Was bored, did mod.

Wireless SNES controllers :)

DSC02660.jpg

DSC02662.jpg

DSC02663.jpg

DSC02659.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome stuff as always!

[quote name='wiggyx']Well, supposedly they're the only ones that will easily play imports and backups without any hardware mods, but I've heard very mixed opinions about the subject. I.e. I've heard of people with post Oct 2000 machines that will work in that way, and pre-Oct 2000 machines that won't :/

But, it seems that the pre systems are the most likely to allow for this.

The two that I use are launch consoles (one JP, one US), so they are most assuredly pre-Oct 2000 boxes. I'll check the rest. They're all frankestiened to some degree at this point, so I can't rely on the serial numbers. I'll have to check the boards.[/QUOTE]
I could of course be wrong, but I think all Dreamcasts can play burned/imported games. I've certainly never seen one that couldn't. I think anyone who couldn't get it to work on their console was probably doing something wrong.

[quote name='wiggyx']Wireless SNES controllers :)[/QUOTE]

WHY MUST YOU TORMENT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I love the Neo Geo Pocket Light. That was a system that should have lasted much longer. Or at least gotten an english release of its Ogre Battle game.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Awesome stuff as always!

I could of course be wrong, but I think all Dreamcasts can play burned/imported games. I've certainly never seen one that couldn't. I think anyone who couldn't get it to work on their console was probably doing something wrong.[/QUOTE]

Thank you, sir. I most definitely value your opinion :)

That's what I always thought and have experienced, but I've heard so many conflicting opinions/experiences :/

[quote name='Strell']WHY MUST YOU TORMENT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee[/QUOTE]

Well, I do plan on offering a wireless mod along with the new shell. In fact, I'm building the prototype right now ;)

[quote name='Halo05']I love the Neo Geo Pocket Light. That was a system that should have lasted much longer. Or at least gotten an english release of its Ogre Battle game.[/QUOTE]

I 101% agree with you. I blame it on being linked to the Dreamcast, which of course was also killed WAY before it should have been :(

Hello I enjoy your work. It's pretty awesome. Would you ever consider doing projects for other CAGs? I have an old SNES controller with only one button that works. The black material covering the wires are kinda torn and in bad condition, but I tested it and that one button worked. I also have a Nintendo 64 that works fine, but it doesn't have a jumper pak. I used mine to test it. There's only one problem with it; the reset button has a screw in it. I believe a previous owner installed the screw to enable the reset button. I can take pictures if you're interested and would like to discuss the matter.

[quote name='wiggyx']Yeah, snap a pic or two and post or pm them :)[/QUOTE]
Here they are. I also found an RF adapter with no pin.

d90Pf.jpg

dqgv1.jpg

BaQ7E.jpg

R4jgn.jpg

G40e2.jpg

mw2bX.jpg

Wow, those look pretty rough. The controller can easily be fixed, as long as nothing is damaged inside.

The N64, no idea what that screw is actually doing there. What happens when you remove the screw?

The RF switch is junk, toss it. It's easily fixed, but really not worth it IMO. It would probably cost you more to ship it to me, have me fix it, and then pay for shipping back than it's worth. If you wanna try and fix it yourself, I can post a parts list, but like I said, it's not worth it. You can grab another used one for a few bucks, tops.

[quote name='wiggyx']Wow, those look pretty rough. The controller can easily be fixed, as long as nothing is damaged inside.

The N64, no idea what that screw is actually doing there. What happens when you remove the screw?

The RF switch is junk, toss it. It's easily fixed, but really not worth it IMO. It would probably cost you more to ship it to me, have me fix it, and then pay for shipping back than it's worth. If you wanna try and fix it yourself, I can post a parts list, but like I said, it's not worth it. You can grab another used one for a few bucks, tops.[/QUOTE]
Hey. The SNES controller seems as though all the buttons are "press-able" but only one button responds to the inputs. I've had this controller since the 90's. I believe an old dog I used to own chewed on it, which is why it looks like it does today.

