Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='Ecofreak']True that -- it is heartening to see such high interest. :)

I'm not sure who made the poster show in the blog entry, but it would definitely be cool to release it for the fans. :whistle2:D[/quote]

It's not the absolute best quality, but here is a slightly larger image:

valkyria_poster01.jpg

In other news, apparently I've got another copy of this game available. I picked up 3 copies from GS according to my receipt, which have all been spoken for, yet I've got two copies sitting on my shelf. :whistle2:k Apparently the game has learned to duplicate itself.

[quote name='thelonepig']It's not the absolute best quality, but here is a slightly larger image:

valkyria_poster01.jpg

In other news, apparently I've got another copy of this game available. I picked up 3 copies from GS according to my receipt, which have all been spoken for, yet I've got two copies sitting on my shelf. :whistle2:k Apparently the game has learned to duplicate itself.[/QUOTE]

That's no good...so did Gamestop charge you for one more copy than you bought? And didn't they impose the 2 game limit in-store as well?

[quote name='Ecofreak']That's no good...so did Gamestop charge you for one more copy than you bought? And didn't they impose the 2 game limit in-store as well?[/quote]

I'm 99% certain that I walked out with three copies (2 sealed, 1 gutted), which is what I was charged for on my receipt. Yet somehow I have 5 copies currently on my shelf.

EDIT: I didn't directly answer your question. No imposed in-store limit.

Bought this game today because of people's efforts here to advertise how great this game was. I played the demo when it came out and was excited about it but decided to wait for a price drop. This one was as good as any.

Sorry if this has been asked millions of times, but are there trophies coming for this game? Ever?

We don't know. Rolento said his source said there would be, but no one trusts Rolento on these boards anymore.

[quote name='KingBroly']We don't know. Rolento said his source said there would be, but no one trusts Rolento on these boards anymore.[/QUOTE]

Quote for Truth...Q.F.T...

[quote name='KingBroly']We don't know. Rolento said his source said there would be, but no one trusts Rolento on these boards anymore.[/QUOTE]

I'd go with no announcement yet. I remember at the time RR posted about the trophies I happened to read an article, translated from italian I might add, that said they new that something was coming to Valkyria and that it would be 3 things. The article spectulated that trophies would be one of those thing. Well we all know now that it's 3 types of DLC. So I think it was wishful thinking turned into rumor that should have been quashed a while back. Hopefully Sega just goes ahead and adds trophies alongside the DLC.

[quote name='StrandedBrit']I'd go with no announcement yet. I remember at the time RR posted about the trophies I happened to read an article, translated from italian I might add, that said they new that something was coming to Valkyria and that it would be 3 things. The article spectulated that trophies would be one of those thing. Well we all know now that it's 3 types of DLC. So I think it was wishful thinking turned into rumor that should have been quashed a while back. Hopefully Sega just goes ahead and adds trophies alongside the DLC.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious to know how difficult it would be to change the coding for the game to include trophies -- after all, Valkyria Chronicles already has in-game achievements. Perhaps it will be like Uncharted, where they had in-game achievements which were then made directly into trophies.

I don't know if the patch allowed those who already earned said achievements to unlock their trophies immediately, or if they needed another play-through to get them.

[quote name='Ecofreak']I'm curious to know how difficult it would be to change the coding for the game to include trophies -- after all, Valkyria Chronicles already has in-game achievements. Perhaps it will be like Uncharted, where they had in-game achievements which were then made directly into trophies.

I don't know if the patch allowed those who already earned said achievements to unlock their trophies immediately, or if they needed another play-through to get them.[/QUOTE]

With Uncharted you needed to start a fresh game. But with Warhawk, some trophies were retroactive. And if Bionic commando Rearmed ever actually gets the trophy patch it is supposed to have, those trophies are said to be retroactive.

All they have to do to code in trophies is theoretically just stat check with the in game achievements. So if the game reads that you have so and so unlocked as an ingame achievement, then it unlocks the trophy, similiar to a if, then statement.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Quote for Truth...Q.F.T...[/quote]

:lol: I'll second that.

:lol: so if I confirm no trophies, am I wrong :lol:

I did state my source was bad though right after posting the news so at least give me some credit.

I've played VC off and on with my Gamefly rental, but now that I picked up a full copy this morning I don't feel I have to rush. still a great game.

Just watched the first episode of the new anime series, and I'm fairly impressed. It obviously has to take some "liberties" with the story line, as the studio needs to fill some 23 minutes of material (including opening and closing credits).

I like how they tried to maintain some semblance of the "Canvass Engine" with their art design, although it's not immediately obvious.

Biggest detractors so far:
1) Welkin's voice actor sounds different...Like the Welkin from the game has a stuffy nose or something. Doesn't sound as "chipper" as the PS3 version, which was one of his defining qualities that matched well w/ Alicia.
2) Isara's eyes are WAY TOO LARGE! I compared them to the VC trailer on page 1 of this thread and the difference is quite substantial.

