Valkyria Chronicles 2 - Out Now

[quote name='Lord_Zath']problem is I'm looking to use these on a trans-pacific flight, which means at least 13 hours before I can recharge. I probably would be gaming for a solid 6-7 hours, but even so from what I read the PSP is only 3-4 hours at best :(. Plus in order to play multiplayer games, we'd need two copies - the DS it seems only needs one copy...[/QUOTE]

If you have a PSP-2000 (or maybe 3000 not sure if it works on that one or not) you should look into getting the extended (fat) battery pack. The charge on that lasts 8-10 hours.

[quote name='surak']Some international flights have power outlets even in economy class.[/QUOTE]

There is a site called "Seat Guru" be sure to give it a look and plan accordingly.

I think youll also find that you wont use the PSP nearly as much as you think. Between books, laptop, on-plane entertainment and sleeping the battery life is usually sufficient. If you have a layover, just be sure to grab a seat in the terminal by an outlet.

yeah tbh it really ticks me off that they went psp for this. regardless of how much I like the game, I'm not going to buy a PSP just for this...

[quote name='2DMention']How's the demo? I still haven't played the first one... I still think it's weird that the sequel is on PSP...[/QUOTE]

If it's the same as the japanese demo, then it's basically the first little bit of gameplay that the game offers like the original games demo. It showcases how the battle system has changed and gives you very short introduction to the main characters.

[quote name='Lord_Zath']yeah tbh it really ticks me off that they went psp for this. regardless of how much I like the game, I'm not going to buy a PSP just for this...[/QUOTE]

They did it so it would hopefully sell more copies in Japan. It didn't really turn out that way, barring a Greatest Hits' release.

I played the Tutorial mission, got an A-rank on it (Beating the enemy on their turn = priceless). I guess I'll try the Mission next.

I also ran through the demo earlier today. The slightly blockier graphics are only to be expected, but the characters are still animated very nicely. The only real noticeable graphical difference is in the foliage (namely, the grass in which units can be hidden in looks pretty bad) and pixellation on the vehicle (tanks) textures.

The gameplay is pretty much exactly the same-- players of the original game will note that switching weapons is done only while aiming now as opposed to on the fly (because the Square button is now used to stop time and aim instead of R1), and cuts to ragdolling enemies after kills are much less frequent.

Some other things I noticed so far are the sniper rifles only having two levels of zoom (none and max), retreating units to within camps can now be done using a VERY useful 0 Command Point (CP) command called "Standby" (instead of having to waste a CP selecting a unit RIGHT in the base camp already just to walk the few feet to the flag and hit Retreat), tanks can be retreated into the reserves and deployed again (probably due to the scale of the game being different, with missions being divided over several small areas instead of one large map), and most usefully, deploying reinforcements from camps is now instant and you immediately take control of the unit being deployed. (As such, it still costs the appropriate amount of CP to summon reinforcements, so deploying a tank from a camp still costs 2 CP)

Curiously, even though one of the repeatedly-confirmed parts of the game being "Snipers being an upgrade to the Scout class instead of their own class now", both Scouts and Snipers are selectable units in the demo. I'm thinking that how that works is that instead of having all units of a class upgrade into another class when they get enough EXP poured into them, individual units can choose between Scout or Sniper, though whether permanent or not, maybe someone familiar with the Japanese version of the full game can shed some light on that?

tl;dr game seems to be an improved version of the original's system with lesser graphics, definitely worth at least trying the demo to see if it's your thing.

Felt a bit watered down to me. I think I'll pass on this until it's real cheap, because I know the the good, fundamental VC gameplay is clearly still there.

Enjoyed the demo a lot. Seems like the only concession they made to get it on the PSP was to break levels up into smaller pieces that you warp between, so I hope they don't go overboard with that.

