Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive (English Art Book) $28.41

KillerRamen

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
So I was looking on Amazon to see if they were going to have a guide for Valkyria Chronicles 2, but they had a Valkyria Chronicles artbook listed instead at $17 off the list price!

It's listed as having 400 pages, so it's probably the same thing as the Valkyria: Development Artworks (Japanese) book except a lot cheaper and in English.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1926778162/

Publisher: Udon Entertainment (January 15, 2011)

Udon is the same company that released all of those Capcom artbooks and I have a few of them and they're really cool.

[quote name='enemyofusall']I emailed them and got a very quick response here it is:

"We should be doing a press release about the book in the next 2 weeks or so. But basically it is a localization of the 400 page Japanese book “Gallian Chronicles: Development Artworks”. Contents should be pretty much exactly the same as the Japanese version, only in English."

:)[/QUOTE]

Edit: New Lower Price: $31.49! :bouncy:

Barnes and Nobel: $33.74
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/e/9781926778167/?itm=3&USRI=valkyria+chronicles

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tooshorty6432168']Is there any announcement of a hard cover or are you just hoping?[/QUOTE]

Just hoping. The price on it would be $80-$100 for sure though. I think I like the series that much :D .

Mine just arrived! Ordered Aug 20, 2010. LOL. Only took, what? 348 days?

HUGE book. Very nice quality. Tons of pics and text about every facet of the game (characters, vehicles, weapons, pre-production, etc). It's nice seeing so much commentary rather than dry descriptions of items.

Mine arrived in a large cardboard box (not the svelte cardboard mailer). Bubble bladders kept it from moving up and down, but it had plenty of side to side action. Very large ding to one corner. I think I can flatten it out, though. I'm just happy to have it in hand finally!

Upon closer inspection my copy has some weird orange smears on the back in 2 different spots that are clearly visible. I'm considering sending for a replacement. Am I overreacting? I got it for almost half the price so that's a big plus. What do you guys think? I haven't opened the plastic sleeve the book comes in so this happened during packaging is my guess.

Mine came yesterday, too. Also in a box with bubble bladders though it is in pristine condition. No marks, colorings, or anything wrong with it!

The book itself is awesome. Glad I bought it when I did, and can't wait to read through all of it.

[quote name='technicalstylez']just received mine today. it came shipped in a box with bubble bladders but also it came sealed in a plastic bag. it is pristine condition. plastic bag ftw[/QUOTE]

Same

Just got my replacement in. That was fast on Amazons part. Glad I did, the box had only one small bubble wrap inside the box but surprisingly the book came in pristine condition. Can finally dedicate myself this week to looking it over since no games really come out this week.

Mine finally shipped today, from Lasership... but no tracking number. I had two things (before and after) also shipped via Lasership with a tracking number. The obstacles to getting this book will never cease.

Do to formatting not working I apologize for the wall of text. I really liked that it had the plastic sleeve. Over the last week or so I took all my art books (I admit I don't have many). Most are from CE/Pre-order bonuses but I have a FF9 and Mass Effect art book and then all my video game related books using my new Mortal Kombat CE bookends and I was just waiting for my VC artbook to arrive. It really is an amazing book. The plastic sleeve is going to be on the book at all times unless it's being read, in order to keep dust away from it. Also just looked at amazon for the VC2 art book and it's $29.40 instead of $33 so I decided to pre-order it. I am not 100% sold on it since we know nothing about its content, but I rather be safe then sorry. Just got this as a reply from Udon: The Valkyria 2 book will be the same binding, cover, and paper quality. It's 304 pages this time, and I'd say this focuses more on characters (less vehicles, weapons and environments, though there is still plenty of each). The overall text-to-art ratio is roughly the same.

I got my book today, shipped in the giant box with bubber mailers that everyone else mentioned. Didn't get dinged up at all. I looked through it for a bit, it's a hefty book packed with tons of art and commentary, very cool! Totally love it, definitely worth it for the price.

