Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'm going to miss Borders too. Many memories from the store from buying manga there, textbooks for college at my college location, buying OPM there for a demo disc, etc.

I pretty much cleared Columbia, MD location of everything I want. Annapolis, MD didn't have much special. Columbia Mall location has next to nothing left. Silver Spring, MD was a mess. Springfield, VA had very little even at 20% off. Germantown, MD and Timonium, MD were the two best I went to the last time I was at both.[/QUOTE]

You are prohibited from visiting the Germantown one!! That one is mine, and I am waiting for 80% off to arrive.

On other news, went to PAX Prime and will be making a blog here (on CAG, not on this thread) to give an idea and preview of some games (plus pictures overload). Definitely not missing any more PAX conventions.

[quote name='nightmare452']You are prohibited from visiting the Germantown one!! That one is mine, and I am waiting for 80% off to arrive.

On other news, went to PAX Prime and will be making a blog here (on CAG, not on this thread) to give an idea and preview of some games (plus pictures overload). Definitely not missing any more PAX conventions.[/QUOTE]

That is my store. :)

[quote name='nightmare452']You are prohibited from visiting the Germantown one!! That one is mine, and I am waiting for 80% off to arrive.

On other news, went to PAX Prime and will be making a blog here (on CAG, not on this thread) to give an idea and preview of some games (plus pictures overload). Definitely not missing any more PAX conventions.[/QUOTE]
I will go back there whether you like it or not. ;) I might even go there on my birthday. We can celebrate it if you want. :p

Good seeing you at PAX, nightmare.

Saw and played a lot of good indie / XBLA / Steam prospects. Mass Effect 3 was looking good, too.

[quote name='jmiller80']Good seeing you at PAX, nightmare.

Saw and played a lot of good indie / XBLA / Steam prospects. Mass Effect 3 was looking good, too.[/QUOTE]

Same. Was fun, I got to go again. Definitely already planning PAX East.

The sad thing about manga discounts is that even at 70% off, it still doesn't get down to what I see at yardsales and flea markets ($1 apiece). I dunno though, it might still be worth checking out for some Berserk manga in Timonium.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']The sad thing about manga discounts is that even at 70% off, it still doesn't get down to what I see at yardsales and flea markets ($1 apiece). I dunno though, it might still be worth checking out for some Berserk manga in Timonium.[/QUOTE]I buy manga from rightstuf and Amazon typically. At that deal, they are usually cheaper.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I buy manga from rightstuf and Amazon typically. At that deal, they are usually cheaper.[/QUOTE]

Indeed, online is usually better than retail. Locally there's a comic shop not far from me that charges $15 a pop :drool: and it's like yeah right, used bookstores charge $3-5 for the same manga.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Just to let people know, voting has started. You can vote once a day if you want.[/QUOTE]

You know, I probably wasn't going to vote, but now that you have the CheapyD seal of approval, I will reconsider. :)

On the Borders sale, I had forgotten that there was a store at White Marsh Mall; but due to random chance I checked it out. They still had a small selection of graphic novels and manga at 60% off, but it was mostly crap like Claymore and Tsubasa which I'm not terribly familiar with.

What really surprised me was that their poetry section was non-existent; this isn't exactly something you would expect to be a fast seller.

[quote name='The Great BM']You know, I probably wasn't going to vote, but now that you have the CheapyD seal of approval, I will reconsider. :)[/QUOTE]You should be supporting me anyway because you actually KNOW me in person. :p

Anyway, I went to the following Borders in our area during the 60% off sale on manga:
-Columbia, MD (decent amount left, most organized.....mostly later volumes of stuff left)
-Germantown, MD (Great selection, organization was so-so. Good amount left, but you gotta look hard)
-Silver Spring, MD (their selection wasn't terribly bad, just that NOTHING is organized and you can't find anything)

-Pentagon City, VA (lots of manga left, not organized all that well (better than Silver Spring at least). Could not find much of what I wanted though. Some volume 1 left of anime you don't typically see).
-Springfield, VA (Organized good, but extremely picked over with very little left. Don't bother going there IMO)

Still have up two left to go. I wasted my entire gas tank checking all these stores.:lol:

[quote name='The Mana Knight']
I've probably been to more Target stores than anyone here, going to Ellicott City, Columbia, Glen Burnie South and North, Annapolis, Laurel, Hyattsville, Bowie, Greenbelt, Wheaton, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Germantown, Baltimore (near Modawain Mall), Towson, Cockeysville, White Marsh, Middle River, Westminister, Bel Air, Pikesville, and Abingdon.[/QUOTE]Now add Target in Frederick, MD and Hagerstown, MD to my list. I checked them while out today.

If I remember correctly, the Target in Hagerstown had Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (one copy left) for $7.48. I already have the game though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't posted in this thread for a while, so I'll make a post.

If people hear about our local Six Flags getting a new roller coaster named "Apocalypse" next year, it's just Iron Wolf from Six Flags Great America (in Gurnee, IL) moving there.

[quote name='enemyofusall']Hey Uncharted fans! what's up? I just heard about this and was wondering if any cags were interested in going? I am not 100% sure I will be but it sounds like fun!
[/QUOTE]I'm going to try to be there.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Now add Target in Frederick, MD and Hagerstown, MD to my list. I checked them while out today.

If I remember correctly, the Target in Hagerstown had Tatsunoko vs. Capcom (one copy left) for $7.48. I already have the game though.[/QUOTE]

wow. thats alot of gas going to so many targets

[quote name='enemyofusall']Nice I want to be as well! Keep me posted if you are going Mana![/QUOTE]We are going the 18th, since that's when GenDV138 is going. I'd go the same day for sure. Only thing holding me back now is parents coming to visit me, or job interview/having to move down to VA beach area (IF it all happens).