[quote name='animalspinners']K-Mart just announced their deal for this, taking place the week of 9/7:

Buy Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, get Valkyria Chronicles 2 for $19.99 plus a $10 coupon for a future game purchase.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7521247&postcount=4766

Great deal if you were planning on getting Kingdom Hearts as well and can wait a week after VC 2 hits.[/QUOTE]
No I don't want to buy Weeaboo Hearts, sorry Kmart.

in truth when I tried the demo, it didn't wow me away
but then again I will only take it as a small sample of what to expect.
not to say it wasn't bad
still excited for this game though :)

[quote name='Dead of Knight']No I don't want to buy Weeaboo Hearts, sorry Kmart.[/QUOTE]

Luckily, the K-Mart rep has a poll up on what kind of deal we want to see with VC 2 - the bundle I talked about earlier, or a $15 no strings attached discount.

The $15 option is winning by a large amount... so chances are good the new deal is going to be $24.99 (the week after release, I believe).

[quote name='animalspinners']Luckily, the K-Mart rep has a poll up on what kind of deal we want to see with VC 2 - the bundle I talked about earlier, or a $15 no strings attached discount.

The $15 option is winning by a large amount... so chances are good the new deal is going to be $24.99 (the week after release, I believe).[/QUOTE]

Definitely waiting a week then!!

I will be too pre-occupied with Metroid Other M anyways :D

[quote name='blueweltall']Anyone no if there is going to be a strategy guide for this game?[/QUOTE]

There's not one listed on Amazon or Gamestop so it looks like no.

For anyone who's not keeping up with the Community BLiTZ's on Sega's blog, you should really be keeping up with the Community BLiTZ's on Sega's blog. They're detailing a lot of the new features that're going into VC2, and it's really helping to sell me on the game (that is, if I wasn't sold on it since I heard about it).

Contests are none-to-shabby either. They've put up DLC codes, VC1 Pre-order artbooks, figurines, and such.

I just bought the first game recently used for 20 bucks. Its really fun, I have to get around playing the Demo of this after I am done playing the first game.

[quote name='2DMention']Played the demo. Seems like it's the same as the first game.[/QUOTE]

I don't remember liking the demo for the first one at all, but I loved the actual game. There's just a good bit they can't show in the demo. The community blitz thing going on is pretty decent for bringing people up to speed on what's going to be in VC2.

In particular, I'm liking how everything seems much more customizable. The tank, for example, can either be a lumbering behemoth, an APC, or something better for killing infantry. Units now have upgrade trees, with each class having four end classes.

The only thing that left me scared was how small the maps seemed. I know the PSP has technical limitations, but I feel like I'm going to miss the large battlegrounds from the first game.

Thank you to whomever recommended the blog. I hate Sega's management with a passion (and the only Sega system I ever owned was the Game Gear) but it's clear to see the marketing people give a whoot about the company.

Although that doesn't explain their ANEMIC showing at PAX Prime 09 and PAX East 10. Glad to see their finally putting up an effort at PAX Prime 10, of course when I'm not going. :(

Anyone want more info on the game, check out this podcast. Sega community manager comes in to talk about the game for almost an hour (skip to the 43 minute mark). A lot of stuff on the improvements (particularly the new class system) and a lot of details on the game's multiplayer (sadly seems to be local multi only, but seems there's a lot to it).

[quote name='ZxT Vendetta']Definitely waiting a week then!!

I will be too pre-occupied with Metroid Other M anyways :D[/QUOTE]

Just wanted to pop back in here and let you all know the poll ended and now it's official. $24.99 at K-Mart lasting the week of 9/5.

Was going to pass because $40 is too steep for any PSP game for me, but $25 hits the spot.

