Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

Otakon was fine, there is a ton of cheap stuff around there not to mention those rat burgers being grilled outside by that one couple last year . But the area around Katsucon was too new and there was just nothing there even the CVS wasn't built yet. Little deli inside the gaylord was charging 7 or 9 bucks for half a cold cut, convenience store 3.50 for a small orange juice . I'm just hoping after a year something was built over there that isn't a complete rip off.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I registered for Katsucon a few weeks ago. I'm going.
http://www.katsucon.com/

Takes place at Gaylord National Harbor Resort & Convention Center, February 18th-20th, 2011![/QUOTE]

I will most likely go as well. Went last years and it was a blast.

Also, I am going to MAGfest. Just got to figure out were to park as I've never been there. Got my paypal receipt already. Plan on going Thrusday night and Saturday until football starts at 4PM.

I was actually going to cosplay for my next con, but due to Katsu creeping up on me, not going to happen. Oh well, still excited. Unfortunately I'll have to take a day off of work to go on Friday. At least for Otakon, I'll already have Friday off.

Ok, I am planning on going tonight to MAGfest for at least a few hours. I still don't know at what time they open or close, but I should be there around 7PM.

Also, I bought my tickets to PAX East 2011 when they were first announced, but today I finally booked my hotel (from March 11-14). Proximity and comfort over price won out, I'm about 2 miles away from the convention center. Its a little expensive at about $100 a night (in reality, it didn't cost me anything since I used my points, but that's how much it would have cost). I will be driving early Friday and coming back Monday morning. If anyone is going and needs either a ride or a place to sleep, let me know and we can manage and split costs. But in case no one comes, I am at least set to go myself.

If it wasn't for the fact my job works me like a mule around that time I would completely bum a ride and room with you Nightmare, hell i'm still tempted which would just end with me being a zombie all weekend sucking on 5 hour energy .

I might as well mention that I'll be going to Hershey Park in early April with my work, since they are giving away cheap tickets which include parking (last year was $21). Right now I'm going alone, but if I decide to go with someone, I just wanted to mention it in case someone might be interested. Last year, the rides were fun, but the weather SUCKED.

For those attending Katsucon next month Feb 18th-20th, I am looking to reserve a table for the Maid Cafe they are running. We can have up to 5 people. If anyone is interested let me know which day is best, and I'll find a time for us that day. :)

[quote name='G-Nitro']For those attending Katsucon next month Feb 18th-20th, I am looking to reserve a table for the Maid Cafe they are running. We can have up to 5 people. If anyone is interested let me know which day is best, and I'll find a time for us that day. :)[/QUOTE]

Probably Saturday would be best, since I doubt I can attend Friday. I am also bringing my gf, so I would count as two technically.

[quote name='nightmare452']Probably Saturday would be best, since I doubt I can attend Friday. I am also bringing my gf, so I would count as two technically.[/QUOTE]

Alright, so we need two more people. :D

BTW, I'll be reserving for Saturday and I have to pick 3 time slots, and they will give us what is open. I will be making the reservations by tonight before 10pm, so let me know by then. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't be in the reservation for maid cafe, thanks for the offer.

Anyway, I'll be at Katsucon Friday and Saturday. I'll just take off work on Friday since I have way too much paid vacation to use.

[quote name='Indifference']Should I go to Katsucon if I am only interested in gaming and have no interest in anime?[/QUOTE]

Probably not. Katsucon is a smaller anime convention and there isn't much gaming focus. Even the larger Otakon convention in B-More doesn't have a huge gaming focus outside of panels and a small game room.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Anyone been to Wisp before?
http://www.wispresort.com/

I'm thinking of planning a trip there to go snowboarding and participate in other winter activities, stay for a few nights. I'll probably just go by myself, but figured I should ask if anyone went there before.[/QUOTE]

Wisp is awesome. The mountain coaster runs year round. It's a 1-2 person car that you control the speed of yourself. Very cool, so long as you don't get a slowpoke in front of you.

MjC

TMK, to answer your question. Yes I'll be one of the hosts for the Japanese Pro Wrestling panel on Saturday at 10AM.

Also, if anyone else is interested in pro wrestling or had an interest should check out my panel. I'll be honest in that it's the same format from Otakon cause I only found out last week that I will be hosting.

Gotta skip Katsu this year for a funeral. Already emailed them about it but I doubt i'm getting that 50 dollar prereg back since it was after the cut off date for refunds.

Is there going to be a Dave & Busters meet-up at White Flint in the near future (for the Spring time)? Last year we had it before Pax East. I'm curious as to whether we will get the same waitress as last time, haha.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Is there going to be a Dave & Busters meet-up at White Flint in the near future (for the Spring time)? Last year we had it before Pax East. I'm curious as to whether we will get the same waitress as last time, haha.[/QUOTE]

How many CAG meet up at White Flint? I live around that area...

[quote name='The Punisher']How many CAG meet up at White Flint? I live around that area...[/QUOTE]

It varies but around a dozen seems to be the average number.

I'd be interested in a meet soon, but before PAX East isn't going to work for me this year. Maybe a return-from-PAX-East meetup?

MjC

Hello DC area CAGers. I live over in Annapolis. Looking for a few games. If you have Halo:Reach or Uncharted 2 for trade, let me know what you're looking for. My game collection is pretty up to date.

[quote name='mm2barry']Hello DC area CAGers. I live over in Annapolis. Looking for a few games. If you have Halo:Reach or Uncharted 2 for trade, let me know what you're looking for. My game collection is pretty up to date.[/QUOTE]I have Halo Reach. Might consider, but depends what you have.

Ok, so PAX East 2011 is this weekend. Who's going?

