Valkyria Chronicles - Gen. Discussion & Info

From the link provided by OatmealMu

[quote name='Computerandvideogames.com']Here's the official word:

* Hard EX Mode - fight your way once more through the entire Imperial army, where the enemies are more lethal and your main tank Edelweiss is unavailable. You'll have to be more strategic in order to overcome your opponents.

* Edy's Mission "Enter the Edy Detachment" - six members have been separated from Squad 7 and on their journey to reunite with the squad, they stumble upon a tiny village under attack by the Imperial Army. Play as Edy and command your outnumbered team to defend the small village from annihilation.

* Selvaria's Mission "Behind Her Blue Flame" - this mission takes place right after the outbreak of Gallian battle lines and you play as Johann, a young and meek engineer, assigned to Selvaria's troop. See the action as it unfolds behind enemy lines and see the war play out through the eyes of the enemy. [/quote]

Day 1 purchase for me -- without a doubt. I can't wait!

Got the game a few weeks ago but didnt get a chance to play it till this weekend. Great game. I love the characters so far and the battle system to. Coming off my last RPG The Witcher its nice to have such a different game.

EX Hard Mode sounds crazy. No Edelweiss means no Orders. I just hope these aren't overpriced like some games I love and host on Sundays for Multiplayer.

[quote name='KingBroly']EX Hard Mode sounds crazy. No Edelweiss means no Orders. I just hope these aren't overpriced like some games I love and host on Sundays for Multiplayer.[/QUOTE]

Just because there's no Edelweiss doesn't mean that Welkin won't participate in battle -- if anything, he'll be a permanent scout. Which then begs the question of how does he lug around a radio.

My guess is all the DLC will cost ~$10-$15, possibly cheaper if Sega does a bundle deal.

[quote name='Ecofreak']Just because there's no Edelweiss doesn't mean that Welkin won't participate in battle -- if anything, he'll be a permanent scout. Which then begs the question of how does he lug around a radio.

My guess is all the DLC will cost ~$10-$15, possibly cheaper if Sega does a bundle deal.[/quote]

But that would go against the game's mechanics. When you have Welkin for the short amount of time he's outside of the Edelweiss you can't give Orders. It's also out in Japan and that's how it works.

My guess on the downloadable content pricing:

Hard EX Mode $2.99

Edy's Mission "Enter the Edy Detachment" $4.99

Selvaria's Mission "Behind Her Blue Flame"
$9.99

(assuming of course that they haven't been officially announced as of yet)

[quote name='thelonepig']My guess on the downloadable content pricing:

Hard EX Mode $2.99

Edy's Mission "Enter the Edy Detachment" $4.99

Selvaria's Mission "Behind Her Blue Flame"
$9.99

(assuming of course that they haven't been officially announced as of yet)[/QUOTE]

Missions are priced according to cup size?

[quote name='KingBroly']In Japan the prices were 300 yen, 600 yen and 800 yen respectively.[/quote]

So I'm not too far off if they use the same pricing structure - probably $3.99, $6.99, and $9.99? It would make sense with it coming in 3s, though I doubt pricing was part of that short media blitz.

[quote name='thelonepig']So I'm not too far off if they use the same pricing structure - probably $3.99, $6.99, and $9.99? It would make sense with it coming in 3s, though I doubt pricing was part of that short media blitz.[/quote]

The threes relates to 3 pieces of content. Not multiples in terms of the pricing structure. Considering how poorly the game did here, it'd be a mistake for them to charge $4 for an EXTRA DIFFICULTY LEVEL. Also, they'd be throwing away most of their good will people have had towards the game thus far by charging more than what Japan paid for it.

Have they said how many actual missions per pack? The Edy pack sounds like one but the Selvaria one sounds like it could be multiple. I'll have to wait and see how much content you actually get with each pack before I make any choices.

Also unless they've gone back and made significant changes like different enemy positions or loadouts, charging for a new difficulty level is poor form.

Well, if the FAQ I'm reading is right, then the Edy pack is 1 fight, and the Selvaria pack has 4 fights. Don't know what the hell it means by 2 paths, though.

My friend brought his PS3 into work and during some down time we hooked it up on the internets and I made him download the demo (I don't own a PS3) I freaking loved it and I don't normally like strategy games. The textures & art style looked amazing.

