Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

The KB in Dulles Towncenter is doing the B1G1 but the selection is fairly crumbtastic. I did see a few copies of Mario Kart DS, but that was about it.

[quote name='sportsgamer']hey, i work at the mall in springfield mall in northern VA

sports gamer[/QUOTE]

What store do you work at?

There's nothing at the KB at Ballston. They literally had one small case of videogames (for all systems) and that case wasn't even full. They either got ransacked or sent all the games away. The only things I saw of interest were some DS games (Need for Speed, Nintendogs, Frogger, Harry Potter). All the console and GBA games were cheap low budget stuff to begin with that no one wants. Save yourself the trip and the parking money.

Get 'em while they're hot! 98 cent 2-pack Star Wars PS2 controllers at the Columbia, MD TRU! The guy has to get them from the R-zone stock room.

There should still be some left, but you may want to call beforehand. They've been in the back room, so they haven't *all* been snatched up...

Sup ppl. I'm over here in District Heights, MD and I work at the Eb Games in Bowie Town Center. Come on in sometime. We've got Guitar Heroes on display and it kicks so much ass!

[quote name='pds319']Sup ppl. I'm over here in District Heights, MD and I work at the Eb Games in Bowie Town Center. Come on in sometime. We've got Guitar Heroes on display and it kicks so much ass![/QUOTE]

You're not the crazy guy that works there, are you? I used to live in District Heights and bought my PS2 from the Bowie EB. There was a clerk there who was hyper and way too enthusiastic about his job. Always frightened me when I went in there, but I haven't been to Bowie in over a year.

[quote name='nuttyturnip']There was a clerk there who was hyper and way too enthusiastic about his job. Always frightened me...[/QUOTE]

A guy shows a little enthusiasm at work, and he's suddenly labeled as "crazy." Perhaps you would prefer the braindead teens from McDonalds? :D

There's two kinds of enthusiastic.

Good enthusiastic: "Hello, thanks for stopping by the store, if you need any help, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have."

Bad enthusiastic: Clerk follows you around, and anytime you even glance at a game title, launches into an excited frenzy about how great that game is, how he's played it, what his favorite character is, etc. I'm all for friendly clerks, but I don't want to be smothered by one.

Around my area, the EB in the Columbia Mall has a great staff. They're always very helpful and will strike up an honest conversation while you're checking out, but they respect your space. The staff at the Gamestop in St. John's Plaza, on the other hand, drives me nuts. Everytime I walk through the door, I'm hit with the same schpiel about "did you bring any used games to trade today?" and "what sort of game are you looking for?" and "how'd you like to preorder an Xbox 360?" I'm just browsing for goodness sake, leave me alone! The worst is that customers ask them about games, and they act all know-it-all about stuff, except that their responses are wrong half the time.

Sterling was great. Bumped into a fellow CAG there this AM while picking up a few things. Final Fantasy I&II, Samurai Western, and DOA Ultimate are still available in my stash, so give a holler if you're interested.

Went to 3 TRU today. Met another CAGer at the Laurel TRU. Laurel still has a couple copies of Fatal Frame II, MK Kollectors and Priates if anyone is interested. TRU Langley Park had 4 copies left of RE4 (GC) this morning. Wheaton TRU didn't have squat.

Live in Manassas, Va... or northern Va lol, but anyway, the Toys R Us around here has a decent amount of games here. I saw like 10 copies of Resident Evil 4 for the GC 2 days ago, got myself a copy of KillZone for 10 bucks, and it was the original non GH too. The only thing you gotta watch out for are the prices. They are pretty bad at updating prices, so all the games might be labeled at 20-40 bucks, but price check says otherwise lol (goes from 20 bucks and under).

Wheaton TRU had Ace Combat 5 and Pikmin 2 in plentiful supply....Rockville and Gaithersburg TRU had squat. Either CAGers have pillaged them, or their employees have bought up stock. I actually think that it is the latter. However, if you are looking for Geist and MP2....these were in supply, good supply.

Thanks for the note about the Manassas TRU with RE4, but that's just too far of a drive that it would not be worth it for me. Oh well. I'll have to wait for RE4 to buy it again.

