What was the last CD you bought? - The Sequel

This week I got:
Norah Jones - Little Broken Hearts
The Shins - Port of Morrow

Finally got around to listening to my 3 albums I purchased during the Google Music Tax Day Sale:

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
WZRD - WZRD
The Black Keys - Rubber Factory

All the above are awesome. Nice little catch ups at $2.99 each!

[quote name='tcrash247']Torche - Harmonicraft
Joe Walsh - The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get
Joe Walsh - But Seriously, Folks...[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize that Torche's new one was out. How is it?

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']I didn't realize that Torche's new one was out. How is it?[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'm disappointed, which pisses me off because Kicking was so Torche and a fantastic single. The album overall is not sludgy or upbeat, it falls somewhere in the middle and comes off kind of boring and just ok. Maybe I need to give it a few more listens, but it didn't make me feel filthy (in a good way) like their self titled and didn't kick me in the teeth with fun, awesome songs like Meanderthal. Give it a try for sure, some of the songs are really good such as the first few, but don't keep your hopes up and expectations high like I did.

Well shit, that's lame. I personally found Meanderthal to be a little weak after their S/T so hearing this is weaker is annoying. I'll still probably give it a listen but now with lowered expectations.

Latest Pickups
Nine Inch Nails- The Slip ($2.50 at a flea market. It's the version with the DVD too).
Nine Inch Nails- Ghosts 1-IV
Eluveitie- Helvetios
Storm Corrosion- Storm Corrosion
Arjen Anthony Lucassen- Lost In The New Real
Wumpscut- Women and Satan First
Enter The Haggis- Whitelake

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up the Metric album as well. So far it has a little different vibe than their last album, I need to give it some more play time to get a good opinion on it.

For hip hop fans, earlier this year I bought:

The Doppelgangaz - Lone Sharks

Pretty damn good album.

[quote name='antlp89']Picked up the Metric album as well. So far it has a little different vibe than their last album, I need to give it some more play time to get a good opinion on it.
[/QUOTE]
Each of their albums always have a distinct different feel to them (which I always appreciate) and this one is definitely no different. Way more dance and synth heavy and it kinda feels like one of those albums that would benefit alot more from hearing it live. Overall it's not my favorite, but still a fun listen and I figure I'll gain better appreciation when I see them live...in October.

Also AmazonLocal has $4 off any $7.99 MP3 album and up. Decided to pick up Cancer Bats - Dead Set on Living.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='bardockkun']Each of their albums always have a distinct different feel to them (which I always appreciate) and this one is definitely no different. Way more dance and synth heavy and it kinda feels like one of those albums that would benefit alot more from hearing it live. Overall it's not my favorite, but still a fun listen and I figure I'll gain better appreciation when I see them live...in October.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah I've enjoyed all of their past albums and I'm sure I'll enjoy this one as well when I find some time to listen to it.

I love me some Metric.

I also got Metric's Synthetica and "Can I Keep This Pen?" by Northern State from Amazon yesterday. Synthetica is going to be one that grows on me, I already had a few tracks caught in my head today, so that's good. Not as many hooks as their previous stuff, but its good so far.

[quote name='dallow']
Luckily a CD I've been wanting for 5+ years and have never seen in store or on ebay (i have an alert) finally showed up. Auction ends tomorrow, it will be mine at any price.[/QUOTE]

You can't drop a cliffhanger like that and not follow up!

Purchases:
Slash - Apocalyptic Love delux ed.
The Beatles - 1967-1970 (2 disc)
Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin II
Jefferson Airplane - The worst of Jefferson Airplane
Van Halen - Van Halen II
NIN - "the perfect drug" versions

My haul since my last post last month or ones that I forgot...

Cynic- Focus
Cynic- Traced In Air
Yes- Fragile
Circus Maximus- Nine
Opeth- Ghost Reveries
The Mars Volta- De-Loused In The Comatorium
The Mars Volta- Francis The Mute
Sonata Arctica- Stones Grow Her Name
Affector- Harmageddon
Rush- Clockwork Angels
Joe Bonamassa- Driving Towards The Daylight

I also have the new Lights Out Asia coming but the fuckers at Amazon are still waiting on stock.

Japandroids - Celebration Rock

2.99 at Amazon and totally worth it. Great rock album. I need to check out their first album because this one is fucking brilliant.

went to fye and best buy and got these-
Led Zeppelin- How The West Was Won (3cds)
Smashing Pumpkins- Oceania(really good!)
Rush- Clockwork Angels(awesome!)

Linkin Park - Living Things. I keep thinking "This will be the one where they go back to the Hybrid Theory / Meteora style" and end up buying every new album they release. Then I actually listen to the album and end up wanting to snap the CD in half. I think I'm finally done new LP albums after this.

Lights Out Asia- Hy-Brazil
The Flower Kings- Banks of Eden
Dream Theater- Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory (Just need Train of thought and Systematic Chaos for a complete studio discography).
Metallica- Death Magnetic ($2.50 used. I refuse to buy Metallica CD's new).

