[Updated] Redbox Renting Video Games: $2 per Night

MInes51

CAGiversary!
As the title says, I'm not 100% if this is all red boxes, but it sounds like it's either a really good idea or a really bad idea. Either way when they start selling the excess stock like they do for the movies, there probably will be some deals to be had. Just a heads up.

Games out for the 360
Fable 3
Halo Reach
Fallout: New Vegas
Medal of Honor
Enslaved
NBA 2K11
Dead Rising 2
Spiderman Shattered Dimensions
Mafia 2
Kane and Lynch 2

Games out for PS3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
Fallout New Vegas
Medal of Honor
Enslaved NBA 2K11
Dead Rising 2
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
Mafia 2
Kane and Lynch 2

Games out for Wii
Family party 90
Deca Sports 3
WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2011
NBA Jam
New Carnival Games
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions
Metroid: Other M

No games currently out for DS or PS2, altough there seems to be plans got them.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be great for a game you just wanted to try it and see how you liked it before buying it. I'm not a big demo guy, so if there was something I'm iffy on, I'd definitely try this. And also like I'm not a big Halo guy, but I have some friends who are, so I could rent Reach for a night and play with them for a couple of bucks.

when the fuck is this coming to the east coast?(MA- Boston specifically)

:( this would be great for NBA Jam wii since i want to try before i buy it and a red box is minutes from my house.

smh redbox

I've got about 4 Redboxes within a 10 mile radius of me. However, I'm going to go ahead and assume we WON'T be getting this Redbox 2.0 update any time soon. We get EVERYTHING months-years later than everyone else in this country. Ugh..

Looks like I have tons of locations near me offering games. This is great for a weekend where I have the urge to play something new but don't want to throw down a ton of money to buy the whole game. For instance: maybe my stupid friends buy COD Black Ops. Being the intelligent person I am, I refuse to buy the game, but find them all playing it together on the weekend. Maybe I want to join them for a day or two, so I stop by my RedBox and pick up a copy to play for the day, but then I realize how much the game sucks, and return it without any remorse as it only cost me 2 bucks.

Yep, that's exactly how I see it going down lol.

yeah, i saw this at my local 7-11 redbox on saturday morning. they had about 8 games for rent. i saw halo reach, dead rising 2, metroid other m and a few more. cant remember the rest off the top of my head. might go and get dead rising 2 later.

[quote name='akokonas']It should still work. Before you rent enter promo code and its gonna automatically deduct 1.00 from the purchase, thats what i do for blurays and they cost me .50 cents. It only works once per account though. Also if you have an iphone or a android phone download the redbox codes app its free. Sometimes people post a code that actually works.[/QUOTE]
'
You're correct, if you do it that way it works.

Hmm, would try this if you could return discs by mail like Netflix.

Having to go back to the store to return, no thanks.

Went by one near me the had the New Carnival Games for Wii, Enslaved for PS3, and for 360 they had Enslaved, NBA 2K11, Halo Reach, Dead Rising 2, Fallout New Vegas, and something else I cant recall

Did you actually use the screen and search of just look at the titles on the side marquee? Mine didnt have a thing on the marquee but when I searched for them there was a section for games.

Yeah I'm liking this idea. My only possible complaint would be the distinct lack of PS3 games in the machines. For anyone that has seen the selection - was it mostly 360 games, or a good mix?

I hope this works out well for them, and ends up lowering the price of Gamefly or forces their hand to open more distro centers.

[quote name='jupiterjones']Yeah I'm liking this idea. My only possible complaint would be the distinct lack of PS3 games in the machines. For anyone that has seen the selection - was it mostly 360 games, or a good mix?[/QUOTE]

The one closest to me was one wii one PS3 and like 5 360 games.

[quote name='PDJ']Looks like I have tons of locations near me offering games. This is great for a weekend where I have the urge to play something new but don't want to throw down a ton of money to buy the whole game. For instance: maybe my stupid friends buy COD Black Ops. Being the intelligent person I am, I refuse to buy the game, but find them all playing it together on the weekend. Maybe I want to join them for a day or two, so I stop by my RedBox and pick up a copy to play for the day, but then I realize how much the game sucks, and return it without any remorse as it only cost me 2 bucks.

Yep, that's exactly how I see it going down lol.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your opinion on a game that has nothing to do with this thread. You rock so much man.

Doesn't seem like the ones I visit have games, yet.

As someone mentioned before, the "free" rental codes for movies work on Blu-rays by deducting $1, thus making it a $.50 rental. Hopefully, they will also work with games in a similar fashion. And you can use codes once per credit card, so if you have a couple of credit cards and a debit card issued by your bank, you can use the codes a bunch of times. The two codes that pretty much work universally right now are DVDONME and BREAKROOM. There are also some store-specific codes. Lastly, if you sign up on their site for their text messages, they will text you a unique code for yourself on the first Monday of every month.

Saw this last week as I was returning Robin Hood to the Redbox a block away from me, pretty good selection..NBA 2K11, Halo Reach, Dead Rising 2, Enslaved..thats all I can remember.

It will actually say outside that it rents games, if you redbox only has movies on the poster outside then it probably wont have any game.

