Was bored, did mod.

[quote name='Strell']I want all of wiggy's skills, but I'd settle to know what he used to make that sticker from start to end (program to generate the image, what kind of printer, what kind of sticker material, how to ensure it's the right size).[/QUOTE]

It wasn't actually that involved. I used some vector images that I made of the GB and GBA SP for the covers that I make, then assembled the graphics in Adobe Illustrator using a label scan that I found on TCP as a template. I printed on pretty low quality paper. It was actually just some old stamps.com shipping label paper that I have sitting around. The label has virtually zero color, so I didn't bother with anything fancy. Then I just "ghetto laminated" it (packing tape over the label). Works like a charm ;)

[quote name='slowdive21']I know! I am more impressed with the label, than the soldering. No offense Wiggy.[/QUOTE]

None at all taken :)

The label, and other detail stuff like that, is honestly my favorite part about projects like this. I LOVE obsessing over details :D

[quote name='Number83']You know, this is becoming one of my favorite threads on CAG...Really nice work, Wiggy.

P.S. How's that Toaster Saturn progressing? :D[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

It's pretty far down the list. I still gotta finish those wireless SNES controllers and then it's on to consolized MVS territory...

[quote name='Richard Kain']Well, soldering isn't supposed to be seen, so you don't always need it to be pretty. I can't argue with that label, it looks extremely slick and professional.

Wiggy, where do you find time for all of these awesome projects? Also, I've been thinking of creating an animated series that focuses on custom arcade cabinet construction. If I get it off the ground, would you be interested in guest-starring with some of your wild creations?[/QUOTE]

I seriously don't sleep very much. If you look over my post history here and on TCP, you'll notice that I post at pretty much all times of day/night. It's been asked a few times before on various forums, so I may as well confess at this point.

I have quite severe ADHD and mild bipolar disorder, the combo of which is pretty rare. I didn't even make it through high school. It was so bad by the time I was 16 that I simply couldn't get ANY school work done. I dropped out, got my GED literally days later, then eventually went back to college about 7 years later. Imagine having an idea that gets you really excited. Now imagine that idea and 5 or 6 others happening at the same time, ALL THE TIME. As you can prolly imagine, sleeping with that going on just isn't gonna happen :p

My current doc has actually found a pretty solid combo of some newer meds that keep me pretty well grounded and relatively on task. Believe it or not, this is me in slow motion LOL!

[quote name='Fallen_Shadow94']wow i like the gamecube mod you did.
God job!:applause:[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

I actually had to go back and search through the thread for that one. I'd forgotten about it LOL!

That one was really fun. It was one of the first times I actually fabricated a part for a mod (the clear lid).

[quote name='ZombieToast']Considering all the work Wiggy has done over at The Cover Project, that label doesn't surprise me at all. I imagine he probably slapped that together with minimal effort. And I assume the CP site probably has all of the info needed for making labels. It does indeed look very nice, however. It makes me wish I had a reason to do this...but sadly, my GB and GBA SP are in perfect condition. Darn my luck.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, not at all to brag, but you're right. It was a really quick job. Like I was saying, I had already built the vector console images, so it was just a matter of pushing graphics around until I liked the result then hitting print :D But it DID take a long time to build those vector drawings.

I do this sort of thing because I really enjoy the process. I DEFINITELY don't need yet another GB ;) In fact, I think I'll end up selling this when all is said and done.

And just so I'm adding something, I finished the adapter. Took a little glue, body filler and paint. All done!

66D80852-08FE-46BC-8062-817A0ADEC57C-3936-0000028A73A2A532.jpg

B1F37BD8-1BCA-4445-970D-43591D8C9202-3936-0000028A79C42753.jpg

A little Plexiglass, some acrylic bond, and a dash of black paint ;)

It was so light. I remember it popped open really fast. Seemed like it was just gonna fly right off the top of the 'Cube every time LOL!

All this talk of modding inspired an idea to pop into my head. There have been a lot of advances in 3D printing lately, especially for home-built rigs. An experienced 3D printer could probably design and print custom classic game cartridge shells. They would be able to pick out the color of the plastic they used, and even have embossing or even some light sculpted art added to the face. I would imagine such a project would be best applied to NES cartridges, as their flat format would be a good fit for this sort of application. (plenty of "canvas" to work with)

There are a number of really great tabletop options out there for around 1K. A 3D printer is really high on my wants list.

The issues with 3D printing are little to no choice of color, fragile parts, and lots of hand finishing required for any part. It's really great for prototyping, but terrible for anything that you wanna produce in any sort of volume because of all those things. For the price I paid for that SNES shell prototype, I coulda paid for 3/4 to 4/5 of my own printer :/

Hopefully soon...

