Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='MCalvert1']I'll be there if the snow ever stops falling. I might be snowed in until April.

MjC[/QUOTE]

Yes, isn't SNOWOCALYPSE III: the SNOWENING fun :)

[quote name='MCalvert1']I'll be there if the snow ever stops falling. I might be snowed in until April.

MjC[/QUOTE]Yeah, I hope the snow stops too. I gotta go outside later and plow it, so hopefully I can get to work tomorrow.

I forgot all about this thing, but here's a link to the social group I created about a year ago. Still a good spot to share meetup photos if nothing else.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/group.php?groupid=162

By my count, this will be the 9th "full" meetup if you want to edit your old banner G.

As an aside, I did manage to get in quite a bit of gaming while snowed in at home. Finished The World Ends With You and Brutal Legend, played all the way through 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, and started up LSL: Box Office Bust, Borderlands, and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. For me, that's a pretty solid week!

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']
As an aside, I did manage to get in quite a bit of gaming while snowed in at home. Finished The World Ends With You and Brutal Legend, played all the way through 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand, and started up LSL: Box Office Bust, Borderlands, and Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. For me, that's a pretty solid week!

MjC[/QUOTE]

I finished Sam & Max Season 1, got 10+ hrs into KH: 358/2 Days and played enough of Xmen Origins Wolverine to stop caring about the game, but here's my question to you: Why are you playing Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust? Did you lose a bet or something. ;)

[quote name='hostyl1']but here's my question to you: Why are you playing Leisure Suit Larry: Box Office Bust? Did you lose a bet or something. ;)[/QUOTE]

It's a fair question. I paid $4.99 for it from Gamefly. I'm still kind of a sucker for anything that's linked to any of the old school Sierra titles. No matter how bad it was, I would at least check out any game in the King's Quest, Space Quest, LSL, Quest for Glory, or maybe even Police Quest series to a lesser extent.

Or at least that is until now. Box Office Bust is so unbelievably bad that I really don't think I'm going to play much if any more of it.

-It's not funny.
-It's not fun.
-It's absolutely hideous.
-The controls suck.
-Some achievements are glitched (not that I would care to suffer long enough to try for any of them).

This game makes Magna Cum Laude look like game of the year material. It makes the BK games and Rock Reveolution embarrased to be sitting near it on my shelf.

MjC

Count me in for the meet up.

I've heard nothing but bad things about LSL. Mass Effect 2 was my game of the blizzards.

G-Nitro, add me to the list of attendees.

And since some of ya were posting it, I finished Mass Effect 2, Dante's Inferno, half of Bioshock 2, and prestiged on MW2 during the Blizzard.

Latest list of Attendees.

Washington D.C. Metro Area Goozex/CAG/Pwned Meet-up

Date: Saturday, March 13th 2010

Time: 2PM - Whenever (We've gone 3+ hours)

11301 Rockville Pike Kensington, MD 20895

We will meet near the bar at hopefully one of the long sections of tables. If not we will be near the bar..

who plans to attend-

• G-Nitro
  • Mafafu
  • The Great Bm
  • The Mana Knight
  • GenDV138
  • Indifference
  • Sc4rfac3
  • geomoose
  • dwhelan
  • MCalvert1
  • hostyl1
  • horns456
  • Oswald9599
  • jmiller80
  • nightmare452
Please post in the thread or PM and I'll update the list as necessary.

We are back at White Flint this time, just before everyone heads off to PAX East.

Don't forget to bring your games and other stuff to trade or give away, as we always have a nice swap/trade session.

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Time to jump in on this too. The games of the storms include

Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories (kind of creepy parallel with all the snow falling) and most of Darksiders.

Bayonetta, Chime and Netflix pretty much entertained me during the snow. I also played some of the first Bioshock, and realized how insanely bad I am at FPSs.

Some of you may have remembered me from the last meet-up. This time I hope I can stay longer. Who knows if I'll arrive on-time since I've never been anywhere near that area before.

As for my snow days, I mostly played White Knight Chronicles (I like it personally) single player, some TVC and NSMB on Wii, and Star Ocean: The Last Hope International. I put quite a bit of time into them. Also been watching much more anime again. The only game I beat just before it snowed was Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2.

I've missed the last couple of meetups, was planning on hitting this one but I'll be in AC for a bachelor party. Hopefully I'll make the next one.

My 360 got the RROD 3 days before the Snowpocalypse hit. I was just a couple of hours into Mass Effect 2 as well, I almost went out and bought one, but decided to control myself. I should be getting it back from M$ tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about your Red Ring, Ben. On that subject, does anyone know a reputable local place that can fix an out of warranty Red Ring for a reasonable price? DC, Baltimore, or York PA areas are fine.

MjC

If it's just a red ring, why not order and Xclamp and try it yourself? That's what I plan to do if mine ever craps out after March (warranty expiration). I've been trying to find a cheapo one on CL to practice on. But I'm a tinkerer by nature.

Greetings from Frederick. Calvert, there's always people posting on CL around here and Hagerstown offering RROD fixes, but I don't know how much they're charging. I think the Play N' Trade around Germantown does it(if it's even still there)

I was sorta SOL during the storms... I was actually expecting to be at work during most of it since everyone there was like "oh they haven't cancelled work due to snow in ten years etc etc". But they did, for three friggin' days. I just decided to wrap up a second play through of Far Cry 2, and I also dug my heels into Valkyria Chronicles. How good am I at RTS games? How about it took me a whole friggin day to defeat the Batomys.

Hostyl1, there was a time I would find that idea appealing. Especially since it's my old launch window 360 which was replaced over a year ago (with a unit that's already red ringed and been repaired under warranty). But these days I'm happy to spend an extra $20 and let someone who knows what they're doing handle it.

eastshore4, thanks for the tip. I'll give that place a call later. My wife's best friend has a job around the corner from there.