Huge book, gorgeous art, WAY TOO CHEAP FOR THE # OF PAGES. Western devs, the ball is in your court. Finally used that damn coupon. Some site that had a $20 gc for 10 bucks for amazon months and months ago. I put it on this book, and then it eventually got pushed back 6 months.

valkyria chronicles 2 artbook will look like this, but in english.http://www.flickr.com/photos/teohyc/5362529804/[quote name='Saix_XIII']Also just looked at amazon for the VC2 art book and it's $29.40 instead of $33 so I decided to pre-order it. I am not 100% sold on it since we know nothing about its content, but I rather be safe then sorry. Just got this as a reply from Udon: The Valkyria 2 book will be the same binding, cover, and paper quality. It's 304 pages this time, and I'd say this focuses more on characters (less vehicles, weapons and environments, though there is still plenty of each). The overall text-to-art ratio is roughly the same.[/QUOTE]

Just picked mine up from the leasing office... it IS pretty nice. It's softcover, but it's a fairly hard-soft-cover, if that makes any sense. It's more like a thin cardboard. It's a step up from say, a strategy guide. I noticed a typo on p. 271, though. It says "attack a medal" instead of "attach a medal" or something like that.

Now this is an artbook! I figured that with 400+ pages, most of the pages would be individual pieces of work or lack variation but was I wrong. Every page is full and the text is rather tiny- seems like they needed a few hundred more pages.

It was well worth the wait and the price.

EDIT* I guess I should note that I was lucky. Mine shipped in a box but it was shrink wrapped to a backboard. The shrink wrap wasn't very tight though (I guess they didn't want to damage the protective plastic baggie) but it arrived in perfect shape.

[quote name='Vinny']
EDIT* I guess I should note that I was lucky. Mine shipped in a box but it was shrink wrapped to a backboard. The shrink wrap wasn't very tight though (I guess they didn't want to damage the protective plastic baggie) but it arrived in perfect shape.[/QUOTE]

That's how mine arrived. Even after all the positive talk, I was still surprised by the heft of this book. Very well done.

FINALLY got shipping confirmation for mine. Really can't wait to get this, 50 weeks after I preordered it give or take.

This book is unbelievable. I was expecting a fairly straight artbook but this is like a 400-page design encyclopedia. It's completely exceeded my expectations. The sheer volume of background information is just staggering and I can't believe something like this exists at all, let alone in English. Also they translated the entire soundtrack liner notes. I wouldn't have thought twice about paying the full $50 MSRP for this, so if you consider yourself a fan of the game or have any interest in game development or character design, you should get this immediately before Amazon comes to their senses.

The upcoming Monster Hunter book sounds more like a traditional artbook, but if it gets anywhere near as in-depth as this, I might die.

For people who have gotten their book... How is the binding on the art book? Do you feel like to you turn pages without any damage, or are you having to flip through them delicately?

[quote name='Xiemos']For people who have gotten their book... How is the binding on the art book? Do you feel like to you turn pages without any damage, or are you having to flip through them delicately?[/QUOTE]

well i have the darksiders art book and this is nothing like it...pages are sturdy and i dont feel like i am going to destroy the book at all - they did an excellent job as for the art...i would have paid full price for this book without hesitation...if anyone is on the fence about the book, buy it, you will not be disappointed - this book is absolutely amazing

the monster hunter book is this http://www.flickr.com/photos/teohyc/3422556891/ plus this http://www.flickr.com/photos/teohyc/3422541525/ the japanese version has those 2 books (1 color 1 b&w) in a slipcase; udon is combining them both into one book at a slightly less wide aspect ratio, and in english. don't die!!...lolthe book is good. preorder it =)[quote name='metaly']This book is unbelievable. I was expecting a fairly straight artbook but this is like a 400-page design encyclopedia. It's completely exceeded my expectations. The sheer volume of background information is just staggering and I can't believe something like this exists at all, let alone in English. Also they translated the entire soundtrack liner notes. I wouldn't have thought twice about paying the full $50 MSRP for this, so if you consider yourself a fan of the game or have any interest in game development or character design, you should get this immediately before Amazon comes to their senses.