I tried testing out the Nintendo 64 without the screw and the reset button works! Problem now is the hole from the screw. Haha. Also, I forgot to mention that the N64 has some cosmetic damage to the outside casing. The damaged area is covered in tape. I bought this system because it came with an Expansion Pak and I needed it for my other N64.

I'm gonna go ahead and give you the RF switch. You can use it for spare parts or whatever.

It happens. I'm not trying to insult you or anything. We can rebuild it. We have the technology. (cue Steve Austin running on a treadmill)

I actually have a spare N64 shell. Not sure how complete it is, but it should be enough to get yours patched up and looking good.

The SNES controller probably needs a good cleaning and some repair to the wire harness. You may lose about 6 inches of length if you have me repair it. It actually works out well that the damage is near the controller itself. I can just cut and splice the wiring inside the controller so that you won't have to see any sort of heat shrink covered joint elsewhere on the cord.

Do you have the means to open the N64? It would be sorta pricey to ship it here and back just to swap the shell. I'll gladly do it if you like, but it's a pretty straightforward job as long as you have a gamebit to open it with.

Shoot me a pm if you're interested in me taking care of them for ya. I'll gladly fix the RF switch too if you're already sending the other stuff. I may be able to re-use the connector on it, in which case there's zero charge for parts, and we're takin like 5 mintes of labor, tops. Basically, I'd do it for free ;)

[quote name='catabarez']You should try a wireless Dreamcast controller! I would buy several :D[/QUOTE]

I gotta get these SNES controllers 100% done before I even think about it. I'm slowly sorting through them right now. Still waiting on a few parts from digikey and China :/

I made this for a fellow over on the cover project and thought I'd share. GBA SP 001 front light, green power LED mod, and a custom clear blue Pac-Man 4-way ring (since the red one sticks out like a sore thumb). I just purchased a large lot of broken SP 001 units, so I've been busy adding their front lights to a bunch of portables that lack a front or back lighting :)

DSC02736.jpg

Original 4-way ring

DSC02734.jpg

Clear blue ring

DSC02733.jpg

DSC02737.jpg

The new ring was made with a simple casting process. Make silicone mold from original, mix resin and dye, cast new ring. It was a fun little project :)

DSC02702.jpg

DSC02703.jpg

DSC02701.jpg

I used to think I was cool because I had obscure stuff like a Wonderswan Crystal, a Neo Geo Pocket Color, etc...

...now I understand that I am a lowly slug :(

Wiggyx, if you ever start taking orders, and I'm finally settled in a place with all my nerd-dungeon contents with me, I can give you some business.

[quote name='wiggyx']Just let me know. I'll gladly whip one up for ya. Working on one right now for a someone :)[/QUOTE]

I'm moving in September. Once I get settled and have all my stuff sorted out, I'll give you a shout. Off the top of my head, I know I would like lights in my NGPC and Wonderswan Crystal. I'll let you know if I think of anything else between now and then.

[quote name='Halo05']I'm moving in September. Once I get settled and have all my stuff sorted out, I'll give you a shout. Off the top of my head, I know I would like lights in my NGPC and Wonderswan Crystal. I'll let you know if I think of anything else between now and then.[/QUOTE]

Sure, just let me know :)

[quote name='Cthulhu']Oh sure, make that stuff...but no Sega Satoaster! >.>

Also shouldn't you have a kickstarter going by now?[/QUOTE]

Satoaster is gonna take a lot of work :/

I got left hanging by the guy that I was supposed to partner up with. It hasn't halted the project, but it's slowed me down. I'm still working towards it. It's harder putting a proposal together for me than it is to design a product. I know how to design a product, I have no idea how to do the other crap, but I'm getting there. Slowly...

Tell me what you need to know about making a proposal and I'll be happy to help out...FOR A PRICE!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm4TG56KGZ4&feature=related[/youtube]

>.> But yeah, I can help out potentially.

Thank you!

[quote name='Dinky']Here they are. I also found an RF adapter with no pin.

d90Pf.jpg

dqgv1.jpg

BaQ7E.jpg

R4jgn.jpg

G40e2.jpg

mw2bX.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Everything is fixed!