[quote name='The Punisher']wow. thats alot of gas going to so many targets[/QUOTE]I was coming back from PA

[quote name='The Mana Knight']We are going the 18th, since that's when GenDV138 is going. I'd go the same day for sure. Only thing holding me back now is parents coming to visit me, or job interview/having to move down to VA beach area (IF it all happens).[/QUOTE]

yeah, got my premium pass for the 18th, $60 which includes a copy of the game was a no brainer for me. We'll have to try to all meet up whoever is going.

The Uncharted thing sounds cool, but Tyson's Corner in the middle of the week is impossible.

I remember that Sony did a very similar thing for Uncharted 2, but this time it looks to be more organized.

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']The Uncharted thing sounds cool, but Tyson's Corner in the middle of the week is impossible.

I remember that Sony did a very similar thing for Uncharted 2, but this time it looks to be more organized.

MjC[/QUOTE]Anytime there's a PlayStation related event, I'm willing to take off work for it. This is coming from someone who rarely wants to take even although I have the vacation time.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']All right, I might have to take charge in organizing this. What weekend in October will people be available for a Dave & Buster's meetup at Arundel Mills?[/QUOTE]

I should be free any weekend in October, last weekend might be up in the air for me but doable

[quote name='The Mana Knight']All right, I might have to take charge in organizing this. What weekend in October will people be available for a Dave & Buster's meetup at Arundel Mills?[/QUOTE]

I'm probably good the 3rd weekend in October, which would be the 22nd. Weekend before is the Extra Life Gaming Marathon and the weekend after is Halloween.

MjC

[quote name='MCalvert1']I'm probably good the 3rd weekend in October, which would be the 22nd. Weekend before is the Extra Life Gaming Marathon and the weekend after is Halloween.

MjC[/QUOTE]I'd lean towards the 22nd also because that's when GNitro is off. It may be a few days after the Uncharted 3 event, but that's all right. Only issue I'd have is if parents come to visit me, but since they haven't told me a thing yet, I doubt it's happening.

I want to see when everyone else can make it.

I'm available every weekend except this coming one (8-9Oct). I really want to make it out to a meet-up, and Arundel Mills works so much better then previous locations.
Let me know

[quote name='mm2barry']I'm available every weekend except this coming one (8-9Oct). I really want to make it out to a meet-up, and Arundel Mills works so much better then previous locations.
Let me know[/QUOTE]I was about to tell you about this on Twitter since it takes 20-30 minutes to get to Arundel Mills from Annapolis. Figured it would be easier on you. Easier on me too since I live closer there than to White Flint Mall.

[quote name='MCalvert1']I'm probably good the 3rd weekend in October, which would be the 22nd. Weekend before is the Extra Life Gaming Marathon and the weekend after is Halloween.

MjC[/QUOTE]

^ I would say the same here. Any date you guys pick, I will try and make it.

Last year we had to wait until November to get a meetup together (I think it was the 6th). We could maybe do the same again, but I'll be honest I'm sort of hesitant on that (for a reason I rather not discuss pubic on the net).

I'm going to try to start this up. If it fails, oh well. I feel partially responsible for the Baltimore area meet-up since its my "hood".

Washington D.C. Metro Area Goozex/CAG Meet-up
Date: Saturday, October 22nd, 2011

Time: 2PM - Whenever
7000 Arundel Mills Circle (near Cinemark Egyptian Theater) Hanover , MD 21076 (410) 799-1166
We will meet in the bar near the outside entrance.

Those who plan to attend:
  • Mana Knight (possibly)
  • G-Nitro
  • nightmare452
  • GenDV138
  • MCalvert1
  • The Great BM
  • mm2barry

Eh, the only thing that may hurt me from arranging this event is that I'm scheduling a job interview down in VA on the 21st. It's a 3 1/2 hour drive for me. I should return back in time, but I'll find out soon.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Lol, maybe we should all meet at DuClaw. :p[/QUOTE]

I'd much rather hang out at Duclaw than Dave & Busters. Cheaper beer! Not like we play games anyway

[quote name='G-Nitro']I'd much rather hang out at Duclaw than Dave & Busters. Cheaper beer! Not like we play games anyway[/QUOTE]

I have no objection to that. If anyone want to play D&B games, it's around the corner.

MjC

[quote name='G-Nitro']I'd much rather hang out at Duclaw than Dave & Busters. Cheaper beer! Not like we play games anyway[/QUOTE]
That's what I was thinking, but I don't drink anyway. :p Especially if we have a small group, I think DuClaw works out great. It's not 100% certain I'll be there yet, depending upon if I get back from Hampton Roads VA in time.

I updated the post with this:
Washington D.C. Metro Area Goozex/CAG Meet-up
Date: Saturday, October 22nd, 2011

Time: 2PM - Whenever
7000 Arundel Mills Circle (near Cinemark Egyptian Theater) Hanover , MD 21076 (410) 799-1166
We will meet in the bar near the outside entrance.

Those who plan to attend:
  • Mana Knight (possibly)
  • G-Nitro
  • BigBen
  • GenDV138
  • MCalvert1
  • The Great BM
  • mm2barry
  • indifference

I made it DuClaw. If anyone wants to back out or join, just tell me or post in this thread.

Thanks for e-viting me Mana. I'm going to hire a babysitter and make it out for this one. Other than camaraderie, do we bring games for trade or anything? I don't know what kind of shenanigans when on last year.
If we don't normally trade, here's an open request for Gears of War 3. If you have it and want to trade it, let me know what it's going to take to get it from one of you.
My game collection isn't completely up to date, but it's pretty close. Let me know if there's anything any of you guys are interested in and we'll make something happen.
Looking forward to meeting whoever shows up. Time to be anti-antisocial!

bread's done
Back