Washington D.C. Metro area.

lurknomore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Old post Edited for effect and max. exposure.....

The 5th DC Metro area CAG Meet-up/Game Swap

Dave & Buster's
White Flint Mall - 3rd Floor
11301 Rockville Pike
North Bethesda , MD 20895

3:00 pm onward ...(we have been going 3 hours+)

Saturday, April 26th

who plans to attend-
thebob101
lurknomore
G-Nitro
jmiller80
MCalvert1
cleaver - unless he is drafted in the 1st round
s0undwav3
abhinav- maybe
FlamingMoogles
GenDV138 - maybe

BTW, we have had minors (-18) join us before at D&B without issue. If you are a minor and wish to attend without your own guardian, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone # if you are concerned...and I'll walk you in. Again, it hasn't been an issue yet.

Any CAGers around here? Really disappointed as the scene pales in comparison to Boston's video gaming scene. Any suggestions or local mom and pop shops? The Maryland-Virginia-DC area seems to be pretty weak.

For anyone interested, Indie Game: The Movie is coming to DC's E Street Cinema on April 25. Got my ticket, tickets may go quickly so don't sleep on it too long.

http://igtmwashingtondc.eventbrite.com/

Indie Game: The Movie - The Tour Presented by Adobe®
Presented in association with Washington DC ACM SIGGRAPH, DC Tech Meetup, iStrategyLabs, & The Art of Video Games
at Smithsonian American Art Museum

Washington, DC
E Street Cinema, 555 11th Street Northwest
Wednesday, April 25th, 2012
7pm (Doors Open 30 mins Prior)

[quote name='GenDV138']For anyone interested, Indie Game: The Movie is coming to DC's E Street Cinema on April 25. Got my ticket, tickets may go quickly so don't sleep on it too long.[/QUOTE]

Got mine as well.

Also, I know it wasn't going to be many of you, but were there still people going to PAX East?

[quote name='The Great BM']Got mine as well.

Also, I know it wasn't going to be many of you, but were there still people going to PAX East?[/QUOTE]

I wanted to go, but couldn't plan anything other than "pay for hotel myself and go alone." Its not as much fun without company or anyone to talk to, and too expensive to go by myself. Next year I'll just save and pay for my brother to join me, ends up being more expensive, but it would be more fun I guess.

EDIT: Bought tickets to the Indie Game: The Movie. Good stuff for the wife to see. See ya guys there, I'll probably be early and eat around there if anyone wants to join me.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='nightmare452']
EDIT: Bought tickets to the Indie Game: The Movie. Good stuff for the wife to see. See ya guys there, I'll probably be early and eat around there if anyone wants to join me.[/QUOTE]

I'll be down to join you Erick, I'll probably get to DC early afternoon to walk around the American Art Museum again and avoid the metro rush hour

[quote name='GenDV138']I'll be down to join you Erick, I'll probably get to DC early afternoon to walk around the American Art Museum again and avoid the metro rush hour[/QUOTE]

What time are you guys showing up? I'm going to metro over after work and could be there around 6.

[quote name='The Great BM']What time are you guys showing up? I'm going to metro over after work and could be there around 6.[/QUOTE]

I think a few of us including nightmare and ind1fference are going to get some food near Gallery Place around 5. Doors open at 6:30, I think we should be done around 6 hopefully. If you have any of our numbers, you can contact us when you get there to find each other.

[quote name='The Great BM']Don't know when or where our next meetup will be, but there's currently a Living Social deal going on for the D&B over at White Flint: $40 power card for $20 or a $60 power card for $30

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/1709/deals/304832-40-power-card-to-spend-on-games

The rub is that it has to be used entirely in one visit, and it's gotta be before August of this year.[/QUOTE]
I assume it's too late for this deal.

[quote name='Indifference']http://www.nationalpinballmuseum.org/museum/index.html

EMAIL: [email protected]
PHONE: 443.438.1241

FAX: 202.540.9245
Musuem Address
National Pinball Museum
608 Water Street
Baltimore, MD 21202

When are we going?[/QUOTE]

Let's also make a short trek to Geppi's Entertainment Museum on the same day. It should be a brisk walk.

Head west on Water St toward S Frederick St
About 3 mins

go 0.2 mi
total 0.2 mi

Turn left onto South St
About 1 min

go 236 ft
total 0.2 mi

Turn right onto E Lombard St
About 10 mins

go 0.5 mi
total 0.7 mi

Turn left onto S Howard St
About 3 mins

go 0.2 mi
total 0.8 mi

Turn right onto W Camden St
Destination will be on the left
About 1 min

go 200 ft
total 0.9 mi

Geppi's Entertainment Museum
301 West Camden Street, Baltimore, MD 21201‎ - (410) 625-7060‎

http://www.geppismuseum.com/Home/7/1/52/500

MjC

Marylanders! Are there any local video game stores left? I almost cried when Mega Media Exchange closed. Also, the Pinball Museum is really cool and you can get an hour of play time for $5 if you go before 3pm.

