What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='Maklershed']I'm loving the show John Adams so I'm thinking I'm gonna bump 1776 up in my reading rotation. As a matter of fact I think I'll do it immediately and put away Ishmael.[/QUOTE]

You'll be pretty disappointed in 1776 if you're looking for info on Adams in 1776. Pick up McCollough's book on him for a bio on Adams.

[quote name='munch']You'll be pretty disappointed in 1776 if you're looking for info on Adams in 1776. Pick up McCollough's book on him for a bio on Adams.[/quote]

No, I know 1776 is about Washington. That's what intrigued me .. he's a character so to speak on "John Adams" and now I want to know more about his story. Stuff you dont read about as a kid in history class.

[quote name='Maklershed']No, I know 1776 is about Washington. That's what intrigued me .. he's a character so to speak on "John Adams" and now I want to know more about his story. Stuff you dont read about as a kid in history class.[/QUOTE]

I should have mentioned, too, that 1776 isn't all that great. You can tell that it's a hastily put together book that really doesn't say much about the American Revolution.

[quote name='shieryda']Just finished I Am Legend. Pretty decent, but the ending was lame. There were some cool short stories at the end of the book, too. I'm anxious to see the movie now.[/quote]

LoL - when I read that story I read right through the ending and I didn't realize at first that the short stories were different. I was like - WTF with the knives when did the vamps get telekinesis powers.

[quote name='camoor']LoL - when I read that story I read right through the ending and I didn't realize at first that the short stories were different. I was like - WTF with the knives when did the vamps get telekinesis powers.[/quote]

I did that myself. As I was reading I thought to myself, "Why are vamipres at a carnival?" :lol:

I finished up World War Z a few weeks ago, and now I'm considering The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, since I've always wanted to read it.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I did that myself. As I was reading I thought to myself, "Why are vamipres at a carnival?" :lol:

I finished up World War Z a few weeks ago, and now I'm considering The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, since I've always wanted to read it.[/QUOTE]

Prepared to be shocked, it's very different from the movie.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Prepared to be shocked, it's very different from the movie.[/quote]

I anticipated that, which is the reason I'm interested in wanted to read it.

If possible I'd like to track down and read the first 14 Oz books by the original author.

[quote name='Purple Flames']I anticipated that, which is the reason I'm interested in wanted to read it.

If possible I'd like to track down and read the first 14 Oz books by the original author.[/QUOTE]

There are two really nice leather bound editions that have all the books in them that sell for fairly cheaply, I think around $20 each.

[quote name='munch']I should have mentioned, too, that 1776 isn't all that great. You can tell that it's a hastily put together book that really doesn't say much about the American Revolution.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed 1776 and am looking forward to reading John Adams later on this year. I was wondering too if Truman any good? I don't typically hear anyone talk about that book when discussing McCullough's work?

c2dd9330dca000285c101010._AA240_.L.jpg

friend of mine told me to check this guy out, said he was one of the more under-rated writers during the splatterpunk movement. Today I found quite a few books of his at the used book store.

After finishing up The Zombie Survival Guide and World War Z, both by Max Brooks, I'm now reading The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama.

~HotShotX

I got Hoop Dreams at my library and I decided to stop reading You Shall Know Our Velocity! and start it. I'm about half way through it and I'm loving it.

Finished up Solipsist last night (great fucking read), and decided that the time isn't right for Only Revolutions or Naked Lunch, so I picked up Snow Crash instead.

I commute alot so I "read"/listen to books on tape. They go REALLY FAST.

Now I am in the middle of The Fountainhead, (abridged) by Ayn Rand....Yes, Bioshock did make me interested in Rand initially. Before this I listened to/read The Art of War by Sun Tzu.

I am actually READing my third Dan Brown book, Deception Point, I also read The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, and I think the last was my favorite of the three and foresee it staying that way.

Before that I read Crime and Punishment, by Dostoyevsky. Before that was A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens, and before that was all three Lord of the Rings books. To this day that was probably my favorite read, Tolkein rocks.

For those interested in military history: Flags of Our Fathers by James Bradley (son of one of the flagraisers), and House to House: Playing the Enemy's Game in Saigon, May 1968 by William Nolan.

Uhm. Banewreaker by Jacqueline Carey. It's a little too emo/goth for my tastes, but the charachertization is good. Nice to read a fantasy novel w/o a clear cut distinction between the hero and villan.

I finished Tides of Darkness by Aaron Rosenberg yesterday and started The Well of Eternity(the first book in the War of the Ancients Trilogy) by Richard Knaak. Tides of Darkness was really good and I hope it's a good sign of how well the other Warcraft novels are.

last star wars book for a long time! Ive read every sw book except the new force stuff. Im on survivors quest now. 40 star wars books in a row. Im star wars burnt out now. SQ is pretty good though.

Im thinking the newest halo or even mass effect at this point?

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']last star wars book for a long time! Ive read every sw book except the new force stuff. Im on survivors quest now. 40 star wars books in a row. Im star wars burnt out now. SQ is pretty good though.

Im thinking the newest halo or even mass effect at this point?[/quote]

I'm not a fan of sci-fi books but I really liked the Mass Effect book. I'm anxious for the sequel which I understand isn't too far away.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Just finished Watchmen by Alan Moore, currently reading The Dark Knight by Frank Miller. I'll probably read Cat's Cradle by Palahniuk after that.[/QUOTE]

Palahniuk? Don't you mean Vonnegut? Haha.