I suppose I'll get used to these differences over time, but it'll be weird playing the game when the DLC comes out, and switching between the two sets of voice actors & art styles.

You all suck. I've slept all of 4 hours in the past 2 days because of this game..... just one more round....

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']I want this game but question, does BB price match the Gamestop Sale? if so looks like i will pick this up this weekend.[/QUOTE]

If you can bring in an advertisement for it, they should be able to price match.

However, EB/GS has that 10% off coupon, so you could get it cheaper directly from EB/GS.

Picked it up at GS for the $29.99 deal. Can't wait to start playing it.

I took the game up to the clerk who was this lazy eyed guy with no human emotion.

Me: "I'll get this but I want to make sure it's $30 first."
GS: "Where'd you read that?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
GS: "Where'd you read this was $30? The price tag says $60."
Me: "It's part of your half-off deal, I read the news off the internet."
GS: "Naw man, if you saw it on the internet then it's an internet deal only."
Me: "Can you just scan it so we can see?"
GS: "Alright, but I don't think it's part of the deal.... Was it in the bin?"
* He finally begins to scan it
Me: "What bin? I got it off the self."
GS: "If it's not in the bin it's not part of the deal."
Me: "..."
GS: "...... yeah it is $29.99"
* He begins looking for it mumbling something about how he "hates it when they do this"
* It's the last copy so it's gutted, now normally I'd never buy a gutted brand new copy but since I'm getting it for a deal I can let it slide. Before he stickers it up I say:
Me: "Can I see the back for scratches?"
GS: "It's a blue-ray, scratches won't do anything to it."
Me: "I still want to make sure I'm getting a new copy. I've had problems in the past from you guys where I buy a new copy with tons of scratches and you wont take it back"
GS: "The only way you can hurt this disk is if you stick a knife trough it, you know what I'm sayin?"
* He obviously doesn't get the point. Anyways the disk checks out fine and I leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
That guy sounds like a genius. Sadly, that seems to be the level of intelligence I also used to see at most gaming retail stores.

Still, congrats on the purchase, and enjoy - you're in for a blast. :)

[quote name='RubyEclipse']That guy sounds like a genius. Sadly, that seems to be the level of intelligence I also used to see at most gaming retail stores.

Still, congrats on the purchase, and enjoy - you're in for a blast. :)[/QUOTE]

Hey RubyEclipse,

When you get a chance, check out this blog -- It'll show Sega just a fraction of how much the CAG community appreciates and supports this title! There's even a shout out to you! ;)

[quote name='RubyEclipse']That guy sounds like a genius. Sadly, that seems to be the level of intelligence I also used to see at most gaming retail stores.

Still, congrats on the purchase, and enjoy - you're in for a blast. :)[/quote]

Thanks, I don't even own a PS3 but I had to play this game. I was lucky enough to try out the demo a few weeks ago and loved it. I worked out a deal with a friend of mine so I can borrow his PS3 and in return I let him borrow some DS games plus he can borrow VC after I'm done with it.

Question, about how long is this game?

[quote name='Rodimus']Thanks, I don't even own a PS3 but I had to play this game. I was lucky enough to try out the demo a few weeks ago and loved it. I worked out a deal with a friend of mine so I can borrow his PS3 and in return I let him borrow some DS games plus he can borrow VC after I'm done with it.

Question, about how long is this game?[/quote]

I finished in just under 35 hours.

The last save I have is 33 hours, 10 minutes. That's before the final boss fight and cut-scenes. So, roughly 34 hours. I did my fair share of 1 turn grinding, though.

[quote name='Rodimus']Thanks. If it took everyone about 35 hours then it should take me 40. I play RPGs like an old woman driving.[/quote]

+1. For some reason any RPG I play takes me anywhere from 10-20 hours more than what everyone tells me it should take (and no, I don't do extra level grinding or anything of the sort).

Guess what was just announced everyone?

(Hint - It's on the front page here:)

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/

Hype for next week +1000.

Ecofreak, that's fantastic - thank you for the link!

Edit: Boston, I'm not sure how the playstation blog missed that, but the correct date is in fact April 16th, as was listed on this morning's press release.

Actually...according to the Playstation blog, it's coming out tomorrow!

According to 1up...they're $5 a piece. I don't feel comfortable spending $5 on a difficulty level if you ask me.

wait what? the DLC is already here in 1 week?! id better hurry up and finish this game!! lol

EDIT: on a related note, did that sega fellow ever come back with goodies?

[quote name='reicaden']EDIT: on a related note, did that sega fellow ever come back with goodies?[/quote]
There's a hint to that in our latest Valkyria Blog Post, so keep your eyes peeled.

