What year is it? EGM and GameFan first issues out NOW!

TheHammerGod

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
I saw the thread for the new Electronic Gaming Monthly and boy does that magazine look great! I was at Barnes and Noble picking it up and what was next to it? GameFan Issue 1!

4589550627_982e286aa4.jpg

Now I was a big fan of both magazines back in the day and was well aware of EGMs return but GameFan? Totally under the radar! I flipped through it and the first two thoughts that popped into my head were: "this thing is huge" and "the layout is very confusing".

I wound up putting it back as it did not really appeal to me at this stage in the game, but I may wind up picking it up since it may not last that long. The magazine flips over and there is a movie magazine on the flip side, all very interesting and strange.

Pick it up if you want, EGM, GameFan and Game Pro all on the newstands... for a little while anyways.

I love gamefan!
However... I'm not giving them another dime.
They still owe me a good number of issues (14 or so) from my last subscription which magically went dead.
Same deal with EGM and Play.
Most of these publishers deserve to rot in Hell.

The new EGM has more substance than it did for the past few years. It was definitely a good read!

Now I feel old; still have a GameFan magazine where they reviewed Ghost In The Shell, as in the VHS release.

[quote name='Rozz']The new EGM has more substance than it did for the past few years. It was definitely a good read![/QUOTE]

Agreed, new EGM was a great read.

Though I haven't anything about a new GameFan either, so I'm not sure what to think. Interesting to note the GameFan has games listed on the cover none of the other magazines would dare to have anywhere close to the cover, i.e Sakura Wars.

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2010/04/gamefan-issue-1-is-done.html

Not the magazine but rather some news about it.

[quote name='animalspinners']Though I haven't anything about a new GameFan either, so I'm not sure what to think. Interesting to note the GameFan has games listed on the cover none of the other magazines would dare to have anywhere close to the cover, i.e Sakura Wars.[/QUOTE]

That was what always made the original so great. They covered RPGs at a time when they weren't huge (pre-FF7). In their prime EGM and GameFan were probably the two best gaming magazines ever.

[quote name='wbc1228']They still owe me a good number of issues (14 or so) from my last subscription which magically went dead.
Same deal with EGM and Play.[/QUOTE]

For EGM they gave me a free subscription to Maxim... which was totally worthless.

Wait.. GameFan? I didn't know that was back...

BTW, where are you guys finding these mags? I've looked for them at my local grocery store's magazine stand and found nothing.

I'll always have a soft spot for Ultra Game Players & Gamefan. Those were the best times of being a gamer, no internet & ignorant.

[quote name='Vinny']Wait.. GameFan? I didn't know that was back...

BTW, where are you guys finding these mags? I've looked for them at my local grocery store's magazine stand and found nothing.[/QUOTE]
So far, I've seen GameFan at Borders and the new EGM... at my local grocery store.

[quote name='wbc1228']I love gamefan!
However... I'm not giving them another dime.
They still owe me a good number of issues (14 or so) from my last subscription which magically went dead.
Same deal with EGM and Play.
Most of these publishers deserve to rot in Hell.[/QUOTE]

Well EGM is not with ZiFF anymore. So you can buy their magazine without all the crap.

Sadly, Sean Baby still works for EGM:( Only bad thing about the magazine now.

What I find very interesting is the extreme opposite paths both magazines took in returning to news stands. It should be noted that both magazines were purchased and relaunched by their original Editor-in-Chiefs so these are no "corporate knock-offs".

Electronic Gaming Monthly has taken a page from UK publications like Edge and GamesTM in having longer more in depth mature articles and interviews. Their lengthy interview with David Jasper (spelling?) is one of the best interviews you will read in a video game magazine. They have a very strong internet presence with a version called EGMi included with the magazine and subscriptions. They announced the magazines return months ago and have been promoting it ever since.

GameFan on the other hand appeared out of no where. The web site http://diehardgamefan.com/ is not affiliated with the magazine and in fact the editor-in-chief gave them the rights to use it last year. They jacked up the page size (think old Rolling Stone or Sporting News), made it a flip magazine with MovieFan and retained the originals helter-skelter layout and design.

I hope both survive but the contrasts are worth noting, more so considering they are both reappearing within weeks of each other.

I picked up Gamefan at Barnes & Noble yesterday. It was a fun read and they have certainly dedicated quite a bit of space to games that most other magazines haven't even touched on. It was refreshing, really.

I loved Gamefan but like some of you I was screwed when they mysterious vanished and I lost a year and 1/2 of my subcription. No refund or substitue subscription, no return calls. I will pass but EGM they at least substitued Computer Video Game Mag which stunk but was better than nothing so I would give them a try again.

I'm so torn. I grew up on EGM and Gamefan. I worshipped Dave Halverson back in the day. But, I don't know......Play was just "eh" and what I've seen of this new Gamefan is just sucky. All I saw that was game related on the website was a review for prison break and a column about ducktales. Really? Pass.

I also got the new EGM. I'm even a fan of Steve Harris' on facebook and subscribed to the new EGM. I'm not digging it either. I don't care for the layout, the art direction (screams of GMR), and the columns didn't interest me much either.

As weird as it feels saying it....my fave game mag right now is OXM followed by Game Informer. They're the most traditional. They're not trying to be anything that a solid, reputable and *dare I say it* fun videogame magazine focused on videogames. Gamefan is all over the frigging place and EGM is so focused on being an industry rag (which I usually love), that I'm just turned off. Weird to think that two of my childhood and early adulthood staples aren't what they used to be. What's next? Nintendo turning its back on a generation of gamers? DOH!!

I found the new EGM at Barnes & Nobel after checking Borders. No luck on the new GameFan though. It's amazing how they've downsized their video game mags... they used to carry a ton.

[quote name='Puffa469']Can I subscribe to the new EGM? I'm not paying $7 an issue on the newstand. But I would pay $20 for a year.[/QUOTE]

There's a card in my issue for a 1 year sub for $25.

[quote name='Vinny']I found the new EGM at Barnes & Nobel after checking Borders. No luck on the new GameFan though. It's amazing how they've downsized their video game mags... they used to carry a ton.

There's a card in my issue for a 1 year sub for $25.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I'll grab a copy on my way home and subscribe. I miss EGM. I'm still getting stupid MAXIM every month that's suppossed to be EGM.

bread's done
Back