What are you currently reading? Post here!

Just finished reading the first of The Spiderwick Chronicles books. A friend gave me a huge stack of books a few weeks ago, and I grabbed this for something light and amusing. I dashed through the little 100 page novel, enjoying the characters and situations, but it dismays me that such a book which seems geared towards older kids is far too short. I know that the Harry Potter novels are pretty gargantuan in the world of children's books, but this little 100 page thing is quite a joke.

As much as I'd like to know what happens next, I'm not buying the entire set for such a short little adventure.

spiderwickchronicles01.jpg

^ Where The Wild Things Are, or The Giving Tree (most depressing kids book ever!) are really short books but and far more revered.

The Giving Tree is quite sad, but that's more a picture book with very little text. Isn't Where the Wild Things are similar?

Disliked that movie. So friggin depressing.

Isn't that kid from the WTWTA movie the kid in this remake?

EDIT: Nevermind, it's the kid from The Road. I see Hit-Girl is in it. Maybe I'll give it a shot. That kid is awesome.

I think i remember liking Naked Empire and disliking Pillars of Creation.. or the other way around.

haven't read much since I'm back home and I spend most of my time packing, but before I left I was reading a few series.. looking at the list they fall into pretty much two categories. Vampire chick books and teenage spy boy books.

Vampire Academy - which is pretty good (Book 3)
Blood Coven - which is TERRIBLE (book 4? my sister keeps making me get them)

Alex Rider (last was Ark Angel)
CHERUB (book 3)

boy child spy books I like. I have no idea why I'm reading so many vampire books.

Just got the new Steven Hawking book, The Grand Design. Although, I can't start yet, as I still have to finish 'The Greatest Show on Earth' by Dawkins and 'Atom' by Lawrence Krauss.

Just finished The Sailor On The Seas Of Fate, now it's on to The Diamond Age or, A Young Lady's Illustrated Primer by Neal Stephenson. Comes highly recommended to me by one of my English professors.

I just downloaded Have a Little Faith by Mitch Albom. I've loved all of his other books and have waited on this one. I'm going to start it tomorrow.

Finished the second book in "Winds of the Forelands". Amazing how much of this book you could skim and skip over. Think I'll start something by Brandon Stephenon next.

I finished a few Film/Photography theory books for Uni, but I'll be starting Prince Of Thieves by Chuck Hogan, which has been turned into the upcoming Film 'The Town'.

Just finished reading The Warrior Heir. Although I went into it with low expectations, it was more interesting than I thought. I was looking at buying the other two books in the series, then I realized my library carries both. I'll go pick up the next book, The Wizard Heir, tomorrow.

The+Warrior+Heir+by+Cinda+Williams+Chima.jpg

[quote name='Wolfkin']if it's fiction.. I think i'm interested. i'm a sucker for cool book titles.[/QUOTE]

It is. Reviews of the book are pretty favorable. I don't think I'll love the series so much that I'll buy all the books and re-read them every few years, but it's an entertaining read with a lot of good characters. Conflicts between wizarding and warrior classes are generally good. :D

[quote name='Fjordson']Just caught that today, totally by chance as I was passing the living room. Looks fucking awesome!

Was really cool to GRRM on there also.[/QUOTE]

I'm kinda glad Tamzin Merchant dropped out and this new girl came in. Merchant had her moments in the last season of The Tudors (like Natalie Dormer: primarily when her head was set to roll), but I don't think she could have pulled off this character. Although I'm bummed the first choice for Catelyn dropped out. Cersei looks nothing like I envisioned. Lena Headey is hot as fuck, but they downplayed her looks it seems, which is stupid because Cersei is supposed to be the hottest piece of ass in Westeros.

Right now - Star Wars Old Republic- Fatal Alliance

I have only read a smattering here and there of Star Wars books So Not really sure how this one stacks up

i was thinking of picking up the hunger games trilogy as a gift for a 20 something avid reader. good buy or no? i know the books are aimed at young adult, but ive heard good things from people my age as well.

[quote name='Wolfkin']I think i remember liking Naked Empire and disliking Pillars of Creation.. or the other way around.
[/QUOTE]

pillars of creation was definitely the worst in the series. naked empire was a nice rebound though and actually is one of my favorites in the series (top 5).

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i was thinking of picking up the hunger games trilogy as a gift for a 20 something avid reader. good buy or no? i know the books are aimed at young adult, but ive heard good things from people my age as well.[/QUOTE]

I'm 30 (almost 31 :cold:) and I really dug the first book. It's nothing too deep but its entertaining. Kinda reminded me of the movie No Escape but with 16 year olds.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i was thinking of picking up the hunger games trilogy as a gift for a 20 something avid reader. good buy or no? i know the books are aimed at young adult, but ive heard good things from people my age as well.[/QUOTE]

I don't read enough to be a critic, but I was hooked. They are great!

I'm really surprised I'm enjoying this that much. I wanted to read something by Brandon Sanderson because tvtropes somewhat recommended his 'strict rules of magic'. But when I saw te cover at the library i was hesitant.
Hmmm, princess girl, rainbow, breath?? But it's a really good read, fast reading too. I should be done with it by friday if work stays slow.

[quote name='Wolfkin']i need to leave this thread.. i don't have time to read all these books :trapped:[/QUOTE]

Er, you're not supposed to read all the books the thread covers.

Now, if you discover a mountain of books you would like to read, that's when it becomes a tad overwhelming.

Finished Ford County by John Grisham. I am a big fan of his, and was interested in this book, but I will say he cannot write a short story at all. Each story feels like it is just barely starting and it is over. I know short stories are a different animal that novels, but these ones just don't seem to hit their mark.