Kendrick Lamar - section 80
Regina Spektor - what we saw from the cheap seats
The Wombats - This Modern Glitch
Of Monsters and Men - My Head in an Animal

[quote name='tcrash247']Really good, totally Gojira. If you liked their last album you'll like this.[/QUOTE]

Awesome, I've enjoyed most of their stuff.

Lamb of God: Resolution
Lamb of God: Sacrement
Unearth: The Strings of Conscience

Since I posted this in the wrong thread (recent movies) and just in response to tcrash, I like Resolution. Not the best, but it's a fun listen.

[quote name='tcrash247']I just thought it was kind of bland, not to say it's bad but I think it could have been better. You just supported a murderer![/QUOTE]
An "alleged" murderer. If pushing someone off stage counts as manslaughter then I dare say nearly every metal show I've been to has been an involuntary manslaughter fest! Which is also a great name for a band, "Involuntary Manslaughter Fest".

Wow, did not know this thread exist. I'll probably stick around here for a little. Last one I bought was Via Coma's "Figures" album. I preordered it during their Kickstarter project. I'm just waiting for the rest of the stuff that came with my package.

Last one I physically had in my hand has been awhile. I think it was either Thrice's "Major/Minor" album or City and Colour's "Little Hell". Those were last year. I haven't bought a cd in awhile cause I feel there hasn't been much good for me to buy.

Decided to get B.o.B.: Strange Clouds and Black Keys: El Camino for 99 cents each from the Amazon MP3 album sale. Haven't been digging on B.o.B.'s singles for his newest album compared to his first, but for that price (even if it sucks) it's hard to feel super ripped off.

obie trice(real name no gimmicks) bottoms up
Dr. Dre Chronic 2001(re-purchase)
Fab There is no competition 2
Jadakiss consignment

Weezer-Pinkerton
Bush- The Science of Things

Using some Amazon MP3 credit to get some albums in bands discographies I missed over the years.

echolyn - echolyn (24/88 FLAC release via Bandcamp page)
Fantastic album. It's a slight step down from my personal favorite of theirs (Cowboy Poems Free) but well worth buying. If you love prog rock but want more down to Earth lyrics instead of the typical lyrics you hear in bands like Yes, Genesis, and such certainly give echolyn a chance.

Asia - XXX Deluxe Edition
I'll admit this isn't the best Asia album since the reunion of the original formation but its still quite good. The bonus track Reno (Silver And Gold) is decent enough to warrant purchasing the deluxe edition. Still wish they would legitimately release the Japan bonus track from their last album here (that being Drop A Stone which is a very unusual by Asia standards blues rock song).

[quote name='Demolition Man']echolyn - echolyn (24/88 FLAC release via Bandcamp page)
Fantastic album. It's a slight step down from my personal favorite of theirs (Cowboy Poems Free) but well worth buying. If you love prog rock but want more down to Earth lyrics instead of the typical lyrics you hear in bands like Yes, Genesis, and such certainly give echolyn a chance.

[/QUOTE]
How much was the bandcamp download for the Echolyn album? Amazon has a download for $18, and the CD for $24 which is ridiculous. I would of liked to grab a CD version if it was cheap.

I listened to some snippets and the sound they have sounds like bands like The Flower Kings or The Tangent which I like so I would like to check them out but way too expensive right now for my tastes.

Latest Grabs...

The Gathering- Home
The Gathering- Souvenirs
Subterranean Masquerade- Suspended Animation Dreams
Baroness- Blue Record
Baroness- Yellow And Green (should get it tomorrow)

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Latest Grabs...

The Gathering- Home
The Gathering- Souvenirs
Subterranean Masquerade- Suspended Animation Dreams
Baroness- Blue Record
Baroness- Yellow And Green (should get it tomorrow)[/QUOTE]

I hope Yellow and Green are as good as Red Album, Blue was a bit of a letdown compared to how epic Red was.

[quote name='tcrash247']I hope Yellow and Green are as good as Red Album, Blue was a bit of a letdown compared to how epic Red was.[/QUOTE]

Prepare to be disappointed. A lot. Especially if you thought Blue was a let down.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Prepare to be disappointed. A lot. Especially if you thought Blue was a let down.[/QUOTE]

fuck. I know it's online, but I wanted to buy it before I listened to it. Maybe I better go listen to see if it's worth the purchase.

I'm still going to grab a copy sometime soon because I enjoyed enough of it, but they're definitely not the same band as the one that made First, Second and Red Album. They've almost completely lost the sludge aspect at this point and are now pretty much just a good rock band.

Yeah, I listened to about 20 minutes of it and had to turn it off. Not to say it's not good but I need to be in the mood to listen to something that slow. I'll probably pick it up anyway, I listen to Blue once in a while, but not as much as First, Second or Red.

bread's done
Back