Was bored, did mod.

Javery builds arcade cabinets. You can see some in his sig. I like to classify it as him forging tiny galaxies of digital life, replete with virtual ecosystems giving rise to binary evolution.

I think of Javery as like Hank Hill, but as a lawyer, and in New York City, because he's a yankee.

Thank you! My GBA's dpad is broken and I hope that it's just the rubber contact part. I can't press down anymore, due to something weird with the rubber contact part.

It's probably just a little crusty. Not at all atypical. Pop it apart, grab a Q-tip, soak it really well with some isopropyl (rubbing alcohol), and then give the pad and contact area on the board a really good scrub with it. I'm willing to wager that will solve the problem. The only time I've seen those things actually fail is when the silicone piece gets worn and the little button "dome" detaches itself from the rest of the part. There's no fix except for replacement when that happens :(

[quote name='Strell']Javery builds arcade cabinets. You can see some in his sig. I like to classify it as him forging tiny galaxies of digital life, replete with virtual ecosystems giving rise to binary evolution.

I think of Javery as like Hank Hill, but as a lawyer, and in New York City, because he's a yankee.[/QUOTE]

Ah, that is something that would be really cool to offer :D

Also, love your wonderfully verbose descriptions LOL!

[quote name='Strell']Javery builds arcade cabinets. You can see some in his sig. I like to classify it as him forging tiny galaxies of digital life, replete with virtual ecosystems giving rise to binary evolution.

I think of Javery as like Hank Hill, but as a lawyer, and in New York City, because he's a yankee.[/QUOTE]

Haha that's an awesome description. I've got the bug to build something again (and I'm in the process of finishing up 2 other projects) but my house situation is in flux and probably won't be settled until March or April of next year so no workshop. :cry:

Maybe I'll try taking on something a little smaller in scope than a full-sized machine...

[quote name='detectiveconan16']The rubber contact part broke as it turns out.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think I do have an extra. Lemme check and get back to ya.

[quote name='Javery']Haha that's an awesome description. I've got the bug to build something again (and I'm in the process of finishing up 2 other projects) but my house situation is in flux and probably won't be settled until March or April of next year so no workshop. :cry:

Maybe I'll try taking on something a little smaller in scope than a full-sized machine...[/QUOTE]

Tabletop PC-based mini arcade machines? Cold be the next big thing? I'd be all over one, that's for sure :)

Seriously, I'd love to make something like Bella's Arcade for my son. I plan on giving him a hacked Wii loaded full of ROMs, but that would be so much cooler.

That's about the cutest thing ever, especially the pic of her playing on her tippy-toes!

Javery, that's some beautiful work that you do :D

[quote name='wiggyx']That's about the cutest thing ever, especially the pic of her playing on her tippy-toes!

Javery, that's some beautiful work that you do :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks! It's a lot of fun.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Seriously, I'd love to make something like Bella's Arcade for my son. I plan on giving him a hacked Wii loaded full of ROMs, but that would be so much cooler.[/QUOTE]

Do it! Bella's Arcade was my first try at building something and it came out better than I could have imagined.

I'm definitely considering it. I don't have the means right now, but thankfully, I have a couple of years before my little guy's ready to play those kinds of games.

Maybe this is a good place to ask this: Where does one learn how to use such tools? I want to be Hank Hill Tier levels of handyman, but have no clue where you would go to learn such things. That isn't to say I'm bad with tools - I just need guidance.

Oh, and tools. I need those too.

And a place to put them.

The last thing is actually the most important. I've always had an interest in building things but I never really had the room to work on something like this until I had my own house.

The tools are so easy - honestly, for power tools all you need is a router (and some fancy bits) and a jigsaw and you can make just about anything. You can get really good ones for less than $100 each. Just read the instructions, measure 5 times and then measure again before cutting and ALWAYS WITHOUT EXCEPTION wear safety glasses. There are some woodworking forums where people will explain stuff if you have specific questions. No one ever showed me how to use anything but I did watch a TON of New Yankee Workshop for whatever that's worth.

[quote name='wiggyx']
Also, I will have backlight mods for the old GBA for sale very soon...
[/QUOTE]

Would definitely like to see that. Was literally about to list my original GBA on eBay this week but may have to rethink that. :)

Also, with regards to the SNES Game Genie mod you did a little extra work that wasn't necessary. You only have to add the connectors to one side of it to make it compatible with Super FX titles, not both (forget which side, don't have it in front of me at the moment obviously). Modded my GG about 13 years ago and works like a champ with Super FX titles. If you look closely at the circuit board of any Super FX cart, one side has no traces going to it at all lol.

[quote name='Strell']Addendum: I'd also like to be like Ron Swanson.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't we all... There will be no video games. There will be no internet pads.

