Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

I will be at Otakon Friday and Saturday from 9am to 12am or 1am and sunday from 8:30am to 3pm.

I'll also be in line around 1pm on Thursday to pick up my pre-reg badge. :D

Friday I will be attending the following panels: Vocaloid (1:30-2:30), Funimation (6-7:30), and Visual Novels (12AM-1AM)

Saturday I will be attending: Asian Beats: J-Pop/K-Pop (6:30-7:30), and Bandai After Dark (9-10:30)

Sunday will be strictly dealer's room for me. xD

Hit me up on twitter if you want to meet up and hang out. :D

[quote name='nightmare452']Just gotta post, I am getting more pumped up by Otakon being one week away each day. I have been on an anime buying spree lately and I am in gear for it. Trying to convincing a couple of friends to try to go even though they don't know anything about it (one doesn't even watch TV, didn't even know what Star Wars was, WTF!)

Anyway, to any CAGs or local fans who are going, see ya there, I'll be all three days early. We should actually have made a CAG/Goozex panel, so much knowledge to share.[/QUOTE]I was just about to post in here how pumped I am for Otakon. I'm beyond excited and can't wait for it. :D It will be my first Otakon. I'm limiting myself in spending no more than $200, but we'll see.

I haven't planned out my days yet, but I plan to go to various gaming tournaments, dealers area, and many other things.

For me, my schedule is looking like:
Friday
9am - 6pm (could be earlier or later).

Saturday
9am - who knows (co-workers want me to go to a party, trying to figure out how to do both).

Sunday
not sure yet, depending upon how long it goes on. Won't stay past 5pm though.

I'll probably run into G-Nitro a few times since I already know him. Others, I'm not really sure.

As a hint, Friday I plan to wear my Sora Kingdom Hearts shirt (with bracelet, crown necklace, etc.). Sunday I'm wearing Death Note clothing. Saturday will be either Bleach, Kingdom Hearts, or MGS (unless I buy a new shirt).

Friday:
Get down there around 9, check in for panel, run through some things with my friend/panelist
11 - Host the panel Japanese Pro Wrestling
12:30 - 7 Sega Saturn Games You Should of Played
3:30 - The Evolution of Video Game Music
6:30 - Japan: The Most Convenient Place on Earth
10:30 - Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl

Saturday:
3 - Black Lagoon / High School of the Dead
4:30 - Ocha!: Introduction to Japanese Tea
10 - Saturday Night Fan Parodies

I think that's about all I want to see, other times I'll be in the game room, dealers room, or at a bar drinking.

I'll be at Otakon, staffing the video gaming hall. Outside a few trips to the dealers room, I'll probably be in there most of the weekend.

Alright, Otakon tomorrow!!!

I plan on attending any and all videogame related panels first and foremost. I hope this Otakon I will be able to spend more time on the gaming room as I usually just spend like 30 minutes tops each year due to other friends that don't like that (they are MIA this Otakon, so I am doing a solo trip for the first time, freedom!)

My tentative schedule is below (please note I don't have twitter or internet during Otakon, so there is no way to check this forums until after the show). If any CAGs wanna meet up, let me know either way, there seem to be gaps in everyone's schedules.

Friday:
Get down there around 9AM (I wish, I know I am as lazy as a slug, so I probably will be later than this, but I can hope),
12:30PM - 7 Sega Saturn Games You Should of Played
2:00PM - Bamboo Blade (anime showing)
3:30PM - The Evolution of Video Game Music
6:00PM - Funimation Panel
8:00PM - Giant Monsters Panel

Saturday:
9:00AM - Bending the Elements (Last Airbender Panel)
4:00PM - New Video Games Live Documentary Special
6:30PM - One Piece Podcast
8:00PM - Anime and Manga Realm of Mega Man

Sunday:
100% free at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nightmare452']Alright, Otakon tomorrow!!!

I plan on attending any and all videogame related panels first and foremost. I hope this Otakon I will be able to spend more time on the gaming room as I usually just spend like 30 minutes tops each year due to other friends that don't like that (they are MIA this Otakon, so I am doing a solo trip for the first time, freedom!)

My tentative schedule is below (please note I don't have twitter or internet during Otakon, so there is no way to check this forums until after the show). If any CAGs wanna meet up, let me know either way, there seem to be gaps in everyone's schedules.

