What are you currently reading? Post here!

Ship of Fools, A Canticle for Liebowitz, The World Made By Hand, A Game of Thrones, The Help, The Testament, Cold Mountain, Thirteen Moons, A Thousand Splendid Suns, Pirate Latitudes, The Postman, World War Z, Parable of the Sower, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Rum Diaries. I have more if you're interested. Those have been my favorites that jump to my mind.

[quote name='seanr1221']Ok CAG readers, I need some suggestions.

I was never a reader in high school or college, but now I want to get into it.

I have The Road, Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter and P&P and zombies to read through, but I want more. I'm more of a fiction person, so suggest away please![/QUOTE]

I just finished The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. If you like mysteries/detective stories and historical fiction at all I'd highly recommend it to you.:)

Now I'm starting Dostoevsky's the Brothers Karamazov. It's pretty rambling and rather didactic at times, but I'm digging it.

Grabbed The Help and A Game of Thrones.

Between those two and the ones I have I should be set for a little. Then I'll check out the other ones you suggested. Thanks, Mak!

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Kinda like The Divine Comedy. It started with the good stuff, and then it was all downhill (er...uphill?) from there.[/QUOTE]

Haha, precisely. I've actually never read the two after Inferno for that very reason. I feel like I should out of a sense of duty though.:lol:

[quote name='seanr1221']Grabbed The Help and A Game of Thrones.

Between those two and the ones I have I should be set for a little. Then I'll check out the other ones you suggested. Thanks, Mak![/QUOTE]

Both very different stylistically but great books. I loved them.

Word of warning on A Game of Thrones - the first 100 pages or so are a little difficult because Martin throws out a ton of names and locations and expects you to know them but once you DO have all the names/places memorized the story is phenomenal.

Five Little Piggies by Agatha Christie. I have got to understand it better. It's kind of hard to read since it's all dialogue. Then again detective work needs keen observation skills.

Reading the 'Belgariad' series by David Eddings. It is more or less the standard swords and sorcery fare, but he writes really good characters and it's a pretty light read. I'm liking it a lot more than I expected. I have never read Eddings before and it seems like he has a lot of series. Anyone else a fan?

Barnes and Noble has a hardback collection of all of H.P. Lovecraft's works for around $10. I picked it up about a month ago.

Game of Thrones fans might dig George's "Dunk & Egg" short stories. There's three of them as of now. They're part of the "Warriors" multi-author anthologies though, but George plans on collecting them all into a single book when he finishes them. They're worth it for hardcore fans, the plots take place way before the novels' timeline. Basically a glimpse of what it was like when the Targaryens still ruled Westeros.

The first two (Hedge Knight and The Sworn Sword) have been converted to graphic novel format too. They're quite nice, great for collectors. I got my brother the first one for Christmas a few years ago and read it before I wrapped it, lol.

Finally finished A Voyage to Arturus. That was a bit tough to read, mostly thanks to the language. Now it's on to Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane, so I can actually watch the movie.

I just finished re-reading Monster Hunter International by Larry Corriea and the Looking Glass books by John Ringo and Travis Taylor. I finally finished reading The Crusades: A Short History by Johnathan Riley-Smith. I just started A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century by Barbara Tuchman.

Finished Until I Find You by John Irving last night. Really enjoyed it, third book I've read of his (Cider House Rules, Hotel New Hampshire) and I've loved all of them so I'll seek out more of his work to read in the future for sure.

Almost finished with 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Read most of it on the flights to and back from Stockholm last week. Enjoying it, but seems that it's going to be pretty anti-climatic ending wise (I'm at the short stories at the end).

Read Child 44 and started the Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith, they are both murder mystery/thrillers set in Soviet Russia.

Gripping and informative if a little formulaic.

I couldn't think of a Yakov Smirnoff joke.

Just finished "The Devil's Home on Leave" by Derek Raymond. Great read if a little hard dealing with all the british slang. He was a grass. He did bird.

[quote name='GhostShark']Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I'm really digging this book and I'm only about 80 pages in.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. I couldn't make it that far. I think it's because of Goodkind's pretentious writing style. Similar to Terry Brooks, who wrote excellent stories (even if his first one was a blatant, blatant, BLATANT ripoff of Lord of the Rings) but the last half of his books try too hard with the writing. I just can't take Goodkind seriously after looking at his Lol-worthy jacket photos.

Keep in mind though, I tried reading Goodkind AFTER having read George R.R. Martin's books (first four). Who pretty much spoils readers to the point where it's hard to appreciate anything else in the genre. Kinda like being a fan of The Wire and someone trying to get you interested in The Shield. Where the latter is still good, but the former is just 10x better and taints the enjoyment value of the latter.

[quote name='dmaul1114']
Almost finished with 'Salem's Lot by Stephen King. Read most of it on the flights to and back from Stockholm last week. Enjoying it, but seems that it's going to be pretty anti-climatic ending wise (I'm at the short stories at the end).[/QUOTE]

Admittedly, the ending is similar to Needful Things. It's anti-climactic but sinister at the same time. Kinda like Needful Things, which had an almost identical ending.

The Greatest Generation.

On Wizards 1st Rule and goodkind. I liked the 1st 2 books but he does indeed get Pretentious after that.

Just finished A Clash of Kings. Phenomenal book. I'm gonna take a break now though and read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo before my mom has to give it back. I heard good things but I have my doubts.

Ahh I know I can't wait. I'm prob gonna be distracted the whole time I read this other book, wishing I was reading A Storm of Swords.

EDIT: BTW, whenever I picture a character in my mind they're of my own imagination except for two people who I've based on celebrities ....