[quote name='Strell']Maybe this is a good place to ask this: Where does one learn how to use such tools? I want to be Hank Hill Tier levels of handyman, but have no clue where you would go to learn such things. That isn't to say I'm bad with tools - I just need guidance.

Oh, and tools. I need those too.

And a place to put them.[/QUOTE]

Like Javery said, the last one is the really important one. Tools are easy to come by without spending too much money, but storing them in a reasonable fashion can be a challenge. Big tool sheds are expensive and you don't want to just dump them all in a big tool bag like I do because the lack of organization will drive you crazy. I'm still trying to figure out a good way to organize my tools and hardware without wasting a ton of space.

As mentioned, acquiring tools is simple. Home Depot is your friend here. And they also hold a lot of workshops where they teach you all kinds of useful DIY stuff. I want to say they're free, but I'm really not sure. For the most part, though, you can usually rely on Youtube videos. Seriously, one 3-minute video was all the guidance I needed to fix the plumbing issues in our house (we had a couple of leaky faucets and I needed to replace a spigot outside). I learned electrical wiring, welding, and woodworking in high school (buying assembly-required furniture also helped) but I think it's safe to assume there are tons of videos for these things as well.

Some stuff it's best to have someone show and help you in person. Table saws, lathe, table router, chop/miter saw, etc. Those tools can be EXTREMELY dangerous if not used correctly.

Things like a skill saw, band saw, drill/drill press, etc are pretty damned easy to use and not slice off a finger or two while learning ;)

Wiggy's workshop (tm) could be either a school for tools to learn how to use tools, or it could be a web series demonstrating simple mods. Either way I now own rights to the name, that will then be seized by CAG.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']So this is the replacement screen you're talking about: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=14045909056 for a kit? Seems interesting, and the price is reasonable at $19ish American.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly the fellow that I'm working with! It only requires a special ribbon cable if you already have an SP 101 that you willing to cannibalize, otherwise screens are available :)

[quote name='detectiveconan16']The rubber contact part broke as it turns out.[/QUOTE]

I don't have any extras it seems. Looks like I fixed all the busted units that I had sitting around. Check eBay for broken GBAs. They're all over the place.

[quote name='Nogib']Would definitely like to see that. Was literally about to list my original GBA on eBay this week but may have to rethink that. :)

Also, with regards to the SNES Game Genie mod you did a little extra work that wasn't necessary. You only have to add the connectors to one side of it to make it compatible with Super FX titles, not both (forget which side, don't have it in front of me at the moment obviously). Modded my GG about 13 years ago and works like a champ with Super FX titles. If you look closely at the circuit board of any Super FX cart, one side has no traces going to it at all lol.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know I did. I was looking at a few different FX games and some only us one of those extra contacts. It wasn't like it was a ton of extra work ;) Plus, there are tons of games that have some sort of extra chipset, and I can't speak for all of them, so better safe than sorry I guess.

[quote name='slowdive21']Wiggy's workshop (tm) could be either a school for tools to learn how to use tools, or it could be a web series demonstrating simple mods. Either way I now own rights to the name, that will then be seized by CAG.[/QUOTE]

LOL! I just sent in the paperwork to register "Wiggy's Workshop". It's mine now, sucka! :p

But for real, I am actually in the process of writing up a few "wiggy FAQs". Hopefully I'll have at least that to share soon.

[quote name='wiggyx']
LOL! I just sent in the paperwork to register "Wiggy's Workshop". It's mine now, sucka! :p

But for real, I am actually in the process of writing up a few "wiggy FAQs". Hopefully I'll have at least that to share soon.[/QUOTE]

I have a BS in Marketing, so I have 1,000s of ideas and no drive to pursue any of them. LMK if you need my services. :lol:

Marketing has proven to be a massive hurdle for me. It's something that I have zero training or experience with. Well, very little experience anyway. I'll shoot you a pm :)

Thanks!

So, I got my first custom faceplate that I've been working on for a while in today. I'll be selling these along with all sorts of other goodies when I finally get my brand properly launched (see sig).

9118263E-32BB-4DBB-B95A-F5FB75BAFB24-2449-00000167A8D74C24.jpg

3093C478-8F16-41AB-ACD4-6CB0C66743AC-2449-00000167C188F2AE.jpg

09E41682-C57C-454E-9954-3D19B6C61EB6-2464-000001683FFCBAB3.jpg

[quote name='wiggyx']Thanks!

So, I got my first custom faceplate that I've been working on for a while in today. I'll be selling these along with all sorts of other goodies when I finally get my brand properly launched (see sig).