Friday:
Get down there around 9AM (I wish, I know I am as lazy as a slug, so I probably will be later than this, but I can hope),
12:30PM - 7 Sega Saturn Games You Should of Played
2:00PM - Bamboo Blade (anime showing)
3:30PM - The Evolution of Video Game Music
6:00PM - Funimation Panel
8:00PM - Giant Monsters Panel

Saturday:
9:00AM - Bending the Elements (Last Airbender Panel)
4:00PM - New Video Games Live Documentary Special
6:30PM - One Piece Podcast
8:00PM - Anime and Manga Realm of Mega Man

Sunday:
100% free at the moment.[/QUOTE]I will try to look out for you (I remember who you were).

Anyway, I'm excited and can't wait to go today. :D

This will be my Friday for sure (some gaps to still fill in):
9-10am VG Anime or Anime Intro/Ends
12:30pm Saturn Games
3:30pm VG Music (Around then I'll be watching Eureka Seven movie)
5pm DDR Standard Tournament
6pm Funimation Panel (& SCIV Tournament PS3 at 6pm)

I'll decide Saturday tomorrow.

I copied down G-Nitro's, Midnite's, and nightmare's schedule down. If people want to email me (to get in touch with me, my cell phone will give me a notification), my email is the same as my XBL name in my profile, at gmail.com

EDIT: This is exactly what I'll be wearing (although it doesn't show my face):
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac324/ManaXKnight/PreOtakon2010_2.jpg

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
5pm DDR Standard Tournament

EDIT: This is exactly what I'll be wearing (although it doesn't show my face):
http://i912.photobucket.com/albums/ac324/ManaXKnight/PreOtakon2010_2.jpg[/QUOTE]

I ran most of the DDR Standard tourney. Sorry, I don't remember the shirt, which entrant number were you?

Brain kind of fried from the last couple days, setting up the game room most of Thursday, helping to keep things running smoothly on Friday (with 1 run to the dealers room, Masterpiece Ghost Starscream and Transformers Animated keychains acquired). Hope to spend some time with Dragon Quest 9 tomorrow, to get to the point where I can use Tag Mode, since there's apparently a lot of people walking around in Tag Mode.

[quote name='Bloomy']I ran most of the DDR Standard tourney. Sorry, I don't remember the shirt, which entrant number were you?

Brain kind of fried from the last couple days, setting up the game room most of Thursday, helping to keep things running smoothly on Friday (with 1 run to the dealers room, Masterpiece Ghost Starscream and Transformers Animated keychains acquired). Hope to spend some time with Dragon Quest 9 tomorrow, to get to the point where I can use Tag Mode, since there's apparently a lot of people walking around in Tag Mode.[/QUOTE]I decided not to attend the tourney.

I was in the game room yesterday at one point.

The T-shirt I'll be wearing today is Near from Death Note (same as this wall scroll basically):
http://www.amazon.com/Death-Note-Ne...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1280578093&sr=8-15

My day will be set to:
AMV - 3pm
Gundam Beyond 30 (maybe) 7:30pm
Mega Man (definitely) - 8pm
Bandai After Dark (if I decide to stay that late) - 9pm

[quote name='Bloomy']I ran most of the DDR Standard tourney. Sorry, I don't remember the shirt, which entrant number were you?

Brain kind of fried from the last couple days, setting up the game room most of Thursday, helping to keep things running smoothly on Friday (with 1 run to the dealers room, Masterpiece Ghost Starscream and Transformers Animated keychains acquired). Hope to spend some time with Dragon Quest 9 tomorrow, to get to the point where I can use Tag Mode, since there's apparently a lot of people walking around in Tag Mode.[/QUOTE]I decided not to attend the tourney.

I was in the game room yesterday at one point.

The T-shirt I'll be wearing today is Near from Death Note (same as this wall scroll basically):
http://www.amazon.com/Death-Note-Ne...?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1280578093&sr=8-15

My day will be set to:
AMV - 3pm
Gundam Beyond 30 (maybe) 7:30pm
Mega Man (definitely) - 8pm
Bandai After Dark (if I decide to stay that late) - 9pm

If I'm not at any other those places, I'll be in the Dealers room, game area, hanging out with nightmare/G-Nitro, or just playing my PSP somewhere.

The Toys R Us in Columbia will be moving further up Dobbin Road to the building where the Home Depot Expo Design Center used to be (next to the Red Robin). The current store has closing signs up, everything must go, 10%-30% off, furniture / fixtures for sale. An employee said this started on Sunday. The signs say videogames are excluded, but they were marked 10% off this morning, and accessories 30% off. That exclusion is probably just for consoles (or I misread the sign). The store will be open until the end of September / early October, with the new store opening in mid-October. Hope the discounts get bigger, though I'm curious if they'd rather just shift stock than offer 50%-70% discounts.

