Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

[quote name='SkankinRex']Just picked this up yesterday. My local shop actually got it from gamestop and sold it to me for the same price so they could get my trades, overnight service. The game is alright so far, not quite sure if it's for me yet. Based on everything I've read, this game is top-notch. The only question is whether or not it's really a type of game I'll personally enjoy. After about an hour I'm still not quite sure but for the price I'm glad to give it a shot.[/quote]

Give it another hour or so...then you won't be able to put it down

[quote name='ItsMeMark']I'm either getting trolled hardcore or not being helped out. Sure no one cares but I'm surprised no one is backing me up. Nearly 550 views and I'm the only one with a broken rage-o-meter.

I was so enraged I entirely missed the part about running out of movement point until recently.

Good troll is good.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=7772[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't necessary call him a troll, just totally ridiculous. No point getting upset about it -- or use that negative energy to kill more imperials. RAWR!

[quote name='Ecofreak']I wouldn't necessary call him a troll, just totally ridiculous. No point getting upset about it -- or use that negative energy to kill more imperials. RAWR![/quote]

I agree. No point in getting worked up over someone else's opinion, since it's just that. No reason their dislike of the game should affect your enjoyment.

I'm sure everyone has at least one game that 95% of people loved and they couldn't stand. For me it was Fable 2, fuck that game. That doesn't make me a troll though (I hope).

[quote name='bvharris']I agree. No point in getting worked up over someone else's opinion, since it's just that. No reason their dislike of the game should affect your enjoyment.

I'm sure everyone has at least one game that 95% of people loved and they couldn't stand. For me it was Fable 2, fuck that game. That doesn't make me a troll though (I hope).[/quote]
OH I KNOW YOU DON'T BE TALKIN BOUT FABLE LIEK DAT. I WILL BEAT YOUR ASS DOWN FOR THAT!
Oh wait, I'm not the guy getting mad. Honestly, who gives a crap if someone doesn't like your favorite game and telling them you will beat them up (over the internet no less) just makes you look like a pathetic asshole. (I don't mean "you" specifically bvharris, but...well, you know)

[quote name='bvharris']Didn't want to slog back through the last few pages of the thread to see if anyone had posted this, so sorry if this is a re-post. Here's the first episode of the anime with English subtitles:

http://www.seganerds.com/2009/04/08/watch-valkyria-chronicles-episode-1-with-english-subtitles/[/quote]I haven't watched this yet since I'm still playing this game (getting my ass handed to me), but does anyone know if any of the Japanese voice actors in the actual game lend their voices to the anime as well?

[quote name='Ma12kez']I haven't watched this yet since I'm still playing this game (getting my ass handed to me), but does anyone know if any of the Japanese voice actors in the actual game lend their voices to the anime as well?[/quote]

They do.

[quote name='bvharris']I'm sure everyone has at least one game that 95% of people loved and they couldn't stand. For me it was Fable 2, fuck that game. That doesn't make me a troll though (I hope).[/quote]
That completely fine if you have valid reasoning for it. Just don't make things up to complain about. Thats the thing that annoyed me about that blog. He complained about a glitch that turns out to be part of the gameplay. And when corrected he goes on to blame the game for his inabilty to understand Movement points. Things like that could turn people away from a game they might have enjoyed if they played it.

I have no idea who Edy is. Did i miss something, or is she just one of the recruits that I probably didn't use? I think Vyse and Aika should get their own DLC :D

[quote name='bigl523']They do.[/quote]
Is it all of them, or just a select few? I'm just wondering since I'm playing it with the Japanese language and English subtitles.

WHOLLY fuck! There's rumors of a potential sequel to Valkyria Chronicles! I don't care if it's just a rumor, anything like this is enough to make me happy.

From PSXExtreme.com

Tim Schafer recently said that gamers often worry too much about sales, and that if you make a great game, publishers will still want to talk to you. In other words, quality doesn't go unnoticed.

