What do you guys do to get through hard times?

SuxoR

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'm just wondering what everyone does to just keep going when things seem bad. I'm not doing so well since schools started I don't have money for books and neither does my mom, my dads away and we can't help him, my family is disconnected and I don't have any close friends to talk to (best friend/gf and I aren't talking) just things seem so bleak...

I know you might think "cry moar" but I'm not crying just wondering what to do

So anyone have any good stories of rough times? I'd love to read um

Thanks CAG

I usually just listen to alot of music to get my mind off things. Either that or paint/draw usually helps a good portion of the time.

Though I've noticed one way to forget all your troubles is if you eat some really unhealthy food and then wait a bit and take a horrible, terrifying shit. No longer will your worries be of the people or things around you, but trying to get that dookie out before it rips you in two.

Music and alcohol.

Though I've noticed one way to forget all your troubles is if you eat some really unhealthy food and then wait a bit and take a horrible, terrifying shit. No longer will your worries be of the people or things around you, but trying to get that dookie out before it rips you in two.

:rofl:

KenPark-Suicide.gif

[quote name='SuxoR']I'm just wondering what everyone does to just keep going when things seem bad. I'm not doing so well since schools started I don't have money for books and neither does my mom, my dads away and we can't help him, my family is disconnected and I don't have any close friends to talk to (best friend/gf and I aren't talking) just things seem so bleak...

Thanks CAG[/quote]

Depending on your age, I think work would possibly help your cause in buying books. You may not want to work, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. If no one can help you, you need to secure things yourself. Good luck.

I invest in RAPE PESOS. That always makes me feel better. But seriously. I just play a few games, read a few books, watch some movies. Anything to take my mind off of it.

[quote name='Oktoberfest']I spent the last minute trying to figure out if that animation is real...

but... play games![/quote]

It's not. It's from Ken Park, a terrible and fucked up film.

Sorry your friend isnt talking to you. I would say do some exercise. If you live pomona go run or ride a bike at bonelli park or something. Physical activity is relatively free and kind off keeps your mind of things. That or watch movies that you like or make you laugh.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I nearly lost my sight 6+ years ago, I listened to music (mainly the Matthew Good Band's "Beautiful Midnight" and "Audio of Being" CDs - it helped calm me down and see that things could be much worse. I also counted my blessings, and tried to appreciate things more after going through that. Drinking and drug use would've been a means of escape, but I can't imagine them being an effective tool to actually get through tough times - they'd just make things worse, and not do anything to solve the root cause of the problems.

Personally I think all the time, doing something else, doesn't help. My mind will always wonder back to the past. No matter what, drinkin, trippin, sitting there playing a videogame, it just doesn't work. I think the only time I stop thinking is when I do crunches because I just have to focus on doing more cuz it hurts.

Suggestions would be only the following: Mary Jane is your friend I don't care what you say! Keep your head up, there is nothing that can stop you. I mean seriously, you think you know what's next?... Here comes a curve ball, life's a test. Friends and girls aren't shit, they are replaceable, true friends aren't and won't leave you! Just keep close to your parents and immediate family. For real though, you just have to keep moving forward, just remember no matter how bad it could ever get, losing friends, girls, parents, taking your life is never an option! Hope it helps...

Hope everything gets better. Overall, just keep your chin up. just not so much that your neck'll break, or you'll have even more problems ;)

Talk with your teachers. If you really can't afford a book, usually they can do something to help you out.

Also, make some friends. Friends with the books you need.

If you seriously need a book... try to copy pages from a friend. Otherwise, learn everything online. Any topic you find in a textbook (at least undergraduate) is available online, usually for free.

Most schools will also grant you access to research libraries, use those. Teach yourself.

I wouldn't recommend drinking alone.

Go running and dont stop. Just keep running and running until you are so exhausted you just come home and sleep.

Its one of the best things you can do.

Go run.

Videogames, for one. Nothing like taking out my frustrations on something that can't fight back. Talking to some close friends helps, too. And although it might not seem too healthy, sleep can work wonders...at least it worked for me.

I dunno. That's the stuff that helps me get through the occasional rough patch.

Music, marathon gaming, women (or in your case... another woman), writing, sleeping... or just taking time to reflect on my life while walking through downtown around midnight.

Watch some comedies. Laugh and realize life has its ups and downs and no matter what happens somebody will always love you. I love you.

[quote name='SuxoR']I'm just wondering what everyone does to just keep going when things seem bad. I'm not doing so well since schools started I don't have money for books and neither does my mom, my dads away and we can't help him, my family is disconnected and I don't have any close friends to talk to (best friend/gf and I aren't talking) just things seem so bleak...