Okay, so I took a listen to that podcast and took some horrible notes. Some of them are things already covered on the SEGA Blog's Community BlitZ thing, but some of them weren't. Because I didn't really organize these, I'll put them under a spoiler tag.
INCOMING LARGE TEXT DUMP UNDER SPOILER
$20 sale on VC1 nearly blew sales numbers past original launch

Put on PS3 because PSP is huge in Japan
See: Phantasy Star Portable
Younger+older market "broaden the fanbase"
Japanese sales increased along with Western sales
SEGA worried about piracy problem?: DRM kills series
Valve is a good example of a company that understands DRM
PSP means that the game can be offered at a lower price ($40 rather than $60)
Sony: Niche system, niche games, niche games

"Will the series ever return to PS3" "Not a question I can comment on" "Buy the game."

?What's changed about the CANVAS engine?:
Battle system/maps are the same
Top down 3D view (CANVAS system) for exploring the academy campus
Let the demo sit at the title screen to see daytime/nighttime progression
Anime-styled cutscenes for a younger audience
Avan/Cosette are optimistic and cheery while Zeri is jaded

?Biggest improvement in VC2 over the first game?: Multiplayer
Two modes:

Co-op mode: Having trouble with a story mission, second player can use their higher level squad to assist first player in completion
Simultaneous actions
4 player ad-hoc co-op
Versus mode:
Handicap settings
Selection of different missions
4-player ad-hoc (team battles)
You use your own squad for multiplayer

Difficulty of VC2?:
Easy/Normal selection at beginning of game, multiplayer if you get stuck (recommended to pick Easy if you got stuck at 7)

?How is saving progress handled?:
Option to save after every mission
Cannot save mid-mission
Missions vary in length, mostly shorter than first game
1. Sleep mode to pause
2. Mission are shorter
"No battles where the minimum amount of turns is NINE" [laughter]

DLC for the game expected, unknown release date
Two skirmish battles if preordered at Gamestop
Get DLC out for free or offer it to everyone at a later date
Looking to put most of DLC out for free for fans
Not so much new missions but new
DLC for the western release that wasn't in Japanese version
"No one should be penalized for supporting the game"

?Are the cross game unlockables for Phantasy Star Portable going to be available in the U.S. version?:
Yes.
"If you buy Phantasy Star Portable 2 and have save data for it
Unlocks PSP2 character Emilia as squad member
Tank sticker of Little Wing, PSP2 organization
Stickers are buffs for your squad tank
Two missions

Vice versa bonuses for VC2 save data in PSP2 not confirmed

Melee class: Armored Tech
Hybrid between defense and support
Disarms landmines and rebuilds sandbags instead of Engineers

Classes level up into different classes
e.g. Scout: Scout Veteran or Sniper, each of those has two additional classes as well

Armored Tech can set landmines for a certain class progression
Massive sword for melee class progression, slow and powerful

Shield will block all normal bullets, unit can be used as cover for other units
Stats are adjusted for new classes (Scouts becoming Snipers have lowered movement so they aren't broken)

Shocktroopers:
Advanced Machinegun or Flamethrower route

Not spoiling endgame class stuff

Scouts were broken at elite status due to rifle grenades
Scouts must specialize in rifle grenades

Classes are balanced, Scouts are no longer broken.

Level up as a class, class customization is by-character
Individual units earn medals/awards based on mission use
Play the characters you want, they get rewarded, you shape them how you want

Potential system, characters "Likes" lists remain

Game is a darker than it seems, like the first game's Darcsen racism
Follow a sidestory for every character in your squad as you use them, unlock more dialogue, use even more, unlock mission, beat mission, unlock hidden potential

References to the first game? If jumping into the story, worth it to go back to first game
Yes, returning characters minor role in story Welkin/Alicia. Original voice actors
Princess Cordelia returns as prominent figure in second game, second game's plot is based heavily because of her

Non-canon unlockable bonus characters

History book story telling style is still present but no longer as prominent

Replay story missions?
Story missions become free missions, trying to get better rankings

Month system instead of chapters
Play all missions in a month, advance to next month

Epic level battles in VCII
Yes. Cannot spoil. "It's on PSP, not going to be anything epic" "Think again"