DSC02798.jpg

This poor guy needed some serious love.

DSC02769.jpg

Cut the harness down about 5 inches and spliced it at the clip.

DSC02774.jpg

DSC02779.jpg

Unfortunately there was a series of cracks on the back of the PC board.

DSC02773.jpg

Didn't seem to matter at first, then I found a severed trace connected to the start button. Pretty much made the controller useless. NOTHING worked. No worries, patched it up.

DSC02795.jpg

Not sure why there's green marker here, but there isn't anymore. Cleaned all the pads on the board and buttons. Added a coat of dielectric grease to help with the connection on some of the more seriously worn pads.

DSC02772.jpg

The only other thing was a split in the sheathing about a foot from the controller. I could have re-sheathed, but that would honestly cost more than the controller is worth. A little heat shrink and it's not longer anything to worry about.

DSC02796.jpg

The RF switch had a broken signal wire. Just spliced in some old coax that I don't use anymore. It's pretty nice stuff and is pretty beefy with tons of shielding. It actually ends up being a pretty nice upgrade :)
(see first pic)

DSC02780.jpg

The N64 just had the broken shell and was dirty all up inside its gutty-wuts. Open, clean, slap in new shell. Done!

DSC02787.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02790.jpg

DSC02792.jpg

Just an FYI, I didn't post the pics of the N64 to embarrass you, they almost all look like this after 10+ years of use. Just wanted to show how tidy it is now ;)

[quote name='wiggyx']Thank you!

Everything is fixed!

DSC02798.jpg

This poor guy needed some serious love.

DSC02769.jpg

Cut the harness down about 5 inches and spliced it at the clip.

DSC02774.jpg

DSC02779.jpg

Unfortunately there was a series of cracks on the back of the PC board.

DSC02773.jpg

Didn't seem to matter at first, then I found a severed trace connected to the start button. Pretty much made the controller useless. NOTHING worked. No worries, patched it up.

DSC02795.jpg

Not sure why there's green marker here, but there isn't anymore. Cleaned all the pads on the board and buttons. Added a coat of dielectric grease to help with the connection on some of the more seriously worn pads.

DSC02772.jpg

The only other thing was a split in the sheathing about a foot from the controller. I could have re-sheathed, but that would honestly cost more than the controller is worth. A little heat shrink and it's not longer anything to worry about.

DSC02796.jpg

The RF switch had a broken signal wire. Just spliced in some old coax that I don't use anymore. It's pretty nice stuff and is pretty beefy with tons of shielding. It actually ends up being a pretty nice upgrade :)
(see first pic)

DSC02780.jpg

The N64 just had the broken shell and was dirty all up inside its gutty-wuts. Open, clean, slap in new shell. Done!

DSC02787.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

DSC02790.jpg

DSC02792.jpg

Just an FYI, I didn't post the pics of the N64 to embarrass you, they almost all look like this after 10+ years of use. Just wanted to show how tidy it is now ;)[/QUOTE]

Lol. Thanks. I appreciate it.

[quote name='F33L']god damn thats really pretty! well done[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

[quote name='dragoon99']Very cool mods. I look forward to seeing more. Do you have an electronics background?

Hope you get the wireless SNES controllers sorted. Never seen an oldschool controllers done up wirelessly before.

Have you seen the Nintoaster? The guy filmed the entire process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDGR2MiCyYs[/QUOTE]

Actually Industrial Design, but I'm a BIG time tinkerer. I used to take apart all my toys as a kid to see how they worked. Made my mother absolutely nuts! I always got em back together and working though ;)

Yup, seen the toaster. I LOVE the how-to video. Makes me laugh every time :D

[quote name='ZombieToast']Wiggy has a background in engineering, I believe.[/QUOTE]

At this point, I really wish I did have some proper engineering training. It would be a massive help, especially electrical.

