Was bored, did mod.

[quote name='Javery']I guess I'm "some people"... :)[/QUOTE]

(Shrug) There's nothing wrong with that. It's more a matter of preference than anything else.

I mainly mention because I've constructed my own custom arcade in the past, and am familiar with how expensive it would be to create an arcade cabinet from scratch. (not very) Particle board is notoriously cheap, and was always the go-to material for 90% of arcade cabinets. T-molding isn't that expensive, and you don't really need all that much of it for most cabinet designs, and the necessary controls can be bought brand-new for around $50. (for a standard 2-player cabinet)

If you already had the necessary tools, an arcade cabinet would cost less than $300 to produce. The most expensive component would be the screen.

A major reason for going with a custom cabinet rather than restoring a classic is smoke. A lot of arcade cabinets were kept in smoky environments, and the rubber and particle board has a tendency to absorb those odors. Cigarette smoke odor is notoriously difficult to clean out of rubber and plastic. If you live in a smoke-free house, a new, custom cabinet is probably the right option.

Yeah this is an original Joust marquee, it's in pretty decent shape. Javery is right, the graphics are applied directly to the plexiglass, so it can't just be replaced with new glass. Thankfully the underside with the graphics isn't really scratched, otherwise that would ruin it.

Anyway, some of the scratches are fairly deep, deep enough to be felt with my fingernail. I tried some rubbing compound I had laying around, and it certainly polished it up, but most of the scratches remain. Thinking I may have to go the sanding route and get some really fine sandpaper from the auto shops, 2000 grit or so probably.

When I'm done it should be a pretty cool light. Example: http://hacknmod.com/hack/make-your-own-vintage-arcade-marquee/

OMG, I have a multi-quote from hell to tackle at some point soon in here LOL!

In the meantime, I haz productzzzz!

DSC03009.jpg

I'll send you a pm. I don't know if I can sell stuff here or not yet, plus I don't have the webstore setup at the moment. I'll be doing it all via PayPal invoice for the time being. It works out well that way anyway. I need to help you figure out which version of the GBA you have ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='wiggyx']I'll send you a pm. I don't know if I can sell stuff here or not yet, plus I don't have the webstore setup at the moment. I'll be doing it all via PayPal invoice for the time being. It works out well that way anyway. I need to help you figure out which version of the GBA you have ;)[/QUOTE]

If you need anymore early volunteers to buy, let me know. :D (Believe mine is a 40-pin)

^^^ Sending message now!

Also, anyone know who I should talk to about selling my goods here? I sent a pm to CheapyD and I haven't heard anything back. Is there someone else here that would be good to talk to?

Also, I got some more goodies packaged up today :D

productsample11-6-12.jpg

Small update to the blog as well.

[quote name='dragoon99']You could always create a sales thread in the trading forum.[/QUOTE]

This is true, but I'd really like to be able to properly promote my products and services. I guess I could start there with a few items from my lineup. Thanks for the tip!

[quote name='Clak']Good luck getting a reply from Cheapy. Did you offer him a cut of the profits? :lol:[/QUOTE]

LULZ! Anyone else that would be worth contacting? I sorta stay in the old school section exclusively, so I'm not terribly familiar with the mods (since the OG section doesn't seem to get much moderation it seems).

I propose ambassadors with a picture link to your site/this thread/etc. It's at least something. I could make one this weekend when I have some free time.

I also should/need to do the same for the Awesome controller. Have to support my fellow CAGs.

I never made a mod to any of my consoles but I think is cool to see the effort of other persons making their consoles look the way they feel. Congrats Mate

[quote name='Strell']I propose ambassadors with a picture link to your site/this thread/etc. It's at least something. I could make one this weekend when I have some free time.

I also should/need to do the same for the Awesome controller. Have to support my fellow CAGs.[/QUOTE]

Wait, ambassadors who, wha? I feel lost. Imma shoot you a pm...

