Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='MCalvert1']Hostyl1, there was a time I would find that idea appealing. Especially since it's my old launch window 360 which was replaced over a year ago (with a unit that's already red ringed and been repaired under warranty). But these days I'm happy to spend an extra $20 and let someone who knows what they're doing handle it.

eastshore4, thanks for the tip. I'll give that place a call later. My wife's best friend has a job around the corner from there.

I'm hoping to get this one repaired and give it to a friend of mine who recently had his apartment broken into. They got his 360, Wii, Laptop, and some other stuff.

MjC[/QUOTE]
Now I might have to consider doing the same thing because my out of warranty 360 just died. If MS won't fix it for free (I never know unless I call), I'll have to do something else. I'll probably just trade it in, and eventually get a newer one (after E3).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I was in Northern, VA the other day looking for an anime store. However, I forgot to bring my map on where it is and got lost. I ended up finding Tysons Center, which was a pretty cool mall.

I have been doing a lot of biking nearby due to the weather.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing you were trying to get to Anime Pavilion? That's the only anime store I know of near there, which is down the street from me in Falls Church. About 10 minutes east of Tyson's Corner.

[quote name='GenDV138']I'm guessing you were trying to get to Anime Pavilion? That's the only anime store I know of near there, which is down the street from me in Falls Church. About 10 minutes east of Tyson's Corner.[/QUOTE]That was it because I was trying to find something there (which I saw online). I'll go back to Northern VA to explore some other areas.

I did hear about an anime store located east of Pittsburgh (3 1/2 hours away from me), so I might go there. I'm just really trying to track down more wallscrolls and such.

I went out today all over stores on Ritchie Hwy. I was able to find some PS2 JRPGs I've been trying to track down for a bit at GameStop Severna Park. I might make a trip to various malls around the Capitol Beltway tomorrow, but not sure yet.

Anyone been to Six Flags America in MD? I know 1-2 in this thread have, but thought I'd ask. I'm looking at going there in the near future (since I go to every theme park in the country) and can get a great deal on tickets. I might try to find someone to go with because I went to Hershey Park alone, but its tough to keep up with me at theme parks anyway. :p

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Anyone been to Six Flags America in MD? I know 1-2 in this thread have, but thought I'd ask. I'm looking at going there in the near future (since I go to every theme park in the country) and can get a great deal on tickets. I might try to find someone to go with because I went to Hershey Park alone, but its tough to keep up with me at theme parks anyway. :p[/QUOTE]

I went there back when it was adventure world. Usually at the beginning of the season you can buy season tickets at the local giants for like $100 or something like that. It's pretty cool tho they have some good rides and the waterpark is awesome.

Anyways on topic MD CAG here if anyone is near the Annapolis area and wants to check out my games PM me (I literally have 100s of games I need to start ebaying them as I am running out of room)

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Anyone been to Six Flags America in MD? I know 1-2 in this thread have, but thought I'd ask. I'm looking at going there in the near future (since I go to every theme park in the country) and can get a great deal on tickets. I might try to find someone to go with because I went to Hershey Park alone, but its tough to keep up with me at theme parks anyway. :p[/QUOTE]
Six Flags in MD is one of the worst parks from what I hear. Most of the times nothing works. Dan Snyder (Redskins owner) owns the Six Flags too. Try Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens or Water Country or Great Wolf lodge.

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']I went there back when it was adventure world. Usually at the beginning of the season you can buy season tickets at the local giants for like $100 or something like that. It's pretty cool tho they have some good rides and the waterpark is awesome.

Anyways on topic MD CAG here if anyone is near the Annapolis area and wants to check out my games PM me (I literally have 100s of games I need to start ebaying them as I am running out of room)[/QUOTE]If I was looking for games, I'd probably take a look (not so much right now). I go to Annapolis Mall area at least once a month.
[quote name='decon']Six Flags in MD is one of the worst parks from what I hear. Most of the times nothing works. Dan Snyder (Redskins owner) owns the Six Flags too. Try Kings Dominion or Busch Gardens or Water Country or Great Wolf lodge.[/QUOTE]Eh, I'm mostly just going there so I can add more coasters I've been on, on my master list. I've been to King's Dominion and will go there later in the year. I hope to go to Busch Gardens in VA. I just have a massive list of theme parks I'm looking to go to this year.

