Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive (English Art Book) $28.41

KillerRamen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
So I was looking on Amazon to see if they were going to have a guide for Valkyria Chronicles 2, but they had a Valkyria Chronicles artbook listed instead at $17 off the list price!

It's listed as having 400 pages, so it's probably the same thing as the Valkyria: Development Artworks (Japanese) book except a lot cheaper and in English.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1926778162/

Publisher: Udon Entertainment (January 15, 2011)

Udon is the same company that released all of those Capcom artbooks and I have a few of them and they're really cool.

[quote name='enemyofusall']I emailed them and got a very quick response here it is:

"We should be doing a press release about the book in the next 2 weeks or so. But basically it is a localization of the 400 page Japanese book “Gallian Chronicles: Development Artworks”. Contents should be pretty much exactly the same as the Japanese version, only in English."

:)[/QUOTE]

Edit: New Lower Price: $31.49! :bouncy:

Barnes and Nobel: $33.74
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/e/9781926778167/?itm=3&USRI=valkyria+chronicles

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinny']Considering that VC3 is going to be on PSP, I get the feeling that they won't. I'd buy a PS3 VC sequel on day one but on the PSP, I'll pass. Couldn't stand playing VC2 on the PSP.

Oh well, at least they're bringing over Yakuza 4 to the US.[/QUOTE]

Still can't believe they didn't release Colors on PS3/360 since most people agreed it was good.

Ah well.

And on topic this books looks great.

You know what I've found with the few artbooks I have and sometimes strat guides, I don't know how to really appreciate them. Do you guys scan images and use on your computer? Take pictures? Peruse through on the toilet? Look through it with a friend? Funny question, but I was curious.

[quote name='Vortextk']You know what I've found with the few artbooks I have and sometimes strat guides, I don't know how to really appreciate them. Do you guys scan images and use on your computer? Take pictures? Peruse through on the toilet? Look through it with a friend? Funny question, but I was curious.[/QUOTE]

coffee table material for friends... but VC book is too precious so it will go to my private library instead.

[quote name='Antipodes']Is the Okami book sold new anywhere that isn't marked up? I played Okami last year on Wii and loved it.[/QUOTE]

For some reasonable prices, you might want to try Barnes & Noble or eCampus. I managed to pick it up at a fantastic price thanks to an Amazon mistake months ago; the prices people are asking for it now are ridiculous.

[quote name='Vortextk']You know what I've found with the few artbooks I have and sometimes strat guides, I don't know how to really appreciate them. Do you guys scan images and use on your computer? Take pictures? Peruse through on the toilet? Look through it with a friend? Funny question, but I was curious.[/QUOTE]
It's weird. I feel like I must buy the artbooks that I'm interested in, but once I have them I'm not too interested in looking at them. I'll usually flip through, feeling obligated to get some enjoyment for my money, but there's usually a ton of art for minor characters/environments that just isn't that interesting to look at, generally.

Considering that Valkyria Chronicles already had a sketchbook look to it, seeing actual sketches of characters and environments is sort of doubling down on what made the game graphically interesting. I'm pretty hyped to get this book.

[quote name='pete5883']It's weird. I feel like I must buy the artbooks that I'm interested in, but once I have them I'm not too interested in looking at them. I'll usually flip through, feeling obligated to get some enjoyment for my money, but there's usually a ton of art for minor characters/environments that just isn't that interesting to look at, generally.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes art books are as much about the design process as they are the actual art itself and aren't always super visually stimulating. In fact, looking at the title of the Valkyria artbook, I'd say that's the case with this one. Rough sketches, line art, game environment concepts, scrapped character designs, etc. definitely aren't things that interest everyone but I personally enjoy seeing some of the process that goes behind what we get as a final product. Of course, nice, clean official art is great too :) I pull my art books out and flip through them now and again, but I totally understand the "once you've seen it, you've seen it" idea.

[quote name='Vinny']I'd buy a PS3 VC sequel on day one but on the PSP, I'll pass. [/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more. I love that the genre has seemed to thrive on the handheld systems, meaning they are not completely being ignored by publishers. But I really wish more of them would get released for the big consoles. I really dislike handhelds for the most part. I'd much rather be able to enjoy them on my big screen with surround sound and whatnot.

[quote name='pete5883']It's weird. I feel like I must buy the artbooks that I'm interested in, but once I have them I'm not too interested in looking at them. I'll usually flip through, feeling obligated to get some enjoyment for my money, but there's usually a ton of art for minor characters/environments that just isn't that interesting to look at, generally.[/QUOTE]

I'm the same way. I wind up flipping through them once or twice that first day and then add them to my bookshelves. Maybe one day when I build a house with a dedicated custom gaming room I'll have a better display method figured out heh.

Some people are collectors. I'm not however, and I view it as the same reason people create photo albums: an easy way to revisit good memories.