I rented Enslaved earlier tonight thanks to this thread. Didn't see the promo codes, but I'll definitely use one next time I go. Thanks. :)

For those wondering about new releases, Fable 3 is now listed on the site but other new releases like Star Wars and Sims 3 are not on the site. I will go check out a store near me and see if I can snag me a copy of Fable 3 using a rental code. Wish me luck.

Edit: No luck on the Fable 3

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']For those wondering about new releases, Fable 3 is now listed on the site but other new releases like Star Wars and Sims 3 are not on the site. I will go check out a store near me and see if I can snag me a copy of Fable 3 using a rental code. Wish me luck.

Edit: No luck on the Fable 3[/QUOTE]

Couldn't find Fable 3 either buddy. I think Redbox is still trying to get everything together.

They don't even have a button for games on their main website (you need to go and find the hidden link via search), they don't put all the new releases up on the page, and not all the locations that says has games actually has games yet.

Picked up NBA 2K11 and Halo Reach at a redbox here in Charlotte, NC. Wish there was a better selection of games, but this IS brand new, so I won't fret.

Hmm, the Redbox across the street from my house carries games according to the website, but I didn't see any signage on the unit when I walked past it a couple days ago. Something like this is perfect for a game like Enslaved or Spider Man: SD since they should only take a day or two to finish. I think I'll check it out this weekend.

[quote name='miriamleo']Just rent Enslaved today, see if I can beat it in a day :0[/QUOTE]

I did. You can get 36 hours or so if you get the game early in the morning. Inside boxes give you until 9:00 p.m. the next day.

Updated the first post with a list of games currently available at the redbox locations. Hopefully this helps some people out.

[quote name='TheBomb69']I did. You can get 36 hours or so if you get the game early in the morning. Inside boxes give you until 9:00 p.m. the next day.[/QUOTE]

I did it!
I rent it on Thursday around noon with a $1 off code (the ones you guys mentioned), started playing it around 3pm. I didn't even do a marathon session, I drop in and out during play time to do other stuffs.

The game is pretty short, and each chapter is less than 30 mins. So I finished it around 5pm Friday, and return it before 9pm. I wanted to play this game a lot but not for $60, now I beat it for $1.

The next short game I want to get is Kirby's Epic Yarn, see if they will have it later.

I rented Enslaved last night when I got done with work, used BREAKROOM. Hit a glitch in Chapter 7 which kept me from getting any further, got frustrated, and took it back today. It was good up to that point, though.

Got Fable III today at a different location and used DVDKROG (supposedly only valid at Kroger locations, but I suspect it has a chance of working elsewhere). Seems like a pretty good deal for a weekend or day off when you can get a lot of value out of it.

Also, this site has codes listings. Looks like there's only about 3 that almost everyone could use and are still valid. http://www.insideredbox.com/redbox-codes/

One just opened 2 minutes from my house last week so I was really hoping it would have games, but nay... picked up How to Train your Dragon on Blu Ray though for .50 so I guess I can't complain from my first Red Box experience.

Awesome thanks for the info! I was hoping they would have Castlevania at Redbox but Ive wanted to play enslaved and shattered dimensions

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I believe tomorrow is when tons of Redbox codes will come out. Usually the first Monday of the month.[/QUOTE]

Those are unique codes, though, that they text everyone who is signed up. They aren't multi-use, like DVDONME.

Got to try out Fable 3 and Fallout NV. Pretty cool to rent em for a day. See if they're worth waiting for on my Gamefly account.

[quote name='WordLife565']Picked up NBA 2K11 and Halo Reach at a redbox here in Charlotte, NC. Wish there was a better selection of games, but this IS brand new, so I won't fret.[/QUOTE]

Did you happen to see MOH at that redbox. I have been trying to find that one but can find everything but

Rented Kane & Lynch 2 3PM Saturday night using DVDONME, beat it 7:30 PM that same day (it really is short). Then I didn't play it after that and just returned it today (Sunday) at 8:30 pm.

It sucks too because I rented Enslaved from Blockbuster just two days before the Redbox offer was available...

From what I have read of a few random posts, not many people are thinking about this in a good light.

Rent a game at 5pm for $2. Play it for a few hours before bed. In the morning, either play it a little more or take it back. If you didn't take it back wait till after work/school, play a little more. Take it back before 5.

Bam. Now you have played anywhere from 3-10 hours of whatever game. That is more than enough to consider fully purchasing the game in the future.

Tried this over the weekend and loved it. Got NBA2K11, played it for a few hours until I had my fill, then returned it. Total cost: $2.11. Without RedBox I would have bought it at near full price, played it for a few hours over a couple weeks, and traded it in to Amazon for a total cost of ~$20.

I rented Enslaved on Saturday, beat it Sunday afternoon. Total cost $2.19. It was the perfect rental game. The Red Box only had about 6 games one of which was Fallout new Vegas. I just cant see renting that though.

I'd rent Fallout New Vegas because I've never played a Fallout game before and I want to find out if I like it. Would buy Fallout 3 if so. NV if I ever finish F3. So, yeah, somebody would rent it. Me. Unfortunately Red Box games don't seem to have come to my area yet.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Because it's the cheapest way to rent video games nationwide.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but I would encourage anyone with a Family Video (if available) to check out their rentals if they think they want a game for more than 2 days.

1 day rental = $2.99 (boo)
2 day rental = $3.99 (same)
5 day rental = $6.99 ($1.40 per day)

bread's done
Back