Controlling a Valkyria in the progression of the story?:
Cannot confirm or deny, powers of Valkyrur play a big part in the story, artifical Valkyrur

?European release getting a special edition"
Unknown, probably not, if there is, SEGA blog/Twitter
Community Manager isn't really the first person they go to to tell sequel plans

?Diverse cast of characters from all walks of life, oh no school setting
"It's not a high school, it's a military academy. Age range varies from young to old just like first game,30 years old
Journal in Avan's room at academy with information on characters just like in the first game's Book Mode
Over 30 different playable characters not counting unlockables

"Any thoughts on the abortion that is the anime?"
"They killed Vyse and I was horrified"
Rieko Kodama was mad, commented "next game, she was going to kill Hans"
Anime aimed at a different audience, but some people bought the game based on the anime
Everyone has a different opinion
Increased awareness of the series, so he's glad about what the anime has done on that front

Lack of trophies:
He has been asking the developers for trophies repeatedly
Never as easy as it seems (referring to trophy patch)
Answer received from the developers: Compared to messing with the foundations of a house, involves changing core game code, and thus potentially creating bugs/other problems

Return of Isara, Faldio, Maximillian?
Yes

Action ending is now instant and without confirmation using the Start button to minimize units getting hurt/killed by fire when ending an action, similiar problem with taking fire while bringing weapon up to Aim also minimized

EDIT: It says so on the site for the podcast itself, but the guy they were speaking to was Aaron Webber from SEGA's Community Management Team.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Asperatus']Okay, so I took a listen to that podcast and took some horrible notes. Some of them are things already covered on the SEGA Blog's Community BlitZ thing, but some of them weren't. Because I didn't really organize these, I'll put them under a spoiler tag.
INCOMING LARGE TEXT DUMP UNDER SPOILER
$20 sale on VC1 nearly blew sales numbers past original launch

Put on PS3 because PSP is huge in Japan
See: Phantasy Star Portable
Younger+older market "broaden the fanbase"
Japanese sales increased along with Western sales
SEGA worried about piracy problem?: DRM kills series
Valve is a good example of a company that understands DRM
PSP means that the game can be offered at a lower price ($40 rather than $60)
Sony: Niche system, niche games, niche games

"Will the series ever return to PS3" "Not a question I can comment on" "Buy the game."

?What's changed about the CANVAS engine?:
Battle system/maps are the same
Top down 3D view (CANVAS system) for exploring the academy campus
Let the demo sit at the title screen to see daytime/nighttime progression
Anime-styled cutscenes for a younger audience
Avan/Cosette are optimistic and cheery while Zeri is jaded

?Biggest improvement in VC2 over the first game?: Multiplayer
Two modes:

Co-op mode: Having trouble with a story mission, second player can use their higher level squad to assist first player in completion
Simultaneous actions
4 player ad-hoc co-op
Versus mode:
Handicap settings
Selection of different missions
4-player ad-hoc (team battles)
You use your own squad for multiplayer

Difficulty of VC2?:
Easy/Normal selection at beginning of game, multiplayer if you get stuck (recommended to pick Easy if you got stuck at 7)

?How is saving progress handled?:
Option to save after every mission
Cannot save mid-mission
Missions vary in length, mostly shorter than first game
1. Sleep mode to pause
2. Mission are shorter
"No battles where the minimum amount of turns is NINE" [laughter]

DLC for the game expected, unknown release date
Two skirmish battles if preordered at Gamestop
Get DLC out for free or offer it to everyone at a later date
Looking to put most of DLC out for free for fans
Not so much new missions but new
DLC for the western release that wasn't in Japanese version
"No one should be penalized for supporting the game"

?Are the cross game unlockables for Phantasy Star Portable going to be available in the U.S. version?:
Yes.
"If you buy Phantasy Star Portable 2 and have save data for it
Unlocks PSP2 character Emilia as squad member
Tank sticker of Little Wing, PSP2 organization
Stickers are buffs for your squad tank
Two missions