[quote name='thirdrose']For some reasonable prices, you might want to try Barnes & Noble or eCampus. I managed to pick it up at a fantastic price thanks to an Amazon mistake months ago; the prices people are asking for it now are ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the links! I actually came across this when researching the product today:

http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/

OKAMI: OFFICIAL COMPLETE WORKS
Many of you have asked about the sold-out Okami: Official Complete Works art book. Well worry not, as Okami: OCW will be back in stock January 2011 (plenty of time to get it before the new Okamiden sequel on Nintendo DS). So don’t pay those crazy e-bay prices! Look for an announcement here when the book is officially back in stock.
So I might hold off till Amazon gets this to avoid signing up for a new service, sales tax, and shipping fee. Hope I don't get burned on that since I loved Okami and want this book!

The okami book is fantastic. After posting my last response, I actually took it out to peruse a bit since I hardly ever have. Good god I just looked up my order. 26 bucks for it, october 08. Maybe I should take it off the bookshelf more often, haha. Well I guess middle of last year was the first time I've ever had a real "bookshelf"..

[quote name='yokofox33']I've had this thing pre-ordered since August and Amazon still hasn't adjusted my order to the 29.91 price. Lame.[/QUOTE]
Same here. Checked mine this morning.

[quote name='yokofox33']I've had this thing pre-ordered since August and Amazon still hasn't adjusted my order to the 29.91 price. Lame.[/QUOTE]

What is that gif of?

[quote name='Gamehead']What is that gif of?[/QUOTE]

I got curious too so I just google'd the file name of the gif...the group´s name is KARA.

Pretty girls! NSFW if you check out their butt dance.

[quote name='AceSam14']I got curious too so I just google'd the file name of the gif...the group´s name is KARA.

Pretty girls! NSFW if you check out their butt dance.[/QUOTE]

Thank you kind sir.

[quote name='noobeffect']Mine hasn't auto-adjusted at all and I've had the order since September.[/QUOTE]
Mine too since Sept.

I sent them an email to get my order manually adjusted. I can't simply cancel/reorder since I had used a coupon on it.

Nice. It's down what, another dollar from a week or two ago when this thread had been bumped? Mine is down to 28.41 as well, but I had just ordered earlier this month.

[quote name='eau']Mine too since Sept.

I sent them an email to get my order manually adjusted. I can't simply cancel/reorder since I had used a coupon on it.[/QUOTE]

Even if they don't automatically lower it by the time it shifts, they will give an automatic refund a couple days later.

For instance, they shipped the LittleBigPlanet 2 Collector's Edition to me at $78.99 when the price was 78.54, then gave me a .45 refund.

And even if the system messes that up, you can just e-mail customer service.

Wait, this thing has MESHFLOW?!

It doesn't look like it has any wireframe shots, just pure model, but still. That's basically the holy grail of artbooks. Not even Blizzard does that.

Take my money, Amazon.

Quick question. If it drops below $25 it won't qualify for SS-Shiping, if we pre-ordered above that price and qualified for free shipping before then will we then be charged for regular shipping?

[quote name='lurkingsalt']Quick question. If it drops below $25 it won't qualify for SS-Shiping, if we pre-ordered above that price and qualified for free shipping before then will we then be charged for regular shipping?[/QUOTE]

You won't be charged for shipping if you preorder and the price drop bleow $25. This happen to me once and I wasn't charged for shipping.

Damn, just as the price for this drops, the price for the Okami book raises. Just when it finally drops to a point where I have enough gift credits for both...

Amazon is now showing a July 11 release date. Maybe it's a placeholder as well, hope not since I was looking forward to enjoying this book this month.

[quote name='n1c0']Damn, just as the price for this drops, the price for the Okami book raises. Just when it finally drops to a point where I have enough gift credits for both...[/QUOTE]

Okami is back down again

[quote name='ssjmichael']Okami is back down again[/QUOTE]
Was in my Gold box too. Ordered for $25.07. Too bad my prime just expired.

[quote name='lurkingsalt']Amazon is now showing a July 11 release date. Maybe it's a placeholder as well, hope not since I was looking forward to enjoying this book this month.[/QUOTE]

Still showing February 10, 2011 as the delivery date for me.

Sucks about the release date being pushed back (or rather, completely unknown as of now). I really hope by time it's released that I can get cracking with Valkyria Chronicles 2. Bought it during Black Friday from Amazon and I swore I'd get to it some time this summer. My goal is to at least finish it before VC3 gets a release stateside. :p

Trying to order now, showing July 14th with Prime.

Looks like UDON will also be doing a Tony Artbook and a GUST Artbook in March and April, though if this VC book is pushed back, I doubt those will make it either.

I just got an Amazon notice that it's been delayed until July. I'd say that's great as I can't really afford it at the moment anyway, but this is one of three things I currently have preordered and paid for with giftcards.

bread's done
Back