Watchmen: Ult. Cut [Blu-ray] $30.99 (has been $32.99, $34.99, 39.99, $41.99 & $47.99)

Thanks but I think I will pass. I already have the Directors cut and don't feel the need to drop 40+ on a even longer film despite enjoying it.

I have been holding off on this just because of this set. I read about this coming out the day I was going to go buy the movie at best buy. However for that price I might hold out even longer for it to come down or some sort of buy 1 get 1.

Disc 1:
* Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut Film (rated R), weaving together the "Tales of the Black Freighter" with the "Watchmen: Director's Cut". 215 minutes
* Audio Commentary with Zack Snyder and Dave Gibbons

Disc 2:
* The Phenomenon: The Comic That Changed Comics
* Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes
* Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World
* Watchmen: Video Journals
* My Chemical Romance Desolation Row
* Under the Hood (rated PG)
* Story Within a Story: The Books of Watchmen

Disc 3:
* Digital Copy of the Theatrical Version. (The drawback: no Blu-ray version of the theatrical release. But I didn't take a star off for this.)

Disc 4:
* Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comics (this is split across two discs on the non-Blu-ray edition) 325 minutes

Blu-ray exclusive: Connect to Facebook through BD-Live. The content is not rated except where noted.

"Blu-ray exclusive: Connect to Facebook through BD-Live. The content is not rated except where noted." Really? Is this where we are going with Special Features now?

i knew this was coming out, they anounced all the editions the same day. i was waiting for this, however i think i will wait for the price to be 25-30$ before i plunk down on this set.

This is what Ive been waiting for. Been hard to not drop the money on the recent PS3/directors cut bundle, but its been worth the wait for the black freighter being in the movie like its supposed to. And the digital comic and under the hood are great add ons too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shrike4242']If you register on the Watchmen site on the Warner Brothers site, you're supposed to get a $10 off coupon emailed to you at some point after December 1st:

http://www.thehdroom.com/news/First_Watchmen_Ultimate_Collectors_Edition_Blu-ray_Details/5198[/QUOTE]

I had a friend who picked up the Director's Cut and he said there was a coupon in it for the Ultimate Cut. Maybe you can check around with your buddies to see if they'll hook you up.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']I had a friend who picked up the Director's Cut and he said there was a coupon in it for the Ultimate Cut. Maybe you can check around with your buddies to see if they'll hook you up.[/QUOTE]Oh, I have a copy of the Director's Cut, though I was posting that out there for the people that didn't buy the Director's Cut because they didn't want to double-dip.

I'll go through it and check for the coupon, since $31.99 for the UE is well worth it, IMO, especially with what they were selling the Motion Comic and the TOTBF discs for separately.

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']I had a friend who picked up the Director's Cut and he said there was a coupon in it for the Ultimate Cut. Maybe you can check around with your buddies to see if they'll hook you up.[/QUOTE]

Actually it's just an insert that tells you to go to that site so you can register for the coupon.

[quote name='fieldkillah']Actually it's just an insert that tells you to go to that site so you can register for the coupon.[/QUOTE]Good to know.

Though, the coupon says it'll be released after December 1st, though Amazon is showing Nov 9th as the release date for it.

Thing is, Amazon does drop the price a bit before it releases, usually to match other vendors like DD or WM. Hopefully, we won't miss out on the pre-release pricing and the coupon will be out before the release date.

[quote name='fieldkillah']Actually it's just an insert that tells you to go to that site so you can register for the coupon.[/QUOTE]

Good to know. Now I'm not going to bug him to give it to me.

Cool I have not had a chance to pick the movie let alone see it when it was in the theater so this should be the best version to get.

[quote name='Shimrra']Cool I have not had a chance to pick the movie let alone see it when it was in the theater so this should be the best version to get.[/QUOTE]

I think that may be debatable depending on whether or not you're a fan of the grapic novel (I read it yearly). In the GN, TOTBF storyline was integrated into the main Watchmen storyline.

I was always waiting for the UE but for some reason, I'm waffling. I enjoyed the theater version and haven't seen the DC. I'm probably going to wait to see the reviews on the UE before I decide. By then, I'm sure the DC will be cheap if I decide the UE isn't for me.

Oh yeah, one more thing: that cover art sucks ass.

[quote name='bob330i']I think that may be debatable depending on whether or not you're a fan of the grapic novel (I read it yearly). In the GN, TOTBF storyline was integrated into the main Watchmen storyline.

I was always waiting for the UE but for some reason, I'm waffling. I enjoyed the theater version and haven't seen the DC. I'm probably going to wait to see the reviews on the UE before I decide. By then, I'm sure the DC will be cheap if I decide the UE isn't for me.

Oh yeah, one more thing: that cover art sucks ass.[/QUOTE]

Unless you were a huge fan of the Black Freighter sequences in the graphic novel, I'd say skip this and pick up the director's cut. And yes, that cover art does indeed suck ass.

You could like totally automatically update your status that you are watching hot steamy owl sex and all your friends can be jealous.

LOL, I could see this being the case much like Uncharted's automatic tweet feature

I was waiting for this edition and I'm really glad it's not going to be released as close to Christmas as I expected it to be.