Vice versa bonuses for VC2 save data in PSP2 not confirmed

Melee class: Armored Tech
Hybrid between defense and support
Disarms landmines and rebuilds sandbags instead of Engineers

Classes level up into different classes
e.g. Scout: Scout Veteran or Sniper, each of those has two additional classes as well

Armored Tech can set landmines for a certain class progression
Massive sword for melee class progression, slow and powerful

Shield will block all normal bullets, unit can be used as cover for other units
Stats are adjusted for new classes (Scouts becoming Snipers have lowered movement so they aren't broken)

Shocktroopers:
Advanced Machinegun or Flamethrower route

Not spoiling endgame class stuff

Scouts were broken at elite status due to rifle grenades
Scouts must specialize in rifle grenades

Classes are balanced, Scouts are no longer broken.

Level up as a class, class customization is by-character
Individual units earn medals/awards based on mission use
Play the characters you want, they get rewarded, you shape them how you want

Potential system, characters "Likes" lists remain

Game is a darker than it seems, like the first game's Darcsen racism
Follow a sidestory for every character in your squad as you use them, unlock more dialogue, use even more, unlock mission, beat mission, unlock hidden potential

References to the first game? If jumping into the story, worth it to go back to first game
Yes, returning characters minor role in story Welkin/Alicia. Original voice actors
Princess Cordelia returns as prominent figure in second game, second game's plot is based heavily because of her

Non-canon unlockable bonus characters

History book story telling style is still present but no longer as prominent

Replay story missions?
Story missions become free missions, trying to get better rankings

Month system instead of chapters
Play all missions in a month, advance to next month

Epic level battles in VCII
Yes. Cannot spoil. "It's on PSP, not going to be anything epic" "Think again"

Controlling a Valkyria in the progression of the story?:
Cannot confirm or deny, powers of Valkyrur play a big part in the story, artifical Valkyrur

?European release getting a special edition"
Unknown, probably not, if there is, SEGA blog/Twitter
Community Manager isn't really the first person they go to to tell sequel plans

?Diverse cast of characters from all walks of life, oh no school setting
"It's not a high school, it's a military academy. Age range varies from young to old just like first game,30 years old
Journal in Avan's room at academy with information on characters just like in the first game's Book Mode
Over 30 different playable characters not counting unlockables

Anime aimed at a different audience, but some people bought the game based on the anime
Everyone has a different opinion
Increased awareness of the series, so he's glad about what the anime has done on that front

Lack of trophies:
He has been asking the developers for trophies repeatedly
Never as easy as it seems (referring to trophy patch)
Answer received from the developers: Compared to messing with the foundations of a house, involves changing core game code, and thus potentially creating bugs/other problems

Return of Isara, Faldio, Maximillian?
Yes

Action ending is now instant and without confirmation using the Start button to minimize units getting hurt/killed by fire when ending an action, similiar problem with taking fire while bringing weapon up to Aim also minimized
[/QUOTE]

I laughed so hard at this part

Thanks for taking the time to write the notes -- I can't wait till tomorrow!!!

Are there any extra non-game stuff being offered, such as artwork book, for pre-ordering VC2? Gamestop is offering extra class missions.

Amazon has it listed as...

Temporarily out of stock.
Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Q9RG9K/

Maybe this is a good sign? :bouncy:
I'm eating lunch then going to Gamestop to pick up my copy. I'm excited! :whee:

[quote name='Josh5890']Impressed by the 9.0 on IGn. I'll pick it up Sunday when Kmart has it on sale for $25.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on the Kmart deal. Didn't expect to see a sale on this game this soon.

[quote name='Ryuukishi']Good sign? They haven't shipped my preorder yet-- they better not run out of copies. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

If it sells well they might make a third one. I hope this is a sign that it sold better than they expected.