The upcoming Monster Hunter book sounds more like a traditional artbook, but if it gets anywhere near as in-depth as this, I might die.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lurkingsalt']Upon closer inspection my copy has some weird orange smears on the back in 2 different spots that are clearly visible. I'm considering sending for a replacement. Am I overreacting? I got it for almost half the price so that's a big plus. What do you guys think? I haven't opened the plastic sleeve the book comes in so this happened during packaging is my guess.[/QUOTE]

What. I took a peak at the back of my book and there are some weird orange smears. I guess I'm gonna get a replacement as well.

The art book is amazing though!

Unlike other additional compared to net stores by which you consistently should undoubtedly retain eyesight within your credit history track record background card, buy cheap ugg boots on selling is only just one this sort of additional compared to net store that will assure you complete defense and danger 100 % 100 % free of retailing price shopping.

Man that is some SHIT crazy broken english on that bot. Usually they sound stupid, but not that ridiculous. FYI, the Ar Tonelico book got moved up to august 25th and then instantly august 16th.

[quote name='noobeffect']What. I took a peak at the back of my book and there are some weird orange smears. I guess I'm gonna get a replacement as well.

The art book is amazing though![/QUOTE]

would you mind taking a picture of the stain?

[quote name='leylines']would you mind taking a picture of the stain?[/QUOTE]

I already sealed it for the return, I'm sorry about that. The smear wasn't large though, but it was on the back cover of art book looking inside. Didn't seem like something you could wipe off. It only annoyed me because I had the intent of maintaining the book in like new condition and the smear just bothered me.

I guess I should double-check the back of the artbook that showed up a couple of days ago to make sure that I don't have the same strange orange smears that two CAGs have commented about.

Mine had a tiny orange smear on the back near the lance but I just rubbed it a bit (like 3 times) with my finger and it cleared away.

[quote name='Vinny']Mine had a tiny orange smear on the back near the lance but I just rubbed it a bit (like 3 times) with my finger and it cleared away.[/QUOTE]

I wonder if noobeffect even tried this. He said it didn't "look" like it could be rubbed off, but it doesn't sound like he even tried to see if it would

For my smudges I tried to clean them to no avail. They seemed to have already been smeared so no cleaning was going to get them off. I've looked through 2 character sections of this already and I'm loving it. The drastic changes in design from very early on to just simple things being changed (colors.) It's very interesting.

[quote name='ssjmichael']I wonder if noobeffect even tried this. He said it didn't "look" like it could be rubbed off, but it doesn't sound like he even tried to see if it would[/QUOTE]
I tried to lightly scrape it off but to no avail. Probably should have tried rubbing. Like I said earlier, I was really adamant about keeping it in a like new condition so I was worried that rubbing may have ruined the back of the cover.

[quote name='noobeffect']I tried to lightly scrape it off but to no avail. Probably should have tried rubbing. Like I said earlier, I was really adamant about keeping it in a like new condition so I was worried that rubbing may have ruined the back of the cover.[/QUOTE]

If rubbing the cover damaged it then I think that would be good indication of shoddy quality print and frankly, I'd be returning my copy. :lol:

I got mine in perfect condition, took a careful look and no orange smear as mentioned above. Loved the way amazon packaged it with a plastic sleeve and big box. Also, Ar Tonelico Visual Book is getting released on the 16th of August, they changed the release date from January 2012 to August 16 if anyone noticed that.

[quote name='yakumo']I got mine in perfect condition, took a careful look and no orange smear as mentioned above. Loved the way amazon packaged it with a plastic sleeve and big box. Also, Ar Tonelico Visual Book is getting released on the 16th of August, they changed the release date from January 2012 to August 16 if anyone noticed that.[/QUOTE]

Mine already shipped... guess I got the first batch or something? (Actually, it looks like it's being delivered today.)

What the hell? Wasn't expecting the Ar Tonelico until a few more months (was expecting major delays). Not complaining but it just came out of nowhere lol. Yay more art books.

As of this post, the item is under review at Amazon. Perhaps they got a lot of complaints of orange smears? Or maybe complaints that it's getting beat up during shipping? My replacement art book got a tiny bit beat up but nothing to get worried about.

bread's done
Back