[quote name='geosmith12']I never made a mod to any of my consoles but I think is cool to see the effort of other persons making their consoles look the way they feel. Congrats Mate[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

I'm not having any luck getting in touch with a mod, and the marketplace doesn't seem like it's really set up for what I'm trying to do (not trade known items, but rather sell custom items and unique products). So, I'm gonna post this here and hope that it's OK. If not, I'll GLADLY take it down. I can't find anything in the rules that specifically forbids it.

I've got 3 modified Gameboy Advance systems up for grabs and I'm selling 'em at a discount in order to get some business going and to show some love for one of my favorite game forums on teh webzzz :D These have all been modified to use a Gameboy Advance SP backlit screen (otherwise known as the "101"). Each unit comes in an anti-static bag. They are then cased in a pair of Universal Game Cases that have been modified to fit the purpose. The bonus is that the case not only serves as packaging, but is a great way to store the unit or take on the go, since there's extra room inside that could easily store a few of your favorite games. Each case also comes with a silica packet so that you can store your GBA in its case feel secure knowing that it's protected from moisture. A fresh model sticker and unique serial number have been applied to the back of each. I've dubbed this product the "Gambeoy Advance Light +". Anywho, here they are!

1) Orange 3rd party shell, no brightness switch (40-pin) - Normally $150.00, SALE $125.00 shipped!
2) Black 3rd party shell, 2-way brightness (32-pin) - Normally $150.00, SALE $125.00 shipped!
3) Clear Red original shell (Glacier). Candy red paint followed by a flat clear coat to protect the finish from the wear and tear of normal handling. 2-way brightness (32-pin) - Normally $???.??, SOLD!

13.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

9.jpg

14.jpg

3-1.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

I also have the kits for sale as well if you'd like to modify your own.

Kits - $75.00 shipped

DSC03009-1.jpg

If anyone wants a reference, here's my eBay ID.

http://myworld.ebay.com/wiggyx

Oh god that red one is sexy.

Wiggy - I will reply to your PM soon enough. Didn't want you to think I'd forgotten or anything.

Man, my GBA looks so shitty compared to those. I wish I could be in a position to just hand over that much money without it being a big deal.

[quote name='Strell']Oh god that red one is sexy.

Wiggy - I will reply to your PM soon enough. Didn't want you to think I'd forgotten or anything.[/QUOTE]

Thanks!

Don't worry, I totally understand.

[quote name='lmz00']Not into used stuff (or handhelds in general), but I must concur that the clear red one looks pretty legit.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man! That sucker sold in like 10 minutes and I posted it at 3 am Eastern o_O I think a run or red GBAs is in order...

[quote name='ZombieToast']Man, my GBA looks so shitty compared to those. I wish I could be in a position to just hand over that much money without it being a big deal.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. That's why I modded 'em. I need the $$$, and I had a few extra GBAs sitting around, so I figured why not.

Hey wiggy... I originally followed your posts on thecoverproject, and stumbled on your topic here.

Anyway I have a few questions.

I too have a backlit GBA (bought the same cable/lcd from zerey a while back), and it looks absolutely gorgeous. And I'm thinking about doing another one in the future. But here's my question, what's the difference between the 32pin and the 40pin connectors and screens? I was under the assumption that only the frontlit gba sp screens had the 32pin and the backlit had the 40pin.

Secondly... do you think it's possible to use a set of rechargeable batteries in the OG GBA? Yea yea, I know I could use any set of rechargeables I wanted, but hear me out. One of the big things I noticed (and forgot about) when I returned to gaming on the GBA was the lack of being able to recharge and plug in when the battery got low.

I was thinking, since the GBA SP battery is 3.7V and rated around 700mah, and the OG GBA has space for 2 AA sized cells, wouldn't it be great to have some 14500 batteries in parallel (3.7V and ~1800mah) since they're nearly identical to AA in size? I can't think of an easy way to charge them while playing at the same time, but I figured I might try to plant the seed in your head. :D

And just for the hell of it, my backlit gba (I love showing it off on other forums to blow people's minds):

7619313102_97bb3a584e_z.jpg

8069562980_fbe882745b_z.jpg

And I still need to put my glass replacement screen on, but I've been too lazy to do it.