[quote name='slowdive21']Quick question. I picked up one of these at a thrift store for $4.99 and the 'down' on the stick is not registering. The light indicator is not lighting up either for the down direction. Do you have any experience with these controllers? If it is an easy fix, I'll keep it. TIA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNES-Conque...1814928199168928969&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1&[/QUOTE]

Are you willing to pop it apart for me so I can see its gutty-wuts? I'm not sure if that thing uses micro switches (I somehow doubt it) or the ol' contact pad in silicone deal. May just need a Q-tip and some isopropyl ;)

Oh right, now I remember you saying that you were an industrial designer. I couldn't remember the proper name at the time, so I just went with Engineer. Heh. Either way, you've got most of us beat. I've done a ton of tinkering (I too took apart every toy and electronic as a kid), but I haven't got a lick of patience or creativity when it comes to this stuff.

I always explain Industrial Design to people like this:

"Do you what drawing is? Well, I draw toasters and wheel barrows and door knobs and glucose meters etc."

:p

[quote name='wiggyx']Thanks!

Actually Industrial Design, but I'm a BIG time tinkerer. I used to take apart all my toys as a kid to see how they worked. Made my mother absolutely nuts! I always got em back together and working though ;)

Yup, seen the toaster. I LOVE the how-to video. Makes me laugh every time :D
[/QUOTE]

That video is awesome! Only, why all the rampant Game Genie killing? I am fairly certain that you can find a 72 pin edge card connector from Digikey - probably for much cheaper. Then you wouldn't have that tedious desoldering job either.

[quote name='M_Carp']That video is awesome! Only, why all the rampant Game Genie killing? I am fairly certain that you can find a 72 pin edge card connector from Digikey - probably for much cheaper. Then you wouldn't have that tedious desoldering job either.[/QUOTE]

Find me one with the same pin design as the SNES and that's what I'll use from now on. I love Digikey just as much as any other hack and slasher, but finding that exact item may be more headache than it's worth. Reading data sheet after data sheet in order to figure out what part would be needed isn't much fun. Game Genies are plentiful and cheap, I don't have to do much searching to find them, and I know the parts will get the job done :)

[quote name='wiggyx']I always explain Industrial Design to people like this:

"Do you what drawing is? Well, I draw toasters and wheel barrows and door knobs and glucose meters etc."

:p[/QUOTE]
Ha ha. That's basically how my high school counselor explained Ag Mechanics to me. I really enjoyed drawing at the time, so that class was his suggestion. Little did I know that when I got there, I'd be assembling toolboxes, welding boat hitches, and wiring electrical outlets/light switches. We didn't draw a damn thing in that class...

Oh man, I hear ya. Went into the program and was designing all these crazy off-the-wall things. In real life you get to design shower grab rails for the elderly/handicapped, wall anchors, dehumidifier control panel layout, and commercial AC shrouds.

Woo-hoo! Bring on the mundane! LOL!

I also do very little drawing at this point. Did freakin' tons in school. Not so much out of school.

[quote name='wiggyx']Find me one with the same pin design as the SNES and that's what I'll use from now on. I love Digikey just as much as any other hack and slasher, but finding that exact item may be more headache than it's worth. Reading data sheet after data sheet in order to figure out what part would be needed isn't much fun. Game Genies are plentiful and cheap, I don't have to do much searching to find them, and I know the parts will get the job done :)[/QUOTE]

I saw this one mentioned in an instructable - I haven't verified all of the measurements yet myself, but the people there usually are pretty good about that sort of thing (it was in the one about building the "portable" NES)

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/5530843-8/A31721-ND/770547?cur=USD

(Here is the source instructable)
http://www.instructables.com/id/How...me-System/step13/Add-the-Cartridge-Connector/

That'll work for an NES, but the pins don't look to be the same as in the SNES :/

It may work, but I'd have to buy one to find out.

Dreamcast VMU, why you eat battery so much? Makes a wiggy sad when he want to play your stupid mini game.

I fix.

DSC02825.jpg

DSC02827.jpg

DSC02826.jpg

DSC02829.jpg

DSC02831.jpg

Connected to an old GB phat AC adapter. Gets the job done :)

Also knocked this out. Was sick of looking at Genny games through composite.

