising 2
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
Mafia 2
Kane and Lynch 2

Games out for Wii
Family party 90
Deca Sports 3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
NBA Jam
New Carnival Games
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
Metroid: Other M

No games currently out for DS or PS2, altough there seems to be plans got them.

Last edited by a moderator:
so what's the best way to rent at redbox? you get charged at 9pm each day right? so if i rent a game at 12am on monday and return it by 9pm tuesday do I get charged for only one day and is that the way to get the most time out of it? 33 hours...

[quote name='von551']so what's the best way to rent at redbox? you get charged at 9pm each day right? so if i rent a game at 12am on monday and return it by 9pm tuesday do I get charged for only one day and is that the way to get the most time out of it? 33 hours...[/QUOTE]

?? 12 am Monday to 9pm Tuesday isn't 33 hours, it's 45 :lol: yes, that theoretically should work.

[quote name='Scorch']?? 12 am Monday to 9pm Tuesday isn't 33 hours, it's 45 :lol: yes, that theoretically should work.[/QUOTE]

oh yeah, i was thinking until 9am, duh. i should've edited for math. haha. cool. ill try it out...

[quote name='shoe478']Yeah but I would encourage anyone with a Family Video (if available) to check out their rentals if they think they want a game for more than 2 days.

1 day rental = $2.99 (boo)
2 day rental = $3.99 (same)
5 day rental = $6.99 ($1.40 per day)[/QUOTE]

if you buy the 30 day 1/2 price membershp thing the games will be cut in half (the membership is 14.99 per month though) BUT if you rent 2 games a month at the 5 days it will pay for itself

also most of them accept other stores coupons so if you can get the

RENT 1 get 1 FREE game blockbuster coupons on ebay you could save a lot of cash fast...

BUy the 30 day membership for 14.95 use the rent 1 get 1 free

2 games for 5 days for 3.50 (1.75 per rental for 5 days or 35 cents per day )

[quote name='slidecage']if you buy the 30 day 1/2 price membershp thing the games will be cut in half (the membership is 14.99 per month though) BUT if you rent 2 games a month at the 5 days it will pay for itself

also most of them accept other stores coupons so if you can get the

RENT 1 get 1 FREE game blockbuster coupons on ebay you could save a lot of cash fast...

BUy the 30 day membership for 14.95 use the rent 1 get 1 free

2 games for 5 days for 3.50 (1.75 per rental for 5 days or 35 cents per day )[/QUOTE]

You took that to another level.

I think the cooler thing here is the opportunity to get used games on the cheap. RedBoxes rotate out popular movies after a month for only 5 bucks. If your lucky, you can get some good ones. Games might go for 10-15. In a month or two, we might find out.

You guys that have RedBox with video games are lucky

Enjoy it while you can, Ars and the WSJ are reporting that RedBox wants to go all digital because the local laws about having those kiosks is killing them and they will be starting a streaming only trial some time early next year with eventually moving to all digital and doing away with the kiosks altogether similar to what Netflix is doing. And if you follow what Gamestop is doing, they may go digital at some point too.

Obviously it will not be overnight or even next year, but it will be soon

I'm not even focused on this yet, considering they are still (STILL!!!) getting everything together as far as putting all the games into Redboxes and getting them all formatted. The website still isn't showing the games page link yet...when it does Redbox will be ready to go. Until then its just too inconsistant and odds are you won't be getting anything from them unless you want to wait a week or two after the game comes out.

I was kind of down on this being a good deal when I first saw these popping up. But I have to take it back.

For now anyway, until more people notice them and they let people reserve them online so the new games are gone as soon as they are up online.

I grabbed Fable 3 last friday, played through it and returned it sunday. $4
They sent me a text for $1 off so I got Enslaved, just about done with it so I'll return that tomorrow for $3. $4 for a playthrough of a game you really want to play but will never buy is pretty cheap.

If they had Red Dead Redemption I would've gotten that just so I can buy the new DLC and play through that.

