Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='Tdogg2k8']what exactly is it? im in VA id be interested in going[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Games_Live

Also, I've never been to Wolftrap before, but I was looking over the website trying to find concessions information and came across this info about "The Barns at Wolftrap":

"The bar opens an hour and a half prior to the start of the show with daily drink specials the first 30 minutes."

An hour and a half before the show would be 7pm, and I think I might be able to get there about then if traffic isn't unmerciful. Drink specials sound good to me. And it might be nice to socialize a little before the show starts. Any thoughts?

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Games_Live

Also, I've never been to Wolftrap before, but I was looking over the website trying to find concessions information and came across this info about "The Barns at Wolftrap":

"The bar opens an hour and a half prior to the start of the show with daily drink specials the first 30 minutes."

An hour and a half before the show would be 7pm, and I think I might be able to get there about then if traffic isn't unmerciful. Drink specials sound good to me. And it might be nice to socialize a little before the show starts. Any thoughts?

MjC[/QUOTE]

That's way better than my idea of putting down coordinates of a random spot on the lawn on Google Maps. :)

I expect to be there in my bright white "Game Over" T-shirt. If anyone wants my cell # to make it easier for to meet, just PM me before 5pm today.

MjC

Uh oh, I should have paid more attention to this, but the Barns is actually a different facility at the Wolf Trap grounds than the Filene Center, which is where VGL is. Hopefully some of you will see this, so I propose we instead meet at the northern consession at the Filene Center, which I believe is the one closest to the Park HQ. Here is where I am thinking:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...189,-77.265365&spn=0.002537,0.004254&t=h&z=18

If you have a GPS, the coordinates are 38.936981,-77.265528. Normally I'm not this anal, but as I've never been there before, I wanna make sure. I'll be wearing my green zombies t-shirt.

If anyone is going to be at Otakon this weekend in Baltimore and want to meet up, let me know. I will be there all 3 days. :) Picking up my pass tonight after work.

Hey all my DC/MD/VA CAGS. Been talking with some Goozex folks and we are thinking of holding another meet sometime in early October. We will be doing it more towards the Baltimore area, possibly at Arundel Mills' Dave & Busters. I'll have more info at the end of the month or early September.

Hope everyone can free up some time to make it. :D

[quote name='G-Nitro']Hey all my DC/MD/VA CAGS. Been talking with some Goozex folks and we are thinking of holding another meet sometime in early October. We will be doing it more towards the Baltimore area, possibly at Arundel Mills' Dave & Busters. I'll have more info at the end of the month or early September.

Hope everyone can free up some time to make it. :D[/QUOTE]

As long as its not on the weekend of September 18th, I should be able to participate. Just a quick heads up just in case something does get planned. Thx.

Sounds good, I should be able to make something work then. Keep us posted G!

Also, speaking of Goozex, a big thanks to them for adding movies. I am finally able to unload my HD-DVDs! Sweet!

MjC

G-Nitro - Pwned making an appearance at VGXPO this year?

As for a meet up, definitely down for it, but October 9-11 is VGXPO and I am going to be at the Video Games Live show at VGXPO. Any one coming out for it?

[quote name='dwhelan']G-Nitro - Pwned making an appearance at VGXPO this year?

As for a meet up, definitely down for it, but October 9-11 is VGXPO and I am going to be at the Video Games Live show at VGXPO. Any one coming out for it?[/QUOTE]

Where is it?

[quote name='thebob101']Where is it?[/QUOTE]

Good call Bob, I did leave out the detail.

http://www.videogame.net/vgxpo/

Video Game Expo - October 9th thru the 11th.

America's Video Game Expo is three days of video game revelry. Our convention is an annual gaming festival - where gamers and industry insiders can come together to celebrate video games. Attendees come to VGXPO to experience the newest games, encounter game industry legends, compete in tournaments, buy games and meet with friends.
Pennsylvania Convention Center
Philadelphia, PA

Located, in the heart of Philadelphia, VGXPO is located just a few blocks from the city's historic Independence Hall, Liberty Bell and the Philadelphia riverfront.
VGXPO EVENTS AND HAPPENINGS

You'll spend hours touring the expo floor, participating in workshops, exploring our Retro Con and Anime-Game Festival, and playing games in the VGXPO Arcade(All arcade games are set to free). We cover all of the bases - from Atari thru Xbox.

With so much to do while you're at the VGXPO be sure to plan your time at the show before you come.

Click here for a complete list of VGXPO events and activities.
VGXPO EXPO FLOOR HOURS

Friday - 2:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday - 11:00am - 9:00pm
Sunday - 11:00am - 5:00pm

Video Games Live show times:
October 11, 2009 Philadelphia, PA VGXPO Kimmel Center 3 PM

October 11, 2009 Philadelphia, PA VGXPO Kimmel Center 7:30 PM

I am going to be at the 7:30 PM showing, which should be alot of fun.