This somewhat idealistic sentiment applies to Sega's excellent RPG, Valkyria Chronicles. It may not have sold a trillion copies but its popularity is still gaining steam to this day, and next week, North American and European fans will be treated to the first three pieces of downloadable content. That being said, how's about more good news, VC lovers? According to a recent interview in the latest Famitsu edition, producer Nonaka Ryutaro said he was "ecstatic" about the game's success in Japan and that he absolutely wants to do a sequel. He said very specifically he doesn't want to leave the IP as is, and he wants to allow the game to grow into a successful franchise. This makes all of us who are well aware of VC's inherent quality very happy, although we're a little worried that a sequel may not release in either the U.S. or Europe. After all, he did only mention Japan in the interview but then again, it was a Japanese magazine, so... Let's just hope that the sales of Chronicles in the other two major regions weren't too terrible, and they'll treat us all to another installment.

We'll let you know as soon as Sega issues any details concerning Valkyria Chronicles 2; we'd like to think that if it does happen, the announcement will come at the Tokyo Game Show this fall. Stay tuned!

CAN I GET A :whee:?!?!

BTW -- I have another blog entry about this rumor, so please add your own :whee: to the comments if you're as excited about this potential rumor as I am!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats awesome (even if its just a little rumor); definitely this game done something right when a whole niche fans started to like side character Edy (assuming this is why they made the dlc?), made valkyria chronicles figures and made an anime. Seems like at least in Japan the game is receiving a whole lot of love... Which worries me...if they do make a sequel you think it will come to the states?

**contains in game story spoilers and such
A sequel would require a whole new cast of characters (unless they pull 'Isara coming back from the dead to kidnap Alicia and Welkin's child' kind of thing)? I wouldn't mind it as long as its in the same universe; maybe they could do something like Gundam (where similar style, motifs, themes are used but completely different from series to series).

[quote name='dejeckt']Thats awesome (even if its just a little rumor); definitely this game done something right when a whole niche fans started to like side character Edy (assuming this is why they made the dlc?), made valkyria chronicles figures and made an anime. Seems like at least in Japan the game is receiving a whole lot of love... Which worries me...if they do make a sequel you think it will come to the states?

**contains in game story spoilers and such
A sequel would require a whole new cast of characters (unless they pull 'Isara coming back from the dead to kidnap Alicia and Welkin's child' kind of thing)? I wouldn't mind it as long as its in the same universe; maybe they could do something like Gundam (where similar style, motifs, themes are used but completely different from series to series).
[/quote]
WHY DID I CLICK?! FUUUUUCK

[quote name='arnoldhead']I think Vyse and Aika should get their own DLC :D[/QUOTE]

Everyone good and decent thinks that, my friend.

[quote name='arnoldhead']I think Vyse and Aika should get their own DLC :D[/quote]
Pfft, they have their own game. If any character needs DLC it's Noce Wordsworth. All it needs to be is her trying to win Alicia's heart.

Just played the game for a few hours today after I picked it up on Sunday during the Gamestop Game Days Sale. I am really enjoying the game thus. The art style is very intriguing and the combat feels very fresh and new with the potential for a lot of depth.

How long is this game supposed to be? My problem with JRPGS is that they are so damn long I tend to lose interest after a while, but that's not the games fault.

[quote name='ivanctorres']Just played the game for a few hours today after I picked it up on Sunday during the Gamestop Game Days Sale. I am really enjoying the game thus. The art style is very intriguing and the combat feels very fresh and new with the potential for a lot of depth.

How long is this game supposed to be? My problem with JRPGS is that they are so damn long I tend to lose interest after a while, but that's not the games fault.[/QUOTE]

I clocked in around 35 hours from start to finish -- but your time may be shorter if you don't want to get all your characters to level 20. You can beat the game without maxing your squad, I was just curious to see what the Level 4 abilities were for my squad.

Damnit I really need to play this game more, every time I come in here I want to go put it in my PS3, but I have to beat sooooo many games before I can attempt Chapter 11 :(

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Finally traded this game off to someone for a pretty good deal. Good riddance. I think I would've been more lenient on this game had it been on PS2. Definitely not next-gen.[/quote]
What a retard. Must be upset she paid full price.

Stuck on one of the final missions. Felt like it was going to take an hour and didn't want to spend the time. I think I'll be able to beat it before thursday evening comes around...

[quote name='sotc1988']Stuck on one of the final missions. Felt like it was going to take an hour and didn't want to spend the time. I think I'll be able to beat it before thursday evening comes around...[/quote]

I have a feeling I know which one you're talking about. You can beat that one in a single turn.

Also, to the haters of this game:
We're watching you.