If you can manage to grab a game you were hesitant to buy on a friday or saturday I find this to be a pretty good deal. That is until they roll it out a bit more and possibly advertise, then all the games will be on reserve from online orders and it'll be like gamefly, get it first or fight and wait a week to get the new games.

Would be awesome if Red Box do something like Gamefly, where you can rent unlimited games per month for a set price.

Paid $1.09 for a night of Halo Reach using the code DVDONME. They didn't have much selection though. I was hoping for Shattered Dimensions.

[quote name='shoe478']Yeah but I would encourage anyone with a Family Video (if available) to check out their rentals if they think they want a game for more than 2 days.

1 day rental = $2.99 (boo)
2 day rental = $3.99 (same)
5 day rental = $6.99 ($1.40 per day)[/QUOTE]

Beware that Family Video nationwide now charges a refundable $20 deposit PER GAME on any recent release game you want to rent.

I checked some local kiosks for CoD: Black Ops today, but no luck. I wonder when they stock brand new games. The release date?

[quote name='TheBomb69']I got Black Ops this morning at 7:30 a.m.[/QUOTE]

Lucky you, as only a few select machines out of the ones that supply games have Black Ops yet.

I know with DVDs from Redbox if you keep them so many days, they are yours. They consider that you purchased it. Does anyone know the time-frame for games?

Since Redbox does not charge you until the game is returned it may be a nice way to get a new game quick when you do not have the cash (not that I am recommending that option).

Anyway, my wife picked up Black Ops for me today from Redbox so I will play through the single player tonight or tomorrow and return. I am sure the Multiplayer is more of MW2.

[quote name='hoofrog']I know with DVDs from Redbox if you keep them so many days, they are yours. They consider that you purchased it. Does anyone know the time-frame for games?

Since Redbox does not charge you until the game is returned it may be a nice way to get a new game quick when you do not have the cash (not that I am recommending that option).

Anyway, my wife picked up Black Ops for me today from Redbox so I will play through the single player tonight or tomorrow and return. I am sure the Multiplayer is more of MW2.[/QUOTE]

I think its 30 days, but I'm not sure.

lol, it's been a month since that last post and i'm still mad :p

where the fuck is red box gonna stock video games in MA :/

just checking some other north east states- N.Y, not even there as well.

so far i guess its still just the west,central,south east :(

Redbox games have been alive and well in Portland, OR area ... Red Box Insider codes knock it down to $1 a night! Very CAG

IMO this entire set up was a fail, and something that makes it an even bigger fail is that they stock too few games. I think Black Ops popped up at one of my Redboxes like 2 weeks after it came out. Come on now, that's just too late.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']IMO this entire set up was a fail, and something that makes it an even bigger fail is that they stock too few games. I think Black Ops popped up at one of my Redboxes like 2 weeks after it came out. Come on now, that's just too late.[/QUOTE]
You're a cag and can't wait 2 weeks to play a game?

[quote name='sixghost']You're a cag and can't wait 2 weeks to play a game?[/QUOTE]

Its not about that, I've waited a whoooooooole lot longer then that to play games I was interested it, I'm just saying the way Redbox ran this entire setup was not very good. I don't know if it has to do with communication troubles with publishers or what, but why can't the games section of Redbox be run like the movies of Redbox are? Games are selectively picked to be put into Redboxes, and even then only some Redboxes will get those games in a timely matter. Others will have to wait weeks. Also, why isn't the games page of Redbox.com up yet? Its still a hidden page...?

[quote name='super_dawn']....ugh...still no game rb's in tampa. :([/QUOTE]

It expands as far as Winter Haven and Auberndale, surprised they haven't expanded further west yet. We've had them in this area since April or May.

I've been using Redbox for games for a while now and I really like it. Make sure you find promotional codes online and it will only cost you $1 for a night.

I took someones advice and if I am coming home after midnight I stop and rent a game and get it for 2 nights for $1. I know you can't beat all games in 1-2 nights but if it is a game you are on the fence about or want to try before you waste a possible $60 this is a great option.

I wish they added more games but I know they are playing it safe with only the hot titles.