This is me doing my best wiggy impression.. This is my first semester at the University of Arkansas and I figured I should give my xbox a make over before I moved in. It's just a shame our football team sucks this year haha. Hardly as impressive as most of the stuff posted in this thread (many little flaws and stuff I messed up on here and there as well) but I'm really happy with it for a first try.

Man, that must have been painstaking to cut that! Did you use a dremel or something similar?

It looks pretty solid from here. Nice work!

Also, are you a Clevelander? I'm just looking at your sig.

Yeah I actually give the credit to my dad for that haha, used a dremel to cut the general shape of it then one of those rounded bits to sand it off. Probably wasn't as difficult as it looks. Thanks wiggy! I'm thinking of doing a few more and selling them on craigslist when I'm done with this semester. Might be a quick and fun way to make some cash on the side.

I'm actually from New York, I know, kind of weird, a Cleveland fan who goes to school in Arkansas and lives in NY haha but my dad ran a marathon there in 08 and we went to a Cavs / Celtics playoff game and I've been a fan ever since

yeah man, make some and cash in! Prolly make yourself a little template and just run the dremel around inside it with a side cutting bit. That should cut serious time off ;)

Cleveland fans are seriously serious, for serious!

That's actually how I got started on the SNES shell project. I noticed how incredibly small the guts of the N64 were, and that the massive heat sink was all that was taking up the real estate inside that thing. I even have a fan setup for mine too, just like that guy. I think the only big difference is that I gutted the original AC adapter and soldered it right to the board so all that you would need is a simple power cord like the PS/PS2, Xbox 1, etc. it's sorta been on the back burner forever now. All the parts just sit in a plastic basket on one of my shelves. I really wanna get back to it at some point soon. That video makes me wanna drag it out and work on it :D

That guy did some really nice paint! Never been a fan of painted controllers, since painted surfaces really aren't meant to be handled like that, but it sure does look good. He prolly just displays with that controller, but plays with others. At least that's what I would do. Strong body work there too. Definitely took his time and did it right!

I didn't watch the video, but he probably used automotive paint. It seems to be the trick to keep them in nice shape after use. Originally, I planned on making custom paint NES systems, that were completely tested, disabled security chip (to stop the blinkies), new pin connectors, and LED color choice, but I never finish anything and I have no actual electronics experience. I did take an electronics class in college (asd an elective) and have always been good in math and science, but I have never done the physical application.

Oh, I'm SURE he used proper automotive finishes. Still, glossy surfaces just show every little spec of dust, dirt, & grease. Just no good for stuff that's gonna be handled to death IMO.

Dude, buy a cheap NES deck, and start hacking. I have ZERO training in this sort of thing. I just like to take things apart and tinker ;)

Plus, the stuff that you're talking about doing is not too tricky and all and it would be difficult to seriously damage the thing. Buy something cheap so you won't feel bad if/when you break it. It's sooooo satisfying when you get a job like that done. Do it to it!

[quote name='wiggyx']Still, glossy surfaces just show every little spec of dust, dirt, & grease. Just no good for stuff that's gonna be handled to death IMO.[/QUOTE]
Very true; I just hate it when companies use glossy finishes for their handheld devices. The 3DS is one exception, however. It still shows grease/fingerprints, but because of the method they used (as well as the sparkle finish), you can barely notice. You have to be looking for the dirt to notice it. That guy's controller could be the same way. Still, I imagine it would start to feel uncomfortable after a while, especially during summer.

[quote name='slowdive21']This would be a nice color:

[/QUOTE]

Just looked into that paint process. Holy shit! That stuff must cost an absolute fortune and I doubt that it's even available on a consumer level at this point :/

It uses essentially micro pigment so that the particles align on a much smoother plane, which in turn makes metallic finish look like raw metal :shock: Mix in a candy blue and, POOF, you've got that crazy finish.

Madness!

[quote name='ZombieToast']Very true; I just hate it when companies use glossy finishes for their handheld devices. The 3DS is one exception, however. It still shows grease/fingerprints, but because of the method they used (as well as the sparkle finish), you can barely notice. You have to be looking for the dirt to notice it. That guy's controller could be the same way. Still, I imagine it would start to feel uncomfortable after a while, especially during summer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, all slippery-like. I give it a big no thank you. I already have issues with slippery hands because I sweat a LOT.

[quote name='wiggyx']Just looked into that paint process. Holy shit! That stuff must cost an absolute fortune and I doubt that it's even available on a consumer level at this point :/

It uses essentially micro pigment so that the particles align on a much smoother plane, which in turn makes metallic finish look like raw metal :shock: Mix in a candy blue and, POOF, you've got that crazy finish.