I mainly live in Frostburg but during the winters and summers I visit the DC/Bethesda MD area. In frostburg I've had a hard time finding any deals except for the occasional good find at FYE in the Country Club Mall in La Vale, normally the prices in all FYEs are quite horrible but I've found their used games to occasionally have excellent prices and so far all used games I've bought from the La Vale store have been in like new condition. I also found a 5 dollar brand new copy of Mark of kri for the Ps2 there. As for the DC area I've found the usual regional deals at best buy, tru, CC, etc, and the CD/Game Exchange in Tenley Town occasionally has decent prices on good games even though my most recent trip showed zero good deals concerning games I was interested in. Besides that i haven't found anything worthwhile in MD on a regular basis.

I'm right inbetween College Park and Laurel.

Seeing an apparent cheap ass gamer is what led me back to this site. I'd been here once before but just a glance then I noticed a guy buy 2-3 copies of DOA2:Hardcore + 2 other games at Circuit City and knew something had to be up.

I check out the Greenbelt Target/Gamestop and Beltsville Circuit City once a month or so. Every now and then I spin through the Game Crazy/Gamespots and Target in Capitol Heights when I visit family.

However, I agree with most everyone else that there doesn't seem to be much of a "scene" around here. I was amazed when I took a spin through a Gamestop out in Dulles on my way back from a class a few weeks ago, they had everything, used of course but in amazing condition relative to say Greenbelt Gamestop where your lucky to get a case or manual and it's beat to shit if you do.

Mom and Pop shops have been pretty much crushed by the big chains. There are still a few in PG County but you wouldn't know they exist without running right into them.

I'm looking for a cheap, new copy of Soul Calibur II (XB). If there's anything some of you locals are looking for I'll keep any eye out.

-O

I am in and around the PG County area. I will keep my eyes out for SC II. I have been posting so deals I have found and will post more when they come.

A friend pulled it out of the Waldorf CC.

I took a trip to Beltsville CC and Greenbelt Target recently. Nothing of note at either. Target was looking particularly bleak and much to my dismay, Metal Slug 4&5 was still $40 at CC.

I checked out the Wheaton and Laurel TRUs, which are both 30% off games and systems and 50% off accessories. There are tons of Game Boy Micros for $70 and a demo PSP at the Laurel store and lots of PS2 HDDs at both stores. Happy hunting!

Hey all, I'm looking to unload my Donkey Konga set - I have the original Donkey Konga, two used bongos and two brand new bongos. I figured shipping would be a little much to list the set on ebay, so I thought I'd try here first. PM me an offer if you're interested.

I have been going to the Wheaton TRU and buying accessories for my Xbox and PSP at 40% off. Good deals. Some game might be worth getting at 30%. I saw they dropped some of the more recent games 3+ months old to $29.99. Going to pick up PoP-Two Thrones for cheap A/C tomorrow.

[quote name='ozc']I'm right inbetween College Park and Laurel.

Seeing an apparent cheap ass gamer is what led me back to this site. I'd been here once before but just a glance then I noticed a guy buy 2-3 copies of DOA2:Hardcore + 2 other games at Circuit City and knew something had to be up.

I check out the Greenbelt Target/Gamestop and Beltsville Circuit City once a month or so. Every now and then I spin through the Game Crazy/Gamespots and Target in Capitol Heights when I visit family.

However, I agree with most everyone else that there doesn't seem to be much of a "scene" around here. I was amazed when I took a spin through a Gamestop out in Dulles on my way back from a class a few weeks ago, they had everything, used of course but in amazing condition relative to say Greenbelt Gamestop where your lucky to get a case or manual and it's beat to shit if you do.

Mom and Pop shops have been pretty much crushed by the big chains. There are still a few in PG County but you wouldn't know they exist without running right into them.

I'm looking for a cheap, new copy of Soul Calibur II (XB). If there's anything some of you locals are looking for I'll keep any eye out.

-O[/QUOTE]

Where are the mom and pops in PG?