Was considering starting Cujo by King next while I wait for the wife to finish The Girl who played with Fire, but I may take a break, I have been reading a book constantly for over a year now, starting to get burned out a bit.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I'm kinda glad Tamzin Merchant dropped out and this new girl came in. Merchant had her moments in the last season of The Tudors (like Natalie Dormer: primarily when her head was set to roll), but I don't think she could have pulled off this character. Although I'm bummed the first choice for Catelyn dropped out. Cersei looks nothing like I envisioned. Lena Headey is hot as fuck, but they downplayed her looks it seems, which is stupid because Cersei is supposed to be the hottest piece of ass in Westeros.[/QUOTE]
Haha, yeah, you're right about Lena Headey. Who was the first choice for Catelyn?
---

1645_400x600_medium.jpg

Just started this series, about to finish volume 1 (pictured above). Already have the next two volumes on order from Amazon. It's great so far. Lots of funny, sharp dialogue and nasty violence :lol:

[quote name='Pavel6969']Was considering starting Cujo by King next while I wait for the wife to finish The Girl who played with Fire, but I may take a break, I have been reading a book constantly for over a year now, starting to get burned out a bit.[/QUOTE]

Cujo is pretty good. I recall frantically reading, wanting to know everyone's fate at the end.

[quote name='Fjordson']Haha, yeah, you're right about Lena Headey. Who was the first choice for Catelyn?
[/QUOTE]

Jennifer Ehle

jennifer+ehle+alpha+male.jpg

I liked her better. She had to drop out because she was having a baby or something like that. Not digging the new choice much.

[quote name='Fjordson']Haha, yeah, you're right about Lena Headey. Who was the first choice for Catelyn?
---

1645_400x600_medium.jpg

Just started this series, about to finish volume 1 (pictured above). Already have the next two volumes on order from Amazon. It's great so far. Lots of funny, sharp dialogue and nasty violence :lol:[/QUOTE]

Preacher is fucking amazing. Garth Ennis at his finest.

a lot of these books do sound interesting though.

Preacher was pretty good. I remember it took me forever to find the penultimate volume.

Finished The Wizard Heir last night. I actually enjoyed it more than the first book in the series, The Warrior Heir. I found the character and situations of the main character in The Wizard Heir far more interesting. Being trapped in a school for wizards (not a happy, Harry Potter land) was very exciting.

The local library is transferring in the next and final book of the series, The Dragon Heir.

41CS2visUEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest last night. As a whole, I really enjoyed the trilogy. After a slow start in the first one, it's a real page turner. Great characters, some good twists etc.

The last book is the weakest of the 3 though IMO. A bit anti-climatic and predictable. It's also a tad longer, and largely because of a pointless sub plot that has nothing to do with the main story.
Berger going to work at the Newspaper, the scandal with her boss, and the situation with her Stalker were just completely pointless and uninteresting. Especially since both were resolved so quickly and anti-climatically.

But as a whole, the series is relatively worthy of it's hype/praise, and I highly recommend it to any one who likes thrillers. If I had to try to compare it to other work, I'd probably says it's a mix of John Grisham, Dan Brown and some spy thriller writer. Not great literature by any means, but very entertaining reads.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='crunchb3rry']Lena Headey is hot as fuck, but they downplayed her looks it seems, which is stupid because Cersei is supposed to be the hottest piece of ass in Westeros.[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Brienne.

[quote name='Anexanhume']I think you mean Brienne.[/QUOTE]

Dude, if they got Robin Weigert (who was Calamity Jane on Deadwood) to play Brienne, I'd shit a brick of happiness.

I'm looking for a book or a series that has some good large scale battle or tactics in it. I'm a sucker for looking at maps and following troop movement. It could be fantasy, historical, or historical fiction.

Finished Predictably Irrational pretty interesting book. Loads of experiments and tests to show how we make some irrational decisions. For an example we drive 15minutes to save 5$ on a 17$ bundle of pens, but how we wont go the same distance to save 5$ on a 500$ suit. Pretty enjoyable overall. Dan Ariely has a new book 'The Upside of Irrationality' probably gonna check that out eventually.

Next on the list is the onslaught of Automotive Engineering books that I need to get through for the competition. First up... Race Car Aerodynamics - Joseph Katz

[quote name='Maklershed']Wasn't Brienne the butchy knight girl? Cause wouldn't Robin Weigert be a little old for that? :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah she was. I got a little annoyed in the last book how Martin needed to remind us that the maid of tarth (?) was plain, ugly, etc etc. Still kept reading and hoping that Jamie might have slept with her though.

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Which is part of a pretty epic series called "A Song of Ice and Fire." Highly recommended.

Also, highly recommended is The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. It looks cheesy and sounds cliche, but after reading this I was pretty blown away and most of my preconceived notions were destroyed. Didn't really like his newest book though.

Also the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins was pretty legit. My girlfriend and I read this one. Its YA scifi and kind of girly, however its also brutal and violent and raises quite a few issues. Similar to Battle Royale...in a less violent way. Battle Royale is also recommended.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I'm looking for a book or a series that has some good large scale battle or tactics in it. I'm a sucker for looking at maps and following troop movement. It could be fantasy, historical, or historical fiction.[/QUOTE]

Bernard Cornwell

lots of series, im partial to the saxon series, but theres others. the style is very similar for all his books, so pick one and give it a shot and then see how much you want to read of his.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I'm looking for a book or a series that has some good large scale battle or tactics in it. I'm a sucker for looking at maps and following troop movement. It could be fantasy, historical, or historical fiction.[/QUOTE]
how bout the riftwar saga. I think that was Feist? I can't remember if it was big on tactics or just big on political intrigue.

Lord of Chaos (Robert Jordan; Wheel of Time series) had some great a battles but I'm not sure it was the most tactical stuff out there.

bread's done
Back