Madness!
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my Dad was in the chemicals/paint industry, so I have a tiny bag of a similar product. I remember him telling me it was more expensive than gold per ounce at the time.

I sure as hell believe it!

I guess I'll post this here.

I'm working on the GBA back light mod instruction manual for the kits that I'll have for sale VERY soon. Ugh, a ton of work. I think it'll be worth it in the end, plus the guy that makes em for me will have a nice looking manual with the original Chinese text for his own purposes :D

Here's a little preview. Trying to make it fun, clean, and easy to follow.

manualprev1.jpg

manualprev2.jpg

Back to work...

I wrap my controllers in microfiber cloths when I'm using them (started doing this around 2005). If that isn't OCD, I don't know what is, but at least it keeps them looking brand new. :[

Hahaha, that's usually the first thing people that come over tell me (on the very rare occasions that we end up playing video games, anyway).

Honestly, when you're playing something, you don't even notice that there's anything. In fact, I'd probably feel awkward playing on a controller that WASN'T wrapped in one of those cloths.

Think of it as a faceless "shifty" for my controllers. ;)

Yeah, but a Shifty covers something that's just a big, dumb, round knob LOL!

Hey, if it works, that's awesome! It is a strange sight to see though, no doubt about it :p

[quote name='wiggyx']I'm working on the GBA back light mod instruction manual for the kits that I'll have for sale VERY soon.[/QUOTE]

Is that a kit for installing a replacement GBA SP screen in an original GBA? I could really go for something like that. I still have my original GBA, and it would be a lot more useful with a proper back-lit screen. (and not just one of the patch jobs that used to be popular)

[quote name='Richard Kain']Is that a kit for installing a replacement GBA SP screen in an original GBA? I could really go for something like that. I still have my original GBA, and it would be a lot more useful with a proper back-lit screen. (and not just one of the patch jobs that used to be popular)[/QUOTE]

Sure is! Really easy to hook up too for the folks that aren't into all that soldering and whatnot. Plug and play except for one tiny wire that needs to be soldered. See the results below :)

[quote name='wiggyx']
I will have backlight mods for the old GBA for sale very soon...

6AE08595-54BE-4445-820B-2C3E9C4740FC-294-0000007F74BE78C7.jpg

No light
Front light
Back light[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Strell']I want to go apprentice at wiggy's house.[/QUOTE]

Come on over! I could some help anyway ;)

[quote name='wiggyx']Sure is! Really easy to hook up too for the folks that aren't into all that soldering and whatnot. Plug and play except for one tiny wire that needs to be soldered. [/QUOTE]

Aw man, that looks hot! Can't wait until you have those kits available. Quick question, will the kits come with a replacement GBA SP screen? If not, do you know of an on-line site where one could purchase replacement GBA SP screens? I checked Amazon (where I found my replacement PSP screen) but didn't find any GBA screens. There were plenty of DS Lite and DSi screens to be had, but no GBA.

It would be nice if there was a switch to adjust brightness, but even having one permanent backlight setting is fine enough. And what's the deal with adjusting the lugnut thing for picture quality?

That is something that I'll offer (2 levels of brightness). Just ordered a bunch of switches for that very purpose. I'll have pics once I have one modded.

That's a potentiometer, which is a variable resistor. Think of it like a dimmer switch in your house.

When you get light kits going I might buy one to try to cram it into my game gear instead of the damn light tube lol. I also picked up an original GBA a while back that would be nice lit up.

Any Idea what your price point is going to be on them?

If wiggy could improve the game gear weight issue that would be awesome. I would much rather have a light gamegear, than and gameboy system. As usual, I want 20% for the idea and a free unit when they go into production...and an official thanks on the boot up screen.

I actually love the game gear as is. Its a very a sega thing.
When I have my game gear with the screen magnifier and battery pack on I feel like a mad scientist. All I want is improved battery life =P

[quote name='SnesGuy']When you get light kits going I might buy one to try to cram it into my game gear instead of the damn light tube lol. I also picked up an original GBA a while back that would be nice lit up.

Any Idea what your price point is going to be on them?[/QUOTE]

I do, but I don't want to post anything until I have the parts in hand. I already get bombarded with enough requests, and having that info out there without the ability to actually follow through would sorta suck. I should have parts in about 2 weeks (Chinese holiday until the 7th, so won't ship until after then).

[quote name='slowdive21']If wiggy could improve the game gear weight issue that would be awesome. I would much rather have a light gamegear, than and gameboy system. As usual, I want 20% for the idea and a free unit when they go into production...and an official thanks on the boot up screen.[/QUOTE]

The batteries are the only thing about the GG that are heavy. The unit without batteries is pretty light.