I live 5 minutes outside of Boston and didn't get any results on the search feature : /

[quote name='NEP']I live 5 minutes outside of Boston and didn't get any results on the search feature : /[/QUOTE]

Is the search thing even up yet? When I last checked it just showed all locations no matter what game you were trying to look up.

Depending on how much you rent games and how many days you keep those said games, you are most likely way better off signing up for a monthly Gamefly subscription than paying $2 a night. I just don't see why people are going so crazy about this new service... Am I missing something here?

[quote name='MaelstromB']Depending on how much you rent games and how many days you keep those said games, you are most likely way better off signing up for a monthly Gamefly subscription than paying $2 a night. I just don't see why people are going so crazy about this new service... Am I missing something here?[/QUOTE]
QFT
My brother has gamefly and when he gets a game in for me I usually give him $3 for a week (GF is ~ $2-$2.50 a week)

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']QFT
My brother has gamefly and when he gets a game in for me I usually give him $3 for a week (GF is ~ $2-$2.50 a week)[/QUOTE]

Gamefly isn't as GREAT a deal as people try to make it out to be, what with their waiting lists for more popular games and the fact that they straddle when they're shipping games out.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Gamefly isn't as GREAT a deal as people try to make it out to be, what with their waiting lists for more popular games and the fact that they straddle when they're shipping games out.[/QUOTE]

Totally understand your point, but truth is -- money saved is money saved. Gamefly is by no means perfect, but then again, it does offer a service with one flat rate.

And here's something else to think about -- I'm not sure about anyone else here, but with my weekly schedule (working full time, time w/ the gf, friends, etc. etc.), even a 10 hour game can take me well over a week to get through. Meaning, if I were to rent from Redbox and pay full price w/out a coupon ($2 per night), I'm looking at at least $14+ minimum just to get through that 10 hr game.

I'm not saying that Redbox's service is terrible or, by any means, pointless, as I'm sure it works out great for some people, but I am saying personally, I cannot understand how a vast majority of people find the service to be something of a "deal" -- aside from its associated convenience. However, last time I checked, there is also next to no inconvenience having to walk out to my mailbox and shove the envelope in the mail and wait a few days for my next game. In fact, I do it all the time with movies through Netflix's service, and I've never found it to be an issue. Just saying...

I was looking for Spider-Man SD at the Redboxes across from me and they didn't have any.

I did find Goldeneye for the Wii so I rented that instead. It's a pretty fun game. I wish they used Sean Bean for 006 again. This new guy looks/talks like a tool.

anyone know how it works when you return a game, can you rent it again at that exact moment?

That would make it so you can re-rent it with another code.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']anyone know how it works when you return a game, can you rent it again at that exact moment?

That would make it so you can re-rent it with another code.[/QUOTE]

I don't think you can re-rent the same copy, but I'm not sure. In any case, if you use a different code you should be able to rent the game again.

I have re-rented the copy before. Paid $2 for 4 days. Can't beat that but you have to be willing drive to the Redbox to return it.

I love how people compare this to Gamefly. 2 completely services and 1 sucks and the other can be a money pit if you are lazy about returning the games. I had Gamefly and frankly it is a money pit if you think of it. Yoy pay at least 17 a month for maybe a handful of games if that a month that more than likely aren't hit titles are or old already. Shipping time sucks. And don't try and say that Gamefly is all that because to many people that experience the same crap. And I had a Gamefly center 35 mintues to where I live and it still took a week.

I have yet to have a problem finding a game on Redbox although not much a selection but always have a game in stock. Soon enough Redbox will start to offer more.

[quote name='sjea0124']And don't try and say that Gamefly is all[/QUOTE]

Using 'hip" lingo from the '90s doesn't help your point much. I love GameFly, by the way.

[quote name='Thekrakrabbit']Gamefly isn't as GREAT a deal as people try to make it out to be, what with their waiting lists for more popular games and the fact that they straddle when they're shipping games out.[/QUOTE]
The word you were searching for is "throttle," not straddle.

bread's done
Back