[quote name='vodkablast']Marylanders! Are there any local video game stores left? I almost cried when Mega Media Exchange closed. Also, the Pinball Museum is really cool and you can get an hour of play time for $5 if you go before 3pm.[/QUOTE]

Planet Replay/Mega Media Exchange was pretty awesome for some thing (NES dogbone ftw!) but their prices on used games were sometimes pretty bad. They'll be missed though for sure.

And thanks for the info about the pinball museum! Hopefully we'll do an early afternoon thing when we go!

MjC

Hey everyone! I'm going to be "moving" down to D.C. soon because I'm an incoming freshman at George Washington University. Anyone have any tips about the city in general, be it entertainment, food, or cheap travel (mainly to/from D.C. to either Philly or NYC)?

[quote name='Montymonster']Hey everyone! I'm going to be "moving" down to D.C. soon because I'm an incoming freshman at George Washington University. Anyone have any tips about the city in general, be it entertainment, food, or cheap travel (mainly to/from D.C. to either Philly or NYC)?[/QUOTE]

If you're looking for geek-type events, I found this calendar to be useful for finding stuff. Otherwise, are there any other activities you're looking for?

As for travel, there's always the "chinatown buses". I've use DC2NY in the past, and they've been solid. Otherwise you've got Bolt Bus, Megabus, Vamoose, and others.

[quote name='Montymonster']Hey everyone! I'm going to be "moving" down to D.C. soon because I'm an incoming freshman at George Washington University. Anyone have any tips about the city in general, be it entertainment, food, or cheap travel (mainly to/from D.C. to either Philly or NYC)?[/QUOTE]
I don't have anything as helpful as The Great BM to offer but nevertheless welcome to the DMV :)

Haven't been on this thread in ages. It seems like yesterday that we had the first DC area CAG meetup at D&B. Any of the old members still on this thread? I still see Cleaver and Jon on a regular basis. Hope all is well with everyone.

[quote name='thebob101']Haven't been on this thread in ages. It seems like yesterday that we had the first DC area CAG meetup at D&B. Any of the old members still on this thread? I still see Cleaver and Jon on a regular basis. Hope all is well with everyone.[/QUOTE]

doing well, nice to see you check in Glenn! Are The Vicious Martinis still around? Still occasionally play the CD you gave out at the one meetup way back.

Donnie

[quote name='GenDV138']doing well, nice to see you check in Glenn! Are The Vicious Martinis still around? Still occasionally play the CD you gave out at the one meetup way back.

Donnie[/QUOTE]

Yeah, same here!

MjC

Glad to see you around the forums, Glenn.

-Justin

On an unrelated note, I replaced my PC monitor. If anyone would like to take a beast of a 21" Sony Trinitron CRT of my hands (free, of course), PM me. It goes to whoever can pick it up first (near Falls Church). It is in excellent shape and works great with all the original cables and manuals. There is a limit to how much old electronics I can keep around the house, so this has to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to hear all is well with you guys. I will definitely try to make it to one of the meet ups soon. I have a ton of games and stuff to get rid of. Crazy that we are all old timers now. Seems like yesterday I just joined CAG and was a baby cheap ass.

Donnie, TVM is long dead. The other guys formed a cover band and now play crappy songs from Ne-Yo and Pink. Too bad. I am too busy being a Dad to play, but will soon.

[quote name='thebob101']Nice to hear all is well with you guys. I will definitely try to make it to one of the meet ups soon. I have a ton of games and stuff to get rid of. Crazy that we are all old timers now. Seems like yesterday I just joined CAG and was a baby cheap ass.

Donnie, TVM is long dead. The other guys formed a cover band and now play crappy songs from Ne-Yo and Pink. Too bad. I am too busy being a Dad to play, but will soon.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that. But on the bright side MCalvert, Tiny and I started a podcast. 'Tis pimped in my signature

[quote name='The Great BM']If you're looking for geek-type events, I found this calendar to be useful for finding stuff. Otherwise, are there any other activities you're looking for?

As for travel, there's always the "chinatown buses". I've use DC2NY in the past, and they've been solid. Otherwise you've got Bolt Bus, Megabus, Vamoose, and others.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the information! I don't even know what other activities I'm really looking for, the entire city is basically going to be a new experience for me. Really pumped to be moving down in a couple of months.

[quote name='Montymonster']Thanks for all the information! I don't even know what other activities I'm really looking for, the entire city is basically going to be a new experience for me. Really pumped to be moving down in a couple of months.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I hear ya. For general stuff going on, DCist is pretty good at covering what's happening around town. I think the Post has an events section, as well. There are some others that aren't coming to mind, but that should get you started.

[quote name='Indifference']How does Saturday June 30th work for people for a trip to Bmore to see the Pinball Museum?[/QUOTE]

That'll work for me, checked my work calendar and should be able to get that day off.

[quote name='Indifference']How does Saturday June 30th work for people for a trip to Bmore to see the Pinball Museum?[/QUOTE]

It should work for me. Now to tell the wife not to plan anything that day... wish me luck. :hot:

welcome to the area. links to some events coming up:

http://www.wolftrap.org/Home/Find_Performances_and_Events/Performance/12Filene/0726show12.aspx
http://baltimorecomiccon.com/
http://www.otakon.com/
http://animeusa.org/

and if youre just looking for random events my go to is the Post going out guide

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/?nid=top_gog

I'll be out of town that weekend. Next time.