All I know is I'm keeping my facebook info far away from the "integration" they propose.

Fired off emails to Contact Us at WBShop.com and the Feedback link on the main WarnerBrothers.com page, asking about clarification on the coupon.

Here's what WBShop.com sent back:

[quote name='WBShop.com response']Hello Shrike4242,

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to use the $10 off coupon at a different retail store. The coupon will be sent via email and will only be valid forwww.wbshop.com.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

Cayci
www.WBshop.com
1-866-373-4389

[quote name='Email to WBShop.com']Contact Us Form Submission - Other Inquiries

Email Address: [email protected]

Order Number:

Description: To whom it may concern,

I have just recently signed up on the Watchmen website for WB Insider Rewards, at the following URL: http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/rewards . This link was inside the BluRay copy of the Director's Cut of Watchmen I had purchased, and it mentions a $10 coupon towards the purchase of the Ultimate Collector's Edition of Watchmen on BluRay. It also mentions that the $10 coupon will be available on December 1st, though Amazon.com has posted a link for the UCE of Watchmen on BR as November 9th, 2009. Amazon's product page for the UCE is at the following URL: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002IYEQR4/ . I wanted to know if the coupon would be made available in advance of the release of the UCE of Watchmen on BR, and if it would also be a coupon code that can be used on Amazon.com, as that would be my preferred vendor to purchase the UCE. I look forward to your response of this inquiry.[/quote][/quote]

I did send an email to the Feedback link on the WB.com website, though we'll see if the answer they have is any different.

In the meantime, I'll go pre-order it and make sure I'm covered.

Thanks for the detective work Shrike. Preordered this as well. I'm hoping AMZ will drop the price some, which as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, is fairly standard.

[quote name='Vader582']Thanks for the detective work Shrike. Preordered this as well. I'm hoping AMZ will drop the price some, which as mentioned elsewhere in the thread, is fairly standard.[/QUOTE]I'm expecting that any email back from WB itself (not WBShop) will say the same thing, and if so, then I'm covered with the pre-order I just put in for it.

Since I have Prime, I'm supposed to be getting it on release day, which it now says is Tuesday, 11/03/09.

Hopefully, Amazon, Walmart, Buy.com and DeepDiscount.com all get in their usual posturing contest about the price of an item for release and we save a few bucks from $41.99, like they did with the non-UCE version of Watchmen.

Don't think it's that bad of a price with all that's included. Hell what'd I pay; $30 bluray, $5 black freighter steelbook dvd, $5 motion comic dvd.

[quote name='sendme']Well after reading on HDD.com that they are only going to make 70,000 I preordered it.[/QUOTE]

Does the 70,000 count blu ray and dvd? So it would maybe be like 35000 DVDs and 35000 blu rays? That would be insane

[quote name='exRounder']BTW, the amazon page now lists it for $47.99.[/QUOTE]Updated the OP with the price change.

Guess it was good not to wait on it and save $6 in the process.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Does the 70,000 count blu ray and dvd? So it would maybe be like 35000 DVDs and 35000 blu rays? That would be insane[/QUOTE]

I believe this limited cut will be Blu-Ray only. Correct me if I'm wrong.

shrike so u can use coupon at WBSHOP.com when it comes and do they still have codes you can also use to like FREE Shipping and 35% off something like that

[quote name='starmask2k3']shrike so u can use coupon at WBSHOP.com when it comes and do they still have codes you can also use to like FREE Shipping and 35% off something like that[/QUOTE]Damned if I know.

The WBShop.com reply I received said that the code is only usable on the WBshop.com site, though I've not had any response from anyone at WB.com specifically.

Assuming coupons can stack like the previous fiasco from a month ago, then yes, it should stack with other coupons. In theory.

[quote name='SoulReaver']sooo I guess they cut out Maximum Movie Mode. That sucks, heard it was good[/QUOTE]

Where did you hear it was scrapped? This was the first I heard of it so I looked it up here.

At first I was thinking how annoying it would be, but by the end I was already sucked in. Maybe it was just the movie.

This is just the thing I've been waiting for. Should I pre-order? Or should I wait for the price to drop / goodies to be thrown at me?

[quote name='Seasick Pirate']Where did you hear it was scrapped? This was the first I heard of it so I looked it up here.

At first I was thinking how annoying it would be, but by the end I was already sucked in. Maybe it was just the movie.[/QUOTE]
I heard on some forums it was scrapped. Plus, it isn't mentioned anywhere in the description of the Ultimate Cut.

Is this usual for Amazon? Seems like the wouldn't put a price until they were confident in it.

Seems like I got back on the fence with this one. I didn't get any of the previous release in anticipation of this cut (expecting it to be closer to $50). Now that it's coming around and I see all the extra bells and whistles included, I'm thinking realistically about if I'll ever watch everything else, an if it's even worth it.

eh, what the heck…

Watchmen: The Ultimate Cut Film (rated R), weaving together the "Tales of the Black Freighter" with the "Watchmen: Director's Cut". 215 minutes

Does that mean that you can't just watch the movies straight through? (like black frieghter separate and watchmen separate? I want to watch each, then both, then each :p

bread's done
Back