What are you currently reading? Post here!

Reading the Golden Compass right now. I really enjoyed the movie, but so far the book is so-so. I was under the impression that the book would be much deeper than the film, but so far, not really. We'll see as the rest of the triology kicks in.

Finished Elantris, which was amazing! I just bought LotR even through I already read two Towers, I'm gonna start from beginning to end.

[quote name='Maklershed']By Dumas? I dont remember it having anywhere close to that many pages. Do you have a super large print book?[/QUOTE]

Naw, man. The problem is just that everyone reads the abridged version which is like 500-600 pages. The real deal is a 1300 page onslaught of small print.

And yes, by Dumas.

[quote name='Chacrana']Naw, man. The problem is just that everyone reads the abridged version which is like 500-600 pages. The real deal is a 1300 page onslaught of small print.

And yes, by Dumas.[/quote]

Really? I never knew that. I guess I read the abridged version. :cry:

[quote name='bmachine']Heartbreaking Work is one of my all-time faves. How is Velocity?[/quote]
I was liking it for a while but then I got bored by it. Hoop Dreams came in through my library and I started reading it and couldn't put it down. I love that book. Now that I'm done with it and on spring break I might try to go back to You Shall Know Our Velocity!.

Reading the Golden Compass right now. I really enjoyed the movie, but so far the book is so-so. I was under the impression that the book would be much deeper than the film, but so far, not really. We'll see as the rest of the triology kicks in.

Halfway through Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind (Book 8). Not enjoying it as much as previous books, a lot of repeating and retelling of what happened in past books, and heavy emphasis on the philosophy. But I really want to get through the entire series, as I've enjoyed the overall story. Books 1-4 were probably the best.

Where The Chill Waits is fucking awesome. Though its a hard one to track down and if you do it will cost you about $15 for a used copy, if you have any interest in Native American folklore and/or more specifically the Windigo legend, READ THIS. One of the few books that has ever really scared me. Top notch and worth the praise it gets.

Picked up my copy of Ravenous by Ray Garton tonight. Haven't started it yet but thats the one I'm tackling next.

here is an abridged version of the review from Publishers Weekly

A serial rapist is on the loose in the sleepy California town of Big Rock, and sheriff Farrell Hurley's secretary is the latest victim. When a self-proclaimed werewolf hunter named Daniel Fargo comes into town claiming that Big Rock has an infestation of the creatures, Hurley thinks the man is insane, until the eviscerated corpses and attacks by large animals start in earnest. For Garton, lycanthropy is an STD, spread mostly through rape, that runs rampant through a small town fraught with affairs and intrigues. His werewolf is a terrifying creature: not a remorseful, helpless cursed human but a homicidal beast driven by a dual urge to breed and feed. Hurley is a sheriff to root for, and Garton's well-paced horror novel reworks the werewolf myth to great effect.

[quote name='fart_bubble'] A serial rapist is on the loose in the sleepy California town of Big Rock, and sheriff Farrell Hurley's secretary is the latest victim. When a self-proclaimed werewolf hunter named Daniel Fargo comes into town claiming that Big Rock has an infestation of the creatures, Hurley thinks the man is insane, until the eviscerated corpses and attacks by large animals start in earnest. For Garton, lycanthropy is an STD, spread mostly through rape, that runs rampant through a small town fraught with affairs and intrigues. His werewolf is a terrifying creature: not a remorseful, helpless cursed human but a homicidal beast driven by a dual urge to breed and feed. Hurley is a sheriff to root for, and Garton's well-paced horror novel reworks the werewolf myth to great effect. [/quote]
This sounds like it could be a good read.

I'm sloshing through Bearing an Hour Glass by Piers Anthony. It's an okay book, but the main character is a wiener.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']This sounds like it could be a good read.[/QUOTE]

except for the Good Burger novelization (and he's gonna kill me for bringing that up), anything Garton writes is a good read

The Ultimate History of Video games. Really good read so far. Its amazing how far the industry has come since the Atari days.