[quote name='Bloomy']The Toys R Us in Columbia will be moving further up Dobbin Road to the building where the Home Depot Expo Design Center used to be (next to the Red Robin). The current store has closing signs up, everything must go, 10%-30% off, furniture / fixtures for sale. An employee said this started on Sunday. The signs say videogames are excluded, but they were marked 10% off this morning, and accessories 30% off. That exclusion is probably just for consoles (or I misread the sign). The store will be open until the end of September / early October, with the new store opening in mid-October. Hope the discounts get bigger, though I'm curious if they'd rather just shift stock than offer 50%-70% discounts.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I heard about the news when I was curious as to what was opening up at Columbia Crossing II (I'm in that area all the time).

All right, there's a PlayStation blog meet-up in Washington D.C. on Tuesday. Since I'm a big PlayStation fan, I definitely want to go. I decided to drive down to D.C. today so I can figure out my way around the area (making the Tuesday drive much easier). OMG, DC is so complicated to drive around. So many one way and narrow streets. I would be in the right lane, then see parked cars ahead, so I had to change lanes. I had issues bringing them up. Streets are only 25mph, lots of pedestrians, and street lights are tough to notice due to being on the edge of streets. Ugh, it was a pain. I was thinking about taking the Metro instead, but that's not too good of an idea because most Metro locations are far from me anyway. It's like I'd have to drive all the way to White Flint (as an example), park, then go all the way into D.C. via metro. I don't even know the schedules or anything.

I'm thinking of biting the bullet driving. At least this time I'll change a few things, such as taking I-495 to 16th street or Connecticut Ave. From there, I'll just head down to Dupont Circle. I know where the place is and printed some parking coupons online.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']

All right, there's a PlayStation blog meet-up in Washington D.C. on Tuesday. [/QUOTE]

I'm gonna try to make it to this as well. Of course, it would have been nice if they chose a day that I was actually working in the District, but I'll suck it up.

Regardless, I want to praise Sony for promoting Move this way, as opposed to some other companies that make you drive all the way out to an ass-tastic amusement park and have you pay admission just to see their product.

[quote name='The Great BM']I'm gonna try to make it to this as well. Of course, it would have been nice if they chose a day that I was actually working in the District, but I'll suck it up.

Regardless, I want to praise Sony for promoting Move this way, as opposed to some other companies that make you drive all the way out to an ass-tastic amusement park and have you pay admission just to see their product.[/QUOTE]

Kinect was/is at Macy's in VA. I didn't feel like driving to see it though. See you tuesday

I'd like to check out the Columbia Toys R Us, but a hour+ drive is too much for me.

And it's a good thing I signed up for email updates otherwise I would have missed the playstation move demo.

I will be there at the meet-up, but going to take the DC Metro in. I like the way Sony is promoting Move for sure, although I already know I'm buying it. ;)

As for Columbia TRU, I was right by there earlier and didn't stop by. Maybe Wednesday.

I will be wearing my Uncharted 2 T-shirt at the meet-up, along with my PlayStation hat (same one I wore at D&B CAG meet-ups).

Right now I'm debating which DC Metro station. Either I start at New Carrollton (I'll be driving I-95 south or U.S. 1 to the Capital Beltway) or somewhere near White Flint (driving U.S. 29 south or I-95 to the Capital Beltway). New Carrollton seems easier, but it would be a longer walk taking the orange line compared to red.

If anyone is looking the Columbia Best Buy has a TON of Final Fantasy 360 Bundles. I think they were $300 but I bet the prices will keep dropping and that'll be a good place to snag one then.

I was first in-line at the PS Move event. :D

Eh, I don't really need another 360 (I already have FFXIII on PS3). I will check out some places over the weekend. Still keep forgetting to check TRU out in Columbia.

So the GameStop I part-time at will have a PS Move Demo in 2 weeks, I'll have more info for those who want it later. The store is in Lutherville, MD just north of Towson.

[quote name='Midnite']So the GameStop I part-time at will have a PS Move Demo in 2 weeks, I'll have more info for those who want it later. The store is in Lutherville, MD just north of Towson.[/QUOTE]
In two weeks, I'll already have my PS Move.

Today is my birthday and have nothing planned. I might just go to Dave & Busters.

[quote name='Midnite']So the GameStop I part-time at will have a PS Move Demo in 2 weeks, I'll have more info for those who want it later. The store is in Lutherville, MD just north of Towson.[/QUOTE]

Is this Grand York? I might have to stop in and check this out. Any idea if most stores will have this or only your store?

[quote name='The Mana Knight']In two weeks, I'll already have my PS Move.

Today is my birthday and have nothing planned. I might just go to Dave & Busters.[/QUOTE]

Happy Birthday Mana!

