What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='Rocko']Yeah, I'm liking it. I'm glad to be rid of the constant flashbacks of The Gunslinger. I've got to get to the book store and pick up the third book soon.[/quote]

I'm thinking you won't like the fourth book then...
the majority of the book is a flashback and there are more to come...

I am reading "The Wolves of the Calla", the Fifth installment of the Dark Towers.

Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 by Hunter Thompson for the 458th time.

I dig his writing but sweet jesus his fans are irritating.

Just finished The Diamond Age and it felt like a complete trudge through the whole thing. I loved Cryptonomican and Snow Crash, but this was a grind.

I'm now reading both a biography on Theodore Roosevelt and the new A. Lee Martinez novel.

[quote name='cletus']I've still got a giant pile of books waiting for me after this too. A few years ago I found out the Goodwill close to me sells books for $0.75 each and I may have went a little crazy buying them. Now I have a backlog of books as well as games and anime. Once I finish this I think I'll read either The Spy Who Came in From the Cold or All the President's Men. If anyone wants to suggest one or the other feel free.[/QUOTE]

Check around your local thrifts. One near me does a 'Bag of books' sale once a month where you fill up a brown paper grocery bag with as many books as will fit for $5. I've also seen church book sales that do something similar on the final day.

I get my yearly supply of books in Hershey PA. The library has a major sale and almost every book (including brand new hard backs) are $3 or less.

[quote name='Liquid 2']How is that?

I've had my eye on it.[/quote]

I am still relatively early into the book (its 390 pages), I have actually just gotten to the start of the plot of the main story, but from what I have read so far I am enjoying it. Stross does a great job at describing the future and his protagonist has a very interesting way of life, to say the least.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Re-reading Ender's Game. Card wrote two more books recently fleshing out the story and my old man said they were worth checking out.[/quote]

Ender's Game is one of my all time favorite novels.

finished Zero Cool. Writing was great but the story wasn't all that hot. One of the weaker Hard Case releases.

started to re-read some stories in this
51ZsTF3axcL.jpg

if you have any interest in the hard boiled pulps, though this will throw you into the deep end, its a great starting point. Awesome collection and the best bang for the buck ($25 for over 1000 pages of short stories and a couple novels)

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Re-reading Ender's Game. Card wrote two more books recently fleshing out the story and my old man said they were worth checking out.[/quote]

Hmmm, depends on which books your old man was referring to. Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide, & Children of the Mind deal directly w/ what happened to Ender but it's... philosophical in nature. It really doesn't capture the 'spirit' of Ender's Game. If you want more stuff similar to the military & political intrigue of Ender's Game, you should pick up the 'spiritual' sequels - Ender's Shadow, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant & the soon-to-be-released Shadows in Flight.

[quote name='jaykrue']Hmmm, depends on which books your old man was referring to. Speaker of the Dead, Xenocide, & Children of the Mind deal directly w/ what happened to Ender but it's... philosophical in nature. It really doesn't capture the 'spirit' of Ender's Game. If you want more stuff similar to the military & political intrigue of Ender's Game, you should pick up the 'spiritual' sequels - Ender's Shadow, Shadow Puppets, Shadow of the Giant & the soon-to-be-released Shadows in Flight.[/QUOTE]

I tried reading Speaker for the Dead after loving Ender's Game and I couldn't get through it. I'm talking about Ender's Shadow, Shadow Puppets, etc.

[quote name='fart_bubble']finished Zero Cool. Writing was great but the story wasn't all that hot. One of the weaker Hard Case releases.

51ZsTF3axcL.jpg

if you have any interest in the hard boiled pulps, though this will throw you into the deep end, its a great starting point. Awesome collection and the best bang for the buck ($25 for over 1000 pages of short stories and a couple novels)[/quote]

Goddamned I love me som pulp, What authors does it have?...I just bought some of Black Lizards Cornell Woolrich collection and cant wait till they arrive.

[quote name='joe2187']Goddamned I love me som pulp, What authors does it have?...I just bought some of Black Lizards Cornell Woolrich collection and cant wait till they arrive.[/QUOTE]

Black Lizard is a great imprint. I actually just completed my collection of (non-BL) Woolrich.

Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Origins of the Urban Crisis by Thomas J Sugrue

Myths of Empire by Jack Snyder

[quote name='joe2187']Goddamned I love me som pulp, What authors does it have?...I just bought some of Black Lizards Cornell Woolrich collection and cant wait till they arrive.[/QUOTE]

sorry I didn't answer you sooner, first time being in the thread since I posted last.

Its got the standards: Hammett, Chandler, Woolrich, Erie Stanley Gardner
But a lot of names I haven't heard of before (though I honestly just got into the crime pulp so thats to be expected. I've always been more into the horror and sci-fi pulps) that blew me away: Fredrick Nebel, Norbert Davis, Raoul Gruber, D.B McCandless, Carlos Martinez, Stewert Sterling

got this yesterday in the mail from Hard Case:
cover_big.jpg

but I think I'm gonna finally dig into my copy of The Fever Kill by Pic
51mZ4LmlPqL._AA240_.jpg

can't wait for Max Allan Collins' The First Quarry to come out in October. And then there is of course Charles Ardai's Fifty-To-One which sounds really cool.

if you guys are into Crime Fiction, here is a really nice board that Tom Piccirilli runs and some great authors who stop by (like Max Allan Collins talking about Mickey Spillane)

http://messageboardofthedamned.yuku.com/forums/1

Finished reading Dark Tower: Gunslinger about a month ago. I was inspired by the comic book that got released a while ago.