Washington D.C. Metro Area CAG/Goozex/Pwned Meet-up

Date: Saturday, October 10th 2009

Time: 2PM - Whenever (We've gone 3+ hours)

7000 Arundel Mills Circle Suite D-1 Hanover , MD 21076 443-755-0113

who plans to attend-
G-Nitro
mafafu
Kevlar51
I-Weapon-X
MCalvert1
BlackCoyote
mischiefmaker
taintedzodiac
geomoose
nightmare452

Please post in the thread or PM and I'll update the list as necessary.
We are finally having another meet, as it has been a good bit since our last one. Since our last one was at White Flint Mall in Rockville, we are bringing it back to Arundel Mills in Hanover, MD to make it more accessible to those in the Baltimore area again.

Don't forget to bring your games and other stuff to trade or give away, as we always have a nice swap/trade session.

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey folks. I'm a noob and not sure if this is where to post about deals I've found or not.

Over at the Best Buy at Potomac Yards I found Saint's Row 2 Special Edition for $20. It comes with a money clip and a USB shaped like a bullet.

The store had maybe a half dozen of these in stock.

Cheers!

[quote name='Nebenator']If it was the D&B at 11301 Rockville Pike # 300, Kensington, MD 20895-6008 I could probably make it, but Arundel Mills is too far :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

We have been alternating the meet up locations between the White Flint and Arundel Mills locations, and this is our Arundel Mills turn this time for those closer to the Baltimore Area. I can assure you the next meet will be held at White Flint D&B.

[quote name='G-Nitro']We have been alternating the meet up locations between the White Flint and Arundel Mills locations, and this is our Arundel Mills turn this time for those closer to the Baltimore Area. I can assure you the next meet will be held at White Flint D&B.[/QUOTE]
Ok, no problem.

who plans to attend-
G-Nitro
mafafu
Kevlar51
I-Weapon-X
MCalvert1
BlackCoyote
mischiefmaker
taintedzodiac
geomoose
nightmare452
animallyson - maybe

We are finally having another meet, as it has been a good bit since our last one. Since our last one was at White Flint Mall in Rockville, we are bringing it back to Arundel Mills in Hanover, MD to make it more accessible to those in the Baltimore area again.

Don't forget to bring your games and other stuff to trade or give away, as we always have a nice swap/trade session.

I'll come to a meetup one of these days, though I'll be out of town this time - next time it's in White Flint perhaps. Though I'm sure my girlfriend would mock me mercilessly.

I had a different question:

Does anyone know any good independent game stores in the DC area? Specifically ones which might have reasonable prices on older stuff, sort of a "mom and pop shop" vibe. I know that's a dying breed, but I thought perhaps there's something around. I know about estarland in Fairfax, but I'm not aware of any others.

Thanks.

[quote name='bvharris']
Does anyone know any good independent game stores in the DC area? Specifically ones which might have reasonable prices on older stuff, sort of a "mom and pop shop" vibe. I know that's a dying breed, but I thought perhaps there's something around. I know about estarland in Fairfax, but I'm not aware of any others.
Thanks.[/QUOTE]

This is the only one I can think of:

http://www.pandorascube.com/

I have no experience with them, I just heard of the store through a friend.

As for the meet-up, I would love to go, but I can't commit until I find out whether or not I have to go out of town that weekend. I should know by tonight.

[quote name='The Great BM']This is the only one I can think of:

http://www.pandorascube.com/

I have no experience with them, I just heard of the store through a friend.[/QUOTE]

I think I went to that store once, a long time ago (did they used to have a store in VA?). Don't remember buying anything, though. Didn't know they were still around.

Their site confuses me. On whose planet is the "regular price" for a Wii $419, and the "regular price" for a Wii Fit $199? Even their "sale" prices are totally unrealistic. Just seeing that on their front page makes me not want to bother to look any further into their site or go to their store. How do they even do business?

Steer clear of Pandora's Cube. They have horrible staff that tend to be pretty rude and they are very overpriced on their items.

They also got busted years back for selling modified XBox (original) consoles.

There is a store in Glen Burnie Mall called Power Gamers. Their prices are a bit more down to earth, unless you are purchasing imports.

[quote name='G-Nitro']Steer clear of Pandora's Cube. They have horrible staff that tend to be pretty rude and they are very overpriced on their items.

They also got busted years back for selling modified XBox (original) consoles.

There is a store in Glen Burnie Mall called Power Gamers. Their prices are a bit more down to earth, unless you are purchasing imports.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I'll steer clear of Pandora's Cube, though it's not like I needed another reason to avoid College Park. :D

Glen Burnie is a bit far for me, but maybe I'll allot some extra time the next time I'm picking up or dropping off someone at BWI.