Edit: Oh and I forgot.

If any of your SNES pads' buttons feel loose and worn, I highly recommend picking up a new set of rubber contacts here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-LOT-Rebui...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item27caaf9981

It makes the controller feel like brand new. Word of advice though, throw out the shoulder button rubbers from that kit, because the domes on them aren't long enough and won't make proper contact.

Hey!

I'm not sure of the specific differences between the 32 and 40 pin from a technical standpoint. I do know that the mod looks better on the 40 pin systems. The 40 pin configuration is the newer revision, and I almost suspect that a GBA phat SP may have been on the table over at Nintendo before they went ahead with the SP.

So anyway, the mod on the 40 pin has more consistent lighting throughout the screen and less motion blur. Don't get me wrong, it looks great with either, but the 40 pin takes better to the mod. I tried taking pics to illustrate, but the difference isn't enough to catch in pics (as best I can figure), but your eye will see it.

As far as batteries go, yes. In fact there are 2 OEM options that you can choose from if you like.

This is the AGB-008/009 combo. This is the better of the two options IMO as it lets you charge the battery while playing.

1209030501039.JPG

The other option is the AGB-004, which, as the model number suggests, is the older of the two options. That said, I have one of these and I love it!

$%28KGrHqJ,!iIF!BKCwG59BQUD,H%29hN!~~60_3.JPG

I also have one of those generic-ass Pelican rechargeable deals. It works pretty well, but it's ugly and sticks out of the back. BUUUUUUUT, that might be a good place to start if you're thinking of hacking your own kit together. I've been toying with the idea of reconfiguring it to use one of the dozen or so SP batteries that I have here from gutted units.

Did you get one of those glass lenses for the GBA? Someone on TCP tipped me off to them and I really gotta grab a few. The fellow that told me about them says they virtually impossible to scratch.

Good to know about the SNES controller repair kits. I've got like 10 SNES controllers, and luckily none have worn out on me...

yet.

Yea, I heard about the glass lens elsewhere, and I managed to find one on ebay (I haven't found another source for them). I've been putting off installing it, and my main issue looking at it, it uses double sided tape to attach the lens to the case. Personally I can't imagine the adhesive lasting all that long, and it'll end up requiring glue.

And then, it also has a blank spot where the gameboy advance logo is, so just installing the lens will make it look like some fake clone.

8203475252_1db1c8757b.jpg

8202384129_9ef40b8fc5.jpg

As for the batteries go... Wow I never even knew something like that existed (AGB 008/009). From my brief research, I'm guess it was a japan only release... that's a shame. I knew about the battery pack, but nowadays it's just better to use off the shelf nimhs.

So, from the looks of it, the AGB 008/009 is simply a special battery cover and charger designed to charge the AGB-004 Battery pack, which is nimh. So... in theory any old nimh batteries *should* work.

I really should pick up another old gba just to test my theories on, haha.

Also thanks for the thoughts about the 32 vs 40 pin. I've tried reading about it on zerey's taobao page, but google translate can only do so much, haha. I myself have the 40pin, and have been discouraging the use of 32 pin gbas for this mod. But yea, I'm happy you're making this more accessible for others here on this side of the world. I ordered my first kit through a taobao agent, but I was getting ready to order one directly from zerey himself recently until I stumbled on your projects. So, I might have to grab another off of you eventually. :D

Edit: Ahh... misread. AGB008/009 doesn't actually recharge, it simply is just an ac adapter.