I'm gonna try and borrow a PS3 for a few weeks so I can play this.

I'm getting ready to take on Mission 17. Just maxed out my Scouts, Shocktroopers are at 16, and the rest are between 12 and 15.

Oh, and
Selvaria jiggles.

[quote name='thelonepig']Oh, and
Selvaria jiggles.
[/QUOTE]

Heh, saw a bit of that early on in one of the Chap 15 episodes. I'm on the second mission in Chap 15, it's a PITA. I think I have it figured out now after getting everyone killed a couple times.

i bought the game for $40, using the TRU promotion (B2G1 $20 off, both games need to be $40 +, and $20 off the lower priced one). The other game is at full price, but that's for a friend and he's paying it full (he knows, he just don't care).

If we can get a Valkyria Chronicles 2, a Skies of Arcadia 2, and a Shenmue 3 on PS3 at some point, I will die a happy man...

After all the shit sega has released the past few years, they can make great amends (at least to me XD!) with these three titles along.

[quote name='bob330i']Heh, saw a bit of that early on in one of the Chap 15 episodes. I'm on the second mission in Chap 15, it's a PITA. I think I have it figured out now after getting everyone killed a couple times.[/quote]

Isara's smoke shells were the only way I could get through that mission. I would start every round by dropping one right in front of Selvaria. Finished in 8 rounds. :D

[quote name='darkcecil32']If we can get a Valkyria Chronicles 2, a Skies of Arcadia 2, and a Shenmue 3 on PS3 at some point, I will die a happy man...

After all the shit sega has released the past few years, they can make great amends (at least to me XD!) with these three titles along.[/quote]

They could bury me right alongside you, just as content. I'm not holding out much hope for the latter two, but I do hope VC will merit at least a spiritual successor.

[quote name='darkcecil32']If we can get a Valkyria Chronicles 2, a Skies of Arcadia 2, and a Shenmue 3 on PS3 at some point, I will die a happy man...

After all the shit sega has released the past few years, they can make great amends (at least to me XD!) with these three titles along.[/QUOTE]

If anything, the next iteration of VC will probably be on a portable system due to the lower development cost and larger install base (unless it's on the Wii, which could be cool if implemented properly). Given that Sony is helping fund the upcoming anime, my bet would be the PSP.

If, and only if the PSP version does well, will we see another iteration on the PS3.

I do wish Shenmue 3 would be made. Absolutely adored Shenmue 2, even the whole disk where you're just walking in the forest and talking. Brilliant!

This game is perfect for me. I don't play it constantly but I play like a couple missions a month. I think with that much dosage it really makes it a great game.

[quote name='thelonepig']Isara's smoke shells were the only way I could get through that mission. I would start every round by dropping one right in front of Selvaria. Finished in 8 rounds. :D[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. Was using tanks as shields but that only blocks your way up to the stairs. She moves all over the place so using the smoke seems to be the way to go. Thanks.

Let us know what you think Monkey, if you liked the demo I think you will love the full game. :)

Hello to all the Valkyria fans here, I'm the community lead on Valkyria Chronicles over at SEGA and someone from the CAG boards commented on the SEGA Blog about a lot of Valkyria love over here. I wanted to say hey, and let you guys know that I'm going to see about getting some Valkyria merch secured to give away to your community, especially with our batch of DLC coming up soon.

[quote name='RubyEclipse']Let us know what you think Monkey, if you liked the demo I think you will love the full game. :)

Hello to all the Valkyria fans here, I'm the community lead on Valkyria Chronicles over at SEGA and someone from the CAG boards commented on the SEGA Blog about a lot of Valkyria love over here. I wanted to say hey, and let you guys know that I'm going to see about getting some Valkyria merch secured to give away to your community, especially with our batch of DLC coming up soon.[/quote]

I'll take one of these:

medium_3363190213_7695176122_o.png

Thanks! :cool:

[quote name='RubyEclipse']Let us know what you think Monkey, if you liked the demo I think you will love the full game. :)

Hello to all the Valkyria fans here, I'm the community lead on Valkyria Chronicles over at SEGA and someone from the CAG boards commented on the SEGA Blog about a lot of Valkyria love over here. I wanted to say hey, and let you guys know that I'm going to see about getting some Valkyria merch secured to give away to your community, especially with our batch of DLC coming up soon.[/QUOTE]

That was me! It worked!!!!! Welcome to our community :D. I figured just putting in a friendly hello and a jab at NeoGAF just to pimp our community for the game was enough, atleast more so than the people spamming about VGChartz!