I love the Western/Fantasy theme. Roland is a very interesting character. Gonna start reading "Drawing of the Three" in a few days.

Since it seems that a lot of people here are reading it, how would I like the Dark Tower series if I despise Stephen King? I like some of the movies based on his non-horror work, but the rest of it sucks shit.

Also, Solipsist may be my new favorite book. So damn good. Reads like a book of Pig Destroyer lyrics.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Since it seems that a lot of people here are reading it, how would I like the Dark Tower series if I despise Stephen King? I like some of the movies based on his non-horror work, but the rest of it sucks shit.

Also, Solipsist may be my new favorite book. So damn good. Reads like a book of Pig Destroyer lyrics.[/QUOTE]

I despise Stephen King and I liked the series quite a bit.

Plowing through a few things right now...

For school: The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip K Dick

For fun: The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, The Black Dahlia by James Elroy, and one of my all time favorites Heart of Darkness and Other Tales by Joseph Conrad.

Just picked up a couple of Ayn Rand novels (The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged) this week in an eBay auction for another book I wanted. I'm not too familiar with them but the description for Atlas Shrugged sounded good.

[quote name='SpitFire158']about to read For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway[/quote]
I just finished reading that and loved it.

Just finished: The Adventures of Hukleberry Finn by Tom Sawyer and to the say the least, it's not very good.

About to read: This is not a book
and
The Snows of Kilimanjaro by Ernest Hemingway

Alot of you are reading some real good stuff!

Right now I am reading Bringing Down The House, the book the upcoming movie 21 is based off of.

[quote name='fart_bubble']finished Zero Cool. Writing was great but the story wasn't all that hot. One of the weaker Hard Case releases.

51ZsTF3axcL.jpg

if you have any interest in the hard boiled pulps, though this will throw you into the deep end, its a great starting point. Awesome collection and the best bang for the buck ($25 for over 1000 pages of short stories and a couple novels)[/quote]

That's cool, but wouldn't it be better to read the classic pulps first - you know, Dashiell Hammett, Lovecraft, etc. Amazon sells a fantastic collection of Lovecraft's work for $25
http://www.amazon.com/H-P-Lovecraft...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206198319&sr=8-1

[quote name='Chris S']Just picked up a couple of Ayn Rand novels (The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged) this week in an eBay auction for another book I wanted. I'm not too familiar with them but the description for Atlas Shrugged sounded good.[/QUOTE]Atlas Shrugged is one of my favorite books. The last 50 pages were a bit off, but it's still fantastic.
Let me know what you think!

[quote name='Autumn Star']I just finished reading that and loved it.

Just finished: The Adventures of Hukleberry Finn by Tom Sawyer and to the say the least, it's not very good.

About to read: This is not a book
and
The Snows of Kilimanjaro by Ernest Hemingway[/QUOTE]

Huck Finn had the worst ending of any book that I have ever read.

[quote name='camoor']That's cool, but wouldn't it be better to read the classic pulps first - you know, Dashiell Hammett, Lovecraft, etc. Amazon sells a fantastic collection of Lovecraft's work for $25
http://www.amazon.com/H-P-Lovecraft...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206198319&sr=8-1[/QUOTE]

The reason I said it would be a good starting point is because it runs the gamut on the genre conventions (be it guy in the wrong place, rough stories, dame driven, bad guy doing bad things) so its a bit easier actually get to know what you dig rather than one long book. Gives ya a bit of everything so you;re bound to come across something you like. Don't me wrong though, Chandler, Block and Hammett's best work is the long fiction but I honestly never been a fan of suggesting novels for any genre to start off with.

Lovecraft is a different breed than what I was talking about (which I am a huge fan of), I was talking about crime pulp and not the Weird Tales

^ I gotta get that. World War Z was great. It's silly fun but the guy really has put thought into just about every aspect of if a zombie outbreak was real.

I'm currently writing my own, but its on hold until after I move. Too busy and a little stressed because my husband is a procrastinator when it comes to the finer points of moving. Like looking for a place before the deadline to leave this apartment.

A zombie book. I'm basing it on my fears and the nightmares I constantly have. I may be an avid fan of the genre but ever since I became a mother I've had horrible nightmares nearly every night. lol So I decided to put them to good use.

[quote name='Autumn Star']Just finished: The Adventures of Hukleberry Finn by Tom Sawyer and to the say the least, it's not very good[/quote]

Don't you mean Mark Twain, since Tom Sawyer is a fictional character?

Just got this in the mail over an hour ago...Sweet. it'll be interesting to see how Bradbury one of my favorite Sci-fi writers takes on Noir fiction.

0380789655.jpg

I hate to pimp shit but someone I know is running a special evilBay auction to raise money to pay taxes this year. Winning bidder gets to tell him which political books to burn, a video of said burning, the books that you didn't have burned and a special inscribed copy of his new book, Ravenous, that comes out on April 1st from Leisure. I think its a pretty cool auction from Mr. Garton

http://cgi.ebay.com/POLITICAL-BOOK-...goryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I am trying to finish Abstract Wild by Jack Turner. It's rough going, Turner is just a wee bit off. For fun I am working my way through the Flashman Papers for a third time. It's such a fun series.

I'm loving the show John Adams so I'm thinking I'm gonna bump 1776 up in my reading rotation. As a matter of fact I think I'll do it immediately and put away Ishmael.

Just finished I Am Legend. Pretty decent, but the ending was lame. There were some cool short stories at the end of the book, too. I'm anxious to see the movie now.

bread's done
Back