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']Is this Grand York? I might have to stop in and check this out. Any idea if most stores will have this or only your store?[/QUOTE]

Yup, it's that one. I'll check details today when I'm up there later this afternoon.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Today is my birthday[/QUOTE]

Happy Birthday

PS Move Demo at the Grand York GameStop just off of York Rd in Lutherville, MD (just north of Towson) on Saturday September 18 from 1-4.

I finally went to Toy's R Us in Columbia (Shocking I waited so long because its the TRU near me). Games were 40% off mostly, so I bought a bunch of awesome stuff for only $60 combined.

Wonder when they changed the price. I was in there the other evening, and DS games had gone to 30% off while the rest remained at 20% off. Probably won't be able to pop in tonight, but should be able to tomorrow.

[quote name='Bloomy']Wonder when they changed the price. I was in there the other evening, and DS games had gone to 30% off while the rest remained at 20% off. Probably won't be able to pop in tonight, but should be able to tomorrow.[/QUOTE]The Wii game and figure I got was 30% off. The DVDs and PSP games I got was 40% off. It's up to 50% right now.

Maybe one day you'll run into me there since that's my neck of the woods.

[quote name='FlamingMoogles']Wow, haven't been keeping tabs on this thread in a while. I had a similar experience to Mana Knight's at that TRS. Pretty decent deals![/QUOTE]Kind of surprised you drove all the way to Columbia. :p

I've been to a bunch of Toy's R Us locations (Gaithersburg, Glen Burnie, Annapolis, Catonsville, etc.), but I will admit I preferred the one in Columbia based on what I've seen (which is kind of a shock since I normally prefer Anne Arundel county locations of stores).

TRU is now up to 70% off, where games are 50% off. Not much left, but there is R&C Future: ACiT (PS3) for half off of $35. If I didn't already own the game I'd be all over it.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']TRU is now up to 70% off, where games are 50% off. Not much left, but there is R&C Future: ACiT (PS3) for half off of $35. If I didn't already own the game I'd be all over it.[/QUOTE]

Still $15 - $20 too much. :D

PS Move was at Arundel Mills today.
PSMoveArundel.jpg

A bunch of games were showcased like LittleBigPlanet 2, Razing Storm, The Shoot, SingStar Dance, games already out, and so on. I only played SingStar Dance (I sang Chris Brown "With You") and watched some of the others.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']PS Move was at Arundel Mills today.
[/QUOTE]

They had a whole Playstation tent at the Virgin Festival yesterday. I stopped in to see what was there, and it looked mostly like Move demos. It was fairly crowded, though, and I could tell that my girlfriend was going to get annoyed quickly if I tried to hang out in there at all (even though there was an hour until the next band we wanted to see), so I didn't stick around.

With the year heading into the holidays, I think it is time to get the band back together.

I am thinking a CAGGOGGEP* meetup for DC/VA/MD/DE (and whoever else wants to drive)

So questions:

When are people available? (thinking October, since November and December have 'major' holidays) - I will give it until Oct 1st for more feedback and the winning date will be announced.

picture.php

Where do we want it?

Am I crazy?

*CAG - Goozex - Otaku Gamer - GameEnthus - Pwned.com

Tiny, as for a meetup, I should be free anytime unless my family decides to visit me one weekend in October (more likely to be early).

[quote name='arcane93']They had a whole Playstation tent at the Virgin Festival yesterday. I stopped in to see what was there, and it looked mostly like Move demos. It was fairly crowded, though, and I could tell that my girlfriend was going to get annoyed quickly if I tried to hang out in there at all (even though there was an hour until the next band we wanted to see), so I didn't stick around.[/QUOTE]I heard about the other Virgin Festivals showcasing PS games over the years.

[quote name='Specter Fate']Am pretty new but plan to post more.. Just moved to Columbia from Alexandria here.[/QUOTE]Welcome to the area. All I can say is that I'm not very far from there. ;)

I remember the 2009 V-fest at Pimlico had a PS Truck that showcased Rock Band 2, I got to play "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters before we went to see them live!

[quote name='aosora13']I can meet up on 10/23 just name the place. I believe the Colomia is not that bad either. Who is the organizer for the meetup?[/QUOTE]It will probably be in the Arundel Mills either. Most any area is fine for me since I drive all over.

[quote name='drktrpr1']I remember the 2009 V-fest at Pimlico had a PS Truck that showcased Rock Band 2, I got to play "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters before we went to see them live![/QUOTE]I never went to a V-fest, but I only lived in the Mid-Atlantic region for over a year.

Btw, I do go to Westfield Annapolis every once in a while in the area. Bought a bunch of my gaming shirts at that mall.

bread's done
Back