Hello to all the Valkyria fans here, I'm the community lead on Valkyria Chronicles over at SEGA and someone from the CAG boards commented on the SEGA Blog about a lot of Valkyria love over here. I wanted to say hey, and let you guys know that I'm going to see about getting some Valkyria merch secured to give away to your community, especially with our batch of DLC coming up soon.[/QUOTE]

Oh man, awesome. You may not remember me, sir, but I was the guy who approached you about the Valkyria artbook at the very very end of the New York comic con. Thanks again!

WoW! Great job BostonCollege for getting some CAG recognition at the Sega boards! :applause: (I knew you had other talents besides soaking up my bullets in Killzone 2 ;))

Many of us have been keeping this thread alive, and the impending DLC has given it another second wind which will pick up once the new content is released, for sure.

Honestly we're just happy that Sega is continuing to support the game, as many of us wish its commercial sales did justice to its critical acclaim (which was justly earned).
Best of luck to you all at Sega -- hopefully the impending Valkyria Chronicles anime release in April, and re-release of the game as a Greatest Hits collection in Japan, will provide additional return on your investment.

BTW -- Here's a trailer for the new anime!!! :bouncy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um0SQRXWdFs

[quote name='Cpt Hooks']Would love to get in a group to game-share the new content. I'm sure others are interested also![/quote]

I know I'd be be in for it. Can't wait for specifics on dates and prices.

I haven't had the chance to play this game yet, but I was wondering when exactly does the anime take place? Before, during, after the game, or a complete spin-off? I don't want to read through the thread for fear of spoilers because I plan on playing the game soon, but does anyone know when it takes place chronologically? I'd like to know if I should play the game before watching the show. Thanks in advance.

[quote name='Ma12kez']I haven't had the chance to play this game yet, but I was wondering when exactly does the anime take place? Before, during, after the game, or a complete spin-off? I don't want to read through the thread for fear of spoilers because I plan on playing the game soon, but does anyone know when it takes place chronologically? I'd like to know if I should play the game before watching the show. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

It looks like it's a retelling of the game's story. Sounds like there's going to be some changes, although I have no idea what, exactly, will be different.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']This game is perfect for me. I don't play it constantly but I play like a couple missions a month. I think with that much dosage it really makes it a great game.[/quote]

That's how I find myself playing Valkyria Chronicles by playing a couple of missions in short batches. I love the game and it's really nice watercolour effect. Currently on Chapter 10 and will get through more tommorrow. Also I can't wait for the upcoming DLC content.

[quote name='BostonCollegeFan']That was me! It worked!!!!! Welcome to our community :D. I figured just putting in a friendly hello and a jab at NeoGAF just to pimp our community for the game was enough, atleast more so than the people spamming about VGChartz![/quote]
No worries about the jab; I was just honestly looking for the existing communities who loved the game, and the thread here definitely fit what I was looking for. :)

[quote name='SDC']Oh man, awesome. You may not remember me, sir, but I was the guy who approached you about the Valkyria artbook at the very very end of the New York comic con. Thanks again![/quote]

I remember you! Good to hear from you, though I have to admit most of my non-Valkyria NYCC memories are of really loud noises, bright lights, and a lot of MadWorld / Overkill. The Valkyria cosplayers that showed up did a fantastic job though, I would love to see if we could get more of them (maybe at San Diego Comic-con, if SEGA goes there?)

I noticed there's a free stuff section here on the site for contests; would it be easiest if I just worked with you guys here in the thread to give out the stuff, or should I drop a line to one of the site admins? Would love to give away the goods and spread the word about the game as much as possible, just want to make sure I play by the rules since I'm fairly new around here.

[quote name='RubyEclipse']I noticed there's a free stuff section here on the site for contests; would it be easiest if I just worked with you guys here in the thread to give out the stuff, or should I drop a line to one of the site admins? Would love to give away the goods and spread the word about the game as much as possible, just want to make sure I play by the rules since I'm fairly new around here.[/QUOTE]

Free VC stuff? shhhhh, just us only....O:)

Really, I don't know how that works with Cheapy and all.