Abercrombie He stopped puffing at his hose and stood stiff watching with bulging eyes, for he saw the door of the dynamite shed move outward several inches,as although someone inside had shoved it. It closed afresh slowly, and Carson was convinced that he had been seen. He was not coward,but a cold sweat broke out aboard him and his knees doubled weakly. Dea Flavia not longer hid her face in her hand. She sat serene and dignified,upright and pure as a lily, allowing her thoughts apt be expressed in her blue eyes, letting these intent self-seekers discern that she was never deceived onward their mendacity by fidelity and patriotism. They gathered closer round her, and she looked instantly actually a queen, dignified and serene her brain crowned forward the glory of her golden hair--towering on their stooping forms.. Doudoune Moncler Abercrombie France Why,mention there was batteries of firearms rolling amongst this nation a million years ago It was right nearly here that Napoleon joined forces with Julius Car apt fight the Crusaders. This here is sacred ground.". A few seconds behind four of the worst sentries in the district having entered the camp unobserved, came running round the brim of a shed, their bayonets drawn after for thrusting, obviously having received orders that the afterward martyr had to be ended off, the entity I presume being both apt teach us a lesson alternatively cause a mutiny. Some one shouted a admonition to three fellows who were standing talking to each additional unconscious of their danger,but along they had period apt realise their predicament the sentries were aboard them. The Huns singled out a Captain Wilson (R.F.C.), and ahead he could obtain away,in him,meanwhile one villainous-looking mini Hun lunged straight at him. The sight of the garden, and beyond, the free amplify of the out-door globe went to her head like wine. She jumped up, her eyes sparkling with a sudden glorious thought. One more glance approximately the buzzing irritable sea of flowery hats and pearly gloves made the thought a resolution.. I wasn't going to have you talked virtually even onward friends. However"--he brought his gaze behind from the distant horizon with an effort--"we are wandering from the point. Will you activity me a match, Elsie,--a love-match?". There were many noisy fire-eaters who took their innings immediately,surrounded the security of the town, who would chance for wordless,behind aboard as some of the tight-lipped and taciturn frontiersmen were immediately Greenhorns from the far-distant East were proving their greenness onward buying always kinds of useless articles, which after they would dart away one onward one, and were armed within a style receivable buccaneers of the Spanish Main. To them, easiest of all were old and ponderous oxen sold, animals certain apt grow footsore and useless at a time they had covered a few hundred miles.It namely ever thus Vast asset to the person unaccustomed to it,namely a bane; it eats into the meat and bone of his morals. When the Fosters were poor they could have been trusted with untold candles. The true Genius being discovered, it must be supplied with Matter to go upon, and employment it ego This is Fuel for the Fire. And the fitting a Genius with appropriate Materials,is putting one into the Way of going amongst the World with Wind and Tide. Louboutin Pas Cher bseyBhttp://www.fzzaabercromfitchpascher.info/aguiC louis vuitton ahnhDhttp://www.mrze.info/yuakQ ugg ceviXhttp://www.mrze.info/fivgD ugg

[quote name='pat87']Yea, I heard about the glass lens elsewhere, and I managed to find one on ebay (I haven't found another source for them). I've been putting off installing it, and my main issue looking at it, it uses double sided tape to attach the lens to the case. Personally I can't imagine the adhesive lasting all that long, and it'll end up requiring glue.

And then, it also has a blank spot where the gameboy advance logo is, so just installing the lens will make it look like some fake clone.

8203475252_1db1c8757b.jpg

8202384129_9ef40b8fc5.jpg

As for the batteries go... Wow I never even knew something like that existed (AGB 008/009). From my brief research, I'm guess it was a japan only release... that's a shame. I knew about the battery pack, but nowadays it's just better to use off the shelf nimhs.

So, from the looks of it, the AGB 008/009 is simply a special battery cover and charger designed to charge the AGB-004 Battery pack, which is nimh. So... in theory any old nimh batteries *should* work.

I really should pick up another old gba just to test my theories on, haha.

Also thanks for the thoughts about the 32 vs 40 pin. I've tried reading about it on zerey's taobao page, but google translate can only do so much, haha. I myself have the 40pin, and have been discouraging the use of 32 pin gbas for this mod. But yea, I'm happy you're making this more accessible for others here on this side of the world. I ordered my first kit through a taobao agent, but I was getting ready to order one directly from zerey himself recently until I stumbled on your projects. So, I might have to grab another off of you eventually. :D

Edit: Ahh... misread. AGB008/009 doesn't actually recharge, it simply is just an ac adapter.[/QUOTE]

Here is a source for the lenses plus they have the logo on them :D

http://www.gamesupply.com.au/nintendo-gameboy-advance-replacement-glass-lens/

There are very permanent 2-sided tapes out there. I wouldn't worry about that so much. Stick it on, if it fails, glue it down. I think you'll be fine as is though. You don't even wanna know how many parts on your car are attached with just tape...