Six Bad Things by Charlie Huston
Never Enough: The Store of The Cure by Jeff Apter

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I'm currently about 100 pages into You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers. I really liked his writing in A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius so I decided to read more from him.[/quote]

Heartbreaking Work is one of my all-time faves. How is Velocity?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Only Revolutions, by Mark Z Danielewski[/quote]

Got it for Xmas but haven't read it yet...House of Leaves messed with my head, so I'm a little intimidated by this. Are you enjoying it?

[quote name='bmachine']Got it for Xmas but haven't read it yet...House of Leaves messed with my head, so I'm a little intimidated by this. Are you enjoying it?[/quote]

I had to stop, as it was a hard read. It's an epic poem, told by two people, of the same story. You're supposed to read 8 pages in one direction, then eight more in the other, back and forth through all 360 pages. Not very easy to do.

Other than books for class, I am currently reading PHENOMENOLOGY OF SPIRIT by Hegel for recreation. So far, I am lucky to do a section a day, more like a half.

[quote name='Chacrana']Finally went back to Count of Monte Cristo this week... I was on page 896 on Monday, and now I'm on page 1069.[/quote]

By Dumas? I dont remember it having anywhere close to that many pages. Do you have a super large print book?

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']last star wars book for a long time! Ive read every sw book except the new force stuff. Im on survivors quest now. 40 star wars books in a row. Im star wars burnt out now. SQ is pretty good though.

Bleh, skip that stuff and just jump to the Star Wars Legacy era books. Survivor's Quest is pretty near the beginning of the Yuuzhan Invasion era books and about half of them are good, one fourth are mediocre and the rest pure crap. The Legacy era happens when Luke & Mara's son & Han & Leia's kids are all young adults and full/near-full jedi.

I finished Tides of Darkness by Aaron Rosenberg yesterday and started The Well of Eternity(the first book in the War of the Ancients Trilogy) by Richard Knaak. Tides of Darkness was really good and I hope it's a good sign of how well the other Warcraft novels are.

last star wars book for a long time! Ive read every sw book except the new force stuff. Im on survivors quest now. 40 star wars books in a row. Im star wars burnt out now. SQ is pretty good though.

Im thinking the newest halo or even mass effect at this point?

I'm not a fan of sci-fi books but I really liked the Mass Effect book. I'm anxious for the sequel which I understand isn't too far away.

[quote name='JohnnyFoxDarko']Just finished Watchmen by Alan Moore, currently reading The Dark Knight by Frank Miller. I'll probably read Cat's Cradle by Palahniuk after that.[/QUOTE]

Palahniuk? Don't you mean Vonnegut? Haha.

Six Bad Things by Charlie Huston
Never Enough: The Store of The Cure by Jeff Apter

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I'm currently about 100 pages into You Shall Know Our Velocity! by Dave Eggers. I really liked his writing in A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius so I decided to read more from him.[/quote]

Heartbreaking Work is one of my all-time faves. How is Velocity?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Only Revolutions, by Mark Z Danielewski[/quote]

Got it for Xmas but haven't read it yet...House of Leaves messed with my head, so I'm a little intimidated by this. Are you enjoying it?

[quote name='bmachine']Got it for Xmas but haven't read it yet...House of Leaves messed with my head, so I'm a little intimidated by this. Are you enjoying it?[/quote]

I had to stop, as it was a hard read. It's an epic poem, told by two people, of the same story. You're supposed to read 8 pages in one direction, then eight more in the other, back and forth through all 360 pages. Not very easy to do.

Other than books for class, I am currently reading PHENOMENOLOGY OF SPIRIT by Hegel for recreation. So far, I am lucky to do a section a day, more like a half.

[quote name='Chacrana']Finally went back to Count of Monte Cristo this week... I was on page 896 on Monday, and now I'm on page 1069.[/quote]

By Dumas? I dont remember it having anywhere close to that many pages. Do you have a super large print book?

Bleh, skip that stuff and just jump to the Star Wars Legacy era books. Survivor's Quest is pretty near the beginning of the Yuuzhan Invasion era books and about half of them are good, one fourth are mediocre and the rest pure crap. The Legacy era happens when Luke & Mara's son & Han & Leia's kids are all young adults and full/near-full jedi.

Finished Elantris, which was amazing! I just bought LotR even through I already read two Towers, I'm gonna start from beginning to end.

[quote name='Maklershed']By Dumas? I dont remember it having anywhere close to that many pages. Do you have a super large print book?[/QUOTE]

Naw, man. The problem is just that everyone reads the abridged version which is like 500-600 pages. The real deal is a 1300 page onslaught of small print.

And yes, by Dumas.

[quote name='Chacrana']Naw, man. The problem is just that everyone reads the abridged version which is like 500-600 pages. The real deal is a 1300 page onslaught of small print.

And yes, by Dumas.[/quote]

Really? I never knew that. I guess I read the abridged version. :cry:

[quote name='bmachine']Heartbreaking Work is one of my all-time faves. How is Velocity?[/quote]
I was liking it for a while but then I got bored by it. Hoop Dreams came in through my library and I started reading it and couldn't put it down. I love that book. Now that I'm done with it and on spring break I might try to go back to You Shall Know Our Velocity!.

bread's done
Back