What was the last CD you bought? - The Sequel

[quote name='tcrash247']Anthrax - Worship Music
Primus - Green Naugahyde

Primus is my all time favorite band and I can't help but feel disappointed in this new album. It's not that it's bad, it's just that it sounds way more like Les' solo stuff. When they released the Animals EP, I absolutely loved it. It sounded like straight Primus. This new album is more like what Les has done in the last 4 years.

The guitar work isn't up to their standard, even though the guitar generally takes a back seat to the bass, but it's always been there and been awesome. The drumming is pretty boring as well and that surprises me since I know Jay can do some killer drumming like from Sausage. Maybe I need to give it a few more listens, I don't know. I wanted Primus and I got Les Claypool's Green Naugahyde.[/QUOTE]
How's the new Anthrax? I'm seeing them in October with Death Angel and Testament so I'm curious if I should pick this up or not.

[quote name='bardockkun']How's the new Anthrax? I'm seeing them in October with Death Angel and Testament so I'm curious if I should pick this up or not.[/QUOTE]

Really good! Definite pickup, imo.

[quote name='tcrash247']Really good! Definite pickup, imo.[/QUOTE]
Awesome! All I had to hear. I'll be ordering it in a bit then.

[quote name='Kilvas09']That last CD I bought was Pokemon - 2.B.A. MASTER. Eleven years ago. Quite possibly the best CD ever released and really the only CD you need to own a physical copy of.[/QUOTE]I've got mine! TEAM ROCKET'S ROCKIN'!!! WE CAN CAUSE A RIOT IN SUN-DAY SCHOOL AND WE'LL HAVE YOU BELIEVING, TRUTH CAN BE DECEIVING!!! DO UNTO OTHERS IS OUR GOL-DEN RUUUUUULE!!!

...Anyways...

Boston - Don't Look Back
Liz Phair - Liz Phair
Kittie - Spit
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete Soundtrack

Green Day - Dookie
Fired Up 2 Two-Disc Set
Fired Up 3 Disc Two

I've heard the new Anthrax is pretty great.

So I bought the whole lot of Hank III albums that were released this month.
Ghost To A Ghost/Guttertown is the "country" record. It's a double album where the first part is more country and the second is almost a concept album of sorts with a mystic journey through cajun land. Parts of the 2nd album are almost Zydeco in a way. It's very interesting, but the ambient stuff gets to be a bit much.
Overall you can tell that Hank III is missing that Curb money in terms of production as the album sounds rather thin and lacks focus compared to the nigh perfect production of Straight to Hell and Rebel Within.

Next up is Attention Defecit Domination which is a doom metal album where Hank III plays all of the instruments. This is impressive since it's actually pretty good musically but it's also unfortunate in that it's rather stoic sounding. There's no interplay between musicians because it's just one guy that is multi-tracked. I feel the same way about Burzum albums, I'd love to hear it in the context of a band... Anyhow, this is actually some pretty good and tasteful stuff despite the production being a bit rough.

Lastly, and certainly least, is 3 Bar Ranch: Cattle Callin' which is sampled Cattle Auctioneers used as vocals over messy thrash. It's an interesting idea, but not 23 songs and 70 minutes worth of interesting. Production value is pretty terrible here and it's just kind of an all around mess. Maybe two three minute songs on the ADD record would have served as an insight into the artistic endeavor, but as it is this album wears out its welcome at about the 10 minute mark and I highly doubt I'll ever listen to the whole thing.

Still, the dude released FOUR albums on one day. That's fairly impressive even if one of them never should have seen the light of day.

I've always been wondering this and maybe you could answer: I haven't found any of his solo stuff that I've enjoyed, but the tracks he did for the Eyehategod tribute (as The Unholy 3) were awesome. Does he have anything that sounds like that?

I didn't know Hank III had new stuff available. I don't really follow him all that much and I don't like country at all, but I really enjoyed Assjack and what he did with Phil in Superjoint Ritual. I previewed some of the ADD stuff and it sounds pretty cool. I also checked out the tracks he did on the Eyehategod tribute and they sound awesome. ADD is kinda like that, but not as sludgy. I'll try and get a hold of the ADD album for sure.

Some stuff I got from Amazon today:

Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? 25th Anniversary Remaster.
YOB - The Unreal Never Lived
Sebastian - Total

tcrash would be a better source for that side of Hank III than I am. I've loved his neotraditionalist country ever since Risin' Outlaw and have only missed one time through town from him in the last decade.

New Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare. I bought the Best Buy version for the bonus tracks (and because it was 9.99, and I had best buy gift card). (Yes it came out last week, it was delayed, but BB gave me 5.00 gift coupon for the inconvenience - didn't mind because I was out of town all weekend anyway.)
Love the Coop. Wish he was coming back to my town, the Theater of Death tour was one of the greatest concerts I've been to.

Pearl Jam - Twenty Soundtrack
Pearl Jam - Backspacer

I'm really pissed, on the back of Twenty they have a picture of a handwritten tracklisting and they wrote Bugs from Philadelphia on 10/31/09 (the show I went to) but crossed it out, BAH.

Fight - K5: The War of Words Demos

I don't really buy CDs anymore, but picked this up at the Borders near where I used to live when visiting my mom a few weeks back. I figured, I like Rob Halford and for $4.something, it's hard to go wrong. It sounds really good, especially considering it's supposed to be demos for the most part (there was I think four new songs).

[quote name='dmaul1114']Pearl Jam Twenty Soundtrack.

Going to see the documentary at 9:30 as well.[/QUOTE]

The PJ20 documentary was outstanding. Highly recommend it to any PJ fans. Its out of all but a few theaters, but will be out on DVD/BR next month. Think it airs on PBS as well, but I'd assume they'd censor a lot of language etc. out of it.

Sarah McLaughlin - Surfacing
Travis - The Invisible Band

waiting for the rerelease of Nevermind. Can't believe its been 20 years. Holy shit I'm old.

Mastodon- The Hunter

Came with a free poster at my record store :D.

I also have coming in the mail whenever they decide to come.
Steven Wilson- Grace For Drowning
Opeth- Heritage (been waiting a week now for this one to ship).

Mastodon - The Hunter
Nirvana - Nevermind Remaster (2CD Deluxe Edition)
In Flames - Sounds of a Playground Fading
The Prodigy - More Music for a Jilted Generation

Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn Of Events

I thought about getting the Pink Floyd "Dark Side" Immersion box set but something tells me that it'll drop in price sooner or later. The sound quality at least on the Blu-Ray I hear is supposed to be phenominal. Just not worth $100+ for me just for that.

[quote name='tcrash247']Mastodon - The Hunter
[/QUOTE]

I need to go grab that. I heard one song off it and it was good stuff. How is the rest of the album?

[quote name='jello44']I need to go grab that. I heard one song off it and it was good stuff. How is the rest of the album?[/QUOTE]
I am really enjoying the album. I think it's good stuff. I would say it's worth a purchase.

Yes, I agree. I feel like it's a cross between Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye, but possibly better than both those albums. Some of the tracks on The Hunter are classics already, Blasteroids being my favorite. Mastodon is one of my favorite bands of the 2000's and this album doesn't disappoint at all.

Received from Amazon today:
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Winterland 5 CD box set
Boys Noize - Power

Waiting anxiously another 22-25 hours to get Feist - Metals.

EDIT: Finally got it. Absolutely awesome, start to finish (a rare thing these days). With Arcade Fire throwing a wrench in the works and winning the AOTY Grammy last year, maybe she's finally got a shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Agalloch- Pale Folklore
Agalloch- The Mantle[/QUOTE]

This must be discussed. I'd love to have a discussion once you have given these a thorough listen. I'm a massive Agalloch fan.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Brutal Truth - End Time (Deluxe Weed Scented Edition)[/QUOTE]

Same here! My weed smelling cd smells like shit though.

Oh and I bought the new Mastodon. Its good but its a bit of a grower.

[quote name='Xevious']Same here! My weed smelling cd smells like shit though.

Oh and I bought the new Mastodon. Its good but its a bit of a grower.[/QUOTE]

It is a grower, but it didn't take long to grow on me. The first time I listened to it I said "What the fuck is this?" But after 2 listens I really liked it. The only thing I don't like about it, and them, is they try and sing for real now. They're a metal band, I'd much rather have yelling and growling like from Leviathan and Remission. Plus, they can't sing for shit live most of the time, especially Brent. They must work on the vocals like crazy on the album.

Last e-CD bought:
Dead Milkmen: The King in Yellow. Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.
Last physical CD:
Misfits - Devil's Rain
Not bad. No real standout tracks yet but I'm enjoying listening to it. Only spun it 1 1/2 times in the car.

[quote name='Nifty_Shark']This must be discussed. I'd love to have a discussion once you have given these a thorough listen. I'm a massive Agalloch fan.[/QUOTE]
Well while I only listened to these both once, I can say I am already highly in love with the band. It just blends a post rock sound with some folk influences and I really think it's beautiful. I am defiantly going to order their other two CD's at some point. Probably in November once I pay off my new Kindle and other games.

bread's done
Back