If they ran out for you, you could go to Gamestop or buy it cheaper at K-Mart on Saturday (9/4). Amazon isn't getting more until September 3rd.

[quote name='skyknight']Are there any extra non-game stuff being offered, such as artwork book, for pre-ordering VC2? Gamestop is offering extra class missions.[/QUOTE]

That is the only preorder deal for VC 2. If you don't have a bunch of Gamestop, Amazon, or some other store credit, then get it at KMart for $25 next week.

I have my copy. If you're getting it at Gamestop, MAKE SURE you get your DLC code. Gamestop is changing to a system that the code prints out on the receipt and not a physical card. For the code to print out, whomever is working the register has to put some type of coupon code in to get it to print out. Remember all Gamestop managers in the country are at the company convention right now, so the highest up person you'll deal with at a store is the asst. manager currently.

There is an install option like many other PSP games, takes 436 MB. The extras section has options of link data, password, and content list. Under content list, there are options for characters, missions, and stickers.

Kinda troubled by the opening cinematic, before you start the game, seems to not take into consideration the revelations of the Darcens and Valkyria from VC 1. Maybe that changes once you start the game. Welkin, Alicia, and Princess (now Archduchess?) Cordelia, without hat, are visable briefly in the cinematic.

When you start the game, you get a choice of easy or normal difficulty. Much like the Persona games, it cannot be changed once you start. Also you can only have 4 save slots now, and you can no longer save the game mid-mission like in VC 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='MSUHitman']That is the only preorder deal for VC 2. If you don't have a bunch of Gamestop, Amazon, or some other store credit, then get it at KMart for $25 next week.

I have my copy. If you're getting it at Gamestop, MAKE SURE you get your DLC code. Gamestop is changing to a system that the code prints out on the receipt and not a physical card. For the code to print out, whomever is working the register has to put some type of coupon code in to get it to print out. Remember all Gamestop managers in the country are at the company convention right now, so the highest up person you'll deal with at a store is the asst. manager currently.

There is an install option like many other PSP games, takes 436 MB. The extras section has options of link data, password, and content list. Under content list, there are options for characters, missions, and stickers.

Kinda troubled by the opening cinematic, before you start the game, seems to not take into consideration the revelations of the Darcens and Valkyria from VC 1. Maybe that changes once you start the game. Welkin, Alicia, and Princess (now Archduchess?) Cordelia, without hat, are visable briefly in the cinematic.

When you start the game, you get a choice of easy or normal difficulty. Much like the Persona games, it cannot be changed once you start. Also you can only have 4 save slots now, and you can no longer save the game mid-mission like in VC 1.[/QUOTE]

I've been enjoying the first couple of hours. It looks like the game is going to be composed of more smaller missions instead of big long missions. Which kind of makes sense for a portable title and the PSP's limitations.

The areas are smaller than in the original game and the levels are split into regions like in Sakura Wars. To move to new areas, you take the first area base and put your guys on standby. From there you can select that character in the new area.

The level up system is mostly the same, but I think the level cap is higher. To specialize a character, you have to complete certain tasks in missions (a certain number of kills, ect). One sort of weird thing is that the sniper is now a scout specialty. (So you don't start the game with any snipers)

Overall, the only bad part is that there are too many tutorial levels, but for the most part I'm really enjoying it. :bouncy:

[quote name='Dead of Knight']So for the people who have it: Did you get it at Shitstop or something? I need to cancel my Amazon order if it's not going to come by Thursday.[/QUOTE]

I pre-ordered it from my local Gamestop because I wanted to get it today and I wanted the DLC.

[quote name='KillerRamen']I pre-ordered it from my local Gamestop because I wanted to get it today and I wanted the DLC.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just went to my local GS and got their last copy. No DLC but I didn't care about that. I just needed to get it before I leave Friday, and my UPS guy usually comes later in the day. Amazon order has been canceled.

bread's done
Back