As to the date, I'll check into it here and find out for sure which one is correct. I'm about 99% sure it's the 16th, but I'll do some digging and will let you guys know.

King - that's a fair view, I can also clarify: Hard EX mode is a couple dollars higher than its JP counterpart, but Selvaria's campaign is actually notably cheaper than it was in Japan, so if you were interested in all three it will still balance out to be about the same. If not, you can actually get the campaigns for cheaper and move on to Hard EX mode later, once you clear all the other DLC and need a new VC fix. :)

So, uh, anybody want to set up a gameshare group? I know I might get shot down because you guys would want to support the developer all the way in this situation but I figured I'd ask anyways.

[quote name='RubyEclipse']There's a hint to that in our latest Valkyria Blog Post, so keep your eyes peeled.

As to the date, I'll check into it here and find out for sure which one is correct. I'm about 99% sure it's the 16th, but I'll do some digging and will let you guys know.

King - that's a fair view, I can also clarify: Hard EX mode is a couple dollars higher than its JP counterpart, but Selvaria's campaign is actually notably cheaper than it was in Japan, so if you were interested in all three it will still balance out to be about the same. If not, you can actually get the campaigns for cheaper and move on to Hard EX mode later, once you clear all the other DLC and need a new VC fix. :)[/quote]

My complaint still stands. It's only for Skirmishes anyway. Hard Mode seems like an adequate challenge for later. I need to go back and get an A rank on every mission, though. I then need to get every medal.

so...are the mission based DLC single mission or is it somewhat a decent sized campaign? I would like to have at least an hour or two worth of gameplay on a $5.00 purchase (maybe the Hard EX mode seems more worthwhile in that aspect).

Sweet! Now that I'm pretty much done w/ Resident Evil 5, I've been waiting for the DLC to drop so I have something to fulfill my single-player needs.

I'm going to wager that the two new stories are campaigns with several missions, not just one mission.

All three of them are day 1 purchases for me!

Here's my little story about the game. I didn't know much about it until I saw some videos on the JPN PSN last year, then I was actually kinda turned off by it and thought I should have been more impressed...well move onto release last fall, again it was off my radar after the initial impressions until I started to read these reviews, not just regular reviews but glowing, exuberant, gushing reviews about the games greatness.

At this point I started thinking to myself, wow, maybe I dismissed this game too soon, so I put it on my internal games list to pick it up at a decent price (since money is tight, being a college student and all) and again continued on with things keeping the game in the back of my mind and still being awestruck at the intensity of the community and fervor building up over this game, I knew honestly, very little about, other than what I had seen.

So this week here I am checking the front page for deals and walaa what do I see but VC and not only that but at a perfect price point to grab (since I knew its going rate in the secondary market, it was pretty much a no brainer and I snapped up a copy immediately) So the basic thing for me is I will give a game a shot if I see a massive swell of interest in it, especially if I was dismissive of it to begin with, so I'll thank CAG for giving me the heads up on the deal and guys like you for having so much love and enthusiasm to MAKE me take another look at this game that I quite frankly had little or no interest in about a year ago after I first saw it.

Kudos to the faithful and passionate fans, you guys convinced me, and that's saying something. :)

Just picked this up yesterday. My local shop actually got it from gamestop and sold it to me for the same price so they could get my trades, overnight service. The game is alright so far, not quite sure if it's for me yet. Based on everything I've read, this game is top-notch. The only question is whether or not it's really a type of game I'll personally enjoy. After about an hour I'm still not quite sure but for the price I'm glad to give it a shot.

I'm either getting trolled hardcore or not being helped out. Sure no one cares but I'm surprised no one is backing me up. Nearly 550 views and I'm the only one with a broken rage-o-meter.

But I soldier on. I get in the first skirmish, and to my astonishment, you only get symbols for what type of unit that dot is. I never familiarized myself with symbols! Well, their types must show up in the lower right corner of the screen where their names and stats are. Nope. Why the fuck can't the type name be there? There's plenty of room for it?

One of my soldiers gets caught in the middle of the battlefield. I don't mean it's in trouble. Well, he is, but that's not the problem. He got caught in one of those video gamey glitches where you get caught in an invisible box and just run in place like an asshole while the entire enemy army massacres you.

I was so enraged I entirely missed the part about running out of movement point until recently.

Good troll is good.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=7772

[quote name='ItsMeMark']I'm either getting trolled hardcore or not being helped out. Sure no one cares but I'm surprised no one is backing me up. Nearly 550 views and I'm the only one with a broken rage-o-meter.

I was so enraged I entirely missed the part about running out of movement point until recently.

Good troll is good.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=7772[/quote]
You were talking about "kicking his ass" over this? You're the reason I hate the internet. Go lift some weights asshole if you think you're that tough and gtfo.

bread's done
Back