DSC02870.jpg

S-Video mod with one-off 1/8" mini jack to S-Vid cable.

DSC02871.jpg

DSC02872.jpg

I tucked a tiny little SMD LED under the power switch while I was at it too :)

01FD83B9-92A3-4F4D-99F8-5C5ABE895415-638-0000004F3AFA5966.jpg

E2C57F79-373E-43D9-BE75-4E16425CEF01-638-0000004F42EB8961.jpg

And by tiny, I mean tiny.

DSC02852.jpg

I think I'd like for you to move into my place for a while so you can just rigging up random shit for us. Heck, maybe you could even put some value into our house so we can have a better time selling it.

Also, you reminded me that I need to go Tim Taylor on my kid's Elefun game. You know, the plastic elephant that blows butterflies into the air? This thing has absolutely no power, so my plan is to hook it up to a 6V AC adapter and cross my fingers.

Gladly! Just gotta finish the million or so unfinished projects in my house first :p

I haven't seen that toy, but adding more chutzpah to anything is usually a pretty good plan in my book :)

What kind of juice is it running on now, 3V? I'd just be careful to not overload the motor. Although, if you do, it's an excuse to buy a beefier motor for it ;)

Also, I will have backlight mods for the old GBA for sale very soon...

6AE08595-54BE-4445-820B-2C3E9C4740FC-294-0000007F74BE78C7.jpg

No light
Front light
Back light

[quote name='wiggyx']Gladly! Just gotta finish the million or so unfinished projects in my house first :p

I haven't seen that toy, but adding more chutzpah to anything is usually a pretty good plan in my book :)

What kind of juice is it running on now, 3V? I'd just be careful to not overload the motor. Although, if you do, it's an excuse to buy a beefier motor for it ;)[/QUOTE]
I don't recall how much power it usually runs on; I'll have to check in a bit. It actually might already run on 6V...in which case, I just might have to kick it up to 9V. I plan on taking care of everything sometime this week. I'm not too worried about killing the motor because I actually found a cheap Elefun at Goodwill that I can use for practice before I mess with my son's.

Cool GBA mods, wiggyx. I have a few GBAs, but one needs a new rubber contact pad, but still would like them fixed one day.

Maybe you should put a guide out first so others can learn how to do these amazing things.
Did you obtain a new LCD screen for the backlit ones or you found a new way to do this given the hardware's limitations?

Javery and wiggy need to team up. The results would be spectacular. And since it's my idea, I'll get all the credit for their hard work.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Cool GBA mods, wiggyx. I have a few GBAs, but one needs a new rubber contact pad, but still would like them fixed one day.

Maybe you should put a guide out first so others can learn how to do these amazing things.
Did you obtain a new LCD screen for the backlit ones or you found a new way to do this given the hardware's limitations?[/QUOTE]

A contact pad for one of the buttons? I have extras here. Which one do you need?

Well, I'm actually going to start selling kits VERY soon. I have a supplier through which I can buy the backlight mod screens and adapters for the GBA (using GBA SP 101 screens), backlight kits for the older systems that can be backlit (like the GB, GB Pocket, Neo Geo Pocket B&W, and Wonderswan B&W), and also front light kits for the newer systems (GB Color, Neo Geo Pocket Color, WonderSwan Color/Crystal).

If you can hang tight for a bit, then I'll probably post a group buy thread in the next day or two (as long as that sort of thing is allowed here).

[quote name='Javery']Awesome stuff going on in this thread.[/QUOTE]

Thank you!

[quote name='Strell']Javery and wiggy need to team up. The results would be spectacular. And since it's my idea, I'll get all the credit for their hard work.[/QUOTE]

Pardon my ignorance, but what's Javery known for? I guess I could just ask him myself...

I tell ya, I could really use the help of someone else. It's really tough trying to start a new brand up like this. I've done one product line before, but I'm trying to do a lot more with this stuff :(

P.S. Credit is all yours ;)

bread's done
Back