9118263E-32BB-4DBB-B95A-F5FB75BAFB24-2449-00000167A8D74C24.jpg

3093C478-8F16-41AB-ACD4-6CB0C66743AC-2449-00000167C188F2AE.jpg

09E41682-C57C-454E-9954-3D19B6C61EB6-2464-000001683FFCBAB3.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Hey Wiggy, do you have a website? I've been stalking you thru the CAG forums and am impressed... but mostly jealous.

Hey wiggy can you show me how I can fix my N64 controller. The end that plugs into the console got messed up and loose. I took it apart and had a temp. fix on it but it was always a loose connection and now I took it apart and the wire broke.

If I take pics can you give any tips putting it back together.

1487CC71-B6B3-4ADF-A2E1-E349DED911DF-1481-000000E5984DEB18_zps0d9b0ff0.jpg

SP: Oh hai, I am teh slightly gross and sorta busted :/
GB: For reals? Me too! My screen is totally fubared and I'm missing my screen cover :(
SP: Maybe we should get together?
GB: Sounds good, lets give it a go...

3958C278-275D-445A-B5FF-FD825A771AF8-1481-000000E58E976A90_zpsd69d645a.jpg

This white wire broke off from this end of this metal tip.
Snapshot_20120922_zps9a89654d.jpg
Snapshot_20120922_1_zpsda234897.jpg
Snapshot_20120922_4_zps90c01ddf.jpg

I'm assuming the only was to re connect it is to solder it. Which I can't do since I don't have the gun.

Also once I can connect it I need to know in what order they plug into those 3 holes to match the port of the console. I tried every order last time but the connection must have been loose. After trying so many combos the wire finally broke. I had it fixed before the white wire broke but it was always a loose connection and stopped working a lot.

If I have to buy a solder gun I will I have put it off for too long and on too much of a budget not to. I hate to have to buy a replacement controller for something I know what's wrong with it but can't do anything.

I think then ill start replacing batteries. I know lots of people with dead battery cartridges for really cheap good games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I'd just re-solder that sucker. You can get a really cheap 15W iron from places like Radioshack (hell, that's what I use). They're like 10 bucks. Totally worth it if you're tinkering with any gaming restoration.

An og GB with GBA internals, that's just an abomination. Get the pitchforks everyone, kill the monster!

I show ya once it's all sorted out. They're gonna be on the backside, but their exact placement is gonna depend slightly on what mods I have to do to the PC boards.

[quote name='wiggyx']Hecks yeah I am! It's coming along pretty well too :)

Even kept the ol' SP brightness button ;)[/QUOTE]

Okay, that's pretty awesome. :D

I'd love to see how you addressed the battery placement when you're done. (as well as how you sorted out the cartridge slot)

Battery placement is actually the least of my problems LOL! It's just gonna end up in the GB battery compartment (or where it use to be).

I decided to make an adapter cart for GBA games. Trying to make one port or two separate ports so that the unit will work with both GB/GBC and GBA games was going to be REALLY difficult. I was running out of room, and I just didn't want to spend hours upon hours finding a solution. This does the job and makes my life sooooo much easier. I'll clean it up, make a retro 1989 style label for it, and call that part done!

DSC02948.jpg

DSC02949.jpg

DSC02950.jpg

Unfortunately a copy of Tetris had to give its life for this to happen :(

I want all of wiggy's skills, but I'd settle to know what he used to make that sticker from start to end (program to generate the image, what kind of printer, what kind of sticker material, how to ensure it's the right size).

[quote name='Strell']I want all of wiggy's skills, but I'd settle to know what he used to make that sticker from start to end (program to generate the image, what kind of printer, what kind of sticker material, how to ensure it's the right size).[/QUOTE]

I know! I am more impressed with the label, than the soldering. No offense Wiggy.

You know, this is becoming one of my favorite threads on CAG...Really nice work, Wiggy.

P.S. How's that Toaster Saturn progressing? :D

[quote name='slowdive21']I am more impressed with the label, than the soldering. No offense Wiggy.[/QUOTE]

Well, soldering isn't supposed to be seen, so you don't always need it to be pretty. I can't argue with that label, it looks extremely slick and professional.

Wiggy, where do you find time for all of these awesome projects? Also, I've been thinking of creating an animated series that focuses on custom arcade cabinet construction. If I get it off the ground, would you be interested in guest-starring with some of your wild creations?

Considering all the work Wiggy has done over at The Cover Project, that label doesn't surprise me at all. I imagine he probably slapped that together with minimal effort. And I assume the CP site probably has all of the info needed for making labels. It does indeed look very nice, however. It makes me wish I had a reason to do this...but sadly, my GB and GBA SP are in perfect condition. Darn my luck.

bread's done
Back