Can anyone on the MD side of things confirm if the Play N' Trade in Olney has closed down? I went there once a year-and-a-half ago, and decided to go there today, but even though it shows up on google maps their phone number didn't work, and the store finder didn't bring up any results.

Yeah, the local Six Flags is pretty lame. It is cheap however, and close. So that might be enough incentive. When I went last year only 2 coasters were operational.

If you like coasters the most, try King's Dominion and then Busch Gardens.

eastshore4: No idea if that Play N Trade is still there but based on what you wrote I would doubt it.

MjC

I've been to Six Flags in MD a few times, it's alright. Managed to ride all the rollercoasters in 2-3 hours last time I was there in the summer with the little to no lines. Superman and Batwing are probably my favorites. Much smaller park than King's Dominion and Hershey Park.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']If I was looking for games, I'd probably take a look (not so much right now). I go to Annapolis Mall area at least once a month.
Eh, I'm mostly just going there so I can add more coasters I've been on, on my master list. I've been to King's Dominion and will go there later in the year. I hope to go to Busch Gardens in VA. I just have a massive list of theme parks I'm looking to go to this year.[/QUOTE]

Cool well CML I literally live right next to the Annapolis mall so if you ever see something you like on my list (also ask as I have tons of stuff that isn't listed) I could ride up there and we can do a local trade/sale.

STAY AWAY FROM SIX FLAGS! Ghetto daycare! Parents buy their mini-thugs season passes and drop them off everyday while they go to work. A lot of crime. Stick to Hershey Park, Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens

I did end up getting a Six Flags ticket, but I will go before kids get out of school. It will probably be the only time I ever go there (I mostly stick to other parks). I just want to rack up my roller coaster ride count. :lol:

I went to Lake Forest Mall for the first time ever (in Gaithersburg.....long and annoying drive for me, mostly due to Capital Beltway traffic), and let me admit that Sears had awesome clearance games really cheap, kind of like when I went to Sears at Security Square Mall.

[quote name='eastshore4']Can anyone on the MD side of things confirm if the Play N' Trade in Olney has closed down? I went there once a year-and-a-half ago, and decided to go there today, but even though it shows up on google maps their phone number didn't work, and the store finder didn't bring up any results.[/QUOTE]

Its been gone for almost a year now.

[quote name='G-Nitro']STAY AWAY FROM SIX FLAGS! Ghetto daycare! Parents buy their mini-thugs season passes and drop them off everyday while they go to work. A lot of crime. Stick to Hershey Park, Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens[/QUOTE]

Totally agree, no parental supervision. Tons of the "mini-thugs" running around with nothing better to do than fuck with you. It's in the heart of PG.

Figured I would throw this out to any local CAGs. I have just the band set (no software) from Band Hero that I need to get rid of. Make an offer and we can go from there. I also have a ton of other stuff that I am getting rid of that I would be willing to meet up and trade or sell. Check my list.

[quote name='thebob101']Totally agree, no parental supervision. Tons of the "mini-thugs" running around with nothing better to do than fuck with you. It's in the heart of PG.[/QUOTE]I already got a ticket there, but I plan to go before school is out (and go there on a Friday or Saturday).

It wasn't bad at all when I went to Six Flags, but I went during a day kids were still in school and there was next to no one there. Employees were really nice there too when I went (giving you a high five before getting on rides). It was a small park no doubt, but I just wanted to add more roller coasters to my list of what I've been on. :p I did blog about it on CAG.

[quote name='VideoGamesIzFun']Also there is an awesome store in Glen Burnie called PowerGamer tons of retro games, imports, and swag. I usually go there around once a week.[/QUOTE]

Do they carry any import consoles? Glen Burnie's a bit out of the way for me, but this might be worth the trip.

FYI -- The Olney Blockbuster is going out of business, all the games are 30% off the marked price. There are a couple of $6.99 games like Dark Sector, sports games and Viking of Asgarth (sp?) that should come to less then $5 with the discount. Not to mention all the DVDs and Blurays for cheap. Might want to call before going, they are closing any day now.

[quote name='Indifference']MCalvert, Tiny and I started a podcast. http://gameenthuscast.libsyn.com/rss , enjoy[/QUOTE]

Fantastic! - nice to have you back in the podcast business indifference, and I already like you new lineup! :D I've subscribed, and I'm feeding episode 7 into my Zune now for 2+ hours (good golly guys!) of expected goodness...