I'm hoping to get this one repaired and give it to a friend of mine who recently had his apartment broken into. They got his 360, Wii, Laptop, and some other stuff.

MjC

One of my coworkers told me a while ago that he fixes red ringed consoles as a side business. I can't really vouch for him on that one way or the other on that, as I haven't had that problem yet (and I've still got a while on my warranty anyway). I can ask him how much he charges, though, if you want.

My friend was able to get a (working) 360 from elsewhere, so I'm back to not caring about my dead launch window system anymore. Might be available for trade at the meetup! Anyone interested?

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']Sorry to hear about your Red Ring, Ben. On that subject, does anyone know a reputable local place that can fix an out of warranty Red Ring for a reasonable price? DC, Baltimore, or York PA areas are fine.

MjC[/QUOTE]

I know a good place in Calvert county if it helps. Let me know...

Anyone know a good place in Montgomery County that replaces Xbox360 drives? My bro's system boots up but no discs load, including regular DVDs.

I'll most likely be there on Saturday. I think it's been over 2 years since I've been able to attend a meet-up so it'll be nice to see old and new faces.

not sure if this is the right place, but the FYE in Fair Oaks Mall has all new games (incl rock band, dj hero, etc...) and accessories on sale right now (as of last sat.) for 25% off. I asked the cashier if this is going on at all locations and she said its only for that one because they are phasing out games. i didn't see any triple A titles for 360 but they had a good stock and since i sold my PS3 i didnt check what they had. for all the CAGs in the area i think its worth a look.

Meet up is tomorrow

We will meet near the bar at hopefully one of the long sections of tables. If not we will be near the bar..

who plans to attend-
  • G-Nitro
  • Mafafu
  • The Great Bm
  • The Mana Knight
  • GenDV138
  • Indifference
  • Sc4rfac3
  • geomoose
  • dwhelan
  • MCalvert1
  • hostyl1
  • horns456
  • Oswald9599
  • jmiller80
  • nightmare452

We are back at White Flint this time, just before everyone heads off to PAX East.

Don't forget to bring your games and other stuff to trade or give away, as we always have a nice swap/trade session.

[quote name='G-Nitro']Meet up is tomorrow

who plans to attend-
  • G-Nitro
  • Mafafu
  • The Great Bm
  • The Mana Knight
  • GenDV138
  • Indifference
  • Sc4rfac3
  • geomoose
  • dwhelan
  • MCalvert1
  • hostyl1
  • horns456
  • Oswald9599
  • jmiller80
  • nightmare452

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.[/QUOTE]

Have fun folks. I remember the first meet up as if it were a few years ago, lol. Good times. Trade a game for me and Cleaver, for old time sake. Glad to see the tradition goes on!

I don't usually check the regional forums, might have checked this out had I known about it ahead of time. I'll check and maybe show up to the next one of these.

Good times tonight, nice to be able to attend a meet-up again now that I'm not currently working Saturdays. Nice seeing everyone there, both new and old!

Hopefully I'll be able to make the next one, and I'll try to talk a bit more next time Indifference, haha.

Have fun at PAX East to whoever is going, maybe I'll be able to go next year.

Glad to see everyone (including the new Baby Moose) and looking forward to the Gooz/CAG meetup at PAX east.

Also, just in case you are bored tomorrow (3/14), there is a polar bear plunge tomorrow at Rehobeth Beach in Delaware. The more the merrier. :)

had a lot of fun seeing and BSing with everyone. Bashing on Bethesda games is always fun. Look forward to seeing everyone at PAX east who are going.

As for that Polar Bear plunge, you are on your own man! xD

Definitely was fun seeing and talking to everyone. Gonna have to check and see if I can "sneak" up and go to PAX and ask who has an extra pass.

(PS: Bethesda FTW!!!)

Shoot, I honestly thought it was today at D&B. I logged in this morning to remember what time everyone was meeting to come to find out I missed the day. Next time gentlemen. I had so much to trade too.

Alright, I am seriously considering going to PAX East now. Looking for everything at the last minute isn't good, but I'm trying. Its a mess right now, but I have decided to wing it. If anyone has advise on hotels (most are sold out now, but am still looking) or transportation from DC to Boston and back. Let me know, any advise would be appreciated. (I can find a way, but more options would decrease my expenses)

(I posted this same thing on the Goozex forums, just FYI)

Good times on Saturday! Glad to see so many attending these events. Everyone going to PAX, have fun and safe travels!

I've posted Blackcoyote's pics from the event at the Balt/DC Social Group.

Also, I'll give Ind1fference a little plug (of sorts) here. If anyone cares to read the story of my first console purchase, you can read it at The Broken Controller forum. Direct link:

http://brokencontrol.50.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=66

Until next time!

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']Good times on Saturday! Glad to see so many attending these events. Everyone going to PAX, have fun and safe travels!

I've posted Blackcoyote's pics from the event at the Balt/DC Social Group.

Also, I'll give Ind1fference a little plug (of sorts) here. If anyone cares to read the story of my first console purchase, you can read it at The Broken Controller forum. Direct link:

http://brokencontrol.50.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=66

Until next time!

MjC[/QUOTE]

Thanx for the plug, the story is even better the 2nd time. My parents felt the same way about games.

I might as well say hello, being from the northlands of Baltimore County...

I'm going to be working in Vienna for the summer and am looking for a place to live. Does anybody have an empty room in their house that they are trying to lease out?

I was in Northern, VA the other day looking for an anime store. However, I forgot to bring my map on where it is and got lost. I ended up finding Tysons Center, which was a pretty cool mall.

I have been doing a lot of biking nearby due to the weather.

bread's done
Back