Myself, I'm driving Thursday at noon till Connecticut, then staying in a $40+ hotel and then Friday morning, I do a 2 hour drive to the convention. It will be interesting. There a forecast of a lot of rain/melted snow on Thursday for the Northeast, not looking forward to that.

[quote name='nightmare452']Ok, so PAX East 2011 is this weekend. Who's going?

Myself, I'm driving Thursday at noon till Connecticut, then staying in a $40+ hotel and then Friday morning, I do a 2 hour drive to the convention. It will be interesting. There a forecast of a lot of rain/melted snow on Thursday for the Northeast, not looking forward to that.[/QUOTE]

I'll be there friday AM. Flying out of BWI at 6am, so I basically need to get up at 3 to leave by 4 to arrive at the airport by 5. Hopefully I can get to sleep early thursday. See ya there!

MjC

Ok, so when is the next meet-up. I know with PAX East, some of us where busy, but weren't there plans to have the meet-up after PAX?

PS: PAX East was sweet. I got to get somehow get to be considered a member of the Media, I was literally cataloging the entire show anyway, with pictures, video and even interviewing some people (mainly XBLA developers that were on the floor) in a friendly chatter. That and I wanna go to E3.

Glad PAX East was a success. Unfortunately I couldn't go due to a last minute emergency, but I look forward to hearing about it from the people that did go. Except for a couple of Saturdays in April, I'm open to whenever for the next meetup.

Yes, I wanted to know when the next Dave & Busters meet-up will be. I definitely plan to go, just hope it doesn't conflict on any weekend (one weekend my parents plan to visit, but that's it).

Anyone who wants to grab the reigns and steer this ship to a D&B meet (or suggest an alternate location) please feel free. At this point, I don't think there's any leader of this band of merry gamers. Personally, I'm potentially available in April except for the first weekend.

Mana: Is that restaurant with the old arcade games a viable option for a meetup?

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']Anyone who wants to grab the reigns and steer this ship to a D&B meet (or suggest an alternate location) please feel free. At this point, I don't think there's any leader of this band of merry gamers. Personally, I'm potentially available in April except for the first weekend.

Mana: Is that restaurant with the old arcade games a viable option for a meetup?

MjC[/QUOTE]
It's decent, just that some arcade cabinets can be a hit or miss on working (Punch Out was down the last time I was there over a month ago, but could be back up now if I go there next week). The place is kind of old and smells funny, but they have games some good stuff.

Some of those arcade games I saw at Beltway Plaza in Greenbelt, MD (such as The Simpsons games, tons of SNK games, etc.), but that area is VERY shady.

Lastly, I was considering going to Dave & Busters myself one weekend since no one has set it up yet (I'm craving to go). Personally, I feel I'm the ideal person to set this type of stuff up, yet I tend to get to involved with work and forget at times.

I just can't go the 9th of April because of Hershey Park day.

Crazy question, but did I give someone a bunch of Magic The Gathering cards at a meetup within the last year or so? I've been looking around for them and I'd like to stop looking if I know they're gone. Thanks!

MjC

Can someone answer some questions for me regarding these meet ups? What goes on at them? Is it going to be akward for a 34 year old with a kid to go to one? (basically asking if I fit the demographic of attendees). Do you guys prearrange to do trades while you meet up?
I've been in Annapolis for about 10 months now but haven't had much chance to get out and meet anyone because I'm in school full time all the way over in Fairfax and I had been helping out my pregnant wife with everything around the house until she gave birth. Now we're busier with the baby.
Please let me know if it's worth it for me to come out.

Well, I'm not much of a reign-grabber, but the planner in my likes to establish events so I can get my calendar set. From what I've read so far, it looks like April 23rd would be the best day to have a gathering in April. Would that work for everyone? If not, we could do it in May. Personally, outside of Memorial Day I have no obligations that month over the weekends.

As for locations, the selfish SOB in me would prefer the White Flint D&B, but if a bunch of us have an alternative location (e.g. that restaurant), I would be alright with that.

Oh, and mm2barry, IIRC I think some of us have brought kids to this meetup.

I can meet almost any day in April, but I am on the middle of moving to a new home, so my moving day seems to be April 16-23, most likely the 23rd. But I would still find time to meet ya all if its at the White Flint mall so don't let my dates affect any planning.

Meetings aren't weird, I was reluctant to come to them at the beginning, but I'm usually one of the youngest members at the meetings and I'm 27. Mainly we talk games, stuff, and catch up or meet new people. I remember other members bringing kids before, its never an issue.

[quote name='nightmare452']I can meet almost any day in April, but I am on the middle of moving to a new home, so my moving day seems to be April 16-23, most likely the 23rd. But I would still find time to meet ya all if its at the White Flint mall so don't let my dates affect any planning.

Meetings aren't weird, I was reluctant to come to them at the beginning, but I'm usually one of the youngest members at the meetings and I'm 27. Mainly we talk games, stuff, and catch up or meet new people. I remember other members bringing kids before, its never an issue.[/QUOTE]You are barely much younger than me (I'm just 28, but look young oh course).

Lets just say as soon as I saw the meet-up threads (just before I moved to the area), I was planning to go. I have already hung out with the greater majority of CAGs in this thread before.

mm2barry, some have brought their kids with them to meet-ups.

Hi All,

I think I am up for the CAG meetup this time around. Most of April is relatively free (early May I am out of town for a conference), and White Flint D&B is a few minutes from my apartment...

Evil

Alright, so from the previous few posts, I think this plan sounds like it might work

CAG Washington DC Meetup
Level 3 of the mall

11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda, MD 20895-1021
Date & Time: Saturday, April 23rd 2011 @ 2PM - ???

How does that sound? If that works, super. And if someone could inform the Goozex crowd as well, that would be great.

bread's done
Back