Thanks CAG[/quote]

When things aren't doing well I listen to my favorite comedians whether it is DVD, Youtube or whatever. That usually makes me feel better.

[quote name='SpeedyG']Rum is your friend...[/quote]

I thought the same thing until my liver crawled out my ass and hit me in the face. I have no exit strategy for life.

[quote name='the3rdkey']Watch some comedies.[/quote]

Oh I second this idea. The Daily Show has picked me up many-a-time.

Distract my mind. Usually, it'll be video games or something on tv or dvd but if I'm really stressed, I work out (and usually push myself about 20% harder than when not stressed). It's a great tension reliever. As for the book issue, I didn't have much money either in college* so I would usually go to the library or someone who had the book I needed & photocopied pages. It's actually a lot cheaper that way since you're paying for (at most) $10-$15 up front versus $60-$100. You really don't need to buy books new. The reason why the teacher recommends you do is often times, he's the author or a contributor to the book.

*until I bought my apartment & started a real estate business

[quote name='dopa345']I just keep it in perspective that by living in the U.S., we have it better than 99.9% of the rest of the world.[/quote]

Yeah well so does Japan and look at their suicide rates. I've always believed; the higher your highs, the lower your lows.

Write. Start a journal. I went through a rough patch not too long ago, and I found a lot of comfort with a digital journal on my computer. Time has passed, and things have gotten so much better for me. And now I occasionally open up a journal entry and read how bad things were. It puts in to perspective that things at the time may be really worse than they actually are.

It is bad..but I hit the drink alone. Either Patron, Grand Marnier, or some Havana Club Rum (though this is hard to find in the US). Usually I will just drink watching a movie until I fall asleep....

Videogames. Reading. Music. Writing, just to get your thoughts out of your head for awhile. It can also help offer new perspective.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I tried drinking.

That didn't go too well.

Try reaching out to friends and family. They certainly helped me out of my depression.[/QUOTE]
He has no friends and his family can't help.

Way to make him more depressed!

Wow first off I wasn't expecting all these replies, I love you CAGs :*]

You know I've been thinking about it and things could be worse, plus I have all of these people willing to give me ideas and try to help

Thanks a million guys I feel better already srs

And 3rdkey...I love you too man haha

[quote name='crystalklear64']He has no friends and his family can't help.

Way to make him more depressed![/QUOTE]

#-o I'm sorry, I really should learn to read the topic through before responding.

OP, are you sure you have *NO* current friends / Family to talk to? I just recently went through a depressing situation where one of my best friends (and semi-GF) pretty much dumped me for another dude. I got really depressed about it and I thought there was no one to turn to. I really thought about saying "fuck it" and doing something I surely would've regretted (if, you know I could regret it later). Turns out there's people out there who will help, you just have to open yourself up to them.

I second (or third, whatever it's up to) working out. Go running, lift some weights, find a punching bag, etc. It'll give you a chance to work out your frustrations, has the added benefit of being healthy, and there's something intangibly cool about knowing you basically just kicked your own ass when your arms, legs, and lungs are burning. It's a good kind of pain.

Or, if you're a funny drunk and not the kind who gets depressed while reflecting on life, a good buzz from some alcohol can do wonders in a pinch, but it's nothing I'd recommend on a regular basis for feeling down.

Hey man this might be a bad idea.. considering that you pretty much have to be a drug addict or alcoholic to be accepted there... but maybe giving NA/AA a try will help. For me, it's a good place to vent some anger/resentment/dysthymia whatever. If you're actually interested in this.. go to google and look up some meetings in your area. Go there and just be honest... there's always people willing to help at meetings.

Think about everything and put it into perspective (if you need to learn how to do this, I think Tao teachings are pretty enlightening). If a problem can be solved just go and do it. Like your money problem for books - either get a part time job or maybe sell some video games? I assume you're in college - sometimes professors put a copy of the book on reserve. Unless the class has you doing problems from the book, older versions are usually just as good.

I went through most of college not buying books.

Don't run from problems. If you don't try and solve them they'll always be lingering in the back of your mind; sometimes even ruining your happy moments. I started college as a computer science major, went through hell for two years because I didn't face the fact that I hated the subject. The first year I got passing grades but then 2nd year I started skipping classes and failing (even got a warning letter from the school). I felt like I was being pressured by my family to stick it out. I felt guilty if I went out so I basically did nothing for 2 years. But then I just finally said I had enough and switched majors. From then on everything went smoothly - got to hang out more, family didn't care about me switching majors.

bread's done
Back