If they make a sequel though, how would they continue it?

The storybook telling and the ending kind of brought he whole thing to a close. Unless maybe if they write about another war, and Welkin/Alicia's little girl is involved as a recruit this time, maybe as the main character. Maybe Welkin will be recruited as a Commander again and his little girl enlists disguised, so he doesn't find out right away. Then maybe Gunther will get gravely injured and she'll get angry and we all know nobody (from the other side) likes Valkyria's when they get angry.

Anyway no matter what they do, I'm totally down with another VC game

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Woo, VC is almost $30.

*sits anxiously*[/quote]

Where the hell have you been? It's been $30 at Gamestop all week. Go get it!

I played 5 hrs straight today. I'm so tempted to look at spoilers considering I won't have time the rest of the week to play more. I'm pretty awful though.. I've made C's on almost every battle

[quote name='KingBroly']I have a feeling I know which one you're talking about. You can beat that one in a single turn.

Also, to the haters of this game:
We're watching you.[/quote]
I don't think so because
I'm on the mission where you have to fight selvaria in non-valkyria form while she's standing on top of the building shooting at everything that moves on the map. It's the mission right after you push all three switches so the train gets through. I'm gonna try later tonight.

[quote name='sotc1988']I don't think so because
I'm on the mission where you have to fight selvaria in non-valkyria form while she's standing on top of the building shooting at everything that moves on the map. It's the mission right after you push all three switches so the train gets through. I'm gonna try later tonight.
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm not thinking that one is possible in one turn...

Also, smoke rounds are your friend. Just keep
popping them up on Selvaria each round until you get your characters positioned out of her line of sight.

[quote name='KingBroly']Where the hell have you been? It's been $30 at Gamestop all week. Go get it![/quote]

Ahhh! Oh yea, I totally forgot about that sale. That's probably why I was thinking $30. Woohoo, I'm getting it tomorrow. Whens the sale end?

[quote name='sotc1988']I don't think so because
[/quote]

Oh, that one. 3 turns.

[quote name='KingBroly']Oh, that one. 3 turns.[/QUOTE]

At the risk of sounding glib, using the normal 'sploitz should only take 2.

However, I think it'd be difficult to do even in 3 without substantial abuse of the game mechanics. Besides, the S rank threshold for that mission is probably around 5-6 turns anyway.

I am stuck on one of the missions where you have to capture an enemy base and you have x amount of turns before the enemy crosses a bridge. I think I have played the first skirmish about 10 times trying to max out my levels.

Started playing this last night and I have a few questions:

1. I started using the Snipers and they seem kinda weak. Is it just that I'm too early in the game or I'm not using them correctly? What are they strong against? I try aiming for a headshots but they never seem to do much damage and they only get one shot.

2. After I kill an enemy and I see their body on the ground I walk up to them and they disappear. Does this mean anything?

3. Besides Aika & Vyse are their any other cameo or special characters I should look out for? Also are their any recomendations for recruit characters, any that are just simply better than others?

This game is awesome. Not since Persona 4 have I been so excited to get off work to play a game.

[quote name='Rodimus']Started playing this last night and I have a few questions:

1. I started using the Snipers and they seem kinda weak. Is it just that I'm too early in the game or I'm not using them correctly? What are they strong against? I try aiming for a headshots but they never seem to do much damage and they only get one shot.

2. After I kill an enemy and I see their body on the ground I walk up to them and they disappear. Does this mean anything?

3. Besides Aika & Vyse are their any other cameo or special characters I should look out for? Also are their any recomendations for recruit characters, any that are just simply better than others?

This game is awesome. Not since Persona 4 have I been so excited to get off work to play a game.[/QUOTE]

1. Snipers are harder to use early on, yeah. As you get better weapons their accuracy will get better. Also, don't bother using them against enemies crouched behind sandbags or hiding in grass, as headshots won't count for a damage increase to those guys.

2. The body disappearing means that the enemy won't be able to revive the guy you killed. If any of your soldiers get downed in combat, try to get someone over to them so that the enemy doesn't do that to your guy (If an enemy gets to your soldier before you do, you lose that character)

3. The only other cameo is Fina as the medic. As for specific characters to use, always use the "badge" characters (characters important to the story, they increase your command points by one when you place them on the field). Anyone else is fair game, but try to pick people with good abilites who like each other, as they will attack together more frequently.

