What to do with old video game magazines?

erehwon

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
I'm cleaning out my closet and I found a small stack of EGM, OPM, and popular science magazines. I'm doing some cleaning to make room for other game stuff. I'm not quite sure what to do with them. Trade them or recycle them, I'm not sure. I wasn't sure if this was the right board for this topic.

EGM
Sept. through Holiday 2004
Feb. through June 2005

OPM (without CD)
March 2003
Nov. 2003
April through July 2005

Popular Science
Atleast a year or two of mags.

Most mags aren't worth more than a few bucks shipped IF you can find a buyer. If you think it's worth the trouble to you, then go ahead.

I had the same problem, I found about crap loads of old game informers in my basement, they were all from the early 90's, wasnt sure what to do with them, so I looked through them all to see if any are worth keeping, ended up throwing away 90% of them.

I got plenty of old (when it first came out) NewType USA mags, including the 1st issue....Just thought I'd throw that out there.

If you have a Half Priced Books, or other used bookstore near you, they may buy them. Don't expect much, but it's better than nothing.

[quote name='Prepster']I had the same problem, I found about crap loads of old game informers in my basement, they were all from the early 90's, wasnt sure what to do with them, so I looked through them all to see if any are worth keeping, ended up throwing away 90% of them.[/QUOTE]

I did that, think I kept about 35%. I kept all GI's (for the retro section), gamefans and nintendo powers, while only keeping others if they had significant coverage of a game or "all time" list I was interested in. But I have some older ones (the ones I already went through were 98 and later, these old ones are like 91-98) that I haven't gone through but are in a box in my basement. I expect those will have a much higher keep rate.

I threw a bunch of mine away just in the past week or two, nothing else I could really do with them. I kept the anniversary issues, issues that featured a system release and everything past 2002.

I might try a few local book stores. I wish I had a Half Priced Books. I've head some people getting some nice finds there.

I just put this up to get some ideas. I'll try the local book stores. If they and any Fort Wayne CAGs don't want them, I'll put them up on freecycle. I just joined them today.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i got a large amount of Old Nintendo Power, I should prob just send them to the circular file[/QUOTE]

How old? I'm assuming circular file is trash. My collection only goes back to a certain point, so I'd be interest in them.

i have Nintendo Powers all the way back to the ones that came out every two months...with the dates like November/December 1989.

I would say donate them to a library. They would probably not circulate them but possibly sell them at a cheap book sale. There's usually not much profit to be had anyway.

[quote name='Dingleberry']i have Nintendo Powers all the way back to the ones that came out every two months...with the dates like November/December 1989.[/QUOTE]

I'd take em, if you're getting rid of them. Then again, I don't really want to pay any more than it would cost to save em from the trash.

DONT Listen to them! they're trying to sabotage you!
i want your EGM 188! please... dont listen!

follow your heart... and gimme!

well...i'm looking for OPM Dec 2003 #75 which contain FFX-2 playable demo and FFX-2 prequel called "Eternal Calm". Anyone got it?

[quote name='Zantetsuken']well...i'm looking for OPM Dec 2003 #75 which contain FFX-2 playable demo and FFX-2 prequel called "Eternal Calm". Anyone got it?[/QUOTE]

oops...i trashed taht issue a long time ago :whistle2:#

[quote name='sandrokstar']DONT Listen to them! they're trying to sabotage you!
i want your EGM 188! please... dont listen!

follow your heart... and gimme![/QUOTE]

Are you serious? I have a ton of mags in my closet that i need to throw out, i threw out all of my issues just chillen around my room. If you really do want it, i could check for it before i toss them

[quote name='alonzomourning23']How old? I'm assuming circular file is trash. My collection only goes back to a certain point, so I'd be interest in them.[/QUOTE]

I dunno if its even worth it for ya, the box of them is heavy as hell, but if u are interested I might find out shipping

I'd say this is one of those "karma enhancement" opportunties. Unless you have a complete set or something special, they just aren't worth money. But sending old magazines out to fellow CAGers may increase your luck in other ways :) A year ago, someone sent me their complete Gamenow set for about cost . . . he still shines in my memory!

I also would pay shipping (plus a little) for old game magazines. I have lots of recent stuff but gave up many of my 1990s mags over the course of a few moves. Damn, I had EGM complete from 1993-1996 . . . damn, I wish I still did.

Anyway . . . I find them fun to flip through . . . pm me if anyone has something.

I would toss them after scanning whatever interesting articles were inside. I'm dating myself here I think, because back then the content wasn't mirrored on the Web...

I find old magazines interesting because they give you a perspective on how today's "old" games were viewed when they first came out. Of course, old magazines also take up a lot of storage pace and just aren't worth much cash to most people.

I'd donate them to a used book or thrift store (or some other charity) if you really want to get rid of them. Old magazines are too expensive to ship, but simply tossing them in the trash or a recycling bin would be a waste though since there are people that would enjoy them.

Doesn't anyone else find it amusing to read articles about the NES having mind blistering graphics, or the Jaguar being the wave of the future? I certainly do. I keep any old mag I get, though I'll probably trash my GI's from the last 4 years.

bread's done
Back