I know this is off topic, but there's a free concert in Baltimore friday night with the Gin Blossoms at Power Plant. Gates open at 6pm, band at 8pm. 21 and over only. I'll be there with my wife and some friends.

To make a tiny connection to gaming, I'll say that "Hey Jealousy" was a song featured in the first Karaoke Revolution on PS2 and Xbox. And there's nothing more cheapass than free!

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']I know this is off topic, but there's a free concert in Baltimore friday night with the Gin Blossoms at Power Plant. Gates open at 6pm, band at 8pm. 21 and over only. I'll be there with my wife and some friends.

To make a tiny connection to gaming, I'll say that "Hey Jealousy" was a song featured in the first Karaoke Revolution on PS2 and Xbox. And there's nothing more cheapass than free!

MjC[/QUOTE]

Talk about a reach there with the game relation :)

The concert sounds pretty good, if this was not the season for weddings (serious, why is everyone getting married) I would be there.

2 weeks away. Latest updated list.

We will meet in the bar near the outside entrance.

who plans to attend-
G-Nitro
mafafu
Kevlar51
I-Weapon-X
MCalvert1
BlackCoyote
mischiefmaker
taintedzodiac
geomoose
nightmare452
animallyson - maybe
The Mana Knight
horns456
nissan288
The Great BM
Indifference

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bvharris']

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

There is Play N Trade in Alexandria, VA and in Chantilly, VA

I don't remember the prices on the old stuff.

Also estarland is having a buy 2g1f sale on older stuff that ends soon

[quote name='KaitouDark']There is Play N Trade in Alexandria, VA and in Chantilly, VA[/QUOTE]

Huh, nice -- thanks for the info. I've worked in Chantilly for over a year now, and never knew that was there (don't tend to go exploring off of my route to/from work that much). I'll have to go check it out. Are they any better about the condition of their used games than GameStop is? I've pretty much stopped even going to GameStop because everything is always beat to hell.

edited the latest post with new attendees and removed a couple I confirmed aren't coming.

Also put in there where we meet inside D&B.

We will meet in the bar near the outside entrance.

[quote name='KaitouDark']

Also estarland is having a buy 2g1f sale on older stuff that ends soon[/QUOTE]

Looks like it ends on Wednesday. Which stinks, because I'm taking a long weekend starting Thursday and would have had time to go down there.

Is it online too?

Aw Arundel Mills? I just found this thread and was thinking "Awesome, White Flint Mall is only two minutes from where I live, what a great coincidence!"

I'd love to come, but that's a lot farther away, and the date is pretty close to the girlfriend's birthday so I'm not sure...

[quote name='bvharris']Looks like it ends on Wednesday. Which stinks, because I'm taking a long weekend starting Thursday and would have had time to go down there.

Is it online too?[/QUOTE]

Well estarland does all transactions online so you can just order it for pickup and pick it up later.

And regarding Play N Trade, I would say judging by the case quality in the Alexandria store I would say it would be on par or worse, not sure about the Herndon store, if you want case quality I would stick with estarland.

[quote name='KaitouDark'] And regarding Play N Trade, I would say judging by the case quality in the Alexandria store I would say it would be on par or worse, not sure about the Herndon store, if you want case quality I would stick with estarland.[/QUOTE]

Well, cases I don't care so much about because they're replaceable. What gets to me is when the discs are scratched to shit (I mean, really, what do people do with them?), and/or the manuals or covers are missing. At least it looks like Play N Trade has disc repair machines, so hopefully if a disc is scratched they'll at least be willing to run it through that.

[quote name='The Great BM']
As for the meet-up, I would love to go, but I can't commit until I find out whether or not I have to go out of town that weekend. I should know by tonight.[/QUOTE]

Okay, when I said "tonight", I meant to say "next week". :)

Anyway, I will be attending.

I don't know anything about this, but I figured there's a few of you here who are close enough to Columbia to be curious:

BEST BUY CLEARANCE EVENT
Friday October 2 4pm-8pm
Saturday October 3 8am-3pm
Sunday October 4 8am-3pm

GREAT REDUCED PRICES ON SCTATCH AND DENT, FLOOR MODELS AND NEW "IN-THE-BOX" PRODUCTS

APPLIANCES, TVs AND MUCH MORE

9031 SNOWDEN SQUARE DRIVE
COLUMBIA, MD 21046

This was in the upper right hand corner of the sports page in the Baltimore Sun today. I typed it out as close as I could to the ad.

Happy hunting!

MjC

ooooh nice. I live so close now. But I don't need to be spending money right now. Mortgage payment just came out and it always feels like a kick in the nuts. LOL

bread's done
Back