[quote name='Rodimus']Thanks, that helps a lot. So anyone can revive a character not just medics? (which I've yet to get)[/QUOTE]

Medics aren't a separate class. They aren't even playable.
You may be thinking of engineers, which are the only "support" class. They can repair tanks and sandbags, resupply ammo to Lancers and Snipers, and I think they may generally be better at healing than other classes (not sure on that, though). But yeah, any class (save a tank, of course) can rescue another character.

Gotcha. I tought maybe Medics were a class you get later on. I'm sure I'll have more question later once i think of them. Thanks again.

[quote name='Rodimus']Started playing this last night and I have a few questions:

This game is awesome. Not since Persona 4 have I been so excited to get off work to play a game.[/quote]

1) I've put a lot of experience into my snipers (lvl 11 @ chapter 7) and they seem to be pretty good now. I don't have to worry about missing the headshots as much.

2) When you "collect" the dead enemy bodies, you gain experience for them at the end (apparently you get a little more experience for collecting the bodies from what I read).

3) Not a clue.

[quote name='Warner1281'] 2) When you "collect" the dead enemy bodies, you gain experience for them at the end (apparently you get a little more experience for collecting the bodies from what I read).[/quote]

Incorrect. In the Japanese version, you had to "collect" enemy aces to actually get their weapons/weapon parts (you know, the guys with silly names that are much harder to kill). In the version you're likely to be playing, all rewards are gained on kill. This includes the weapons and exp. From all accounts I'm able to remember, there's no real advantage to picking up corpses of fallen enemies.

Hey everyone,

I sat down yesterday and played through the DLC packs coming up this week, so I could write in detail about what comes in each pack. First up is Hard Mode EX, since a lot of people might think it's just a harder difficulty in Skirmish missions (Which is actually only one part of the pack.)

The first of the DLC Spotlights is now up here, and tomorrow will be a look at Edy's Mission.

Also, the voice acting in Behind Her Blue Flame is fantastic. Just getting that out there now. :)

[quote name='RubyEclipse']Hey everyone,

I sat down yesterday and played through the DLC packs coming up this week, so I could write in detail about what comes in each pack. First up is Hard Mode EX, since a lot of people might think it's just a harder difficulty in Skirmish missions (Which is actually only one part of the pack.)

The first of the DLC Spotlights is now up here, and tomorrow will be a look at Edy's Mission.

Also, the voice acting in Behind Her Blue Flame is fantastic. Just getting that out there now. :)[/QUOTE]

Sweet -- looking forward to the Hard Mode EX and seeing how they change both enemy placement & their behavior.

I hope that the level rankings take into account the additional number of turns necessary to complete a mission

Finally got through chapter 7 last night. It wouldn't have taken so long if every turn didn't turn into a new surprise. I had to revise my strategy about 9 different times. Still satisfying when I finally kicked some serious ass.

Is anyone else watching the show? I don't like it so far, but I'm interested in seeing what they do next. I know changes are necessary, but they've made some of the characters so unlikable. Every scene Welkin is in, he's a complete idiot and every time Alicia's friend (I think her name is Susie) enters the scene, I feel like stabbing my eardrums with pens.

Glad to hear the details on the DLC helped clear some things up - when I first heard all the content it came with too, I was surprised at how much there was and wanted to make sure we got the word out there.

On that note, I've just added up the second blog post with details about Edy's Mission. This one is fairly challenging, but keep at it and you'll make it eventually! (Hopefully)

Tomorrow will be the third and final spotlight - and the long awaited release of all three DLC packs on PSN. :cool:

Since you seem to be the bearer of news on this, how about telling us CAGs the most important part of this DLC to us, hmm?

Wow, this game ended up being a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I just finished it in under 33 hours and my initial impressions were that it was very reminiscent to the Advance Wars series. It's rare to have a game with both an awesome story and well thought out gameplay mechanics. I'll
admit my eyes got watery at the end when Isara's plane saves Welkin and Alicia
. My only gripe with the game was that I wish you could stick to walls for better cover, instead of having specific areas where pressing "X" places you into cover.

Other than that, it was a great game. Now Metal Gear Solid 4 won't look so lonely on my shelf with this game next to it (I only have two PS3 games).:lol:

bread's done
Back