Guilty pleasure stuff here, The Cardinal of the Kremlin by Tom Clancy. Gonna finally read Frank Herbert's Dune once I'm done with this one.

Moscow 1941 by Rodric Braithewaite

It's taking me longer to finish than it should because of school. I can't stop reading stuff about the Eastern Front.

I need to stop Speed-reading books.

One i just picked up. Its listed on TIME magazine's 100 novels of all-TIME

b014d250fca0718617d75010.L.jpg

Summary:

In the 1930s one Mexican state has outlawed the Church, naming it a source of greed and debauchery. The priests have been rounded up and shot by firing squad--save one, the whisky priest. On the run, and in a blur of alcohol and fear, this outlaw meets a dentist, a banana farmer, and a village woman he knew six years earlier. For a while, he is accompanied by a toothless man--whom he refers to as his Judas and does his best to ditch. Always, an adamant lieutenant is only a few hours behind, determined to liberate his country from the evils of the church.

On the verge of reaching a safer region, the whisky priest is repeatedly held back by his vocation, even though he no longer feels fit to perform his rites: "When he was gone it would be as if God in all this space between the sea and the mountains ceased to exist. Wasn't it his duty to stay, even if they despised him, even if they were murdered for his sake? even if they were corrupted by his example?"

As his sins and dangers increase, the broken priest comes to confront the nature of piety and love. Still, when he is granted a reprieve, he feels himself sliding into the old arrogance, slipping it on like the black gloves he used to wear. Greene has drawn this man--and all he encounters--vividly and viscerally.

[quote name='fart_bubble']except for the Good Burger novelization (and he's gonna kill me for bringing that up), anything Garton writes is a good read[/quote]
Haha, what!? That's so awesome.

whats the mass effect book like? Is it a before story like the halo book? or a recreation of the game story line. I don't want to start reading that if its going to mess with the game. I just started playing.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']whats the mass effect book like? Is it a before story like the halo book? or a recreation of the game story line. I don't want to start reading that if its going to mess with the game. I just started playing.[/quote]

Takes place before the events in the game. I havent played ME yet so I dont know how involved the story in the book is to the game.

Just bought Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson, so I am re-reading all of the Malazan Books of the Fallen. Finished Gardens of the Moon yesterday and I am now halfway through Deadhouse Gates.
I noticed that no one has posted anything about this series yet, but if you are interested in epic fantasy, you need to pick these books up. This is probably the best epic fantasy being written right now. I am a fan of both Goodkind and Jordan, but Erikson's books are much better.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Haha, what!? That's so awesome.[/QUOTE]

He wrote the Good Burger movie novelization....its kinda a sore subject with him. Don't know why, though the schedule is always insane, its pretty good money.

But for his regular work, he deserved his HWA Master Of Horror Award and frankly my favorite author from the splatterpunk movement. I really haven't read a bad from him (sure some are just merely okay but nothing that made me feel like that I wasted my time)

whats the mass effect book like? Is it a before story like the halo book? or a recreation of the game story line. I don't want to start reading that if its going to mess with the game. I just started playing.

[quote name='Mr_hockey66']whats the mass effect book like? Is it a before story like the halo book? or a recreation of the game story line. I don't want to start reading that if its going to mess with the game. I just started playing.[/quote]

Takes place before the events in the game. I havent played ME yet so I dont know how involved the story in the book is to the game.

Just bought Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson, so I am re-reading all of the Malazan Books of the Fallen. Finished Gardens of the Moon yesterday and I am now halfway through Deadhouse Gates.
I noticed that no one has posted anything about this series yet, but if you are interested in epic fantasy, you need to pick these books up. This is probably the best epic fantasy being written right now. I am a fan of both Goodkind and Jordan, but Erikson's books are much better.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Haha, what!? That's so awesome.[/QUOTE]

He wrote the Good Burger movie novelization....its kinda a sore subject with him. Don't know why, though the schedule is always insane, its pretty good money.