Can't wait to finish the last couple chapters and for the DLC. No tank, gonna be tough.

DLC dates haven't announced yet right?

:reads above:

Wow, nice to see the Community leader for this game posting here.
He's right, there is a lot of love here for this game. It's amazing that I continue to see this thread bumped up with more VC talk.

[quote name='RubyEclipse']No worries about the jab; I was just honestly looking for the existing communities who loved the game, and the thread here definitely fit what I was looking for. :)

I remember you! Good to hear from you, though I have to admit most of my non-Valkyria NYCC memories are of really loud noises, bright lights, and a lot of MadWorld / Overkill. The Valkyria cosplayers that showed up did a fantastic job though, I would love to see if we could get more of them (maybe at San Diego Comic-con, if SEGA goes there?)

I noticed there's a free stuff section here on the site for contests; would it be easiest if I just worked with you guys here in the thread to give out the stuff, or should I drop a line to one of the site admins? Would love to give away the goods and spread the word about the game as much as possible, just want to make sure I play by the rules since I'm fairly new around here.[/QUOTE]

Free VC stuff would probably work best in this thread. :)

My first negative experience!

On Mission 18, Map 1, I had 2 Shocktroopers behind the Edelweiss (facing away). A Lancer walked right up, shot between them, and totalled the Edelweiss.

My issues with this: 1) Neither Shocktrooper fired at the Lancer during his lethargic jaunt to the rear of the Edelweiss and 2) The Lancer's shell went between both Shocktroopers, doing no damage to either despite there not being enough space between them for said shell to pass.

I'm still loving the game though. :D

Lancers similarly one-shotted my Edelweiss a few times and it sucked. I never bothered to upgrade the radiator armor since it was rarely attacked there, so it was usually pretty bad if anyone managed to sneak behind it.

Since I often had an engineer following the Edelweiss around, I'd just stick them directly behind it to try to absorb any rockets. Of course, now that I think about it, I can't remember ever actually having a lancer attack there once I had done that. At least it gave me some peace of mind. :)

Well I feel silly now. I forgot I could upgrade the radiator armor...

I rarely use either tank and even more rarely use commands. I imagine the game would be easier if I did, but I've got a strategy that has worked on nearly every map so why change?

On the New Game +, do you get to keep your levels/equipment/commands?

[quote name='thelonepig']Well I feel silly now. I forgot I could upgrade the radiator armor...

I rarely use either tank and even more rarely use commands. I imagine the game would be easier if I did, but I've got a strategy that has worked on nearly every map so why change?

On the New Game +, do you get to keep your levels/equipment/commands?[/QUOTE]

I'm fairly sure you keep everything, except that you may have to re-recruit soldiers?

[quote name='RubyEclipse']

I noticed there's a free stuff section here on the site for contests; would it be easiest if I just worked with you guys here in the thread to give out the stuff, or should I drop a line to one of the site admins? Would love to give away the goods and spread the word about the game as much as possible, just want to make sure I play by the rules since I'm fairly new around here.[/quote]

Ohh i'm pretty sure no one would mind if it stayed between us :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:, lol. I know I would love one of those awesome art books that have been announced as incoming:)

By the way, I dont know how much of a connection you have, but please please tell sega that this game, despite not selling well, is a gem! I wish the advertising was more pronounced, or maybe the release better timed, cause this could have been marketed as one of the best RPGs on the system, and would have been 100% correct.

Now, in other news though... Is it just me or do the load times REALLY suck :( Even after install, i feel it loads like 24/7.

Loving the game though (ranking my snipers up Hella high, i wanna one shot tanks practically, lol)

And on a related note, I totally second this, if no art books can be found >=3 lol. I'll probably import the sets anyways, it must be done!

[quote name='bvharris']I'll take one of these:

medium_3363190213_7695176122_o.png

Thanks! :cool:[/quote]

[quote name='reicaden']Now, in other news though... Is it just me or do the load times REALLY suck :( Even after install, i feel it loads like 24/7.[/QUOTE]

Load times were fine for me, no more than 30 seconds TOPS after I loaded the game (and that's probably an exaggeration).

Then again, I installed a larger hard drive that may have a faster read/write speed than the stock 80 GB one so that could be a factor.

bread's done
Back