[quote name='orangeninja2']Fantastic! - nice to have you back in the podcast business indifference, and I already like you new lineup! :D I've subscribed, and I'm feeding episode 7 into my Zune now for 2+ hours (good golly guys!) of expected goodness...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we've agreed to shorten up future episodes!

MjC

[quote name='horns456']Will give it a listen.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='orangeninja2']Fantastic! - nice to have you back in the podcast business indifference, and I already like you new lineup! :D I've subscribed, and I'm feeding episode 7 into my Zune now for 2+ hours (good golly guys!) of expected goodness...[/QUOTE]

I hope you guys enjoy it. We enjoyed recording it.

The RSS feed has changed( I went back to my original one) http://gameenthus.libsyn.com/rss
itunes

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='The Mana Knight']That was it because I was trying to find something there (which I saw online). I'll go back to Northern VA to explore some other areas.

I did hear about an anime store located east of Pittsburgh (3 1/2 hours away from me), so I might go there. I'm just really trying to track down more wallscrolls and such.

I went out today all over stores on Ritchie Hwy. I was able to find some PS2 JRPGs I've been trying to track down for a bit at GameStop Severna Park. I might make a trip to various malls around the Capitol Beltway tomorrow, but not sure yet.[/QUOTE]

I live close to Pittsburgh and there is an anime place near me, it's called Joys Japanimation. Here is the link: http://www.joysjapanimation.com/posters/index.shtml . Haven't been there but if you are in the area it's worth a look. It's in Greensburg PA about 45 mins East of Pittsburgh. If you are interested in used books, there is a used books store right across the street from Joy's, I spent a lot of time there haha.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I went to Mega Media Xchange in Rosedale, MD today. I was surprised by how many classic games/consoles they had.[/QUOTE]

I usually stop in there when I'm on that side of town. It's pretty cool. They used to be called Planet Replay and opened a bunch of stores in the area, but all the rest of them closed up within about a year.

MjC

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I went to Mega Media Xchange in Rosedale, MD today. I was surprised by how many classic games/consoles they had.[/QUOTE]

How are their prices? I'm gonna be up that way next month, might be worth checking out.

[quote name='bvharris']How are their prices? I'm gonna be up that way next month, might be worth checking out.[/QUOTE]

I haven't been there in a while but I will be down in that area today so if I have time I'll stop in there. I do know that for game trades there cash prices are usually what GameStop offers in store credit.

Otakon is in 4 weeks, for anyone going, I'll be hosting a panel with a friend of mine on Japanese Pro Wrestling. Even if you don't like wrestling we try to make it fun with comedy spots and anime/game references. When I know the day and time I will post it here.

[quote name='The Great BM']You know I was gonna ask anyone if they'd be interested in this event, but I don't know what genius decided to plan it the same day as Otakon:

http://www.wolf-trap.org/Home/Find_Performances_and_Events/Performance/10Filene/0730show10.aspx[/QUOTE]

I had a blast at Wolf Trap last year, so I might be up for this. I always thought I'd enjoy seeing a live performance of FF stuff, but I'm not actually familiar with anything meaningful past 8. But I would really enjoy some tunes from FF4, 6, and 7!

MjC

So yeah, I completely forgot I had tickets to another concert that night. I am an idiot. Oh well, I thought you all would like to know Distant Worlds anyway.

Just got word that my panel at otakon is set for Friday morning at 11am in panel 4. If anyone wants to learn a little about pro wrestling in japan should stop by and check it out. We've got over 30 minutes of clips this year.

[quote name='enemyofusall']Moving to the area in a week :) Goodbye Pennsylvania haha. Are there any places to get games besides best buy and gamestop locally?[/QUOTE]

Welcome! Depends where you're moving, it's a big area. There are a few good independent stores in the suburbs, though (in my experience) nothing to write home about.

gotcha, moving to the Arlington Area :) Just was checking because I know some places have some good smaller stores for games and swag and stuff. We have an anime store where I live now that has some good game related things such as mgs wall scrolls and the like. thanks though.

Just gotta post, I am getting more pumped up by Otakon being one week away each day. I have been on an anime buying spree lately and I am in gear for it. Trying to convincing a couple of friends to try to go even though they don't know anything about it (one doesn't even watch TV, didn't even know what Star Wars was, WTF!)

Anyway, to any CAGs or local fans who are going, see ya there, I'll be all three days early. We should actually have made a CAG/Goozex panel, so much knowledge to share.

bread's done
Back