Speaking of pinball, I got this in the mail:

PinballBlast.jpg

1) Throughout the month of June, listen to 98 Rock for your chance to win a pair of lawn tickets to Def Leppard & Poison on July 10 and be entered into the 1st Qualifying Round of the pinball tournament.

2) On July 10, contestants will take part in the 1st Qualifying Round at Def Leppard & Poison. Four finalists will win pavilion tickets for Scorpions on July 12 and move on to the Championship Round.

3) On July 12, the Championship Round will take place at Scorpions. The winner receives an AC/DC pinball machine!

It is too bad that I don't go to Merriweather Post Pavilion. I had a bad experience on the lawn there years ago and refuse to ever go back.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Speaking of pinball, I got this in the mail:

PinballBlast.jpg

1) Throughout the month of June, listen to 98 Rock for your chance to win a pair of lawn tickets to Def Leppard & Poison on July 10 and be entered into the 1st Qualifying Round of the pinball tournament.

2) On July 10, contestants will take part in the 1st Qualifying Round at Def Leppard & Poison. Four finalists will win pavilion tickets for Scorpions on July 12 and move on to the Championship Round.

3) On July 12, the Championship Round will take place at Scorpions. The winner receives an AC/DC pinball machine!

It is too bad that I don't go to Merriweather Post Pavilion. I had a bad experience on the lawn there years ago and refuse to ever go back.
[/QUOTE]

The band I was in during the mid 90's that was signed to Universal Records opened for the Scorpions. Nice guys. My guitar and bass player followed them around like puppies trying to get them to sign their albums (yes, albums, I am that old, lol). Love the Blackout CD.

The only pinball game I played at length was Silverball. Great machine. It was at a couple of arcades I hung out in when I was growing up in Silver Spring. The old days of the arcades were very cool. Space Invaders, Galaga, Centipede, Asteroids, etc. Spent way too many quarters in those old machines. Too bad they (arcades) aren't around anymore. I really don't like D&B, doesn't have the old school feel.

[quote name='Indifference']Looks like I'll be at BitGen on the 30th. Who's with me?.................Bueller?[/QUOTE]

I'll be out of town, but if anyone wants to join me at Too Many Games near Philly on the 15th/16th let me know. I'm undecided on going up friday night or saturday morning, but if a known person wants to split a room friday night I can book one for $90 for a few more days.

MjC

Are any of you guys interested in the Killzone 3 swag from the Helghast Ed? I want to sell this stuff, but its would be hella expensive to ship.

I don't know about those buses (never traveled on any of them), but I hear folks recommend them from time to time. I usually take the train from here to Philly...but I know the definition of "cheap" is a different thing for a college freshman :D.

Good Lord - what is there not to do around here? Tips? Try freaking everything - all of the different cuisines, museums, art festivals, concerts, etc. Visit the older areas, like Old Town Alexandria, where there is tons to do. Check out the off-beat (and often free) museums and sites.

If you take the Chinatown buses to Philly or NYC, stick with the name brands like BoltBus - the others are fly-by-nights with unqualified drivers, buses in poor repair, etc.. and are always being chased by the TSA. Keep an eye on flight discount sites, you can sometimes find great round trip deals to NYC for the weekend.

[quote name='delainez']Good Lord - what is there not to do around here? Tips? Try freaking everything - all of the different cuisines, museums, art festivals, concerts, etc. Visit the older areas, like Old Town Alexandria, where there is tons to do. Check out the off-beat (and often free) museums and sites.

If you take the Chinatown buses to Philly or NYC, stick with the name brands like BoltBus - the others are fly-by-nights with unqualified drivers, buses in poor repair, etc.. and are always being chased by the TSA. Keep an eye on flight discount sites, you can sometimes find great round trip deals to NYC for the weekend.[/QUOTE]
The Metro can take you everywhere... Also since your a gamer check out the Smithsonian Art Museum it happens to have an exhibit on video game art. All the Smithsonians are free as well so if you are a nerd at all it is heaven. With DC they have way too many decent restaurants to name them all (it is best to ask what is your favorite food).
Whenever you go anywhere though check and see if Man vs Food has a show on it and if they do you GOTTA eat at those places though. The chili place is the best meal I have personally had in DC.
If you like baseball check out a nationals game those are always good and not that bad of a price same with the capitals.
As for the bus companies to use another is Megabus the bus has free wifi for the ride.
DC is normally good on having a lot of music bands but avoid Verizon Center it is just too big (unless you enjoy that kinda show).
I tried to include some links to help you out. That is all I can think up off the top of my head.

Games:
Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (360) $8.99;
Lego Star Wars III (360) $8.99;
Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7 (360) $19.99;
and others (DS, PC).

There were many copies of the named games as of the date of this post.

Location: Lego Store, Tysons Corner Center (back right corner of store near the floor)

bread's done
Back