It took me like 2 months to get a kit from Zerey just because of the impossibility of using Taobao in the US coupled with the difficulties with communication. He finally got a paypal account set up, and that's when I finally managed to grab a kit for myself.

He's a super great guy, and I figured that it'd be SOOOOO much easier for him to sell kits through me since it would mean that he'd just deal with me, 1 buyer, as opposed to individuals. He was really excited about the idea, so we partnered up :D Plus it actually means cheaper prices for folks in the US since you only pay domestic postage and I'm finishing up a proper English manual, AND I added a 2-way brightness switch to the package ;)

One day I'll have enough money to buy that kit, or at least pay you to install it, wiggyx.

Meanwhile, I remodified my Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Stick and put in a D-sub port so I can plug and play on other systems like here.
picture.php

I used some solder cups db-25s, though 15 would've been better for me... They weren't kidding about the solder in the solder cups. I probably used have used stranded completely, but the strands do drive me nuts.

Now all I have to do is modify that Dreampad pcb and install it into another dsub male. So it means I'll have to do it backwards right?

Hey wiggy, another question for you. Have you had to adjust the pot for the screen on these gba's? I know the gba sp pot was in the battery compartment, and on the normal gba, it's under the serial label. I just got my hands on an actual ags-101, and the screens between my backlit modded fat gba and the ags-101 is slightly different. The one in the fat gba is slightly "fuzzy" for a lack of a better word, and the ags-101 isn't.

I've read around that that potentiometer is there specifically to tune that problem... thing is, I see it, but not sure how to turn it. I'm guessing I'll probably have to take the casing off to do it easier.

[quote name='TTGSteve']The red GBA is sexy. Nice job![/QUOTE]

Thanks! It looks like I'm gonna have to make more of those. Been getting lots of requests for that one.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']One day I'll have enough money to buy that kit, or at least pay you to install it, wiggyx.

Meanwhile, I remodified my Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Stick and put in a D-sub port so I can plug and play on other systems like here.
picture.php

I used some solder cups db-25s, though 15 would've been better for me... They weren't kidding about the solder in the solder cups. I probably used have used stranded completely, but the strands do drive me nuts.

Now all I have to do is modify that Dreampad pcb and install it into another dsub male. So it means I'll have to do it backwards right?[/QUOTE]

I saw that thread at some point. Maybe someone posted it in here already? Pretty cool stuff.

I didn't read the whole thread (I'm not a fight stick person, I actually PREFER a pad). What about solder in cups?

[quote name='pat87']Hey wiggy, another question for you. Have you had to adjust the pot for the screen on these gba's? I know the gba sp pot was in the battery compartment, and on the normal gba, it's under the serial label. I just got my hands on an actual ags-101, and the screens between my backlit modded fat gba and the ags-101 is slightly different. The one in the fat gba is slightly "fuzzy" for a lack of a better word, and the ags-101 isn't.

I've read around that that potentiometer is there specifically to tune that problem... thing is, I see it, but not sure how to turn it. I'm guessing I'll probably have to take the casing off to do it easier.[/QUOTE]

On the 32-pin, yes. On the 40-pin, no. It really just affects brightness as best I can tell.

The mod isn't perfect, that's about all I can say. Putting the 101 screen in a GBA phat won't look as good as it did in the SP. It's the hardware, not the screen itself.

As far as adjusting the pot goes, either poke a hole in that sticker or pop the GBA apart ;)

I made a quick little gator clip 2AA battery box so that I can easily power up portables even when they're gutted. Makes life really easy for this sort of thing. You can take the GBA apart, stick a game in, and still power it up without the shell in place so you can make adjustments without guessing.