But for his regular work, he deserved his HWA Master Of Horror Award and frankly my favorite author from the splatterpunk movement. I really haven't read a bad from him (sure some are just merely okay but nothing that made me feel like that I wasted my time)

[quote name='ian1418']The Mass Effect book details some back story on events between two of the main NPCs of the game.[/QUOTE]

Anyone have the mass effect book that they are willing to part with? Pm me.

I've just finished both of Scott Smith's two novels: A Simple Plan and The Ruins.

They were both fantastic; if you're a fan of either horror or suspense I definitely recommend you check them out.

Every member of this site seems to have a massive game backlog (I know I do), how many of you have a book backlog? I know i have a massive backlog of unread books and just like with games, I find myself returning to ones i've read and enjoyed before rather than reading new ones i haven't read. For example i picked up all of the New Jedi Order Star Wars books, but I've only read half of them and can't seem to get back into them. Meanwhile, in the time since I've bought them i have re-read the Malazan Books of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, the Elenium by David Eddings, the Paladin of Shadows series by John Ringo, the Legacy of the Aldenata by John Ringo, the Belisarius books by David Drake and Eric Flint, and probably some others that I'm forgetting.

[quote name='ian1418']Every member of this site seems to have a massive game backlog (I know I do), how many of you have a book backlog? I know i have a massive backlog of unread books and just like with games, I find myself returning to ones i've read and enjoyed before rather than reading new ones i haven't read. For example i picked up all of the New Jedi Order Star Wars books, but I've only read half of them and can't seem to get back into them. Meanwhile, in the time since I've bought them i have re-read the Malazan Books of the Fallen by Steven Erikson, the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, the Elenium by David Eddings, the Paladin of Shadows series by John Ringo, the Legacy of the Aldenata by John Ringo, the Belisarius books by David Drake and Eric Flint, and probably some others that I'm forgetting.[/quote]

I have a huge book backlog. More than my nonexistent gaming backlog. The next book I'll queue from my book backlog is Hugh Laurie's critically-adored "The Gun Seller." It has been waiting to be read for a while.

My book backlog just keeps getting larger. I went into Barnes and Nobles the other day
and picked up three more books because they were hardcovers forpaperback prices. With games i can pass up a cheap price, but with books i can't. The books were Phantom by Terry Goodkind, Sister Time by John Ringo and Julie Cochrane, and a new one by Glen Cook.

Has anyone heard anything new about the HBO series based on The Game of Thrones by George R.R. MArtin? I read a press release about it a while ago, but haven't heard anything new.

[quote name='ian1418']Has anyone heard anything new about the HBO series based on The Game of Thrones by George R.R. MArtin? I read a press release about it a while ago, but haven't heard anything new.[/quote]

I await it like how people wait for Grand Theft Auto 4 and waited for Halo 3.

Small blurb about it, "It was announced January, 2007 that HBO Productions has purchased the broadcast rights for the entire A Song of Ice and Fire series, with the author also serving as co-executive producer on the project. The plan calls for each book from the series to be filmed over an entire season's worth of episodes. Production will take place in Europe or New Zealand and Martin is reported to have agreed to script one episode per season. Further details are expected to be announced soon."

I love Georgie. He's one of my real-life idols. :grouphug:

I agree about not being able to wait for this series. I hope it didn't get canned because of the writers strike or pushed back because of Martin's slow pace in finishing each book. Have you ssen seen the new samples he has put up on his website?

Forever by Pete Hamill

I have a pretty massive reading backlog. My parents usually buy me everything on my Amazon Wishlist for Christmas...I still have unread books from two Christmases ago!

[quote name='Short Round']I've just finished both of Scott Smith's two novels: A Simple Plan and The Ruins.
They were both fantastic; if you're a fan of either horror or suspense I definitely recommend you check them out.[/quote]

Seconded. The guy is a master...I just wish he would write more often.

bread's done
Back