Tyrion Lannister = Toby Jones

MV5BMTgwMzc5NzM1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzA0ODk0._V1._SX284_SY400_.jpg
arts-graphics-2007_1181219a.jpg

Catelyn Stark = Lena Headey

lena-headey.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchb3rry']
Admittedly, the ending is similar to Needful Things. It's anti-climactic but sinister at the same time. Kinda like Needful Things, which had an almost identical ending.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my main gripe is that Barlow never really got fleshed out and was disposed of way to easily. Especially after the prior scene between him and Father Callahan.

Still enjoyed the book, just didn't love it. I think King's just not my bag as I've read 10-12 of his books (though to be fair 7 were the Dark Tower series) and just haven't been blown away by any of them.

Next up I"m going to re-read some Tolkien, first The Silmarillion, then The Children of Hurin, then on to the Hobbit and LOTR. Have been itching to re-read it since getting a hardcover, illustrated 3 volume edition of LOTR for my birthday last year.

[quote name='Maklershed']
EDIT: BTW, whenever I picture a character in my mind they're of my own imagination except for two people who I've based on celebrities ....

Catelyn Stark = Lena Headey

lena-headey.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Actually, Lena Headey will be playing Cersei Lannister in the HBO series. So you're going to be confused watching it on TV, lol.

Just finished Xenocide by Orson Scott Card (Ender series book) and started The Road. I picked up the paperback at a garage sale for 25 cents so I figured I'd give it a quick read before I watch the movie, pretty good so far but I'm only about 75 pages in.

Finished Skyfall by Catherine Asaro. 10th book in the series published but first chronologically, so it wa my first "Skolian Empire" book. Not half bad.

Finished Stephen King's The Stand.

Just starting up Hyperion by Dan Simmons. In the mood for some quality sci-fi.

I want to get started on A Storm of Swords but I don't want to go through ASOIF too quickly.

Finished Shutter Island. Was good, but had a lot of shit I saw coming miles away. Luckily had enough I didn't to be satisfying though. Now it's on to This Immortal by Roger Zelazny. fuck yea old school sci-fi.

Hodor cast in Game Of Thrones!

Kristian-Nairn-Hodor61.jpg

Kristian Naird

HODOR!

EDIT: Grand Maester Pycelle cast too.

000af5d7-227x300.jpg

Roy Dotrice

Everybody else, so far: http://winter-is-coming.net/cast-crew/

It seems the character of Shae has been turned into "Ros." That marks the first real liberty that HBO has taken as a departure from George's story. The name has been changed and she appears much earlier in the story (the pilot, to be exact).

Teaser trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MophfvUlfI

Very short, only thing of note is
Ned executing Gared while Theon watches.

That cast list is looking good. Sean Bean is perfect as Ned, same with the choice for Jaime, Tyrion, Robb and Drogo. The only one that I'm not crazy about is the dude playing Theon. Appearance wise, he doesn't seem to fit based on Martin's descriptions in the books.

I'm excited as hell about the HBO series. Although, any Ice and Fire news not related to Dance With Dragons being finished does come with a slight tinge of disappointment.

That cast list is looking good. Sean Bean is perfect as Ned, same with the choice for Jaime, Tyrion, Robb and Drogo. The only one that I'm not crazy about is the dude playing Theon. Appearance wise, he doesn't seem to fit based on Martin's descriptions in the books.

I'm excited as hell about the HBO series. Although, any Ice and Fire news not related to Dance With Dragons being finished does come with a slight tinge of disappointment.

Reading The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett. Can't say I really like it so far.

Anyone have suggestions for some good sci-fi/fantasy? I tend to like more recent authors like Brandon Sanderson and Scott Lynch, if that helps.

Already read the Song of Ice and Fire series (or what there is of it, still convinced he's gonna pull a Robert Jordan) and loved 'em.

I'll look into those other ones though, thanks!

Currently reading "Forest Mage" by Robin Hobb. Second book in the Soldier's Son triology. Never been disapointed by anyting she has written.

[quote name='celegus']Already read the Song of Ice and Fire series (or what there is of it, still convinced he's gonna pull a Robert Jordan) and loved 'em.
[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking his books now being on a timeline (as in: he's got probably 4-5 years to finish the last two books, assuming Dance really is damn near finished) he will have to put his other stuff on the back burner. Granted, him being on a timeline will probably create a lot of stress as well.

From what I gather, the only cause for the delays was the clusterfuck of his editors saying Feast For Crows would be so big the book would literally fall apart, so he had to bust them up into two books slightly smaller than usual, and then write them accounting for the others events (in regards to avoiding accidental spoilers, pacing, etc.)

Yeah, I don't think it's a matter of him hurting for material. His last update a few days ago said he was getting closer, and he said that he moved a few chapters out of Dance With Dragons and into the sixth book.

I think ADWD will be out within the next year, possibly even the next 6 months.

Just finished Shadowmarch, by Tad Williams. It's no Song of Ice and Fire, but I definitely enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next one. Plus, it'll be nice to actually be able to read a series straight through to its conclusion. Anybody read any of his other stuff?

[quote name='elpolloestupendo']Just finished Shadowmarch, by Tad Williams. It's no Song of Ice and Fire, but I definitely enjoyed it and am looking forward to the next one. Plus, it'll be nice to actually be able to read a series straight through to its conclusion. Anybody read any of his other stuff?[/QUOTE]

I started reading The Dragonbone Chair but got distracted with something else and have neglected to go back to it. I guess that was about a year ago. I should probably look into starting it again.

bread's done
Back