DSC03116.jpg

I thought I could get away with just applying solder to the wire and then melting it into the cup, didn't take. I should've followed that instruction of leaving solder in the cup, then dipping the wire into it lol. That's why in the pic you can see the copper sticking out.

Heh, that's pretty clever wiggyx. Sure it's a pain to keep taking batteries in and out of the GBA, but at least that option exists. The problem with electronics these day is what if the special batteries run out and you can't go to the store or online to buy them because they're long gone? Then again, the manufacturers don't expect you to keep these gadgets no longer than five years or something.

Lots of people have become quite crafty about stuffing old battery hosings with newer guts. It's not something that I've looked into yet, since nothing that I currently play either needs a battery or doesn't have something already available on the market.

But since I've been messing around with the old GBAs so much, it would be cool to have some sort of option to offer folks ;)

[quote name='wiggyx']
On the 32-pin, yes. On the 40-pin, no. It really just affects brightness as best I can tell.

The mod isn't perfect, that's about all I can say. Putting the 101 screen in a GBA phat won't look as good as it did in the SP. It's the hardware, not the screen itself.

As far as adjusting the pot goes, either poke a hole in that sticker or pop the GBA apart ;)

I made a quick little gator clip 2AA battery box so that I can easily power up portables even when they're gutted. Makes life really easy for this sort of thing. You can take the GBA apart, stick a game in, and still power it up without the shell in place so you can make adjustments without guessing.

DSC03116.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Yea I poked around the hole, but it just seemed to make things worse. I couldn't tell if I was even turning the thing.

I hadn't considered the battery box with gator clips though. Looks like I'll be making a trip to digikey (and also ordering some other things I've been putting off for a while). Eventually I need to buy a bench psu, but that'll have to wait until I have the room for it.

As always, appreciate the info.

No prob!

As an FYI, I got the clips and box at RadioShack. Prolly more expensive that DK, but the shipping on DK can be brutal unless you're ordering like a zillion little things LOL!

Completed my converter box, which was a Mad Catz Dreamcast controller. I had a little difficulty with it, as I had a male to male cable and didn't realize that with those serial cables they don't go parallel. So I had to resolder the cups. :angry: I put the entire thing into a Barilla box because I was too cheap to buy a sturdier box ( especially a $8 project box.) Now to go buy and hack a PS1 controller.

wiggyx Where do you recommend buying those project boxes? I can't fathom paying more than $5 for a box that's barely bigger than a pasta one.

You can get em RadioSlut, but I've never had much use for them (I tend to just make my own enclosures), so I haven't done much searching around.

[quote name='pat87']Yea I poked around the hole, but it just seemed to make things worse. I couldn't tell if I was even turning the thing.[/QUOTE]
Taken out of context, it might sound like you're talking about sex. Or bees.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Where do you get your wire, wiggyx? I've looked around for a good deal on the spools, but they either come in 10c a foot with reasonable shipping at $2.50, or 100' at $10 with exhorbint shipping. Radioshack worse too, since all you get is 60 feet for $8-9.

This looks nice: http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1931/.f since it's $12 for 196ft of wire. But is there a better place?[/QUOTE]

If you have some spare cat 5 cables laying around, you can rip those apart for wire. You'll get 8 strands of differing colors (4 solid, and 4 white/solid).

[quote name='ZombieToast']Taken out of context, it might sound like you're talking about sex. Or bees.[/QUOTE]

LOL!

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Where do you get your wire, wiggyx? I've looked around for a good deal on the spools, but they either come in 10c a foot with reasonable shipping at $2.50, or 100' at $10 with exhorbint shipping. Radioshack worse too, since all you get is 60 feet for $8-9.

This looks nice: http://www.electronics123.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1931/.f since it's $12 for 196ft of wire. But is there a better place?[/QUOTE]

Again, RadioShack works for me. 50' for 6 bucks.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062640

If shipping weren't so prohibitive, then I'd likely buy online. But the price at RS isn't too bad when you consider the other factors.

BTW, that's solid core. That's what I use for all these tiny, fidly projects. Easier to bend and keep in place than braided core.