Toys R Us in Laurel and Wheaton are 40% to 60% now. Wheaton has a lot of Xbox and PS2 games. Each store has about 7 Gameboy Micros and FF HDs ($59.99). I actually found a 360 HD for $59.99 and Ultimate Spiderman ($18.00) & Battlefield 2 ($24.00).

really thanks imma have to check out wheaton or laurel.. If you can pick one up for me i will give 75 for the hard drive..

Just went by Tysons and Wheaton today and there were no 360 HD. Wheaton does have HD cables (I think VGA) and memory cards for the 360 at 50% off.

I'm in Catonsville MD. I always have alot of luck at the Gamestop in St. Johns Plaza in Ellicott City. They usually have alot of rare games and PS1 rpg's, as well as alot of anime. Alot of their used stuff is also in great condition.

:) I was able to get quite a few anime movies... but a lot of them were promotional only. So that stunk.

As to games - I did not get any psx games, just random xbox and PS2 games. I did get Kingdom Paradise and Polocrois and Castlevania DS though.

Thanks,
matthew

The employees at that Gamestop are some of the pushiest people around. :roll:

Every few weeks, I'll order dinner at Solanos and walk down to Gamestop to browse while I wait for my food. It never fails, they always ask me if I brought anything to trade in and give me the whole sales schpiel. It gets on my nerves, and I doubt I'd actually buy anything there because of it. I've overheard them pressuring customers to buy their stupid magazine subscription, and it makes me want to interupt them and tell the clueless parents, "Don't buy that, it's a ripoff!" I realize it's their job to be salespeople, but stop being so aggressive about it.

Was it the red haired guy with freckles? Everytime I go there him and another guy will constantly ask if I need help if they aren't already in the corner playing the 360, lol.

the concept of working at a video game store is ok but i really don't want to make a living there playing/talking about video games for 8 hr shifts then have little kids come in while there parents go shopping so they can "look at" and ask how much is that game in the counter display all day long. Then to be forced to hammer customers with the 10% edge card program or the pre orders or to trade in shit.

[quote name='thespillcanvas']Was it the red haired guy with freckles? Everytime I go there him and another guy will constantly ask if I need help if they aren't already in the corner playing the 360, lol.[/quote]

I don't remember. The skinny guy with long hair is the worst; I've noticed another guy who keeps to himself and just plays the 360. He's definitely more my kind of employee.

I've seen the quiet guy on the 360 alot. He was in there with the red haired guy last time I went. The red haired guy was taunting him from across the store. He was playing DOA4 I think, not sure.

I posted this earlier in the TRU clearance thread:

Here's what I picked up at the TRU in Laurel MD (w/ 80% off)
Psychonauts (XB)- $6
Baten Kaitos (Cube)- $6
Taiko Drum Master (PS2)- $10
Gunstar Heroes (GBA)- $6
Pac Pix (NDS)- $6
Battlebots (GBA) - $2
Texas Hold 'Em (GBA)- $2

The Hold 'Em game netted me a $8.25 trade in at best buy.

Good luck finding anything though; people were basically buying one of every game left.

There was 1 copy of Baten Kaitos left, a few copies of Psychonauts, 1 Taiko Drum Master, a copy of timesplitters future perfect (XB), a few Tiger Woods Golf, Pac Pix, and Sprung for DS, and about 1,000,000 copies of Zathura for PS2. Plus there were plenty of copies of Gunstar Heroes left.

I'll be the first to say this...

Oh my fucking God. That is a Godly haul. I wish I could even get my hands on a copy of Pyschonauts for double that price. If anyone wants to oblige, let me know.

80% off is ridiculous. Is there anything good at Tyson's?

[quote name='nuttyturnip']I don't remember. The skinny guy with long hair is the worst; I've noticed another guy who keeps to himself and just plays the 360. He's definitely more my kind of employee.[/QUOTE]

I have talked to that guy quite a bit. He is not the more the helpful guy around, but he is nice enough.

Matthew

The employees at the GS in St. Johns Plaza may be pushy, but after scoring mint copies of Grownlanser Generations. GI Joe Season 1 Part 1, and La Pucelle Tactics in one trip, I can't complain.

Hey I overheard from some employees that the CC in Beltsville is getting some XB 360s in today. It's supposed to be advertised in the paper, so good luck getting one.

bread's done
Back