Also, already working on lighting solutions for the GG ;)

DSC02974.jpg

DSC02975.jpg

DSC02976.jpg

[quote name='SnesGuy']I actually love the game gear as is. Its a very a sega thing.
When I have my game gear with the screen magnifier and battery pack on I feel like a mad scientist. All I want is improved battery life =P[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much where I'm at with it too.

That's awesome Wiggy. Now I just need to get around to buying capacitors, at this point I own 4 or 5 GG's and only 1 works lol. I kept buying large Sega lots on eBay.

[quote name='SnesGuy']That's awesome Wiggy. Now I just need to get around to buying capacitors, at this point I own 4 or 5 GG's and only 1 works lol. I kept buying large Sega lots on eBay.[/QUOTE]

I often do the same LOL!

[quote name='salt_peanuts']Is there a way to get back or front lit Neo Geo Pocket Colors?[/QUOTE]

DSC02662.jpg

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Hell, I wonder if he can do it for Wonderswan. lol.[/QUOTE]

DSC02744.jpg

Will have kits for sale very soon...

I'm learning from this thread that if anyone asks wiggy if something is possible, he makes it possible.

So I wonder if he can give me super powers. Or an insta-ice cream machine. That's FRONT LIT. FRONT LIT. OR BACK LIT. WHICHEVER IS BETTER, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW.

Haha! Well, I'll try most anything. I don't always succeed. Those wireless controllers are still kicking my ass.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']It would be nice if there was a switch to adjust brightness, but even having one permanent backlight setting is fine enough. And what's the deal with adjusting the lugnut thing for picture quality?[/QUOTE]

Just got one modded for this today (was waiting for parts). I'll post a vid or pics later :)

Also did these for a buddy on cover project. Had a gross Beast Wars and rough CBFD, so I canibalized a couple of lame sports games to make him these.

BD1B569F-1C60-4CFD-B258-932219ACAE6F-1054-000000AC37575E6B.jpg

1272E1AD-0439-44AA-B2C5-12EBA797ECD9-1054-000000AC23D58366.jpg

Didn't touch the original shells for these two games. Just in case game collecting evolves to a place like collectible cars have where "barnyard finds" are now often more valuable than restored models.

Totally cool sir.
I'm guessing you probably modded a handheld system to accept the input of an arcade stick or game controller at one point like this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLbqN4kIrFw
I imagine that the PS1 thing involved using a circuit board hacked into the circle pad, but for the arcade stick, if it different or the wires were directly soldered on to the contacts on the circuit boards.

My actual wish is that I could one day use a Wii Classic Controller on different systems like a Dreamcast or PS2, but I'll have to take a course in electronics first. lol.

Hmm, never considered anything like that. I do want to make a GBA SP mini arcade cabinet at some point, and that's actually really easy with a little soldering and some parts. I'm sure that 3DS mod is WAY more complex than that though. Might be out of my league.

Yeah, I tried to wrap my head around how that guy could've done such a thing. Maybe he did take the 3DS apart and soldered onto the contact points. What's even strange is that in a later video he built some kind of contraption that mimicked the circle pad.

Man, that guy made all sorts of wacky stuff LOL! I dig the 3DS street fighter stick, even though its totally giant and absurd, not to mention that you sit so far away that the 3D is useless :p

I'll have to check more of his stuff when I'm back at my computer. I don't believe that the 3DS has an input that would allow a controller to interact with it directly. I've gotta imagine that he's doing some soldering inside the 3DS's themselves, like you were saying with the original contact pads. I know that's what I'm doing with my Franken Gameboy phat SP. it's about the easiest way I can think of. Just don't know how he translates the analogue signal (if he has to at all).

Actually, now that I'm watching the vid again, the wacky wire loom that he has on the PS controller leads me to believe that he's done exactly that. You would need to wire directly to the PS controller board, and that would leave you with 2 wires for EVERY button used. He'd have to re-harness all those new wires.

Hey wiggy!

Is there any way to fix a game gear with a line across the screen that is halving the image and displaying it on the wrong x axis?

Basically there is a horizontal line across the screen and it is splitting the image, but the two halves of the image do not line up.

[quote name='wiggyx']Just got one modded for this today (was waiting for parts). I'll post a vid or pics later :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry this took a few days. Been SOOOOO busy.

http://youtu.be/E7AS_g3VXXE

I want to take pre-orders for these kits ASAP. Does anyone know where I should post about that on this forum?

edit: Here's a mockup package design :)

protopackage3.jpg

protopackage2.jpg

protopackage1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back