[quote name='Strell']Wiggy is totally more awesome than these guys. Although the blue one is pretty sweet.[/QUOTE]

So, they paint consoles and Kotaku blogs about them?! Where's my Kotaku shout out? I can paint and "fix" (by which I assume they mean "clean") consoles all day long. Big deal, who can't? Lame.

Yeah, solid core is great for tiny projects, but is a pain in the ass to actually bend at larger lengths. I tend to use 22AWG btw.

If you want Kotaku to blog you, you might as well make a blog post about it.

You trying to get wire for the controller mods or somethin'? If so, I can understand needing the heavier stuff. Still, I tend to buy wire at Radio Shack or Home Depot (though I don't think you'll find anything over 18G there).

Wait, post on my blog that I wanna be on their blog? Or do you mean blog here, on CAG?

I think Kotaku has a blog of its own. I'm not really sure 'cause I've only been to the site a couple of times, but it seems like there's a lot of user-created content. I could be wrong, though.

I have no idea. Like I said, I've only been to their site a couple of times. I find their content to be obnoxious and their site to be poorly coded/scripted, so I don't bother with it (although I apparently made an account at some point). Anyway, what I was saying is that it seems like just about anyone can post whatever they want on Kotaku and then the people in charge decide which ones to feature on the front page. I don't really know what the requisites are or how it all works or if I'm even slightly correct, but just looking at their Top Stories right now, it seems like they'll post pretty much anything as long as it's at least remotely related to video games, sex, or Japanese people. Even when I was in the gaming journalism scene, I was willfully ignorant of their site because it seems so...irrelevant.

Those blog news sites, in a way, can be seen as parasites and all they do is aggregate news from around the internet in a cute and easily readable format. You could start a wiggyx blog here or on blogspot, showcasing your works and such. I doubt most people on the internet are going to know about the cool things you do if it is all contained on one forum thread.

It doesn't have to be that elaborate, a simple post now and again, with not many words should be fine.

Personally I think you should have your business model and plan ready before the promotion. Anyway, in the meantime, I'll enjoy the magic that comes out of your workshop.

Well I already have the one blog up and I plan on using it for typical business happenings as well as random projects (since that sort of thing can easily attract more business).

I gotta get some updates going.

I used to like Kotaku a lot years and year ago, but I just visited after a long hiatus, and it has indeed turned into something far less relevant than I recall. Seems overrun by commenters and whatnot. The new format blows too. Sloppy to navigate. I way prefer the simpler blog style in chronological order :/

That's why there's http:\\blog.kotaku.com
If you thought the overrun by commenters now was bad, you should've seen it before the recent redesign. The commenters were so full of it that it was actually an important thing when they had to jump ship because of the new comment system.

Anyway, good luck man. I hope more people do get to know what you're doing for older systems.

[quote name='wiggyx']Seems overrun by commenters and whatnot. The new format blows too. Sloppy to navigate. I way prefer the simpler blog style in chronological order :/[/QUOTE]
Seriously. I spent five minutes trying to navigate through their ass-backwards commenting hierarchy system and it just wasn't worth the trouble. It doesn't make sense to have to click on a comment to see the responses, then click on the responses to see responses to them and so on...and then have to click on another link to go back up a level. It's so easy to script collapsible comments and it's much easier to navigate, so I don't know why they would stray so far from that. I mean, they essentially do that anyway, but it's like they do it in first-person mode. Whoever designed that mess needs to read Don't Make Me Think!

I just don't get it. Did they think the old system was busted? It was simple, clean, and looked just fine. I don't understand the need to constantly "fix" things that aren't broken in the first place. Sometimes I can stand the ADHD mentality of the tech world. Operating Systems are packed with more and more useless froo-froo that only serves to muddy up menus and the UI, portable devices are constantly being updated with features that often feel 100% useless to me, blog sites are all changing to these inane new formats, and even game system OS has become cumbersome and wrought with adds.

Some of my fav blog sites are a sloppy mess now. All the Gawker sites (iO9, Gizmondo, Kotaku), Failblog/Failbook, etc. Argh. /rant

bread's done
Back